Deadpool: What the New Title Needs

Posted by k4tzm4n (49141 posts) - - Show Bio

The Merc with a Mouth has been through a lot of changes since first appearing in NEW MUTANTS #98. From the '90s to Daniel Way, each version of Wade has been quite different. We've seen him as an evil gun for hire, a man struggling to do the right thing, Cable's bestie, a total cash cow, and most recently, a deadly goofball.

It's still Deadpool in each title at the end of the day, but we all have our preferences. Personally, I enjoyed the character the most in CABLE & DEADPOOL. Writer Fabian Nicieza found a fantastic tone for Mr. Wilson. We pretty much ran the gauntlet of Deadpool's depth; seeing him develop from a fairly selfish mercenary to a man finally happy to be called "hero." The bar segment was a brilliant look at Wade's inner conflict. It's just a shame we never got to see Wade's banter at one of Ben Grimm's poker games.

Regardless of what your favorite Deadpool run is, I think it's safe to say we're all quite pumped for his brand new series by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, and Tony Moore. That said, I think there's three elements (aside from mandatory top-notch humor) that are absolutely critical for a Deadpool book.

Part time clown, full time badass

We all love a good laugh, but we can't forget Deadpool's roots. He's one heck of a talented combatant and we should always be treated to a nice reminder. Sure, his healing factor means you can put him through the meat grinder every now and then, but he's shown excellent displays of skill by having quite a few extensive back and forths with Wolverine, is sporting enhanced speed and agility which renders him very tough to tag, and of course, is very dangerously skilled with his assortment of weapons.

Seeing him run or panic during a fight is funny every now and then, but it pains me when he's treated like a complete clown that needs to rely on an abstract plan. Deadpool's a dangerous dude and hopefully we'll be seeing plenty of that in the new title.

== TEASER ==

You're a friend and a confidant

Deadpool's abstract personality and mindset lets writers have a field day with the character, yet too much of Wade can backfire. In my opinion, it's critical for Wade to have a strong supporting cast to compliment his offbeat banter. That's partially why CABLE & DEADPOOL worked so well.

The two are practically polar opposites in many regards and some of their conversations were pure gold because of the stark differences between the two. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying toss Spider-Man and Wolverine cameos in the book as much as possible -- I just think it's important to fill Wade's universe with a solid supporting cast. Deadpool's made a lot of "friends" over the years and it would be superb to see some of them return to the spotlight as regulars.

You haven't seen the last of me! *shakes fist*

Ajax, Kane, Hit-Monkey, Slayback, T-Ray... Deadpool isn't exactly blessed with the best rogues gallery and to make matters even worse, many are "dead." Duking it out with zombified Presidents is sure to be hilarious, but once that's all said and done, Deadpool is going to need a new challenge.

I'm not calling for a slew of new villains to throw at the assassin (although granting him an equivalent of the Sinister Six would be pretty cool), but giving him a new (and far more intriguing) arch-nemesis would be greatly appreciated. T-Ray has been that man, but it's safe to say he's gone (for now) after the events of DEADPOOL #63. Plus, let's be honest here... he wasn't exactly all that grand. A stellar reoccurring foe to torment Wade would be a very nice change of pace for the character.

It's rare to get everything we want in a title, though I think it's fair to demand these three features in Deadpool's new book. Keep him skilled, give him solid friends, and give him worthy enemies. I don't think that's asking too much. But that's just me -- what do you really want in Deadpool series?

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. He hopes to one day have Rhino as a key chain.

#1 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm only picking this title up because Brain Posehn is doing on a signing on the first day at my LCS. I can't pass up a signed comic so yaa. lol

But if I like the title I'll continue to pick up further issues.

#2 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

You will be dissapointed. It's really a joke book..

#3 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they keep him funny, awesome, and deadly (along with the well-thoughtout [but seemingly random] schemes working) I'm in. Oh, and his regen. along with combat is a must.

Good idea to finally give him a villain he deserves.

#4 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Might just pick this up.

Even though my collection includes zero Marvel comics, a joke comic is something DC just does not have.

#5 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best-shots-review-marvel-now-deadpool-1.html Newsrama gave it 5 out 10

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (49141 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cavemold@Cavemold said:
You will be dissapointed. It's really a joke book..
That's what a Deadpool book will always be and that's perfectly fine.  It would be nice to bring back his supporting cast, give him a good villain, and make sure he's not a total fool in combat, though. 
@FatFriar_16: Thanks, and Wade's healing factor is back.
#7 Posted by Mezmero (958 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it's going to be tough to beat Daniel Way's run but I'm sure the Merc with the mouth has some story lines left in him. Personally I want to see if Deadpool's relationship with Mistress Death goes anywhere. Posehn's a real metal nerd so I have high hopes that he's going to explore that topic at some point. I think Wade's had a rough time finding any romance on Earth (probably because he loves people who try to murder him) so I hope he catches a break in Marvel Now.

