Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Do people read Deadpool comics hating them before they read them?

• 150 results
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Vance Astro said:
    " In direct relation to Babs' "It feels gimmicky" comment.She doesn't think Deadpool is in the book for any other reason but to further Marvel's agenda at making him more popular. "
    Which isn't the way I feel about it. I think Deadpool could actually be a good fit for the team, if well written. I mean, if they were to put Deadpool in the Avengers or something, it'd be another matter entirely. My initial reaction to hearing that Deadpool was going to appear in yet another book, and a team book at that was a very loud sigh followed by "are you kidding me? he's already all over the place, they 'd do better just to cut a whole lot of his series - I'm looking at you Corps - instead of adding him to another on going". But I changed my mind when I read how Remender is using Deadpool for this book.

This is the real problem here, I think. That a lot of people, and I can't actually blame them, immediatly assumed that Marvel just placed Deadpool in there as nothing more than a gimmick, just to attract more readers. Which is the same assumption I made when I first heard of the news. But when I actually read the comic book ( and the prelude in Wolverine: The Road to Hell ) I was actually pretty satisfied. It could just be that the decision to place Deadpool in this team wasn't just made because his appearance could make more money, but maybe because Remender actually has plans and use for him.

Yes I am a huge Deadpool fan. But honestly, if you'd ask me they should cancel Deadpool Corps and Deadpool Team-Up. Team-Up sometimes turns out a decent issue, but nothing really exiting most of the time. And the whole Deadpool Corps has just been average or less than average. I really don't want to see more of Deadpool, I want to see a better quality Deadpool. And maybe then, people will appreciate Deadpool's role in Uncanny X-Force as something more than just a gimmick.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    Which isn't the way I feel about it. I think Deadpool could actually be a good fit for the team, if well written. I mean, if they were to put Deadpool in the Avengers or something, it'd be another matter entirely. My initial reaction to hearing that Deadpool was going to appear in yet another book, and a team book at that was a very loud sigh followed by "are you kidding me? he's already all over the place, they 'd do better just to cut a whole lot of his series - I'm looking at you Corps - instead of adding him to another on going". But I changed my mind when I read how Remender is using Deadpool for this book.  This is the real problem here, I think. That a lot of people, and I can't actually blame them, immediatly assumed that Marvel just placed Deadpool in there as nothing more than a gimmick, just to attract more readers. Which is the same assumption I made when I first heard of the news. But when I actually read the comic book ( and the prelude in Wolverine: The Road to Hell ) I was actually pretty satisfied. It could just be that the decision to place Deadpool in this team wasn't just made because his appearance could make more money, but maybe because Remender actually has plans and use for him.  Yes I am a huge Deadpool fan. But honestly, if you'd ask me they should cancel Deadpool Corps and Deadpool Team-Up. Team-Up sometimes turns out a decent issue, but nothing really exiting most of the time. And the whole Deadpool Corps has just been average or less than average. I really don't want to see more of Deadpool, I want to see a better quality Deadpool. And maybe then, people will appreciate Deadpool's role in Uncanny X-Force as something more than just a gimmick. "
    I understand what you're saying about Remender having plans for the character but the question is...why did he pick Deadpool?
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @Vance Astro: That is indeed a difficult question. Did Remender pick Deadpool himself because he has plans for him? Or did Marvel/Remender decide to push Deadpool in the team with the initial intention to sell more copies? ( Which I'm not sure is actually working with Uncanny X-Force ) Either way, Remender managed to write Deadpool pretty darn good so far.

And you've got to admit he does fit the bill. X-Force needs cold-blooded, deadly killers who can take a huge beating and still walk away from it. They need members who won't tell Cyclops about the team's existence. Deadpool 's also being paid by Angel for his services, so his initial introduction into the team has been/is that it's just another job for him. Plus he does have previous experiences with certain team members, albeit they aren't exactly good experiences, from which those members know that he is a pretty decent fighter who can be effectief if pointed at a correct target.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#54  Edited By The Lobster
    @Vance Astro said:

" @ShirEPanjshir said:

