How many personalities does Deadpool have?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by milleniumcyke (70 posts) - - Show Bio

As I'm reading some of Deadpool's more recent stuff I noticed he has a couple differently styled thougt balloons. I'm not an avid reader and was wondering if it they represent different personalities or does one of them relate to somethings specific? This wasn't how he was written back in the Cable and Deadpool days. Thanks!
#2 Posted by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just something Daniel Way come up with. Some times i think it works... sometimes it comes across forced and totally unfunny.

#3 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio

For what i saw he have two, Daniel Way (Crazy and Funny) and the Normal Deadpool.

#4 Edited by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

recently i've started to think that the white box is the writer in Deadpools head. He's always had the yellow box, but he rarely used to actually speak to it.

#5 Posted by bob agent of agency x (231 posts) - - Show Bio

considering his sanity, alot. 

#6 Posted by DH69 (4324 posts) - - Show Bio

easy deadpool white, and deadpool yellow.

#7 Posted by ComicMan24 (147292 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know that Deadpool had multiple personalities, I thought he was just insane.
#8 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
"I didn't know that Deadpool had multiple personalities, I thought he was just insane. "

I dont think he is insane, i think he just know that he is a comic book character a like that, then give to the fans what they want. 
Like the Joker, who so many times show that he also knows he is in a comic.
#9 Posted by arcanineryu (130 posts) - - Show Bio

wasent it 27?  
with 2 main ones?
#10 Posted by ReverseNegative (2974 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: He is insane, and the multiple personallities make him MORE insane.
I loved Suicide Kings when he'd be in an intense battle while thinking about something completely unrelated.
#11 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio

When exactly did the extra personalities show up and how? They weren't around at the end of Cable & Deadpool, but they were there at the beginning of the new Deadpool series (I think). Was there any explanation?

#12 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

Ask Mr.Owl.
#13 Posted by LightBright (4086 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" When exactly did the extra personalities show up and how? They weren't around at the end of Cable & Deadpool, but they were there at the beginning of the new Deadpool series (I think). Was there any explanation? "
Well first some idiot decided Daniel Way was a good pick to write the series...
#14 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio
@LightBright: Did they show them showing up in a comic? I thought I remembered seeing a scan, but I don't really remember it too well.
#15 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

i was under the impression he had voices in his head, not separate personalities that he himself 
toggled between.

#16 Posted by LightBright (4086 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @LightBright: Did they show them showing up in a comic? I thought I remembered seeing a scan, but I don't really remember it too well. "
They just somehow manifested at random with no real explanation. He never had them before and it was an unnecessary addition to the character. That and Pool-o-vision, or whatever the hell it's called.
#17 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: Yeah, I guess that's more accurate.
#18 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio
@LightBright: Hmm, okay so I guess I didn't miss anything. I had read probably every Deadpool published, then all of a sudden those two things showed up. I was wondering if I had skipped one issue or something.
#19 Posted by LightBright (4086 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @LightBright: Hmm, okay so I guess I didn't miss anything. I had read probably every Deadpool published, then all of a sudden those two things showed up. I was wondering if I had skipped one issue or something. "
That happened to me too.  

I absolutely loved Cable and Deadpool and am currently reading my way through the older stuff, but I can't get into the new series no matter how hard I try. It's pretty lame.
#20 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree here as well. As far as I had seen they just kind of " showed up all of the sudden ".
I personally see it less of a character trait and more of the writer slapping more 4th wall breaking
into the book.

#21 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1398 posts) - - Show Bio
@the ace of knaves said:
" recently i've started to think that the white box is the writer in Deadpools head. He's always had the yellow box, but he rarely used to actually speak to it. "
The way I've always seen the yellow boxes (as when he talks to it) as him talking to the mdeium itself (reader or writer or cliche). The white box was just adding on to that.
#22 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: In Wolverine: The End, Wolverine somehow has Xavier's consciousness inside his mind and talks to it. I thought the white box might be something like that, but they haven't said anything like that so far.
#23 Edited by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: 
I loved that book. Thanks for making me think about about it.
#24 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't have any other personalities or voices really. They're just a plot device since Daniel Way is uncreative enough to come up with a new character. There is no rhyme, reason or explanation for them, Daniel Way decided Deadpool was psychotic suddenly and BAMN! Extra narration. 

Hopefully someone with talent and the ability to craft a story with a central cast will come along and drop them as quickly as they suddenly appeared.