#8 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Deadpool, but I never thought he was that funny. His style of humor is usually more nerd funny.

#9 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Yeah, I figured he'd just heal from the serum/whatever he injected. I'm glad they gave it back before ending the title. (But, it did make me drop his title when he lost it, that along with his useless villains)

#10 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mezmero said:

... Personally I want to see if Deadpool's relationship with Mistress Death goes anywhere...

It would be awesome to see DP vs. Thanos and in the end, they both double KO or DP is relentless (making him the victor) and Death just walks away, uninterested, anyway.

#11 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice article! I really hope to see more of these about different Marvel NOW! series in the future :)

#12 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

And I don't know, that rogues gallery you mentioned seems pretty badass to me. I have no idea how they were written before but an updated version of them would be awesome I think.

#13 Posted by LifePool (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cavemold: you're forgetting that Newsarama has the most useless opinions.

#14 Posted by Outside_85 (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

More dead and less pool :)

#15 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti: Agreed, DP's foes aint all that bad. Bring back T-Ray or Hit-Monkey, I wouldn't mind...

#16 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

In other news:

(Thanks Marvel)

#17 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read any solo Deadpool so I have high hopes for this series.

#18 Posted by k4tzm4n (49141 posts) - - Show Bio
@FatFriar_16: Yeah, the conclusion of DEADPOOL 63 implies the serum is wearing off. 

@Or35ti: Thanks!  Oh, sure some of the villains are pretty cool, but he doesn't really have one that truly stands out... at least IMHO.
#19 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I might be getting the new series. It depends on the reviews and I'll probably be dropping it when GotG starts.

#20 Posted by derf_jenkins (414 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully we can see some good stories with the silly humor.

#21 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti: ... I wouldn't mind...

Then again, you are a duck. =P

#22 Posted by The Lobster (1521 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a Deadpool written seriously. Like Rick Remender, Joe Kelly, Duane Schicantspellhisname, Gail Simone, and (even to some element) Cullen Bunn have done.

Yes he's supposed to be funny, but he's also supposed to be a tortured soul. A clown who masks his insecurities and deep trauma behind a layer of pop culture references and bad jokes.  I don't just want a series where Deadpool does whatever he wants just because "oh he's soooo crazy." Deadpool is a character and a dang good one when done right, not just a vessel to throw a bunch of jokes around. He's the outsider who wants to be accepted, he's the tortured soul who tries desperately to see the glass as half full, he's the man with a dirty reputation yet still has the kindness in him to not want to kill a child even if that child could end the earth.

That's all I ask of Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn, take writing Deadpool seriously. If you do, you can count on me buying every issue of the series you can write. I will support you till the end. Thankfully Rick Remender vouches for them, so hopefully this is indeed the case.

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (49141 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Lobster : At NYCC I recall them saying they wanted to get this out of the way before diving into "darker" material. 
#24 Posted by The Lobster (1521 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: I hope so, I always purchase a series I'm interested in for the first two or three arcs. If it fails to grasp my attention, I drop it. I am after all a broke college student. 

All I ask is that they take the task seriously. They talk about how Deadpool is being treated as a scapegoat in this first arc. A person who the governement can task with killing US presidents and if anyone says "omg he killed Lincoln!!" They can just go "Deadpools insane, he should be locked up"....yet if he succeeded and people love him for it they can also go "we hired him, it was our idea" That's a great premise, I just hope they tackle how Deadpool feels doing that. Does he accept it? Does he feel like he has something to prove? Does he not like being treated that way? Does he want all the glory for himself?

That's all I ask, make Deadpool a character, not a walking punchline.
#25 Posted by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio

how did he get his healing factor back?

#26 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

What Deadpool needs to be is a character again. Not a meme. Deadpool was best in Cable and Deadpool and earlier appearances because HE WAS A CHARACTER! He had goals, he had ups and downs, he had a supporting cast.

Now? It's "LOL, now Deadpool is doing Gangnam style dance while dressed like a french maid and is reciting the Green Lantern Oath! Get it?! Cause he's referencing other things and saying random crap, he's funny!"

I really hate when people miss what makes a character good. Deadpool wasn't some meme spouting moron. He was once a good character. Then Way ruined him.