Which isn't the way I feel about it. I think Deadpool could actually be a good fit for the team, if well written. I mean, if they were to put Deadpool in the Avengers or something, it'd be another matter entirely. My initial reaction to hearing that Deadpool was going to appear in yet another book, and a team book at that was a very loud sigh followed by "are you kidding me? he's already all over the place, they 'd do better just to cut a whole lot of his series - I'm looking at you Corps - instead of adding him to another on going". But I changed my mind when I read how Remender is using Deadpool for this book.  This is the real problem here, I think. That a lot of people, and I can't actually blame them, immediatly assumed that Marvel just placed Deadpool in there as nothing more than a gimmick, just to attract more readers. Which is the same assumption I made when I first heard of the news. But when I actually read the comic book ( and the prelude in Wolverine: The Road to Hell ) I was actually pretty satisfied. It could just be that the decision to place Deadpool in this team wasn't just made because his appearance could make more money, but maybe because Remender actually has plans and use for him.  Yes I am a huge Deadpool fan. But honestly, if you'd ask me they should cancel Deadpool Corps and Deadpool Team-Up. Team-Up sometimes turns out a decent issue, but nothing really exiting most of the time. And the whole Deadpool Corps has just been average or less than average. I really don't want to see more of Deadpool, I want to see a better quality Deadpool. And maybe then, people will appreciate Deadpool's role in Uncanny X-Force as something more than just a gimmick. "
    I understand what you're saying about Remender having plans for the character but the question is...why did he pick Deadpool? "
    I think Rick Remender put Deadpool on the team, because he's willing to kill. Deadpool is more than willing to take someone's life, which is the whole purpose of Wolverine's X-Force. A team of killers, out to kill a big bad guy who is also a killer.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    " @Vance Astro: That is indeed a difficult question. Did Remender pick Deadpool himself because he has plans for him? Or did Marvel/Remender decide to push Deadpool in the team with the initial intention to sell more copies? ( Which I'm not sure is actually working with Uncanny X-Force ) Either way, Remender managed to write Deadpool pretty darn good so far.  And you've got to admit he does fit the bill. X-Force needs cold-blooded, deadly killers who can take a huge beating and still walk away from it. They need members who won't tell Cyclops about the team's existence. Deadpool 's also being paid by Angel for his services, so his initial introduction into the team has been/is that it's just another job for him. Plus he does have previous experiences with certain team members, albeit they aren't exactly good experiences, from which those members know that he is a pretty decent fighter who can be effectief if pointed at a correct target. "
    To be honest I personally think Deadpool belongs on the team.His style of character kind of fits.He has the whole mercenary thing but on top of it he's there comic relief which every team needs.Also because Deadpool is being presented as A-list now he needs to be on a major team.That's the way Marvel is structured.It seems like your worth is based on what teams will take you. 
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ShirEPanjshir said:

" There are actually two sides to this whole predicament which make it rather impossible to solve.  On one side: people like Babs and G-Man have a ( rather high ) influential example to all the comic book readers who look at their reviews. Especially the video reviews. A lot of people rely on their reviews and their opinions whether or not to buy or start buying certain issues. So for this, Babs and G-Man should be trying to give the most objective opinion they can, and rate a comic book purely on story quality, art quality, ... Rather than having their likes/disklikes for certain characters influence the ratings.  On the other side: As said before, a review is a personal opinion about a comic book. Thus there actually should and will be an amount of personal likes/dislikes that will influence the ratings. After all, every one of us has his likes and dislikes. And we all downrate / uprate certain comics simply because we love / hate the characters in them. It's to the community itself to realize that Babs and G-Man have their own opinion, but that it doesn't mean that they are the voice of god, and that they are always right.  However, what I can't appreciate is that people tend to dislike certain characters, based off only one or maybe two experiences, or maybe based off nothing at all. In the case of Deadpool I'm pretty sure that a lot of people hate him, even though they might have never read anything on him, or perhaps only read an appearance. Than there are those who have only read Daniel way's run, and hate him, which is already more understandable. But for those people I wish that they 'd read the early Deadpool stuff, which was a lot better. But if you've read Deadpool stuff, and it just isn't your thing, than it's your right to dislike Deadpool and express this in a proper manner. "

I agree with you on this one, i mean, i can dislike a charatcer or an actor, but when i do a review, i should say, what i think about, for the storyline or art, i mean if you like Venom, you will say?
    Daniel Way did an amazing job with Venom, well, no, you dont say it, you talk about how bad the character in this one is or how bad the art or storyline is.
    Deadpool is overrated?, well by his fan yes, but i have to be honest Deadpool hate is actually Daniel Way hate or sRod Lie Feld hate.
    I Hate the whole JMS Spiderman run, still i never hated Spiderman, i mean i like Spiderman, but i always disliked the movies.
    Hate/Dislike anything, dont mean, that just for the fact that is inside of it, you should hate it or say is bad.
    I dislike Hayden Christensen , but i liked Episode 3 and he was amazing on Shattered Glass.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DeathpooltheT1000 said:
    I agree with you oin this, one i mean, i can dislike a charatcer or an actor, but when i do a review, i should say, what i think about, for the storyline or art, i mean if you like Venom, you will say? Daniel Way did an amazing job with Venom, well no, you dont say it, you talk about how bad the character is or hpoow bad the art or storyline. Deadpool is overrated?, well by his fan yns, but i have to be honest Deadpool hate is actually Daniel Way hate or sRod Lie Feld hate. I Hate the whole JMS Spiderman run, still i never hated Spiderman, i mean i like Spiderman, but i always disliked the movies. Hat/Dislike anything, dont mean, that just for the fact that is inside of it, you should hate it. "
    Babs never said she hated Deadpool.At least not in the video that we are referencing.Also both she and G-Man explained what they thought about the books storyline and the development of the characters.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro: I never talked about Babs or G-Man, i talked about general reviewers, that dislike some one or something, then everytime they see anything about those thing, they say is bad, just for the fact that thing is inside.
    Example, many movie reviewers hated Kick Ass for the fact that, Nick Cage was in that movie.  
    I dislike Hayden Christensen , but i liked Episode 3 and he was amazing on Shattered Glass.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DeathpooltheT1000 said:
    " @Vance Astro: I never talked about Babs or G-Man, i talked about general reviewers, that dislike some one or something, then everytime they see anything about those thing, they say is bad, just for the fact that thing is inside.
    Example, many movie reviewers hated Kick Ass for the fact that, Nick Cage was in that movie.  
    I dislike Hayden Christensen , but i liked Episode 3 and he was amazing on Shattered Glass. "
    I was just saying that in relation to the topic at hand.I know you didn't say anything about them.I was just stating it so nobody believed the review we are talking about went that way.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Theodore