#25 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito said:
" He doesn't have any other personalities or voices really. They're just a plot device since Daniel Way is uncreative enough to come up with a new character. There is no rhyme, reason or explanation for them, Daniel Way decided Deadpool was psychotic suddenly and BAMN! Extra narration.   Hopefully someone with talent and the ability to craft a story with a central cast will come along and drop them as quickly as they suddenly appeared. "
Yellow Boxes Is not Deadpool in Voice Off?
Since there is not voice in the comic the boxes are used like voice off is used in movies.
#26 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000: ...dude I wish I could give you an answer to that, but I have no idea what you said. I'm not trying to be insulting, but your English needs a bit of fine tuning.

What I'm saying is this: It's a plot device. It's going to disappear when someone else comes along to write the series. Look at Cable and Deadpool: He had memory problems out of nowhere, that were cured, and he was immune to psychics and his erratic behavior was caused by 'constant healing' and the 'too fast regenerating brain cells blah blah blah". All of this will be forgotten when a new writer comes in, ergo: there are no other voices, there's just bad writing by a Georgia hick with no literary experience.
#27 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (603 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito: I think what DeadpooltheT1000 means is that the yellow boxes would represent a thought, but without Deadpool actually speaking it. Kind of when you say something, and think of something else whilst not saying it.

On topic: I simply assume that the yellow text boxes are Deadpool's thoughts, often directed to the readers. The white text boxes a response by the writer or even assumed by an anonymous reader.
But yeah, there hasn't been any explanation at all on where these boxes ( especially the white one ) came from. Pool-o-vision doesn't completely disturb me that much, since it isn't used that often + you can always assume that Deadpool always had a different way to look upon his "reality" since he knows he's a comic book character. And that he recently learned to utilize this knowledge to "transform" his perception of reality a bit.
But again; there has never been any explanation on where this came from.

Basically; it really just is Daniel Way's interpretation of Deadpool, which leaves you to fill in the blanks as you wish. But he definably didn't have multiple personality disorder.
#28 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir: Way *might* be attempting to explain it when Dr. Bong shows up again, at least he hinted at something like that at Comic-Con.
#29 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (603 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito: Hmm. Interesting, I'm curious how he'll explain something like that. I mean, I get the fact that different writers have a different take on a character, but adding such rather big changes to a character would require at least a bit explaining. Readers are somewhat confused, and left to fill in the blanks themselves for 30ish issues.
#30 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir: Well I'm not expecting much. This is Daniel Way. He's pretty big on taking cop-outs. 

Hell I've heard theories from stuff like "It's leftover from the symbiote mess at the end of C&DP" to "It's part of the Black Swan/Nijo stuff!"

It's just disappointing because it's just bad writing thrown on top of an already complex character. The man didn't take anything into consideration. He just wanted something to make really forced jokes/comments. 

I'm hoping that since sales are slowly slipping, that they'll replace him before sales get down to less than average. Seriously, between Duane What'sisface, Rick Remender, Van Lente (if he doesn't have too much on his plate), and now Jeff Parker (the latest team-up issue was fucking fantastic), I'm sure they can find someone with the ability to plot and explain away the voices.
#31 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (603 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito: Duane Swierczynski! I love that guy ( or at least his take on Deadpool, not the guy himself per sé :P )! He, according to me, offered one of the best Deadpool books around lately. I totally loved his Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War and Deadpool & Cable 25. Yeah, I'd love to see an ongoing by him. Remender will already have his shot with Uncanny X-Force, lets see what he does with that.
#32 Posted by D3athstroke (4615 posts) - - Show Bio

#33 Posted by D3athstroke (4615 posts) - - Show Bio

#34 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@D3athstroke: What's your point?
#35 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir: I loved how in Cable 25 that Deadpool got his inner monologue back (the yellow boxes) and the White box appeared to be the writer. Or at the very least, a separate voice arguing with his own inner monologue. With Way we get Deadpool's voice, the yellow box being a separate voice for some reason, and the white boxes. BIG fail.
#36 Posted by D3athstroke (4615 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito: Name of Thread is "How many personalities does Deadpool have?" Answer is 7 
#37 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@D3athstroke: A: That was a construction by Nightmare, somehow I doubt it is very truthful

B: He's not really psychotic nor suffering from Multiple Personalities

C: The voices are a plot device, not actually in continuity. They'll go away when Way dies a horrible horrible firey death.
#38 Posted by HarlequinKiss (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought just 3... There's his speech, then two minds. But I dunno... It may depend on the writer.

