Do people read Deadpool comics hating them before they read them?

• 150 results
#1 Edited by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio

In the X-Force #1 review, Babs says that the book is great except for Deadpool and that is the reason she gave it a lower score. I am no professional critic, but isn't a bit amateurish to go into a comic deciding not to like a book based on one character you don't like? For example, I don't like Cyclops because he abandoned his pregnant wife and went crawling back to Jean. This doesn't hinder my enjoyment of X-men comics and I don't blast those books simply because he is in it. In a few arcs he shines as a leader and is a good fit for that team. I was able to see this because I did not go into the comic deciding that those books would suck because Cyclops sucks. If someone is going to blast a book because of their predisposition and not on the content of the book, should those people in question really have any authority to review? I want to know what you guys think.

#2 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i picked up on that as well and did wonder why she'd intentionally marked a comic down just because she didn't like the character.....  

seemed a bit of a weird thing for a reviewer to do to me... 

M

#3 Posted by CrimsonComedian (328 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a little unfair. The writer done an excellent job on Deadpool. Brought back his old ways, and we all love the book and him in it. I despise Cyclops... and Pyslocke, though in the book - all of the characters have good team chemistry. Surprisingly with Deadpool.

#4 Edited by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Methos: I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one.
#6 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah was kinda surprising to me as well the book was great and Dp was good agiain

#7 Edited by mavfan626 (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

I found it funny how Babs changed her rating from 3.5 to a 4? as soon G-man gave it a 5 lol
#8 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool is a star. Here kind of in the way the ones you see in the news are. Everything gets a little more extreme 
when it comes to him.

#9 Posted by The Lobster (1524 posts) - - Show Bio

That also caught me off guard.

#10 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@mavfan626 said:
" I found it funny how Babs changed her rating from 3.5 to a 4? as soon G-man gave it a 5 lol "
Yeah did you notice the time edit toward the end and how G-man looked pretty darn dejected after they got on the subject of Deadpool and was trying to get Babs to give any reason for not liking Deadpool. Cause, you know people with independent thoughts in their heads usually have reasons for doing things. My guess is that Babs doesn't really hate Deadpool but bashing Deadpool for existing seems to be the 'in thing' to do. I wonder if the people on the "I-Hate-Deadpool" bandwagon realize that they are just as bad as the people who jumped on the "Deadpool-is-always-awesome-no-matter-what" bandwagon; becuase saying you liked Deadpool was once the 'in thing' too. And if i'm not mistaken, I believe that Babs was on that bandwagon also. Funny eh?
#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:
" @Methos: I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one. "
Yup... i'll remember this when rating comics now... 

it's apparently ok to rate comics down because you don't like the character :D 

gotcha :D 

Kidding aside..... it's completely wrong and stupid to rate a comic down just because you don't like a character.... I don't particularly like Wolverine as a character, it doesn't mean that every issue I review with him in it is automatically going to be marked down just because he's got an appearance in the issue. That's just stupid reasoning and hypocritical of the reviewer.

M
#12 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Methos said:
" @evodmasters said:
" @Methos: I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one. "
Yup... i'll remember this when rating comics now...  it's apparently ok to rate comics down because you don't like the character :D  gotcha :D  Kidding aside..... it's completely wrong and stupid to rate a comic down just because you don't like a character.... I don't particularly like Wolverine as a character, it doesn't mean that every issue I review with him in it is automatically going to be marked down just because he's got an appearance in the issue. That's just stupid reasoning and hypocritical of the reviewer. M "
:)
#13 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11602 posts) - - Show Bio

People does that in general, they hate a comic before read the damn comic, some becuase, the writter sucks in some storylines, other becuase there is character they hate on the comic.
Other becuase they hate the company, i know Marvel fans that hate DC, to the point they hate great DC comics.

#14 Posted by deadpoolwins:) (124 posts) - - Show Bio

deadpool is ultimate, and is a great character, i have read x- force, and deadpool just makes it better, however im disapointed in his sudden increase in popularity
#15 Posted by HarlequinKiss (441 posts) - - Show Bio

It is VERY amateur. Heck, I don't like Wolverine but I love Deadpool comics despite his constant appearances. Babs don't know what she talkin' bout, DP is the shit.