I dunno, I guess people hate him because he's popular? He's an awesome characters and he was well written in X-Force #1.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#61  Edited By Deadcool

I hate Wolverine and I have all the issues of the Old Logan Saga, you cant judge a comic just for the character (you can judge them for the writer), I love Spider-man, but I don't bought all the issues of Amazing Spiderman. I bought comics not for the Character, I bought them for the story and what does it makes me feel, I don't know why people hate Deadpool, I have never heard about someone that hate a comic just for the main character, but that would be really dumb.
    I dont think that Babs hated X-force #1 just for Deadpool, I think that the main reason, is because Deadpool interrupted critical moment with humor, Babs loves the serious comics with a lot of action, and a definite story, maybe the Deadpool's character interrupts that.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deadcool said:

" I hate Wolverine and I have all the issues of the Old Logan Saga, you cant judge a comic just for the character (you can judge them for the writer), I love Spider-man, but I don't bought all the issues of Amazing Spiderman. I bought comics not for the Character, I bought them for the story and what does it makes me feel, I don't know why people hate Deadpool, I have never heard about someone that hate a comic just for the main character, but that would be really dumb. I dont think that Babs hated X-force #1 just for Deadpool, I think that the main reason, is because Deadpool interrupted critical moment with humor, Babs loves the serious comics with a lot of action, and a definite story, maybe the Deadpool's character interrupts that. "

My whole point, i buyed every comic from the JLA during Indetity Crisis, the main reason, the storyline was amazing, even if i dont love the JLA and many of his members, still i liked the idea and the comic.
    evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By evodmasters
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @DeathpooltheT1000 said:
    " @Vance Astro: I never talked about Babs or G-Man, i talked about general reviewers, that dislike some one or something, then everytime they see anything about those thing, they say is bad, just for the fact that thing is inside.
    I dislike Hayden Christensen , but i liked Episode 3 and he was amazing on Shattered Glass. "
    I was just saying that in relation to the topic at hand.I know you didn't say anything about them.I was just stating it so nobody believed the review we are talking about went that way. "
    It is not that it got a bad score, it is that the score was lowered due to a factor that was not in the book itself. Babs doesn't have to like Deadpool, this thread seems to have evolved beyond just Deadpool, it is about liking a comic and giving it a lower rating because of a bias outside of the work. That is it. I know that 3.5 to 4 is not a bad score, the score is not the point of this. but the reason for lowering it is. Say a comic was initially given a 4 by a reviewer, but the reviewer didn't like that a character was in it and knocked off a point and a half making it a 2.5. Someone could see the score and not buy a potentially good comic because he/she did not remain objective in their review. I just don't to lose another Nextwave because of something like this.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#64  Edited By Deadcool
    @evodmasters:  Maybe she doesn't like that Deadpool is in a serious comic.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:
    It is not that it got a bad score, it is that the score was lowered due to a factor that was not in the book itself. Babs doesn't have to like Deadpool, this thread seems to have evolved beyond just Deadpool, it is about liking a comic and giving it a lower rating because of a bias outside of the work. That is it. I know that 3.5 to 4 is not a bad score, the score is not the point of this. but the reason for lowering it is. Say a comic was initially given a 4 by a reviewer, but the reviewer didn't like that a character was in it and knocked off a point and a half making it a 2.5. Someone could see the score and not buy a potentially good comic because he/she did not remain objective in their review. I just don't to lose another Nextwave because of something like this. "
    Your post seems kind of contradictory.You're saying your argument isn't about the score but everything you're saying is about the rating Babs gave the book.Again...she not only said she liked the book but gave a good score.So nobody is going to refrain from buying the book based on the video because bother people involved gave the book a good score.This is all about Deadpool.You just don't like the fact that she said she didn't like him.That has to be what it is because there is no reason to assume that this review would hurt people's chances of buying the book.She didn't take the score from a 4 to a 2.5 that's a dramatic lowering of the score.Her official score was a 4 out of 5.
    THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

