Deadpool is not insane.

#1 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

He's actually one of the very few characters in the universe who is completely sane. He is almost alone in not suffering from the delusion that he isn't a comic character, and the reason he acts the way he does is that he has a keen understanding of the way comics work.

Or alternately, he's so insane he loops all the way back to being sane.

Both Deadpool and T Ray are Wade Wilson

Mercedes married a guy named Wade Wilson. Wilson is not such an uncommon name, and neither is Wade. The Wade Wilson she married became T Ray. The name of man saved from the river was not Jack. He was, however, a mercenary. The events T Ray recalled are simply a big misunderstanding, and after he accidentally killed Mercedes, Deadpool went a bit crazy (not insane) and his memor defected so he would think he was Mercedes's husband.

#2 Posted by NX (307 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't remember much of deadpool,but i'm sure he wasnt insane. he was bad as i remember.
#3 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3491 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this the second time you've posted this today?

#4 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Rabbit_May_Cry (303 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi: The endin' part jea...the topic...not so much.

#6 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

His sanity fluctuates, in uncanny x-force he's crazy but makes sense sort of and has morals surprisingly, it's a delicate balance they toy with

X-force deadpool is my only experience with him

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

He's as sane as the writers want him to be. That's one of the problems with being in so many titles at the same time; inconsistencies in depictions.

#8 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabahNurX: @xerox_kitty:That why it helps the fact he knows he is in a comic book, he just let writter do thing like that, he is not insane, he is just trolling people, that also the reason why Barackapool is real, Deadpool was trolling his fans.

#9 Posted by AmazingSpidey_707 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Im confused.

#10 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmazingSpidey_707 It only means you are sane.

#11 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmazingSpidey_707 said:

Im confused.

Deadpool is happy of that.

#12 Posted by The Lobster (1485 posts) - - Show Bio

You're right saying Deadpool isn't insane.....you're wrong saying that the fact he knows he's in a comic book means he isn't insane. Just because you know something other people don't know, doesn't make you any more or less sane.  

Going by Joe Kelly's run (cause that's how Deadpool is SUPPOSED to be written) Deadpool is a completely rational thinking human being, he doesn't hear voices, he doesn't suffer hallucinations, he's normal. People think he's crazy because of his extreme ADHD which is why people are so easily annoyed by him.

#13 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

If going by the medical definition, insanity would be based in ones inability to grasp static reality, ei: whats really going on around them.

a chair to the sane person:

- a chair

a chair to the insane person:

- There haven't been chairs on Mars in over ten years since the mutant overlords banished them for treason. That's clearly a cabbage. What are you insane?

Deadpool is written off in on, within sequences as well to lose his perception of static reality and replace it with a delusion, then return to static reality and seem to grasp again what everything around him really is. At best one could reason he suffers from temporary bouts of insanity.

As far as knowing he's a comic character that doesn't help his case anymore than it did She-Hulk. By that, he lives in a world (2 dimensional comic book) and by not conforming to the standard of thought in his world he is insane. Or, by believing he is a comic character, he is insane by our worlds standards, since from our worlds standpoint, that can't be physically possible, so in reality he is a person, likely a comic book reader who is affixed on the character who is actually of his own imaginations design (and is partly either way), or a pre-written one and placing himself in a delusional comic book reality while remaining blinded to the real one around him. Either way.

#14 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmazingSpidey_707 said:

Im confused.

that makes 2 of us.never understood how the deadpool personalities fused with T-ray proving that he was deadpool? but they are both wade? i dunno

#15 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster said:

You're right saying Deadpool isn't insane.....you're wrong saying that the fact he knows he's in a comic book means he isn't insane. Just because you know something other people don't know, doesn't make you any more or less sane. Going by Joe Kelly's run (cause that's how Deadpool is SUPPOSED to be written) Deadpool is a completely rational thinking human being, he doesn't hear voices, he doesn't suffer hallucinations, he's normal. People think he's crazy because of his extreme ADHD which is why people are so easily annoyed by him.

The guy decide to live in reallity, the rest decide to lie and belive they dont live in a comic book.

@CATPANEXE said:

If going by the medical definition, insanity would be based in ones inability to grasp static reality, ei: whats really going on around them.

a chair to the sane person:

- a chair

a chair to the insane person:

- There haven't been chairs on Mars in over ten years since the mutant overlords banished them for treason. That's clearly a cabbage. What are you insane?

Deadpool is written off in on, within sequences as well to lose his perception of static reality and replace it with a delusion, then return to static reality and seem to grasp again what everything around him really is. At best one could reason he suffers from temporary bouts of insanity.

