Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpool Poll-see the true results

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PaperDemon

Do you prefer deadpool as Serious?

Or

Funny as ever?

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PaperDemon

I say funny because deadpool as serious is like taking away the whole parody theme from deathstroke and completely copying the idea.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

Funny,it's practically one of the main reason why he's popular and a fan favorite.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4  Edited By The Lobster

I like a good mixture of both. 

Deadpool is a character who shouldn't be a total clown, but a tragic character who hides his insecurities behind a wall of humor. When a writer makes him just the typical funny man, or the serious stone cold killer they lose an aspect of what makes Deadpool an awesome character. When he's just a clown, he can't be taken seriously and then what's the point of reading his character? When he's too serious then he's just a typical badass assassin. 

The best Deadpool writers are ones that balance his humor with his tragic inner-self. But if I had to choose between an all serious Deadpool and a all jokey Deadpool......I guess I'd take the all serious Deadpool. At least the writer is kinda taking the character seriously, then making him a walking talking punchline.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PaperDemon

@The Lobster said:

I like a good mixture of both. Deadpool is a character who shouldn't be a total clown, but a tragic character who hides his insecurities behind a wall of humor. When a writer makes him just the typical funny man, or the serious stone cold killer they lose an aspect of what makes Deadpool an awesome character. When he's just a clown, he can't be taken seriously and then what's the point of reading his character? When he's too serious then he's just a typical badass assassin. The best Deadpool writers are ones that balance his humor with his tragic inner-self. But if I had to choose between an all serious Deadpool and a all jokey Deadpool......I guess I'd take the all serious Deadpool. At least the writer is kinda taking the character seriously, then making him a walking talking punchline.

agree

ShrimpDino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ShrimpDino

I would like to have Deadpool be funny as ever

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SadiaVicious

@The Lobster said:

I like a good mixture of both. Deadpool is a character who shouldn't be a total clown, but a tragic character who hides his insecurities behind a wall of humor. When a writer makes him just the typical funny man, or the serious stone cold killer they lose an aspect of what makes Deadpool an awesome character. When he's just a clown, he can't be taken seriously and then what's the point of reading his character? When he's too serious then he's just a typical badass assassin. The best Deadpool writers are ones that balance his humor with his tragic inner-self. But if I had to choose between an all serious Deadpool and a all jokey Deadpool......I guess I'd take the all serious Deadpool. At least the writer is kinda taking the character seriously, then making him a walking talking punchline.

THIS

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@The Lobster said:

Agreed, somewhere in between.

Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Retro_Metro

Some arcs I would prefer a serious Deadpool(When he's around his team in the 616 Universe) and in the other arcs(like his own book,or other series/other universes) he acts goofy while still having that lovable "mercenary" around his friends.

Liara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Liara

mostly funny but he should also have his serious moments.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By htb106

Funny, it's what seperates him from characters like Deathstroke.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TDK_1997

A mixture of both.

Scheiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Scheiner

It's been said there is a thin line between tragedy and comedy. Deadpool should walk that line.

evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evodmasters

I agree with the lobster on how he should be characterized.

*Warning I am getting on my soapbox*

What i would really like to see in a Deadpool story line is him having deep moral dilemmas, facing real consequences for his actions, and/or making a noticeable impact in the Marvel universe with his actions. For the past few years, every single Deadpool story has had little impact on the Marvel Universe. All of the mini series and on goings will have no impact on the mythos of Deadpool and there will be no lessons learned for any of his actions. It just feels like the past 3-4 years were a pointless footnote in the Marvel Universe. Except for what he does in X-Force, that is the exception that proves the rule.

I am not saying to make him murder a bunch of kids and explore his feelings afterwards. What I am saying that he needs to be a human at some point and notice that the world does not revolve around him. That the comedic wall should come down every once in a while and he should face reality. Show him the families that he has deprived of fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters. Let him have more to his character than being a sentient blender of death and one liners. There is a interesting and conflicted character under all the violence and funny, let him out. I miss him.

I am done now.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#15  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

definitely FUnny Pool!

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By SpidermanWins

Funny, that's what sets him apart from other comic book mercs and assassins: his goofy outlandish behavior and insane personality.

LipstickZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LipstickZombie

I think a good mixture of both. When writing anything, you can't lean too far to one side. Deadpool needs to be both funny and serious.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PaperDemon

@htb106 said:

Funny, it's what seperates him from characters like Deathstroke.

yup

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By tomlikesfries

@The Lobster said:

Deadpool is a character who shouldn't be a total clown, but a tragic character who hides his insecurities behind a wall of humor. When a writer makes him just the typical funny man, or the serious stone cold killer they lose an aspect of what makes Deadpool an awesome character. When he's just a clown, he can't be taken seriously and then what's the point of reading his character? When he's too serious then he's just a typical badass assassin.

The best Deadpool writers are ones that balance his humor with his tragic inner-self. But if I had to choose between an all serious Deadpool and a all jokey Deadpool......I guess I'd take the all serious Deadpool. At least the writer is kinda taking the character seriously, then making him a walking talking punchline.

Agree on every point. Remender can write a pretty good Deadpool, while the writers of the new Marvel NOW! series just make him a complete clown.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A very dark and acid movie with a serious tone, but with Deadpool being damn funny all the movie.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By aaunderoath

EVERY book is serious, reading funny deadpool is my favorite becuase it's an awesome change of pace from the constant edgy, gritty, cliffhanger-y books out there

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The Lobster
    @tomlikesfries said:

@The Lobster said:

Agree on every point. Remender can write a pretty good Deadpool, while the writers of the new Marvel NOW! series just make him a complete clown.

I'm going to hold out till I pass judgement on Brian and Gerry in the new series. Gerry has stated that the next arc after the zombie president one is going to be a lot more darker in tone and after reading issue 3, I kinda believe him. They actually tackled Deadpool as a character for a brief moment, and whatever Strange whispered to Deadpool probably means big things are going to happen to him as a character. 

So far it's been all jokes and giggles, very funny ones granted, and the series is entertaining to say the least. I'll give them two or three arcs, if Deadpool isn't tackled as a character by then, than I'll complain.

After all, Joe Kelly didn't tackle Deadpool as a character till issue 5 with the debate on whether he should kill Killebrew or not, and Rick Remender didn't tackle Deadpool as a charcter till issue 5 and 7 after the struggle with being an accessory to killing a child and almost never tackled him as a character again till issue 28 where that arc started to come full circle. 

So I'll give them a few more arcs, till I pass judgement.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The Lobster
    @aaunderoath said:

EVERY book is serious, reading funny deadpool is my favorite becuase it's an awesome change of pace from the constant edgy, gritty, cliffhanger-y books out there

Agreed, but the thing that makes Deadpool an awesome character is his abilitie to be funny even when he's being serious. 

I always use the part in Joe Kelly's run where Deadpool goes into a long rant about how he's like the squirrel in that old Chuck Jones cartoon. How he tries and tries to crack that nut and when it finally does crack it only reveals another nut inside. It's a hilarious rant, but it also speaks volumes of who he is as a character. So many writers just have him spouting off jokes and never go into how tragic of a character he really is. 

That's what I like, a Deadpool who is funny but also a character and not just a vessel for writers to be funny.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.