i see what tha op is saying. i've been saying tha same thing about video game reviews. too often are things reviewed for what they aren't instead of reviewing something for what it is. i dont know if that sounds odd or anything, but it works out in my head perfectly lol
    evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By evodmasters
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @evodmasters said:
    It is not that it got a bad score, it is that the score was lowered due to a factor that was not in the book itself. Babs doesn't have to like Deadpool, this thread seems to have evolved beyond just Deadpool, it is about liking a comic and giving it a lower rating because of a bias outside of the work. That is it. I know that 3.5 to 4 is not a bad score, the score is not the point of this. but the reason for lowering it is. Say a comic was initially given a 4 by a reviewer, but the reviewer didn't like that a character was in it and knocked off a point and a half making it a 2.5. Someone could see the score and not buy a potentially good comic because he/she did not remain objective in their review. I just don't to lose another Nextwave because of something like this. "
    Your post seems kind of contradictory.You're saying your argument isn't about the score but everything you're saying is about the rating Babs gave the book.Again...she not only said she liked the book but gave a good score.So nobody is going to refrain from buying the book based on the video because bother people involved gave the book a good score.This is all about Deadpool.You just don't like the fact that she said she didn't like him.That has to be what it is because there is no reason to assume that this review would hurt people's chances of buying the book.She didn't take the score from a 4 to a 2.5 that's a dramatic lowering of the score.Her official score was a 4 out of 5. "

Okay, her score was a 4 out of 5, only after she heard G-Man's score, but if it was just her reviewing it would have been 3.5. Yes, I started this thread because of Deadpool, I didn't deny that, what I said was that "this thread seems to have evolved beyond just Deadpool". By that I mean this thread changed from just Deadpool hating affecting the ratings to  is it right to rate comics based on whether or not it is okay to down rate a comic because it has a character someone doesn't like. I like Deadpool, but if one of his issues sucks then I won't recommend it. To make this perfectly clear on my stand on liking or disliking a character effecting the end ratings, I do not believe that one can up rate or down rate an comic based on there being a character in the comic you either like or dislike. And the problem I have with this is that she said she liked the comic, but the fact that Deadpool was on the team was the reason she down rated it.
    evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By evodmasters

I declare victory!

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evodmasters said:
    " I declare victory! "
    About what?
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#70  Edited By Lvenger

Every review is opinion based. Heck, when I review the JMS story Grounded I give it a good score despite the bad reception it's gotton. That doesn't matter to me, I like the story. And that's the most important thing about reviewing and reading a comic, making sure you like it and the direction it's going in. If you don't like it, you're entitled to not like it as much as people are entitled to like it as well. Everyone has different tastes and their own personal favourites so technically you can never get an impartial review. And in my opinion, you can't really get an impartial viewer in the buisness so if we didn't have any reviews, we wouldn't have any idea of how good the comic is. A review is only supposed to give someone an idea of how good a comic is, not persuade them to not read it. It's as simple as..

Avatar image for breakingthefourthwall
    BreakingTheFourthWall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evodmasters:
    Someone saw me reading a Deadpool comic book and decided they disliked Deadpool based solely on what they had seen on the cover and by looking over my shoulder.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @BreakingTheFourthWall: I also noticed that a lot of people tend to 'dislike' Deadpool without ever reading it because he looks like a rip-off from Spider-Man with the similar costume.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:

Okay, her score was a 4 out of 5, only after she heard G-Man's score, but if it was just her reviewing it would have been 3.5. Yes, I started this thread because of Deadpool, I didn't deny that, what I said was that "this thread seems to have evolved beyond just Deadpool". By that I mean this thread changed from just Deadpool hating affecting the ratings to  is it right to rate comics based on whether or not it is okay to down rate a comic because it has a character someone doesn't like. I like Deadpool, but if one of his issues sucks then I won't recommend it. To make this perfectly clear on my stand on liking or disliking a character effecting the end ratings, I do not believe that one can up rate or down rate an comic based on there being a character in the comic you either like or dislike. And the problem I have with this is that she said she liked the comic, but the fact that Deadpool was on the team was the reason she down rated it. "

So you making a case based on what her rating would have been? Why are you reading so far into it? 4 out of 5 is one away from perfect and 3.5 is in the range of average and both people reviewing the comic said they liked the issue. I'm still trying to find the part where she says her rating was based on Deadpool being in the book...She made a joke about not liking the book because Deadpool but she never really explained her rating.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Well I liked him before Marvel realised it. Then as Marvel do, milked him for all he's worth and now I find it hard to read him.

evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By evodmasters
    @Vance Astro: 

3:00 Babs “This was a good book and then we got Deadpool and then I was like I don't like it any more.”

10:02 Babs “I don't know if I want Deadpool in my X-force thats just the way I feel about it.”

