Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpool: Good orBad?

Spotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Spotter

I've always thought of Deadpool as the neutral type, and even though he's totally insanely awesome, I'm starting to have second thoughts... 

ADayWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ADayWalker

Deadpool is waaaay over-used...It takes away from his early '90's seriousness when he's poppin off corny lines before he kills or gets a limb chopped off... 

Imagine watchin a movie with a guy like DP, he would be cool to look at (with the ol ninja-Spidey thing going on) but it would be like listening to Rapheal from the Turtles... 

Just look at the corny-a** line above.
    Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DEADPOOL

He's kinda neutral. Basically a good guy that does bad things: he gets paid by bad people (or good people, usually bad) to do bad things to other bad people, but if a superhero comes along he'll try to help... unless he was paid to fight said superhero, but he'd have to be convinced that it's somehow a good thing.

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mokey
    @ADayWalker:
    I like his corny lines, their spontanity always makes me chuckle.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He's what they call an Anti-hero.His agenda is self-serving.

Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Daniel Way got it exactly right  (coming from me that's saying something because I'm NOT a Way fan).

Deadpool doesn't want to be good. He wants people to love him for being good. There's a difference.

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    "Daniel Way got it exactly right  (coming from me that's saying something because I'm NOT a Way fan).  Deadpool doesn't want to be good. He wants people to love him for being good. There's a difference."

Well I think he's a good person that does bad things, like established in Joe Kellys run... he just doesn't know how to be a hero. But currently he wants people to like him and right now he thinks the easiest way for that to happen is if he's a hero, because heroes are ultra celebrities (a good reason to be a hero, I'd say). 
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

id say he is good.  he wants to be a hero

ADayWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ADayWalker

I mean, I don't hate him but he's (to me) supposed to be stealth and, onewould think, a little more quiet. 

I just think HE shouldnt be the comic relief...no pun intended... 

Look at him! Just by looks alone he has the appearence of someone who jwould just get in, and get out!....uh,like he was in the EARLY 90's 

Has everyone forgotten how serious and rare his appearances used to be!? But when he was on the scene, he was messing peeps up... 

Now, he just remind me of Jar Jar Binks or some sh*t!
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @ADayWalker said:
    " I mean, I don't hate him but he's (to me) supposed to be stealth and, onewould think, a little more quiet.  I just think HE shouldnt be the comic relief...no pun intended...  Look at him! Just by looks alone he has the appearence of someone who jwould just get in, and get out!....uh,like he was in the EARLY 90's  Has everyone forgotten how serious and rare his appearances used to be!? But when he was on the scene, he was messing peeps up...  Now, he just remind me of Jar Jar Binks or some sh*t! "
    The irony is that he's still funny. Even some of Way's stuff had made me LOL. This is one of my favorite panels, though Deadpool's not the one talking.

No Caption Provided
    ADayWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ADayWalker

It's a good idea for ANYONE else to be the "funny guy" in comics...I just think it's a waste on a character who has a bada** costume and some bada** skills... 

MARVEL already has Slapstick and Impossible Man (excluding waaay too many other cornballs). Let them have the fumbles and the one-liners! ahaha
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ADayWalker said:
    " It's a good idea for ANYONE else to be the "funny guy" in comics...I just think it's a waste on a character who has a bada** costume and some bada** skills...  MARVEL already has Slapstick and Impossible Man (excluding waaay too many other cornballs). Let them have the fumbles and the one-liners! ahaha "
    Deadpool is nothing like the characters you just named.Unlike them he wasn't created for the purpose of being a joke character and his book is actually about more than jokes.It's not good IMO but it's not all about being funny.
    darkstorm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13  Edited By darkstorm1
    @Vance Astro:
    i think the current Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth shines what he is about.
    ADayWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ADayWalker
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @ADayWalker said:
    " It's a good idea for ANYONE else to be the "funny guy" in comics...I just think it's a waste on a character who has a bada** costume and some bada** skills...  MARVEL already has Slapstick and Impossible Man (excluding waaay too many other cornballs). Let them have the fumbles and the one-liners! ahaha "
    Deadpool is nothing like the characters you just named.Unlike them he wasn't created for the purpose of being a joke character and his book is actually about more than jokes.It's not good IMO but it's not all about being funny. "

I know I know! Damn Vance, I feel like I've been fishin for ya and finally I got one of your technical bites! Muchas gracias hermano! 

