Deadpool's best writer

#1 Posted by bballaag (79 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been many writers for Deadpool since he was first introduced in The New Mutants #98. Which one or ones have been your favorite? Just to show some there are:

Fabian Nicieza: Cable & Deadpool/ The Circle Chase

Daniel Way: 2008 - present issues

Rick Spears: Deadpool Team-up

Rob Williams: Deadpool Team-up

Frank Tieri: 1997 - 2002 issues

Jimmy Palmiotti: 1997 - 2002 issues

Buddy Scalera: 1997 - 2002 issues

Paco Diaz Luque: 1997 - 2002 issues

Joe Kelly: 1997 - 2002 issues

David Lapham: Deadpool Max

Victor Gischler: Merc With a Mouth, Deadpool Corps

Those are just some. Who has been your favorite?

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92709 posts) - - Show Bio

Way *Insert trollface here*

#3 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

In my humble minion opinion, Joe Kelly was, and always will be, the Deadpool master.

#4 Posted by Delta Red (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicieza and Gischler for me

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

Fabian FTW.

#6 Posted by Renchamp (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked the Fabian Deadpool, even though his writing got me into the character. I just see too much 90's New Warriors influence. I hated 90's New Warriors. And Deadpool MAX, to me, sucks. Rhino. Lapham is out. I'll say the dark horse, though: Remender has done a fun enough job of making him a serious character with the ability to bust out some seriously funny one-liners. I love Wade as a serious character and not just one, long joke.

#7 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Daniel Way for me, saw the guy on a panel at Comic Con and his demeanor and personality really showed some Deadpool in it.

#8 Edited by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Kelly and Mark Waid are my favorites. Joe Kelly's original run and Mark Waid's "If Looks Could Kill" are engraved in my memory forever.

#9 Posted by EpicAssassin90 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Kelly & Victor Gischler FTW the rest are good (exept for way) but these guys are a personal prefence.

#10 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved both Joe Kelly's and Fabian Nicieza's runs. Gischler did pretty good with Merc with a Mouth but Deadpool Corps really sucked. Daniel Way's run started out pretty good with Secret Invasion and the Bullseye arc, but has really declined in quality since then and is currently amounting into one worthless gimmick after another. Also, where's Remender in this list? He's currently writing the best Deadpool version out there.

But for Deadpool's own books it's a tie between Joe Kelly and Fabian Nicieza.

#11 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Joe Kelly and Fabian Nicieza.
#12 Posted by bballaag (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShirEPanjshir: Those were just naming a few. I completely forgot about Remender. Great writer!

If I were to pick then I would say Kelly and Nicieza. Daniel Way is making his way up though! Some of the new ones have been great and some haven't been to well.

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Kelly.  

/Thread

#14 Posted by Samimista (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Kelly

#15 Posted by www.deadpoolforum.com (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Kelly and Gail Simone are my favorites and Victor Gischler is very good as well.

I hate to "jump on the bandwagon" but I'm seriously disappointed with Way.

#16 Posted by k4tzm4n (44493 posts) - - Show Bio

Kelly, Benson, and Fabian.

Staff
#17 Edited by SinSyndicate (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Kelly's treatment of the character best. His Deadpool feels different to me from all the others. Most of the other Deadpools seem to me like guys that were picked on as kids. The Kelly Deadpool feels more like an alpha male, a bully who picked on others who is actually insecure himself. That insecurity would be made so much worse after his face becomes deformed. And given Deadpool's abilities, I like that Deadpool. It makes more sense to me. However, I think T-ray is a terrible villain and that whole storyline kind of sucked.

I also like Nicieza's but he feels a lot more idiosyncratic to me, like a quirky outsider rather than the alpha male type. However, the introduction to Deadpool in Cable and Deadpool is unforgettable. I feel like Nicieza is responsible for a lot of things people associate with Pool.

I really enjoyed Merc with a Mouth and I like Gischler but Gischler has a very specific style that I feel like comes through in his writing. So sometimes with him, Pool takes on a personality that doesn't feel quite right to me.

Way I think has some great ideas but poor execution a lot of times. I wish he was edited better or he had a co-writer. I also dislike some of his ideas about Pool's personality. I know Nicieza treated him that way but I don't think of Pool as being quickly into one thing or another all the time. I think there's elements of that but a lot more depth underneath than Way's Deadpool displays.

Remender's Deadpool feels like it could be the closest thing to Kelly's yet. A guy who is damaged mentally and funny but still not an idiot or a clown, completely competent and very dangerous. This is the Deadpool I most look forward to reading now.

#18 Edited by The Lobster (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

You're not a true Deadpool fan if you haven't read Joe Kelly's work.....and that isn't an opinion it's a fact. 

Every character has the writer that does the stuff every other writer aims to be like when they write the character. The writer that sets the standards. For the Punisher it was Garth Ennis, for Captain America it's Ed Brubaker, for Hulk it's Greg Pak, and for Deadpool it's Joe Kelly. Joe Kelly's Deadpool is the best of the best when it comes to how Deadpool is written....The only two writers who seem to be close to being as good a Kelly's run was Gail Simone and Rick Remender....nuff said. 

#19 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10905 posts) - - Show Bio

@RScottH08 said:

Daniel Way for me, saw the guy on a panel at Comic Con and his demeanor and personality really showed some Deadpool in it.

So the guy talks with the air and says there is yellow and white boxes that you cant see?

@The Lobster said:

You're not a true Deadpool fan if you haven't read Joe Kelly's work.....and that isn't an opinion it's a fact.

Every character has the writer that does the stuff every other writer aims to be like when they write the character. The writer that sets the standards. For the Punisher it was Garth Ennis, for Captain America it's Ed Brubaker, for Hulk it's Greg Pak, and for Deadpool it's Joe Kelly. Joe Kelly's Deadpool is the best of the best when it comes to how Deadpool is written....The only two writers who seem to be close to being as good a Kelly's run was Gail Simone and Rick Remender....nuff said.

And Grant Morrison for Jason Todd, hahahahaha...... sorry i cant help myself, i need to make that joke.

#20 Posted by ShadowPanther (132 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Way *Insert trollface here*

lmao

#21 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster said:

Joe Kelly with Gail simone a close second.

And I promise I'm not trying to start something here, but it would bug me if I didn't tack this on.

Punisher -Chuck Dixon

Captain America -Mark Waid

Hulk -Peter David

#22 Edited by The Lobster (1517 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tigerstriper said:

@The Lobster said:

Joe Kelly with Gail simone a close second.

And I promise I'm not trying to start something here, but it would bug me if I didn't tack this on.

Punisher -Chuck Dixon

Captain America -Mark Waid

Hulk -Peter David

I'd switch Punisher from Chuck Dixon to Garth Ennis, but otherwise good choices. Nothing will top Garth Ennis Punisher run, nothing. The other examples I gave are debatable amongst fans.
#23 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10905 posts) - - Show Bio

Chuck Dixon = Best Batman, Best Punisher and Best Deadpool ever.

Why?

BECUASE HE IS CHUCK DIXON!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.