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evodmasters: And the point is, she dont like deadpool, i mean, that have sense, after all not everybody loves Batman or  even Spiderman
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By Korg

That isn't the first time Babs has brought her bias into a review. She is biased against anything Millar writes, and said so in the review for Nemesis #1. It's just plain unprofessional. I don't even watch reviews on CV anymore. It's not worth the time. Ten minutes? I could read the entire comic in the time it takes to get through that review, and I wouldn't get the unnecessary bias, awkward pauses, and rambling that Babs brings to the table.

evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By evodmasters
    @Korg: What she got against Miller?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:

" @Vance Astro: 

3:00 Babs “This was a good book and then we got Deadpool and then I was like I don't like it any more.”

10:02 Babs “I don't know if I want Deadpool in my X-force thats just the way I feel about it.”

"
    I heard her say those things.I'm just saying unlike G-Man she didn't really give an explanation after giving her rating.She talked more about the book after giving it.Your question and the OP don't really coincide.Your concern doesn't seem to be whether read Deadpool comics already hating him, you seem to be more concerned with whether it is professional or whether Babs had an obligation to be subjective when speaking of a book with Deadpool in it.Can't say that i'm blind to the fact that she clearly doesn't like Deadpool and has her own bias but the reactions seem a little over blown.To answer the question in the title..the answer is no.I don't think anyone will hate a book because Deadpool is in it.Uncanny X-Force isn't a Deadpool comic.It's Uncanny X-Force.There are more members on the team than him.So sure you can say "I still read X-men even though I don't like Cyclops" because X-men isn't about Cyclops it's about the X-men.It appears you think that these reviews have more power over our decisions on CV than they actually do.Judging just by the comments in this thread...nobody really cares all that much what Babs says.When you're looking for feedback on something that will effect how you spend your money, you shouldn't just take one sources view of it anyway.There are several other comic websites that offer reviews.I think most comic readers already know what they like and these reviews don't make a difference one way or the other.
    Foolkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Foolkiller

amateurish. deadpool fits this team and we need his comic relief

evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By evodmasters
    @Vance Astro: It is not that she does not like Deadpool, it is that her dislike of the character influenced her review. I did not say that having opinions was a bad thing, the problem is the predisposition of that character influencing the review. For example, the movie Kickass has the actor Nickolas Cage, there were a few people who said they liked the film but gave it lower rating and blasted it because he was in it. Going into a body of work whether it be movies, books, or comics with a point of view of not liking it will influence the enjoyment of said work. And I am not saying that Kickass did bad, but there was a movement to not to watch it because Nickolas (O god not the bees) Cage was in the film and that was not fair to the film, actors, or the film makers. Negativity based on a bias of a person or character is pointless and should not be a factor when a reviewer reviews a body of work. Taking off 1 to 1.5 points based on this factor is wrong, there is no excuse for it, and Babs said that "she doesn't care what people think" (In th review). So why are you going to such great lengths to defend someone who doesn't put any effort to judge a book based only on it that issue's merits and not their personal bias?
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Korg
    @evodmasters said: 

@Korg: What she got against Miller? "

She doesn't like Mark Millar. She's never given any substantive reason for disliking him to my knowledge, she just stated that she doesn't like him directly before reviewing one of his comics. She also made spurious allegations that his work (Red Son in particular) was basically co-written by Grant Morrison, which I've never found an ounce of proof to corroborate. 

@Vance Astro

said: 

"Judging just by the comments in this thread...nobody really cares all that much what Babs says."

I do, because it reflects poorly on CV as a reputable source of accurate and unbiased information, as Babs is a much more public figure than almost anyone who posts on the forums. It's just bad form, and it has no place in a review that is supposed to be (semi)professional.    
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:
    " @Vance Astro: It is not that she does not like Deadpool, it is that her dislike of the character influenced her review. I did not say that having opinions was a bad thing, the problem is the predisposition of that character influencing the review. For example, the movie Kickass has the actor Nickolas Cage, there were a few people who said they liked the film but gave it lower rating and blasted it because he was in it. Going into a body of work whether it be movies, books, or comics with a point of view of not liking it will influence the enjoyment of said work. And I am not saying that Kickass did bad, but there was a movement to not to watch it because Nickolas (O god not the bees) Cage was in the film and that was not fair to the film, actors, or the film makers. Negativity based on a bias of a person or character is pointless and should not be a factor when a reviewer reviews a body of work. Taking off 1 to 1.5 points based on this factor is wrong, there is no excuse for it, and Babs said that "she doesn't care what people think" (In th review). So why are you going to such great lengths to defend someone who doesn't put any effort to judge a book based only on it that issue's merits and not their personal bias? "
    I understand what you're saying.I guess my question is are you concerned that Babs' conduct in reviews actually influences anyone or are you simply asking us if we think it is professional or ok to let a character influence a rating? In regards to a comic giving a the book a lower score just because a character you don't like is in it...isn't ok.I think for me it depends on how much of a role the character plays or will play in the book. For example if you were to review Ms.Marvel #40 and give the book a lower rating because Deadpool was in it, then I think that would be a problem.He had a small cameo in the book, he wasn't really significant.I think for a first issue it's fine to base some of your rating on the roster.Roster is really why I haven't been reading Avengers so I can completely understand why some people would not read a book or dislike a book because of how the team is structured. 

