Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3316 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpoool: Merc With A Mouth #4 REVIEWED

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I've mentioned before that I do like Deadpool.  How can you not like him?  Sure he's good in small doses and we're on the verge of getting a lot more in the upcoming months.  To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the Merc With A Mouth series.  Over the weekend I sat down and read all four issues.  It was like a Deadpool fest.

I think it's safe to say that this Deadpool series is different from the regular one.  Part of it may be the difference in the writings of Victor Gischler and Daniel Way.  Maybe they're meant to be different.  If this series is meant to keep Deadpool more separate from the rest of the Marvel Universe, that could be a good thing.  We'll see when the Deadpool fun continues after this storyline is over.

Which brings up my main gripe.  I feel this Savage Land story has been going on long enough.  While I enjoy a good mulit-part story, there's just something about this one that feels like it's dragging on.  I do have to say that I like the inclusion of the Zombie Deadpool head.  As I mentioned, he'd make a good sidekick for Deadpool.

The art is pretty good here.  There were some times when Deadpool felt a little cartoony.  Over all it just works, especially with the addition of Matt Milla's colors.

There's no question that if you're a hardcore Deadpool fan, you're probably really digging this story.  I do like seeing more of Deadpool but I'm ready for the next arc to begin.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Agent Buttons
    I stopped reading after the 1st issue...just couldn't get into it :/
    Ikkybooger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ikkybooger

You said liked the cover because it was simple yet powerful, but made no mention of the fact that it's a spoof of the Scareface movie poster. Maybe it was so obvious it needed no mention, maybe I'm a dumb-ass for pointing it out, but I though maybe you might've missed that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

This is a Question for anyone who has read Deadpool for a while, and has read both of the current series's: For someone who just wants to jumps into a Deadpool book, who just wants some good laughs and is just looking for a good story (which I don't mind 6 issue story arcs), which series is worth picking up out of the the two (Deadpool or Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth)?

Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@War Killer said:
    "This is a Question for anyone who has read Deadpool for a while, and has read both of the current series's: For someone who just wants to jumps into a Deadpool book, who just wants some good laughs and is just looking for a good story (which I don't mind 6 issue story arcs), which series is worth picking up out of the the two (Deadpool or Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth)? "

Out of those two, I would definitely read Daniel Way's Deadpool. I really like his writing, especially with Deadpool, because he can mix the right amount of humor, action, plot twists, and insight into Wade's personality. Merc with a Mouth, from the first two issues I read, is just stupid jokes Deadpool spews out rather than laughs arising from the crazy situations Way puts him in.  
    New readers, however, might want to check out Deadpool Team-Up #899 (which I think comes out this week?). I think it'll mostly be self-contained stories, so you won't need to know much continuity-wise. If you like what you read, then maybe you'll want to plug into the other series.
    Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Nefilim927
    @Ikkybooger said:
    "You said liked the cover because it was simple yet powerful, but made no mention of the fact that it's a spoof of the Scareface movie poster. Maybe it was so obvious it needed no mention, maybe I'm a dumb-ass for pointing it out, but I though maybe you might've missed that. "

Except for the first one they've all been remakes of classics.  Jaws, Dawn of the Dead and Scarface.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Media_Master

This is too long, while the Deadpool Pirate arc was too short.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Ikkybooger: You're not a dumbass for pointing it out.  I'm sure there's loads of people that missed that.  I just didn't mention it.  The covers have been pretty clever.

@Anderson: Agent of SMITH: Daniel Way does have a great understanding of Deadpool.  

@Media_Master: I would've loved at least one more Pirate Deadpool issue!
    Noir-Bot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Noir-Bot

I totally felt the dialog wasn't "Deadpooly" enough. At first I thought it was just me, but after reading a few issues I was completely convinced it wasn't.
    I think it's the reason why I haven't been liking these issues very much. : (

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The_Scourge
    @War Killer said:
    " This is a Question for anyone who has read Deadpool for a while, and has read both of the current series's: For someone who just wants to jumps into a Deadpool book, who just wants some good laughs and is just looking for a good story (which I don't mind 6 issue story arcs), which series is worth picking up out of the the two (Deadpool or Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth)? "
    Definitely pick up Way's series.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

Stopped after #3, it just fell flat for me. Way's series is MUCH better.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

Stopped after #3, it just fell flat for me. Way's series is MUCH better.
    Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12  Edited By Deadstroke

OKAY RANT TIME!!!!

Still love this series more then Daniel Way's mainly because Victor loves the character.

Whenever Daniel Way talks about Deadpool he sees it as a business and just an extra series he's working on to put food on the table. Victor however likes the character and would gladly write as many Deadpool stories as he can. Deadpool 900 proved that. I mean haven't you found it funny that besides the Deadpool ongoing series Daniel Way hasn't written any extra Deadpool stories? He's too busy trying to make Daken popular... 

Victor however not only found time to write this ongoing series but also a short story for Deadpool 900, I've also been told he's going to be the one writing The Deadpool Corps. That's three different stories, what has Way written? The ongoing series and his appearance in the Wolverine Origins series (Alongside Daken). Daniel Way can write Deadpool really well if he puts the time and effort into doing it, however I find he hasn't been doing that latley because (again I say) he's too busy trying to make his own creation (Daken) popular.

