Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpool's best writer

bballaag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bballaag

There have been many writers for Deadpool since he was first introduced in The New Mutants #98. Which one or ones have been your favorite? Just to show some there are:

Fabian Nicieza: Cable & Deadpool/ The Circle Chase

Daniel Way: 2008 - present issues

Rick Spears: Deadpool Team-up

Rob Williams: Deadpool Team-up

Frank Tieri: 1997 - 2002 issues

Jimmy Palmiotti: 1997 - 2002 issues

Buddy Scalera: 1997 - 2002 issues

Paco Diaz Luque: 1997 - 2002 issues

Joe Kelly: 1997 - 2002 issues

David Lapham: Deadpool Max

Victor Gischler: Merc With a Mouth, Deadpool Corps

Those are just some. Who has been your favorite?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Way *Insert trollface here*

ranvage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ranvage

In my humble minion opinion, Joe Kelly was, and always will be, the Deadpool master.

Delta Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Delta Red

Nicieza and Gischler for me

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Fabian FTW.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RScottH08

Daniel Way for me, saw the guy on a panel at Comic Con and his demeanor and personality really showed some Deadpool in it.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEADPOOL

Joe Kelly and Mark Waid are my favorites. Joe Kelly's original run and Mark Waid's "If Looks Could Kill" are engraved in my memory forever.

EpicAssassin90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EpicAssassin90

Joe Kelly & Victor Gischler FTW the rest are good (exept for way) but these guys are a personal prefence.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I loved both Joe Kelly's and Fabian Nicieza's runs. Gischler did pretty good with Merc with a Mouth but Deadpool Corps really sucked. Daniel Way's run started out pretty good with Secret Invasion and the Bullseye arc, but has really declined in quality since then and is currently amounting into one worthless gimmick after another. Also, where's Remender in this list? He's currently writing the best Deadpool version out there.

But for Deadpool's own books it's a tie between Joe Kelly and Fabian Nicieza.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Joe Kelly and Fabian Nicieza.
    bballaag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bballaag

@ShirEPanjshir: Those were just naming a few. I completely forgot about Remender. Great writer!

If I were to pick then I would say Kelly and Nicieza. Daniel Way is making his way up though! Some of the new ones have been great and some haven't been to well.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Joe Kelly.  

/Thread

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By Samimista

Joe Kelly

Avatar image for www_deadpoolforum_com
    www.deadpoolforum.com

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joe Kelly and Gail Simone are my favorites and Victor Gischler is very good as well.

I hate to "jump on the bandwagon" but I'm seriously disappointed with Way.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Kelly, Benson, and Fabian.

SinSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SinSyndicate

I like Kelly's treatment of the character best. His Deadpool feels different to me from all the others. Most of the other Deadpools seem to me like guys that were picked on as kids. The Kelly Deadpool feels more like an alpha male, a bully who picked on others who is actually insecure himself. That insecurity would be made so much worse after his face becomes deformed. And given Deadpool's abilities, I like that Deadpool. It makes more sense to me. However, I think T-ray is a terrible villain and that whole storyline kind of sucked.

I also like Nicieza's but he feels a lot more idiosyncratic to me, like a quirky outsider rather than the alpha male type. However, the introduction to Deadpool in Cable and Deadpool is unforgettable. I feel like Nicieza is responsible for a lot of things people associate with Pool.

I really enjoyed Merc with a Mouth and I like Gischler but Gischler has a very specific style that I feel like comes through in his writing. So sometimes with him, Pool takes on a personality that doesn't feel quite right to me.

Way I think has some great ideas but poor execution a lot of times. I wish he was edited better or he had a co-writer. I also dislike some of his ideas about Pool's personality. I know Nicieza treated him that way but I don't think of Pool as being quickly into one thing or another all the time. I think there's elements of that but a lot more depth underneath than Way's Deadpool displays.

Remender's Deadpool feels like it could be the closest thing to Kelly's yet. A guy who is damaged mentally and funny but still not an idiot or a clown, completely competent and very dangerous. This is the Deadpool I most look forward to reading now.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#18  Edited By The Lobster

You're not a true Deadpool fan if you haven't read Joe Kelly's work.....and that isn't an opinion it's a fact. 

Every character has the writer that does the stuff every other writer aims to be like when they write the character. The writer that sets the standards. For the Punisher it was Garth Ennis, for Captain America it's Ed Brubaker, for Hulk it's Greg Pak, and for Deadpool it's Joe Kelly. Joe Kelly's Deadpool is the best of the best when it comes to how Deadpool is written....The only two writers who seem to be close to being as good a Kelly's run was Gail Simone and Rick Remender....nuff said. 

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RScottH08 said:

Daniel Way for me, saw the guy on a panel at Comic Con and his demeanor and personality really showed some Deadpool in it.

So the guy talks with the air and says there is yellow and white boxes that you cant see?

@The Lobster said:

You're not a true Deadpool fan if you haven't read Joe Kelly's work.....and that isn't an opinion it's a fact.

Every character has the writer that does the stuff every other writer aims to be like when they write the character. The writer that sets the standards. For the Punisher it was Garth Ennis, for Captain America it's Ed Brubaker, for Hulk it's Greg Pak, and for Deadpool it's Joe Kelly. Joe Kelly's Deadpool is the best of the best when it comes to how Deadpool is written....The only two writers who seem to be close to being as good a Kelly's run was Gail Simone and Rick Remender....nuff said.

And Grant Morrison for Jason Todd, hahahahaha...... sorry i cant help myself, i need to make that joke.

ShadowPanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShadowPanther

@The Dark Huntress said:

Way *Insert trollface here*

lmao

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tigerstriper

@The Lobster said:

Joe Kelly with Gail simone a close second.

And I promise I'm not trying to start something here, but it would bug me if I didn't tack this on.

Punisher -Chuck Dixon

Captain America -Mark Waid

Hulk -Peter David

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#22  Edited By The Lobster
    @Tigerstriper said:

@The Lobster said:

Joe Kelly with Gail simone a close second.

And I promise I'm not trying to start something here, but it would bug me if I didn't tack this on.

Punisher -Chuck Dixon

Captain America -Mark Waid

Hulk -Peter David

I'd switch Punisher from Chuck Dixon to Garth Ennis, but otherwise good choices. Nothing will top Garth Ennis Punisher run, nothing. The other examples I gave are debatable amongst fans.
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chuck Dixon = Best Batman, Best Punisher and Best Deadpool ever.

Why?

BECUASE HE IS CHUCK DIXON!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.