In regards to Kick Ass I think Nic Cage being in the movie IS a good reason to give it a lower score.It's a movie.He's a terrible actor IMO.Why would I go see something where long periods are spent with him on camera? 

To answer your final question.I'm not actually defending Babs.What I was doing was saying I don't understand your angle.The question the title asks is "Do people read Deadpool comics hating them before the read them?" Nobody is answering that question because you made the OP about whether it's correct for Babs to give a book a lower score because of her own personal bias.So I guess what I'm asking you is..whatever beef you have with Babs in regards to reviews, do you actually think it influences Comicvine as a community on what we read? Do you actually believe that people follow what she says enough to hate Deadpool or Deadpool comics? I'm disagreeing on the bias.I really don't care.It just appears to me that the title is a crutch to get people to agree with something that many people knew before the thread existed.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Foolkiller said:
    " amateurish. deadpool fits this team and we need his comic relief "
    No, team actually needs comic relief.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I read every story before deciding if I like it or not.  

If i went by a majority of the reviews on CV I probably wouldn't like 90% of the comics I've read. 

Deadpool is usually hit or miss for me.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Korg said:
    I do, because it reflects poorly on CV as a reputable source of accurate and unbiased information, as Babs is a much more public figure than almost anyone who posts on the forums. It's just bad form, and it has no place in a review that is supposed to be (semi)professional.     "
    I understand that but I meant that in regards to how people on CV choose what comics to read or what characters to like.I don't even watch reviews here.I only watched this one to form a response.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Korg
    @Vance Astro: My point is that the review is specifically there to help people form an opinion. Babs brings bias into it. That is not good. The fact is that some people do watch reviews on this site, and they are swayed by these opinions. Again, not good. The fact that you and I don't watch reviews on here should speak volumes as to the quality of their content, considering how long we've both been here.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Korg said:

" @Vance Astro: My point is that the review is specifically there to help people form an opinion. Babs brings bias into it. That is not good. The fact is that some people do watch reviews on this site, and they are swayed by these opinions. Again, not good. The fact that you and I don't watch reviews on here should speak volumes as to the quality of their content, considering how long we've both been here. "

Right, I understood that I guess i'm just wondering where are all these people who are influenced by these reviews.To be perfectly honest I stopped reading or watching reviews of any kind years ago because I feel like EVERYONE is biased in some way.Also if someone was using this to form their opinion about the book.I would assume they bought and read the comic because it got two good ratings despite Babs bias.Whether they would follow Babs and dislike Deadpool also is beyond me.(Judging by the responses in the thread though) it seems like as far as liking the character nobody cares what she thinks.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Korg
    @Vance Astro said:

" I guess i'm just wondering where are all these people who are influenced by these reviews."

Many of them may not even post on the forums.There are almost always a handful in any given thread for a review as well.  

@Vance Astro

said:

"Also if someone was using this to form their opinion about the book.I would assume they bought and read the comic because it got two good ratings despite Babs bias"

I'm talking about reviews in general. In the review I cited (Nemesis #1) , Babs gives the book a 2, while G-Man gives the book a 4.5. In addition to this, Babs voices her distaste for anything written by the author, and goes on to say that his best work was basically a coordinated effort with another author who went uncredited. It's misinformation, and it bothers me. That's a huge black mark on the name of the author to anyone who hasn't heard of him/hasn't read much of his material. 

As for people hating characters without reading their books - yes, it does happen. Especially when others create a negative connotation before you read books with that character in them (Deadpool and Midnighter spring to mind), be it through rampant fanboyism, or a negative review. People hate Midnighter without even having read any book he's ever been in, because he can beat their favorite characters in a battle. People aren't always rational about these things.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Korg said:
    " @Vance Astro said:

" I guess i'm just wondering where are all these people who are influenced by these reviews."

Many of them may not even post on the forums.There are almost always a handful in any given thread for a review as well.  

@Vance Astro

said:

"Also if someone was using this to form their opinion about the book.I would assume they bought and read the comic because it got two good ratings despite Babs bias"