#27 Posted by P_Biz (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bit paranoid that they'll be able to do Deadpool justice with the new series, actually. Granted, it looks like they still have some of Deadpool's humor intact, but I'm not sure if the new writers are going to have too much in the way of serious character development for the character to add onto it.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we got more character development for Deadpool in Way's Thunderbolts series coming up than we'll get in this one.

#28 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Master_Thief: It wore off (Implied in his last issue). I'm pretty sure he just healed from the serum/whatever drug it was...

#29 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster : Awesome insights. You should quick school and write books. lol --Don't take me seriously there. But, still good insight.--

They just put up a review for DP Marvel Now (1) on the main page.

#30 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatFriar_16 said:

@Or35ti: ... I wouldn't mind...

Then again, you are a duck. =P

Hey, not just a duck! HOWARD the duck! ;)

-waugh-

#31 Posted by The Lobster (1521 posts) - - Show Bio
@FatFriar_16 said:

@The Lobster : Awesome insights. You should quick school and write books. lol --Don't take me seriously there. But, still good insight.--

They just put up a review for DP Marvel Now (1) on the main page.

Funny you mention that, I know I have one good graphic novel in me somewhere. I've been working on it in bits and pieces but school keeps getting in the way. It's not easy being a student majoring in film studies and production..... and even then I have to try and get it published. It's near impossible to publish a graphic novel these days. Jeff Lemire is actually going to attend a Q&A at my school, I should ask him if he knows any good publishers who'd accept a nobody's graphic novel proposal.
#32 Posted by tomlikesfries (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

I've never read any solo Deadpool so I have high hopes for this series.

Same

#33 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca said:

What Deadpool needs to be is a character again. Not a meme. Deadpool was best in Cable and Deadpool and earlier appearances because HE WAS A CHARACTER! He had goals, he had ups and downs, he had a supporting cast.

Now? It's "LOL, now Deadpool is doing Gangnam style dance while dressed like a french maid and is reciting the Green Lantern Oath! Get it?! Cause he's referencing other things and saying random crap, he's funny!"

I really hate when people miss what makes a character good. Deadpool wasn't some meme spouting moron. He was once a good character. Then Way ruined him.

QFT

Nuff Said

#34 Posted by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you K4tz that he was at his best in Cable & Deadpool but it was because Cable was the counter-balance to the shenanigans. I'm interested to see how they are going to keep this character going in Earth-616 where their status quo and serious stories are what they try so hard to preserve. I'm all for having a laugh but I think many renditions of Deadpool come of as Marvel fan-fiction books with no real purpose. His rouge gallery is garbage because writers aren't really making an attempt to make him a real character and I don't expect it to get any better unless the direction of the character changes, the book shouldn't be 100% about what antics and nonsense they can stuff into his comics. There should be a goal or something more to his character than his personality.

#35 Posted by SadiaVicious (134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cafeterialoca said:

WOW.

THIS!

#36 Posted by RigorMortis (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark comedy, not taco jokes. This is all I ask.

#37 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't agree more. I'm certainly optimistic about this book ^_^.

#38 Posted by funnyfishman (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Deadpool but sometimes they go a little to far. In the new series there should be humor for sure but there should also be serious concepts. Murders of friends, betrayal and other dark themes, if taken seriously, wouldn't kill the character's goofy mode, it maybe even improve it.

#39 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read any DP(dc only so far),but it sounds like the only time DP should run from a fight (comedically) would be from a hulk or (the)thing,does that sound right?Just curious and very bored.

#40 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to try Deadpool for a change. because reading too much serious stuff is kinda boring.

#41 Posted by slvr4surfer (80 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm one of those people that actually enjoyed Way's run. However the new stuff looks REAAAAALLY better.

The art fits perfectly plus Brian Posehn's stand up makes me laugh and he's a big comic fan so I'm pretty sure this will work out.

TL;DR: Light hearted jokey comcs are fun!

#42 Posted by k4tzm4n (49141 posts) - - Show Bio
@chocobojam said:

I want to try Deadpool for a change. because reading too much serious stuff is kinda boring.

Well, definitely give the new issue a shot!
#43 Posted by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree fully with all three points!

#44 Posted by wilkins (4 posts) - - Show Bio

$85 an hour! Seriously I don't know why more people haven't tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And whats awesome is Im working from home so I get more time with my kids. Heres where I went, Fox92 dotcom

#45 Posted by k4tzm4n (49141 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEADPOOL: Thanks for reading!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.