#16 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (278 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a matter of whether she feels he should be there or not. Between the overflow of Deadpool related cameos/one shots/minis/contraceptives, she may have just figured he was there as a boost to sales.

While I didn't know what to expect when I picked up the issue, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a return to "Classic" Deadpool, so I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

I will admit, i go into Way's DP expecting mediocre and full of stale lame jokes. I don't *want* them, but they continually show up. Up until the Pirate arc I was simply wondering what Way was leading upto. When I realized he was doing nothing, and just fucking about and making Deadpool act like a retard for the sake of a laugh, I just figured empty plots and shallow characterizations would be prevalent through his entire run.

#17 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito: 
Maybye I'm being too hard on her, I just think that singular comic reviews should only be concerned with the comic itself, not all of the outside influences people bring into it.  
#18 Posted by Capo_Del_Bandito (278 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters: Well I think the outside influences take a big part of it as well. I mean, imagine if Wolverine were invited to join the Great Lakes Champions. Deadpool, though badass and a professional killer, isn't exactly down for secret stealthy type mission. But he fits because of his connections, his ability and his being ok with killing. I can see whys he might think he's there just to boost sales, and that would make someone dislike that characters involvement. Hell, back int he 90s when Wolverine was thrown into whatever title of the month for a sales boost, it felt out of place and forced. It can just bother some people.
#19 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

I noticed this as well.  Reviewers ought to try and avoid such blatant bias

#20 Edited by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Capo_Del_Bandito said:

" @evodmasters: Well I think the outside influences take a big part of it as well. I mean, imagine if Wolverine were invited to join the Great Lakes Champions. Deadpool, though badass and a professional killer, isn't exactly down for secret stealthy type mission. But he fits because of his connections, his ability and his being ok with killing. I can see whys he might think he's there just to boost sales, and that would make someone dislike that characters involvement. Hell, back int he 90s when Wolverine was thrown into whatever title of the month for a sales boost, it felt out of place and forced. It can just bother some people. " 

K. So Warren, a guy who has big white wings and who is sometimes a blue guy with big metal wings is "down for secret stealthy type mission." Gotcha ;). Wolverine joining the Great Lakes Avengers would be ridiculous and has absolutely nothing to do with this argument. Deadpool a professional mercenary and assassin with years of experience and who has the ability to come out of most bad situations better than most wouldn't be right for this team. Why?
#21 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that it is kind of rediculous to down-rate a book simply because you don't like one character in it. ( Especially since I assume that Babs might never have read the original Deadpool Classic series by Joe Kelly which features a totally different Deadpool than the one that can be found in Daniel Way's series. ) 
But than again, I can see how it can sometimes become difficult to keep neutral while reviewing so many comics. You always have characters you like, and don't like.
Though I found Uncanny X-Force 1 to be a very good issue.

#22 Posted by tensor (4713 posts) - - Show Bio

i see that happen on vine a couple times, its funny the hardest thing to get on comic vine is ,a 5/5 review of a comic, even when the entire comic is good ,the cover make it fails ,in some case i agree, but in some case i think it looks good, but it is a matter of opinion

#23 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

She can rate it whatever she wants. So can you. Why not write a review and give it a six out of five, because Deadpool is in it?

#24 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read the comic or listened to the review, but I can see where Babs is coming from. Deadpool when he is in a comic book(not sure about this one, but I'm assuming) tends to steal a lot of "screen time" from other characters because of this writer need to throw some lame one liner every other time a character talks. Having Deadpool in a lot of comics I have read takes away from the story. As I said, I haven't read this comic, but it's been a  past experience.

#25 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: Yeah. Well when you have a character like Deadpool who's called the merc with a mouth, you can't exactly simply have him be silent in the background the whole issue.
But in Uncanny X-Force, Remender writes a more true-to-old-roots Deadpool who hasn't got any inner dialogue going on etc. So it makes for a way less crowded read. And Remender also does something with Deadpool to keep him quiet a bit during a large part of this issue. So he doesn't push away "screen time" of the other characters.
#26 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir:  As I said, I haven't read the issue.  I'm just making an assumption based off past experiences with Deadpool.
#27 Posted by Jake Fury (18979 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good issue and Deadpool was written well in it. 