I'm talking about reviews in general. In the review I cited (Nemesis #1) , Babs gives the book a 2, while G-Man gives the book a 4.5. In addition to this, Babs voices her distaste for anything written by the author, and goes on to say that his best work was basically a coordinated effort with another author who went uncredited. It's misinformation, and it bothers me. That's a huge black mark on the name of the author to anyone who hasn't heard of him/hasn't read much of his material.  As for people hating characters without reading their books - yes, it does happen. Especially when others create a negative connotation before you read books with that character in them (Deadpool and Midnighter spring to mind), be it through rampant fanboyism, or a negative review. People hate Midnighter without even having read any book he's ever been in, because he can beat their favorite characters in a battle. People aren't always rational about these things. "
    I don't know.Maybe it's hard for me to grasp because I don't let other people tell me what to read or how to feel about characters.I'm glad I didn't watch that review for Nemesis though..WOW.
    evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By evodmasters
    @Vance Astro: Reviews do influence people's pull list. It helps them decide what to spend their money on when they go to a store. I am not saying she gave it a terrible score, the problem is the reason for the score. Yes, I understand that Marvel has used Deadpool like he was the village bicycle and the excessive use of him has worn thin the patience of a whole lot of people. Still, this does not excuse rating down comics simply because he is in it, now if he has no business being in the comic and his presence and actions does harm to the overall story then it you should down rate the book. You should judge the book based on the actions of the characters in the book, not the feelings about the character based on his other appearances outside of the book. A stipulation would be if the character is not acting within their own continuity. An example of this would be Ray Palmer shrinking into people's brains and growing slightly to torture people in Cry for Justice.  
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:
    " @Vance Astro: Reviews do influence people's pull list. It helps them decide what to spend their money on when they go to a store. I am not saying she gave it a terrible score, the problem is the reason for the score. Yes, I understand that Marvel has used Deadpool like he was the village bicycle and the excessive use of him has worn thin the patience of a whole lot of people. Still, this does not excuse rating down comics simply because he is in it, now if he has no business being in the comic and his presence and actions does harm to the overall story then it you should down rate the book. You should judge the book based on the actions of the characters in the book, not the feelings about the character based on his other appearances outside of the book. A stipulation would be if the character is not acting within their own continuity. An example of this would be Ray Palmer shrinking into people's brains and growing slightly to torture people in Cry for Justice.   "
    I understand what a review is supposed to do but what I am saying is we are only seeing one side of this.Do you know anyone on CV personally who is influenced by these reviews?Are you influenced by them? For all I know there is nobody affected by this.I'm not excusing anyone for giving a comic a lower rating because of a character.I'm only trying to find some middle ground in these responses.Everyone is coming in here to agree with you but who has actually made decisions based on these reviews.That's what I want to know.It appears everyone who has responded and most people on CV in general have a mind of their own.

Also in regards to this video.If we are assuming that people DO use these reviews to make decisions on what to read.All of those people would have bought this book because Babs and G-Man both gave it good scores.Which is what I was saying earlier.So i'm still trying to get to the question..do you really believe that anyone here has made a decision on Deadpool based on what Babs said? You keep dweliing on her "down-rating" the book when the she gave it a 3-4.5 out of 5.It's not like she said..I read it and then I saw Deadpool so now it's a 1.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By Theodore

I love Deadpool in X-Force, he's great

evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By evodmasters
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @evodmasters said:
    " @Vance Astro: Reviews do influence people's pull list. It helps them decide what to spend their money on when they go to a store. I am not saying she gave it a terrible score, the problem is the reason for the score. Yes, I understand that Marvel has used Deadpool like he was the village bicycle and the excessive use of him has worn thin the patience of a whole lot of people. Still, this does not excuse rating down comics simply because he is in it, now if he has no business being in the comic and his presence and actions does harm to the overall story then it you should down rate the book. You should judge the book based on the actions of the characters in the book, not the feelings about the character based on his other appearances outside of the book. A stipulation would be if the character is not acting within their own continuity. An example of this would be Ray Palmer shrinking into people's brains and growing slightly to torture people in Cry for Justice.   "
    I understand what a review is supposed to do but what I am saying is we are only seeing one side of this.Do you know anyone on CV personally who is influenced by these reviews?Are you influenced by them? For all I know there is nobody affected by this.I'm not excusing anyone for giving a comic a lower rating because of a character.I'm only trying to find some middle ground in these responses.Everyone is coming in here to agree with you but who has actually made decisions based on these reviews.That's what I want to know.It appears everyone who has responded and most people on CV in general have a mind of their own. Also in regards to this video.If we are assuming that people DO use these reviews to make decisions on what to read.All of those people would have bought this book because Babs and G-Man both gave it good scores.Which is what I was saying earlier.So i'm still trying to get to the question..do you really believe that anyone here has made a decision on Deadpool based on what Babs said? You keep dweliing on her "down-rating" the book when the she gave it a 3-4.5 out of 5.It's not like she said..I read it and then I saw Deadpool so now it's a 1. "
    Okay, you don't get it. Let me ask you a question. Why do people watch and read comic reviews to begin with?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:
    Why do people watch and read comic reviews to begin with? "
    What is it that I don't get? People watch reviews to get incite on what they should read.I understand that but i don't think that's how they are used here.Most times when I read the responses to reviews most of the people who respond have already read the book.Most of the posts are either.."I read it and I feel the same way" or "I read it and I disagree" or just commentary on the review..not so much whether they will or will not read it.At least that's what I have seen from the limited amount of reviews of watched.
    CyrixSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96  Edited By CyrixSG
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @evodmasters said:
    Why do people watch and read comic reviews to begin with? "
    What is it that I don't get? People watch reviews to get incite on what they should read.I understand that but i don't think that's how they are used here.Most times when I read the responses to reviews most of the people who respond have already read the book.Most of the posts are either.."I read it and I feel the same way" or "I read it and I disagree" or just commentary on the review..not so much whether they will or will not read it.At least that's what I have seen from the limited amount of reviews of watched. "