As far as knowing he's a comic character that doesn't help his case anymore than it did She-Hulk. By that, he lives in a world (2 dimensional comic book) and by not conforming to the standard of thought in his world he is insane. Or, by believing he is a comic character, he is insane by our worlds standards, since from our worlds standpoint, that can't be physically possible, so in reality he is a person, likely a comic book reader who is affixed on the character who is actually of his own imaginations design (and is partly either way), or a pre-written one and placing himself in a delusional comic book reality while remaining blinded to the real one around him. Either way.

Most of insane persons, have logic behind everything they said, is very very weird to find some one, that dont have a logic behind everything they said, that why many people belive them, wosrt if they were for some weird coincidence rigth.

So Deadpool is Joe Quesada?

#16 Posted by SinSyndicate (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster : Kelly's run definitely doesn't prove that he's sane. Sane people don't have a "Box" in their home and kidnap blind, homeless women. Whether you want to call that "serious issues" or insanity, Deadpool is far from normal and definitely not just a guy with ADHD.

#17 Posted by The Lobster (1485 posts) - - Show Bio
@SinSyndicate said:

@The Lobster : Kelly's run definitely doesn't prove that he's sane. Sane people don't have a "Box" in their home and kidnap blind, homeless women. Whether you want to call that "serious issues" or insanity, Deadpool is far from normal and definitely not just a guy with ADHD.

Deadpool putting Blind Al in the box doesn't make him insane either. Deadpool put Blind Al in the box because he needed to take out his frustrations on other people. He saw an old woman with spirit that he could crush if he ever got pissed off at the world. It's no different then when a dude beats his wife up for spilling a carton of milk, does that make the dude insane? No it just means he doesn't know any better (Probably because he was beat up by his father for something similar). Deadpool learned from his mistake, he learned that taking your frustrations out on other people is wrong, that makes him rational which makes him not insane.
#18 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster said

Deadpool putting Blind Al in the box doesn't make him insane either. Deadpool put Blind Al in the box because he needed to take out his frustrations on other people. He saw an old woman with spirit that he could crush if he ever got pissed off at the world.

Dude, how many sane people do you know kidnaped and tortured a blind and old woman?

Insanity means the lack of sanity, which referees to the absence of a good sense, a mind retained into disorder. Deadpool was never sane, he had some moments of sanity, such as when he freed Blind Al, but most of the times he didn’t act of thought in a normal and healthy state.

But his insanity developed to craziness. He’s listening to voices, having delusions, can’t make sense out of stuff anymore. What we have here is man that slowly but surely is decaying into his own self. We may like it or not, but this was well planned by the marvel folks.

If you get Wade’s flashback’s, his first appearances as Deadpool and the hero we see today, clearly you can see a man falling deeper into his own senseless world. Some of us miss the old Deadpool, and much more are unhappy with the way the character is developing, but the writers didn’t pop this out of nowhere, this was well worked throughout the years.

#19 Posted by FatBono (4 posts) - - Show Bio

He just acts as if he is insante. He embraces the sterotype.

#20 Posted by The Lobster (1485 posts) - - Show Bio
@ranvage said:

@The Lobster said

Deadpool putting Blind Al in the box doesn't make him insane either. Deadpool put Blind Al in the box because he needed to take out his frustrations on other people. He saw an old woman with spirit that he could crush if he ever got pissed off at the world.

Dude, how many sane people do you know kidnaped and tortured a blind and old woman?

Insanity means the lack of sanity, which referees to the absence of a good sense, a mind retained into disorder. Deadpool was never sane, he had some moments of sanity, such as when he freed Blind Al, but most of the times he didn’t act of thought in a normal and healthy state.

But his insanity developed to craziness. He’s listening to voices, having delusions, can’t make sense out of stuff anymore. What we have here is man that slowly but surely is decaying into his own self. We may like it or not, but this was well planned by the marvel folks.

If you get Wade’s flashback’s, his first appearances as Deadpool and the hero we see today, clearly you can see a man falling deeper into his own senseless world. Some of us miss the old Deadpool, and much more are unhappy with the way the character is developing, but the writers didn’t pop this out of nowhere, this was well worked throughout the years.

My college psychology book describes Insanity as, a spectrum of behaviors characterized by certain abnormal mental or behavioral patterns. This includes abnormal patterns like Schizophrenia and Psychotic disorders like hallucinations and Delusions. What you're describing is not insanity which is a mental disorder, you're describing "crazy" which means to act out of the norm......Crazy doesn't exist, crazy is just a behaviour deemed by society as unacceptable.  If I was to walk out of my dorm in my underwear and order a box of chocolates because I like chocolate and like to walk around in my underwear, would that make me insane? No, would that make me crazy? Well to other people sure, cause society says I should wear clothes in public. Crazy and Insanity aren't the same thing.