You're right, absolutely nothing like them...but you didnt say he wasnt corny, so I didn't fail. And believe me, I want to like DP, but it's hard when I see a Hulkpool and some DP beeyatch with blonde hair and sh*t... 

I'm just saying THERE is or WAS a difference in the DP we see (unfortunatley) now and the one that I remember Jim Lee stylin' out back in the 90's...that's all...I just wish he was cooler...like less talking, more of a quiet (like he used to be) killer...he WOULD be like slapstick if every thing out of his mouth other than blood is a Dennis Leary-esque come back..
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ADayWalker said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @ADayWalker said:
    Deadpool is nothing like the characters you just named.Unlike them he wasn't created for the purpose of being a joke character and his book is actually about more than jokes.It's not good IMO but it's not all about being funny. "
    I know I know! Damn Vance, I feel like I've been fishin for ya and finally I got one of your technical bites! Muchas gracias hermano!  You're right, absolutely nothing like them...but you didnt say he wasnt corny, so I didn't fail. And believe me, I want to like DP, but it's hard when I see a Hulkpool and some DP beeyatch with blonde hair and sh*t...  I'm just saying THERE is or WAS a difference in the DP we see (unfortunatley) now and the one that I remember Jim Lee stylin' out back in the 90's...that's all...I just wish he was cooler...like less talking, more of a quiet (like he used to be) killer...he WOULD be like slapstick if every thing out of his mouth other than blood is a Dennis Leary-esque come back.. "
    Deadpool is the character I want to like but can't.He's no funny..I agree.What makes me not like him though his sheer lack of importance.Nothing he does matters.If you go back and erase Deadpool from every storyline he was apart of..almost nothing would be different.They need to take him back to the way he was when he was an X-Force villain.That's when I wanted to see Deadpool.He's funny sometimes but it's usually the things he does that are funny like when he uppercutted Kitty Pryde.What Marvel needs to do is cancel the 5-6 miniseries or whatever it is and just do something worthwhile with the character.I'm sick of reading books where he does nothing but beat up low level villains and crack jokes. 

@darkstorm1 said:
    " @Vance Astro: i think the current Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth shines what he is about. "
    The thing is though he's being shown in so many books now and all the interpretations are slightly different.When he appeared in Thunderbolts..he was shown skillful but almost everything he did had to lead to a punchline..like he could just be a mercenary in a fight with a whole team he was still trying to make light of it.It gets annoying after a while.Spider-Man cracks jokes but he definitely gets serious when he needs to.
    ADayWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ADayWalker

@Vance Astro:
    That's really what I'm trying to say I guess...Yes, he is everywhere and does really nothing too (if at all) important...I like that line. 

Yes, now you're feeling me. Back in the day when he and the X-Force were tom and jerrying it...THAT was the dude to beat! 