As for Babs, shes entitled to her opinion and could have given it a ZERO if she wanted. Don't let someone else's opinion offend you and stay true to your own likes & dislikes. 

#28 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Only Jerks Read things they expect to suck...

#29 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" She can rate it whatever she wants. So can you. Why not write a review and give it a six out of five, because Deadpool is in it? "
Because that would be very stupid. For more information on what stupid is please look in a mirror.
#30 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

It just seems like people are getting tired of seeing Deadpool in everything just like how Venom was back in the 90's I for one am not because you can look at my username and see i'm a big Deadpool fan. As far as my concern keep the Deadpool action coming and let the haters make Wade more popular!
#31 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio
@IIDEADxPOOLII said:

"you can look at my username and see i'm a big Deadpool fan."

A username really isn't an actual indicator of how big a fan you are.

@Jake Fury said:
"As for Babs, shes entitled to her opinion and could have given it a ZERO if she wanted. Don't let someone else's opinion offend you and stay true to your own likes & dislikes.  "

I disagree, since Babs is functioning in somewhat of an 'official' position on this site, she's supposed to keep somewhat of a neutrality. Which isn't to say she isn't allowed to dislike Deadpool. But she should be able to rate an issue purely on the quality of that single issue ( or series ) without having personal feelings towards one of the characters influence it that much .. 
At least that's my opinion.
#32 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir said:

A username really isn't an actual indicator of how big a fan you are. 

Excuse my ignorance sir as to you are right my username doesn't show how big of a fan I am of Deadpool I was just saying because I have no possible way to show you all the Deadpool products I own and If I told you, you would probably think i'd be lying which I wouldn't blame you because I didn't show proof.
#33 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio
@IIDEADxPOOLII: Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh, was ( and actually still am ) working on a project that has to be finished by tomorrow while writting the comment. I didn't actually mean that your not a Deadpool fan, for all I know you could be a much bigger fan than I am, but I just thought it was a funny way to express it.
#34 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @ShirEPanjshir:  As I said, I haven't read the issue.  I'm just making an assumption based off past experiences with Deadpool. "
I'm okay with this. The argument is should people down-rate a comic if the only reason they give is not liking the character, not because of the character's actions in the comic, but due to a previous bias they have going into the comic.
#35 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:
" @Nobody said:
" @ShirEPanjshir:  As I said, I haven't read the issue.  I'm just making an assumption based off past experiences with Deadpool. "
I'm okay with this. The argument is should people down-rate a comic if the only reason they give is not liking the character, not because of the character's actions in the comic, but due to a previous bias they have going into the comic. "
I believe that is entirely depends on the person reading the comic. I know that I have done it.
#36 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @evodmasters said:
" @Nobody said:
I'm okay with this. The argument is should people down-rate a comic if the only reason they give is not liking the character, not because of the character's actions in the comic, but due to a previous bias they have going into the comic. "
I believe that is entirely depends on the person reading the comic. I know that I have done it. "
You have done what exactly.
#37 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:
" @Nobody said:
" @evodmasters said:
" @Nobody said:
I believe that is entirely depends on the person reading the comic. I know that I have done it. "
You have done what exactly. "
I've rated a comic lower due to a specific character appearing in it simply because I don't like the character.
#38 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody:
I would not proud of that. I don't care if it is Superboy Prime, as moderators you should hold your selves to a higher standard than the rest of us. Setting the examples for the new guys to follow and review each arc as if it were the first time you have seen these characters.
#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91300 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:
" @Nobody: I would not proud of that. I don't care if it is Superboy Prime, as moderators you should hold your selves to a higher standard than the rest of us. Setting the examples for the new guys to follow and review each arc as if it were the first time you have seen these characters. "
This is complete and utter nonsense.Mods are people just like we are.If Babs doesn't like something..it's her opinion and she's allowed to have it.What shapes her opinion has nothing to do with whether she is a mod,staff,anything.If not liking a comic because Deadpool is in it is what she wants to do..she is allowed.A review is AN OPINION.If you don't like her opinion than you just don't but you don't have to take it so personally.I don't see how you can set an example for opinions..unless Babs did something direspectful..I don't see how this post makes any sense.
#40 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:
" @Nobody: I would not proud of that. I don't care if it is Superboy Prime, as moderators you should hold your selves to a higher standard than the rest of us. Setting the examples for the new guys to follow and review each arc as if it were the first time you have seen these characters. "
Why? I don't hold myself to any hire standards than any other user should, and neither should the staff or other mods. A review is a personal opinion about a something, in this case a comic book. If I don't like the character Aquaman(I do actually), I wouldn't rate a book about him and his adventures in Atlantis as high as I would rate a book about...say Batman or something. It's just a matter of personal taste.
#41 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @evodmasters said:
This is complete and utter nonsense.Mods are people just like we are.If Babs doesn't like something..it's her opinion and she's allowed to have it.What shapes her opinion has nothing to do with whether she is a mod,staff,anything.If not liking a comic because Deadpool is in it is what she wants to do..she is allowed.A review is AN OPINION.If you don't like her opinion than you just don't but you don't have to take it so personally.I don't see how you can set an example for opinions..unless Babs did something direspectful..I don't see how this post makes any sense. "
I just don't want a bunch of people down rating good comics only for not liking a character, it sends the wrong message to those who only look at the ratings when deciding what to read on Wednesday. This goes for any character ever, if there were a Rhino and Lizard spin off of Spider-man and if it is good, then the comic should rated on its own merits. We are rating the comics, not rallying people to the cause of not liking a character. Yes I realize that these are "OPINIONS", and if it were you reviewing and doing this I would not care, but the title of moderator has people think that they were hired for their expertise and vast knowledge of comics, at least that is what newbies think when they come on to this site. It is not fair to the viners, readers, comics, or authors who get an unfair review of any comic.
#42 Edited by Vance Astro (91300 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:

I just don't want a bunch of people down rating good comics only for not liking a character, it sends the wrong message to those who only look at the ratings when deciding what to read on Wednesday. This goes for any character ever, if there were a Rhino and Lizard spin off of Spider-man and if it is good, then the comic should rated on its own merits. We are rating the comics, not rallying people to the cause of not liking a character. Yes I realize that these are "OPINIONS", and if it were you reviewing and doing this I would not care, but the title of moderator has people think that they were hired for their expertise and vast knowledge of comics, at least that is what newbies think when they come on to this site. It is not fair to the viners, readers, comics, or authors who get an unfair review of any comic. "

Maybe we watched 2 different videos because I didn't once hear Babs say or even hint that she downrated the comic because Deadpool was in it.If I recall correctly all she said (when talking about the team as a whole) that "she doesn't like Deadpool in her X-Force" and that his appearance in the book "feels gimmicky". She gave the comic a 3.5...(maybe a 4) with the edit.Neither of those are bad scores.The way people are reacting you would have thought she gave it a 1.She said more than once in that video that the comic was good.So why would anyone take away from it that it was a bad comic when it got an average score from one reviewer and a PERFECT score from another?

I understand what you are saying.Babs should not base her opinion of a comic on just one character but at the same time you have to remember..this is the first issue.This is the issue that lays out the characters and what we are going to be seeing for the rest of the volume.So in that case I can see her downrating it because of Deadpool because she's thinking about the bigger picture.In example...I personally feel that the Avengers books for the Heroic Age would have gotten average to low scores from me because of the character rosters.In my opinion they are poorly put together and for the rest of that volume most of those characters will still be there...so how can I not have a problem with that? If I plan on reading the rest of it I will constantly have to deal with characters I don't like in order to read about characters I do.It's a flaw in team books.It's not like Deadpool just appeared once and he's never going to be in the book again.He's on the team.So again I don't see where this is coming from.If she downgraded an issue of Daredevil because Luke Cage was in it...then you would have something because Luke's appearance in the book are and will be limited to an arc it's not what will continuously happen for the remainder of his volume.
#43 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio

"Every comic is somebody's first comic" The Man 
With this in mind...
"Every review is somebody's first review" evodmasters

#44 Posted by Vance Astro (91300 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:
" "Every comic is somebody's first comic" The Man  With this in mind..."Every review is somebody's first review" evodmasters "
What is the point of this post?
#45 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

" @evodmasters said:

" "Every comic is somebody's first comic" The Man  With this in mind..."Every review is somebody's first review" evodmasters "
What is the point of this post? "
I would be happy to explain, Stan Lee once said that "Every comic is someone's first comic.". What he meant by this was that every comic has someone who has never read comics will take their interpretation from that comic and remember it when deciding to whether or not to buy any other comics. Yes, I know that a review is an opinionated piece of work and reflects the feelings and reactions to the work. What I have been trying to say is that the reviews on this site are used by the populace to decide whether or not to buy a comic. If the story is poorly written, the art is horribly bad, or if the characters have bad interactions that destroys the narrative, then feel free to lower the score. But, if someone lowers of a comic that they admit to liking and lower the score because he doesn't feel right and not give reasons other than I hate Deadpool so lets adjust my rating to reflect that. Do you not see how this negatively influences this site as a whole? Will I forever wonder if a comic that had a bad review only fell due to the writer's predisposition on the character and not the work itself? If this becomes a trend by Whiskey Media's staff it could hurt their reputation as a review site and destroy the credibility it has been establishing. What is a review's cost to a person who doesn't have a predisposition against a character you dislike? It could make it so that a great comic doesn't get bought because of a bias someone brought into the work. What is wrong with wanting standards? And don't tell me a video review does not have more clout than a written review.
#46 Edited by Vance Astro (91300 posts) - - Show Bio
@evodmasters said:

I would be happy to explain, Stan Lee once said that "Every comic is someone's first comic.". What he meant by this was that every comic has someone who has never read comics will take their interpretation from that comic and remember it when deciding to whether or not to buy any other comics. Yes, I know that a review is an opinionated piece of work and reflects the feelings and reactions to the work. What I have been trying to say is that the reviews on this site are used by the populace to decide whether or not to buy a comic. If the story is poorly written, the art is horribly bad, or if the characters have bad interactions that destroys the narrative, then feel free to lower the score. But, if someone lowers of a comic that they admit to liking and lower the score because he doesn't feel right and not give reasons other than I hate Deadpool so lets adjust my rating to reflect that. Do you not see how this negatively influences this site as a whole? Will I forever wonder if a comic that had a bad review only fell due to the writer's predisposition on the character and not the work itself? If this becomes a trend by Whiskey Media's staff it could hurt their reputation as a review site and destroy the credibility it has been establishing. What is a review's cost to a person who doesn't have a predisposition against a character you dislike? It could make it so that a great comic doesn't get bought because of a bias someone brought into the work. What is wrong with wanting standards? And don't tell me a video review does not have more clout than a written review. "

I still think you're blowing this way out of proportion. 

If people are using the reviews on Comicvine to decide what comics they are going to buy..(I asked this already and you didn't answer) why would they not pick this is up based on the video? Babs officially gave the comic a 4 out of 5 and G-Man gave it a 5 out of 5.Even if she gave it a 3.5 and the video has been edited..those are still good scores so I don't see what the problem is.You keep saying "lower" this "lower" that when the she gave the issue damn near a perfect score. There's alot of whining about bias as if every website that offers reviews don't have their own biases.You know how many reviews i've read on IGN that I thought were biased? Reviews are supposed to HELP you form an opinion.You're not supposed to take every word they say as law.If someone who doesn't read comics sees this video and says.."I'm not going to read this because some girl on the internet said it wasn't a PERFECT comic because a character SHE doesn't like is in it." then that's on them.
#47 Edited by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

There are actually two sides to this whole predicament which make it rather impossible to solve.

On one side: people like Babs and G-Man have a ( rather high ) influential example to all the comic book readers who look at their reviews. Especially the video reviews. A lot of people rely on their reviews and their opinions whether or not to buy or start buying certain issues. So for this, Babs and G-Man should be trying to give the most objective opinion they can, and rate a comic book purely on story quality, art quality, ... Rather than having their likes/disklikes for certain characters influence the ratings.

On the other side: As said before, a review is a personal opinion about a comic book. Thus there actually should and will be an amount of personal likes/dislikes that will influence the ratings. After all, every one of us has his likes and dislikes. And we all downrate / uprate certain comics simply because we love / hate the characters in them. It's to the community itself to realize that Babs and G-Man have their own opinion, but that it doesn't mean that they are the voice of god, and that they are always right.