Now I suppose you could say that he's delusional in the fact that he thinks torturing an old woman when she steps out of line is a good thing, but if that's the case then I supposed people who spank their children for doing something bad are also insane, the only difference is Deadpool's way of spanking is more extreme. Is Deadpool crazy? sure, is Deadpool insane? Absolutely not.
#21 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster since you have a phycology book to back yourself up, I guess my definition was inaccurate. Living and learning, no shame on that.

What I’m trying to say, and some of the other folks as well, is Deadpool was never on his right mind. Call him crazy, insane, nuts, the nomenclature doesn’t matter. His state got worse throughout the years, but he never was “normal” to begin with. Don’t you think?

Just for my peace of mind, what does your book say about sanity?

#22 Posted by Death_From_Below (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I never could see anything strange in deadpool. I'd have to read more on them through.
#23 Posted by The Lobster (1485 posts) - - Show Bio
@ranvage: Deadpool may not be of his right mind, and yes his state has gotten worse over the years. Still I didn't think of him as crazy till Daniel way came along and screwed it all up. 

Sanity - A healthy mind with little to no abnormal mental or behavior deficiencies and an ability to think rationally.
#24 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster we all have different interpratations, we may be reading the same thing, but we see it differently.

I can see a pathological beahavior since his first appearance, but that's me.

Daniel did take it to a next extreme step, but I believe it would happen sooner or later, and it didn't feel like it was too forced to me.

@Death_From_Below you should do that. Not because of the sanity matter, but only to enjoy once again the thrill from DP comics.

#25 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@ranvage: @The Lobster : The guy have mental problems that is the truth, but if every person that haves mental problems is insane, it means everybody is insane, since everybody have mental problems at some level.

No one could be "sane", if everybody where "sane" everybody would act the same way.

Also Deadpool knows he is in a comic and everybody thinks he is nuts, so he decide to act like if he was insane, is a trap, he does this so people underrated him and could beat the other guys or have a bigger chance.

Also being insane, it always means the guy cant live with the rest of people, the guy is getting dangerous becuase he cant control himself, Deadpool in fact can control himself, so for definition he is a sane person.

The guy have problems, but people want to belive he is insane, becuase it makes more easy to understand him.

#26 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000 he is nuttier than the rest of us.

I'm not quite sure about your conspiracy theories, but I can't see how or when DP decided to act insane because he is in a comic.

Even thou he breaks the fourth wall, other characters, like she-hulk, does the same and such theories were never displayed about them.

#27 Posted by XLR87T3 (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

If Deadpool was serious all the time, than I think he would become far more popular than he is today.

#28 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I believe Deadpool became so popular because of his new overrated funny side.

When Deadpool was a badass, few were his faithful fans.

I like the old Wade better, but I truly believe many would dislike if he went back to his old self.

#29 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@ranvage said:

Actually, I believe Deadpool became so popular because of his new overrated funny side.

When Deadpool was a badass, few were his faithful fans.

I like the old Wade better, but I truly believe many would dislike if he went back to his old self.

Evidence that Deadpool is not insane, his fans are.

@ranvage: She Hulk is in fact insane, she talks with the air, she dont know she is a comic book character.

Deadpool and The Joker have show the fact they know they are in a comic book, heck even Heaths Joker look to have an idea he was in a movie, you could notice at the end he says, oh this familiar places(or something like that), what makes sense, since the end is pretty much like Batman 89 and hundreds of comics, where the Joker goes into a building to face Batman.

People want to belive they are insane, becuase it means, the other comic book characters are "sane".

#30 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: She hulk walked through some of her own comic book pages. She knows she's a character, alright.

#31 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@ranvage said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: She hulk walked through some of her own comic book pages. She knows she's a character, alright.

So Deadpool is isane and she is not, even when you know thta being a fictional character means your moral actions dont care that much.

For me she is more insane that Deadpool, who in fact does the wrong thing becuase he knows uit dont matter, because the writter will forget them or could actually never happen.

His actions show he knows he is in a comic book and his actions are based under that fact.

#32 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Well friend, I believe the writers never got into this matter much as we have.

They just don't care if he does or doesn't knows he's a comic character. If he is or he's insane.

In the end it doesn't matter, as long the writers don't care.

#33 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9547 posts) - - Show Bio

@ranvage said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: Well friend, I believe the writers never got into this matter much as we have.

They just don't care if he does or doesn't knows he's a comic character. If he is or he's insane.

In the end it doesn't matter, as long the writers don't care.

Writters that care do, most of writter dont care what they do and that explain the magic changes of characters.

Also he knows he is a comic book character, the reason why many writter think he is "insane" is for the fact they find hard to writte a character that knows everything he does, is becuase a writter is making him doing those things.

#34 Posted by ranvage (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: That's your opinion and it seems you'll stick with it.

Since we don't know any writers, at least me, all we have are assumptions.

So any of us could be right or wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.