#39 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir said:

" @Capo_Del_Bandito: I think what DeadpooltheT1000 means is that the yellow boxes would represent a thought, but without Deadpool actually speaking it. Kind of when you say something, and think of something else whilst not saying it.

On topic: I simply assume that the yellow text boxes are Deadpool's thoughts, often directed to the readers. The white text boxes a response by the writer or even assumed by an anonymous reader.
But yeah, there hasn't been any explanation at all on where these boxes ( especially the white one ) came from. Pool-o-vision doesn't completely disturb me that much, since it isn't used that often + you can always assume that Deadpool always had a different way to look upon his "reality" since he knows he's a comic book character. And that he recently learned to utilize this knowledge to "transform" his perception of reality a bit.
But again; there has never been any explanation on where this came from.

Basically; it really just is Daniel Way's interpretation of Deadpool, which leaves you to fill in the blanks as you wish. But he definably didn't have multiple personality disorder. "

Yeah, that was my point, the voice are not inside of his head.
Is like in The Wonder Years show, where Old Kevin Arnold tell us the story and some random things. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykOSd8ElK8&feature=related
I hate that Firefox dont let you upload videos here.
#40 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000: Eh, Way *might* answer some of it in the current arc. Dr. Bong making an appearance and all (Way is trying to show he knows the sources material. He may have read it but he definitely doesn't understand it in the least). 

But in leaving it just up to the fans, it'd be nice if he gave us some solid ideas behind it. It's like giving hard liquor to a paranoid skitzo, you don't know what exactly is going to happen but you have some ideas, but nothing concrete.
#41 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito said:
" @DeathpooltheT1000: Eh, Way *might* answer some of it in the current arc. Dr. Bong making an appearance and all (Way is trying to show he knows the sources material. He may have read it but he definitely doesn't understand it in the least).   But in leaving it just up to the fans, it'd be nice if he gave us some solid ideas behind it. It's like giving hard liquor to a paranoid skitzo, you don't know what exactly is going to happen but you have some ideas, but nothing concrete. "
If he is with you, he will talk about how awesome Daniel Way is!!!!
Hahahahaha, sorry but i have to writte it.
#42 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000: *rimshot*
#43 Posted by GT-Man (4039 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many for anyone to comprehend
#44 Posted by Ultimate JSA (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool & Headpool

from what i know he has two just like the picture above
#45 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio

Did people notice, the fact the white box one, do not the same letter font that the speech ballons, but the yellow box does.
It means, is Deadpool voice, what mean that my Wonder Years theory makes sense.

#46 Edited by notarandomguy (318 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally agree with you guys. 

First i love deadpool he's one of marvel best comic book characters then, second i think the pool-o-vision really doesn't affect the plot so, FAIL for you!!! he has the right to look the world in a different perspective, after all, we are talking about him right? Third you should read the 1997 series from issue #61 to #64 trust me it'll help and that one is one of the best deaedpool series, it also explain a little bit more about his mental problem saying that it was caused by the Black swan so, read it it has 71 issues and is kinda cool much better than Way new story arcs. Any who if you still wonder what is it then you weren't made for comics try reading manga i heard naruto and one piece are good Deadpool rocks and yeah you'll probaly start trolling my reply but i don't care, i'm 17 years old and i've read my cousin colleccion from 1993 to 2010 deadpool new series issue #28 so if you love deadpool stop complaining about the writter and go to the old comic books that'll help

#47 Posted by The Lobster (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on the writer.

Daniel Way writes it as just two voices. 
Although Christopher Hastings and Duane Schiwerzinski write the white box as the writer of the book and the yellow box as Deadpools internal monologue. 

Then we have Rick Remender who doesn't even use the voices at all.

#48 Posted by Dracade102 (8451 posts) - - Show Bio

What about... 
This one?

#49 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102: What's that from?
#50 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14785 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Lobster said:
It all depends on the writer.  Daniel Way writes it as just two voices.  Although Christopher Hastings and Duane Schiwerzinski write the white box as the writer of the book and the yellow box as Deadpools internal monologue.   Then we have Rick Remender who doesn't even use the voices at all.
Evidence that those voice dont came from his mind and that Deadpool is not FREACKING INSANE!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.