FOXpool spin-off should continue to disappoint

#1 Edited by Taurian (5 posts) - - Show Bio

No need to beat a dead horse about how Fox "mutilated" our beloved Merc with(out) a Mouth.  As much as I'm excited to see 2 hours being dedicated to 'Pool and being played by a semi-fanboy in Reynolds, the fact that Fox yet again is hell bent on taking liberties that further deviate from the original character, is totally killing my enthusiasm for this movie.

Just read this article which states that DP will have the smart-ass remarks (cool), be diagnosed with cancer (great), self-regenerating healing powers (awesome), heightened physical & athletic abilities (ok), AND will be able to absorb the abilities of dead and captured mutants. (WTF?!)  Why Fox, WHY?!  So yet again, this FOXpool that we end up seeing should continue the Fox trend of butchering perfectly adequate Marvel characters.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.eonline.com/wolverines-ryan-reynolds-dives-deadpool-spinoff-20090506

#2 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9601 posts) - - Show Bio

why doesnt marvel just stop selling characters to fox COMPLETELY and just make thier own movies like they did with iron man

#3 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

Get over it

Staff
#4 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh close enough .

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

After 1 Wolverine and 3 X-Men films... Why are you even surprised?  

#6 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"After 1 Wolverine and 3 X-Men films... Why are you even surprised?  "
Why even complain? It's not like the producers are hovering around forums seeing what the average fanboy has to say... They don't care. And I'm sick of seeing them all say the same thing, "THEY RUINED THE CHARACTER"... No they didn't, he's just not the one from the comic... Because it's a movie, not a comic.... Quit your crying..... (not you xerox, the whiners in general)
Staff
#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't bother me. I just want him to keep John Wraith's powers and get some kind of illusion power to make up for his technology from the comics his teleporter and image inducer.

#8 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"Why even complain? It's not like the producers are hovering around forums seeing what the average fanboy has to say... They don't care. And I'm sick of seeing them all say the same thing, "THEY RUINED THE CHARACTER"... No they didn't, he's just not the one from the comic... Because it's a movie, not a comic.... Quit your crying..... (not you xerox, the whiners in general)"
LOL... It's pretty much a case of "Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it".  

Only in Deadpool's case, the fans were served up a hashed up version of their favourite character... and then they actually wanted more!  For months the forums have been filled with whining... but as soon as the film came out & there were rumours about his own film the complaints changed to excitement.

Seriously, why?  What track record has Fox shown for staying true to any character?  So far they've just abused Deadpool and there's no reason to presume that will change.  Just because he was getting his own solo film didn't mean that they'd retcon the Wolverine film.  It just means that it's another chance for Hollywood to "adapt" a character into something more likeable for a wider non-comic reading audience.  
#9 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"inferiorego said:
"Why even complain? It's not like the producers are hovering around forums seeing what the average fanboy has to say... They don't care. And I'm sick of seeing them all say the same thing, "THEY RUINED THE CHARACTER"... No they didn't, he's just not the one from the comic... Because it's a movie, not a comic.... Quit your crying..... (not you xerox, the whiners in general)"
LOL... It's pretty much a case of "Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it".  

Only in Deadpool's case, the fans were served up a hashed up version of their favourite character... and then they actually wanted more!  For months the forums have been filled with whining... but as soon as the film came out & there were rumours about his own film the complaints changed to excitement.

Seriously, why?  What track record has Fox shown for staying true to any character?  So far they've just abused Deadpool and there's no reason to presume that will change.  Just because he was getting his own solo film didn't mean that they'd retcon the Wolverine film.  It just means that it's another chance for Hollywood to "adapt" a character into something more likeable for a wider non-comic reading audience.  
"
You know what... come on fanboys rage (waiting for nerd-rage comment from someone afterwards), I LIKED WHAT THEY DID WITH DEADPOOL IN THE MOVIE... It appealed to more than just the characters fanboys, it's a good set-up for why he needs the costume in the next film. Sure, he's got some extra powers, but since when was that a bad thing?

But if there's one thing we learned from this whole experience it's that fanboys will NEVER BE HAPPY AND ALWAYS FIND A WAY TO COMPLAIN.
Staff
#10 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

Its close enough so i dont see what the fuss is .

#11 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

think in this way, no they have a excuse to make a costume.
as for the whole absorb the abilities thing, all i can say is meh.

#12 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
Yaujtapool said:
"Its close enough so i dont see what the fuss is ."
Agreed
Staff
#13 Edited by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio
Taurian said:
"AND will be able to absorb the abilities of dead and captured mutants. "
Sounds like they're trying to give Deadpool's name meaning (a pool of powers from the dead). I'm sure it's not permanent or anything. I think it's cool anyway, just go with it, as long as they do a good job.
#14 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
DEADPOOL said:
"Sounds like they're trying to give Deadpool's name meaning (a pool of powers from the dead). I'm sure it's not permanent or anything. I think it's cool anyway, just go with it, as long as they do a good job."
They sort of did that in the Wolverine film.  Although it was very brief, it was the only time they actually used the name "Deadpool".