I love this series, it's good old mindless fun and that's what Deadpool should be.  Also it's the closest we've gotten to the 'real'  Joe Kelly style of Deadpool, that we haven't gotten  in years. The style of humor, the deadpool personality, etc, are as close to I've seen as a coherent linear style of Deadpool that we've had in years. I appreciate it. 

Another problem with Way's series is that he's to busy trying to make Deadpool a mainstream Marvel character. He's focusing more on tieing Deadpool into a large event that is happening, rather then focusing on developing character.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I take it no one at Hydra has never even watched a zombie movie. Don't they know that zombie weapons never turn out right?

So,......in the end. Deadpool is still just talking to himself, basically.

I liked the sound effect added to the rating.

Lydian Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lydian Sel

This stuff looks great!! Though I really wish I could find this stuff in Australia without a price that both molests & humiliates in the process of a simple purchase.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

I wish I'd picked this series up from the start (back issue prices are insane!), but I've a lot of regrets about missing Deadpool over my comic-less years.   

What surprises me most is the negative criticism about it being too light.  It's not that long ago when all the criticism was laid at Daniel Way's feet for being too serious.  Now there's a series that has the fun element that the character had 10 year ago, but apparently that's not right either...?!    

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

The story needs to end real quick. Because it is getting to long, they need to start doing something to make this story arc better 

Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrimsonComedian

Stopped after #1. Not the greatest comic series going. I'm a GIANT fan of Deadpool, but I think the story to it is reasonably stupid. 

@War Killer:  Just Deadpool. Don't bother with Merc With A Mouth. The writer doesn't get under the skin of Deadpool properly if you know what I'm saying o_O Way's series is ten times better, and he explains who Deadpool is and there's a butt load of action and comedy along with it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

Wow, I didn't realize there were such strong feelings against this book.  I do want to applaud Deadstroke for standing up for it since he enjoys it more.  We're all entitled to our own opinion.  I guess it's a good thing that the two Deadpool comics do sort of have a different feel to them.  Makes them stand apart and you have a choice whether or not you want to pick them both up.

CancerSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CancerSlug

I love how up to this issue almost all 4 covers have been from movies like this one is from scarface. Im not to sure if issue 1 was from a movie but 2 and 3 were.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5eb002c4cfd0e
    deactivated-5eb002c4cfd0e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

@Ikkybooger:
    it may not actually be connected with anything to do with scarface - its just the design they come up with from scratch.
    Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deadstroke
    @G-Man said:
    " Wow, I didn't realize there were such strong feelings against this book.  I do want to applaud Deadstroke for standing up for it since he enjoys it more.  We're all entitled to our own opinion.  I guess it's a good thing that the two Deadpool comics do sort of have a different feel to them.  Makes them stand apart and you have a choice whether or not you want to pick them both up. "
    I believe every word of what I type, I guess the main reason I like it is because Victor's writing style reminds me a lot of Joe Kelly's they share a lot a traits and comedic timing. When I read the series I get a small amount of Nosalgia from it. Daniel can write a good Deadpool story (Bullseye arc) but he's too busy trying to make Deadpool a mainstream character and trying to make Daken more popular. 

A lot of people are complaining that the series doesn't dive into Deadpool's mind, but if you ask me what more do we need? He's a crazy sad clown story who would kill his own mother if it meant a fat paycheck. Besides we are only 4 issues in, it's too early to say if this writer can write a great Deadpool story. It took Daniel Way at least 10 issues to tell an amazing Deadpool story and I'm willing to give Victor at least 12 issues to knock my socks off, if he hasn't then I'll give up on the series. 

However I'm enjoying the series, so far and issue 2 of "Head Trip" was funny as hell.
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#22  Edited By HaloKing343

Is Deadpool Corpse going to be a new series?

Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deadstroke
    @HaloKing343 said:
    " Is Deadpool Corpse going to be a new series? "
    No it's a mini series, and it's tied in with the events that will happen in Deadpool : Merc With a Mouth.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Hold on why are there messages scrolling across the screen, is my computer haunted?

wadey wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wadey wilson

I like more the other series, but this one is also good, but my greatest fear is that maybe people will get too much of deadpool and eventually they'll hate him, it has happened before with other characters and specially with Marvel, but 'pool: YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE PLACE IN MY HEART!!
    karasu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By karasu_

"if you really like deadpool, theres a little extra for you" hahah xD 
    can't say i'm too happy with all the deadpool, he's way awesome, but marvel might be pushing it....   
    they need to slow down, otherwise people might just start getting annoyed of him... 
    either way im always going to love his character!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Deadstroke said:
    OKAY RANT TIME!!!!
    Where's my royalty check?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Deadstroke said:
    OKAY RANT TIME!!!!
    Where's my royalty check?
    Avatar image for mighty_destroyer
    Mighty_Destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Mighty_Destroyer

Im not that big a fan of this series but im giving it a chance. Is it just me or is the whole scantily clad dr kind of annoying.

Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deadstroke
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Deadstroke said:
    OKAY RANT TIME!!!!
    Where's my royalty check? "
    The one that doesn't exist? I don't know?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.