Much like with movies, reviews shouldn't (and in my case, don't) influence my decision as to whether or not I'll read/see it.  More or less, I watch them to see if I agree or not, and then endorse or condemn it based on that.
    evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By evodmasters

So you're saying that people only read comic reviews to see what other people thought about something they already read. That seems kinda point-less. Well, I guess it is not uncommon to use things in a  way they were not intended to be used. Does this argument cover everyone who looks at this site? Does it justify bringing personal prejudice into a body of work? People's favorite characters bring people to books while there least favorite characters drive people away from books. Does reading a book with a character you don't like, admitting that the you liked the book, and then taking a point off because that character was in it? How is that fair? Should not liking a character be added to standard judging procedure on this site? You may not think this is a big deal, but I believe moderators who post reviews on this site should follow a definable standard when doing reviews.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cmon i understand not everybody likes Deadpool.
    But this thing is going in circles.
    Vance belives that the fact something you dislike is a good reason to give a lower rating.
    And the rest or at least look like the most feel, that if it does a good job even if you dont like it, you should rate things without changing the rating.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @evodmasters said:
    "  So you're saying that people only read comic reviews to see what other people thought about something they already read. That seems kinda point-less. Well, I guess it is not uncommon to use things in a  way they were not intended to be used. Does this argument cover everyone who looks at this site? Does it justify bringing personal prejudice into a body of work? People's favorite characters bring people to books while there least favorite characters drive people away from books. Does reading a book with a character you don't like, admitting that the you liked the book, and then taking a point off because that character was in it? How is that fair? Should not liking a character be added to standard judging procedure on this site? You may not think this is a big deal, but I believe moderators who post reviews on this site should follow a definable standard when doing reviews. "
    No that's not what I am saying.I'm not saying anything for definite.I'm saying I don't know.I don't know that many people actually use what is said in reviews to form their own opinion of that book before reading it themselves.I think reviews on CV are used more or less as a confirmation of whether other people thought a book that they've read or are going to read is good or not.That does seem pointless but sometimes people read books that aren't good but because their favorite characters are in it or because they are a fan of the series they keep reading.Which even though I do the same thing is much worse.You yourself have uncovered the fact the book sucks yet you keep subjecting yourself to the same crap every month.I've written a few reviews on Comicvine..almost all of them have been recommended.Are people recommending these reviews because my reviews are actually well written, are they recommended because people agree with my views,or are they recommended (which is what they are supposed be) because people are actually using them to decide if they will read those books or not? I don't know.That's my point.I see alot of criticism of Babs but I don't see anyone saying.."yea you're right, I saw a review of an X-men comic she reviews and she said she didn't like it because Emma Frost was in it..so I didn't read it myself." Does that sound like rational thinking to you? If you're that easily swayed..maybe you shouldn't be reading comics. You need a better example than this to make your point is what i'm trying to say.Everyone can see Babs has a bias and whether you deem it unprofessional or whatever you want to do, the question still remains..who is this ACTUALLY effecting? This book got two good scores, and Deadpool still has tons of fans on CV. So in actuality the only person who seems to have the problem is Babs because people think alot differently of her because of her reviews. 

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:
    " Cmon i understand not everybody likes Deadpool. But this thing is going in circles. Vance belives that the fact something you dislike is a good reason to give a lower rating. And the rest or at least look like the most feel, that if it does a good job even if you dont like it, you should rate things without changing the rating. "
    Why is everyone whining about the rating? She gave the book a  4.5, that's damn near a perfect score.If I was rating a team book and I didn't like the roster..hell yea I would give it a lower score because of the characters in it.The only reason this would be a problem is if she gave it a drastically lower score based on a character in the book.Which she did not.Thus in regards to this particular review I don't really see what point can be made as far as giving things lower ratings because of bias.You can't give something a perfect score if it's NOT perfect.Also what she said about Deadpool was way away from her rating.She never said "it's a 3 or maybe a 4.5 because Deadpool was in it".She said " I don't think I want Deadpool in my X-Force" way after she gave her rating and she and G-Man were talking about who was in the book.The other thing she said about Deadpool was toward the end AND a joke.She said she LIKED the book.
    Avatar image for theincrediblederk
    theincrediblederk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving Uncanny X-Force. I consider it the best title I'm reading right now. The writing the art and I, personally, think Deadpool is a great fit for the team. I've always felt that there really is a hero buried deep down within him and I'm glad to see him on a real team with real heroes. I also think her original score might not have been based completely on her opinion of Deadpool but I wouldn't know. It's all opinions anyway and everyone's entitled to their stupid-ass opinions. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.