However, what I can't appreciate is that people tend to dislike certain characters, based off only one or maybe two experiences, or maybe based off nothing at all. In the case of Deadpool I'm pretty sure that a lot of people hate him, even though they might have never read anything on him, or perhaps only read an appearance. Than there are those who have only read Daniel way's run, and hate him, which is already more understandable. But for those people I wish that they 'd read the early Deadpool stuff, which was a lot better.
But if you've read Deadpool stuff, and it just isn't your thing, than it's your right to dislike Deadpool and express this in a proper manner.

#48 Posted by The Lobster (1524 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir:  I have to agree with you 100% about people disliking characters. 

I could never hate Deadpool.....just because one writer is doing a terrible job at writing him doesn't mean he's a terrible character. People nowadays seem to hate Deadpool, but a lot of these people are only reading the new stuff that comes out and ignoring all previous stuff. Little do they know that anyone whose been a fan of Deadpool before he got popular knows that his best stuff is his oldest stuff. Joe Kelly's stuff, Gail Simone's stuff, and the Cable and Deadpool series were all magnificently written and so far the cream of the crop when it comes to Deadpool. So it's kind of unfair to judge a character's worth based on all his bad stuff. 

You can't call yourself a fan if you haven't read all of his stuff, good and bad. 

Now that's not to say that all of his stuff nowadays are bad.....Uncanny X-Force already is great because of Rick Remender returning to the way Deadpool is supposed to be written, Deadpool MAX looks like it has a fighting chance to be great even if it's out of continuity, and Deadpool Merc With A Mouth was fun and enjoyable but ended anticlimactically.
#49 Posted by Vance Astro (91300 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir said:
 A lot of people rely on their reviews and their opinions whether or not to buy or start buying certain issues. So for this, Babs and G-Man should be trying to give the most objective opinion they can, and rate a comic book purely on story quality, art quality, ... Rather than having their likes/disklikes for certain characters influence the ratings. 
The fact of the matter is this.People keep going on an on about the ratings but G-man and Babs both said they liked the issue.G-man gave it the best possible rating it can get and Babs gave it a decent score.So I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is.It seems that people are more dwelling on the fact that she said she doesn't like Deadpool than her actual rating.Characters are part of the book just like anything else.If there is a character in the book I don't like I don't see how it's being biased to not give the book the best rating it can get.
#50 Posted by Vance Astro (91300 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Lobster said:
" @ShirEPanjshir:  I have to agree with you 100% about people disliking characters.   I could never hate Deadpool.....just because one writer is doing a terrible job at writing him doesn't mean he's a terrible character. People nowadays seem to hate Deadpool, but a lot of these people are only reading the new stuff that comes out and ignoring all previous stuff. Little do they know that anyone whose been a fan of Deadpool before he got popular knows that his best stuff is his oldest stuff. Joe Kelly's stuff, Gail Simone's stuff, and the Cable and Deadpool series were all magnificently written and so far the cream of the crop when it comes to Deadpool. So it's kind of unfair to judge a character's worth based on all his bad stuff.   You can't call yourself a fan if you haven't read all of his stuff, good and bad.   Now that's not to say that all of his stuff nowadays are bad.....Uncanny X-Force already is great because of Rick Remender returning to the way Deadpool is supposed to be written, Deadpool MAX looks like it has a fighting chance to be great even if it's out of continuity, and Deadpool Merc With A Mouth was fun and enjoyable but ended anticlimactically. "
I slightly agree with this.As a Daredevil fan I don't like what's doing on with him in Shadowland but I still read it because he's still my favorite character.You can't call yourself a fan if you don't read the good and the bad.You have obviously been exposed to alot of Deadpool having read Joe Kelly's work on the book but you have read the books and formed your own opinion of the character.Most people on comivine who like any character..like those characters because they have been exposed to them and read an extensive amount about the characters. So basically where I am going with this is when choosing characters that you like..do you take someone's word for it or do you actually read the books they are in and form your own opinion.If you are new to something like (let's say) video games..do you not buy a game because they said it sucked on X-play or do you still buy it and see for yourself? You can't have an opinion with out ACTUALLY being exposed to the material.Alot of the recent Deadpool hate comes from Marvel's treatment of the character and his appearance being spread all over the Marvel U in Wolverine\Spider-Man fashion.In direct relation to Babs' "It feels gimmicky" comment.She doesn't think Deadpool is in the book for any other reason but to further Marvel's agenda at making him more popular.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.