Personally, I find it amusing that they're making a Deadpool film, since there's already a Dirty Harry movie of the same name ;)
#15 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

oh boy, those anyone smell lawsuit coming.

#16 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"DEADPOOL said:
"Sounds like they're trying to give Deadpool's name meaning (a pool of powers from the dead). I'm sure it's not permanent or anything. I think it's cool anyway, just go with it, as long as they do a good job."
They sort of did that in the Wolverine film.  Although it was very brief, it was the only time they actually used the name "Deadpool".

Personally, I find it amusing that they're making a Deadpool film, since there's already a Dirty Harry movie of the same name ;)
"
Maybe they will give the movie a different name .
#17 Posted by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio
Yaujtapool said:
"xerox-kitty said:
"DEADPOOL said:

"
Maybe they will give the movie a different name ."
But the Dirty Harry movie is called "THE Deadpool." It's completely different, lol.
#18 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

let see
foxpool
Deadpool- the merc with the mouth
Marvel Deadpool
Deadpool Orgin
didn't they say that fox need to put x-men in their title for them to use and of the charther in the x-world. but the deadpool isn't a part of their world just some one who vist them, (or fighting them).

#19 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly doubt they're going to give him his own movie with all the pooled powers. I don't think Fox is going to put out a movie and slap Deadpool's name on it and it be nothing like the title character, which is what Deadpool was by the end of Wolverine's movie. Call it optimism, but I think they'll at least fix the character enough to resemble Deadpool. And hey, Wade Wilson in the beginning of the movie wasn't bad. But yeah, I'll choose to be disappointed when the movie comes out, if it's disappointing.

#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
bioghost said:
"let see 

foxpool
Deadpool- the merc with the mouth
Marvel Deadpool
Deadpool Orgin
didn't they say that fox need to put x-men in their title for them to use and of the charther in the x-world. but the deadpool isn't a part of their world just some one who vist them, (or fighting them)."

LOL!!  The thing is, 'Deadpool: Origins' does sounds better than 'the Wade Wilson movie', but they only used the name Deadpool in the movie once... so the pre-release hype would have to explain who or what DP is to get more bums on seats.

I'd be impressed if they hired the guy from the I'm A Marvel, I'm A DC video to script it ;)
#21 Posted by bobagentofhydra (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Yum.... Not made yet.  Hopefully they'll get Joe Kelly or some one from Marvel to write the script so it will be more true to the Deadpool story. 

#22 Edited by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it was bound to be changed a bit, he get's extra powers, that's cool with me

#23 Posted by Deadstroke (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one website has reported of saying that.

You honestly going to trust ONE website over the hundreds that DON'T mention him having that power? The movie was announced a few days ago, nobody could know that much information when a screenwriter hasn't even been hired yet, That website is lying and is full of crap.

#24 Posted by Delta Red (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that's from yahoo news, and i don't trust that site too much.
Plus Reynolds said if they were going to make a DP movie, it would be true to the source.We don't know how much power he will have in this project, so let's just see what happens.
And the writing didn't even started yet.

#25 Posted by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio
MTS said:
"Well it was bound to be changed a bit, he get's extra powers, that's cool with me "
Yeah, I'm sure no one would be upset if he got that power in the comics.
#26 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

So we now have a Rougepool? O_O?

Well that kind of sucks....

I wonder what Ryan has to say about it? He said that if the character was not true to the comic he wouldn't play it.

#27 Posted by bioghost (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

i wonder he gave rouge her power.
or what when they touch each other.

#28 Posted by Crimson Orchid (5825 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"Yaujtapool said:
"Its close enough so i dont see what the fuss is ."
Agreed"
My thoughts exactly. 
I love Deadpool to the point where it is an obsession (Seriously, I'm modeling him for my demo reel), and I will admit that while I may not like the changes, as long as they keep the important characteristics (humor, mouthiness, healing factor, etc...) the same, I'm happy.  Just gotta think of the movie version as an alternate universe and it's easy to get over.

Plus with Renolds being a Deadpool fan himself, I don't think the character will stray too far from his foundations.
#29 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

four words for all you complainers...........
CHILL IT'S A MOVIE!!!

#30 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"xerox-kitty said:
"After 1 Wolverine and 3 X-Men films... Why are you even surprised?  "
Why even complain? It's not like the producers are hovering around forums seeing what the average fanboy has to say... They don't care. And I'm sick of seeing them all say the same thing, "THEY RUINED THE CHARACTER"... No they didn't, he's just not the one from the comic... Because it's a movie, not a comic.... Quit your crying..... (not you xerox, the whiners in general)"
exactly, its like an alternate universe, Earth-586397379337937 or something
#31 Posted by Maxwell6464 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope they give him his mouth back

#32 Posted by Detective (524 posts) - - Show Bio

has Ryan Reynolds made any statements since the movie has been announce?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.