He was smoothe, didnt seem forceful and pretty much his "immortality" wasn't billboarded like it is now...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 123422
    @DEADPOOL said:
    " @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    "Daniel Way got it exactly right  (coming from me that's saying something because I'm NOT a Way fan).  Deadpool doesn't want to be good. He wants people to love him for being good. There's a difference."
    Well I think he's a good person that does bad things, like established in Joe Kellys run... he just doesn't know how to be a hero. But currently he wants people to like him and right now he thinks the easiest way for that to happen is if he's a hero, because heroes are ultra celebrities (a good reason to be a hero, I'd say).  "
    That's one way to put it alright
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @ADayWalker said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @ADayWalker said:
    I know I know! Damn Vance, I feel like I've been fishin for ya and finally I got one of your technical bites! Muchas gracias hermano!  You're right, absolutely nothing like them...but you didnt say he wasnt corny, so I didn't fail. And believe me, I want to like DP, but it's hard when I see a Hulkpool and some DP beeyatch with blonde hair and sh*t...  I'm just saying THERE is or WAS a difference in the DP we see (unfortunatley) now and the one that I remember Jim Lee stylin' out back in the 90's...that's all...I just wish he was cooler...like less talking, more of a quiet (like he used to be) killer...he WOULD be like slapstick if every thing out of his mouth other than blood is a Dennis Leary-esque come back.. "
    Deadpool is the character I want to like but can't.He's no funny..I agree.What makes me not like him though his sheer lack of importance.Nothing he does matters.If you go back and erase Deadpool from every storyline he was apart of..almost nothing would be different.They need to take him back to the way he was when he was an X-Force villain.That's when I wanted to see Deadpool.He's funny sometimes but it's usually the things he does that are funny like when he uppercutted Kitty Pryde.What Marvel needs to do is cancel the 5-6 miniseries or whatever it is and just do something worthwhile with the character.I'm sick of reading books where he does nothing but beat up low level villains and crack jokes. 

@darkstorm1 said:
    " @Vance Astro: i think the current Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth shines what he is about. "
    The thing is though he's being shown in so many books now and all the interpretations are slightly different.When he appeared in Thunderbolts..he was shown skillful but almost everything he did had to lead to a punchline..like he could just be a mercenary in a fight with a whole team he was still trying to make light of it.It gets annoying after a while.Spider-Man cracks jokes but he definitely gets serious when he needs to. "

Well I do have to agree with most of your sentiments, however I do find Deadpool's chatter to be humorous (to each their own). Originally, and still for the most part, his stories aren't about making an impact in the Marvel universe like someone like Captain America or Spider-Man (despite how much as I wish), his stories are about self-growth.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DEADPOOL said:
     his stories aren't about making an impact in the Marvel universe like someone like Captain America or Spider-Man (despite how much as I wish), his stories are about self-growth. "
    That's what pisses me off.He's all over the Marvel U yet he almost never does anything significant.
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @DEADPOOL said:
     his stories aren't about making an impact in the Marvel universe like someone like Captain America or Spider-Man (despite how much as I wish), his stories are about self-growth. "
    That's what pisses me off.He's all over the Marvel U yet he almost never does anything significant. "

Yeah, hopefully that changes soon.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DEADPOOL said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @DEADPOOL said:
    That's what pisses me off.He's all over the Marvel U yet he almost never does anything significant. "
    Yeah, hopefully that changes soon. "
    Maybe the Heroic Age will mean changes for alot of characters.
    Delta Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Delta Red

I always liked him as a villain, and never was a fan of the trying-to-be-good arcs.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Delta Red said:
    " I always liked him as a villain, and never was a fan of the trying-to-be-good arcs. "
    He never was a villain. He started neutral, and then got to be a wannabe-hero.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Delta Red said:
    " I always liked him as a villain, and never was a fan of the trying-to-be-good arcs. "
    He never was a villain. He started neutral, and then got to be a wannabe-hero. "
    He was a villain.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Delta Red said:
    He never was a villain. He started neutral, and then got to be a wannabe-hero. "
    He was a villain. "
    Oh wait, yeah you're right. My bad.
    Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You take away Deadpools personality then he would just be a shallow ninja 90s character. Which is just moronic.

Deadpool is who he is because of his personality. Deadpool is one of the most unique personalities in comics today because of his personality. You want him being stealthy and by the book? WTF? That is instantly taking away the appeal of Deadpool. His quirky, sorta sardonic/fanboy style of humour is what makes him relatable.

He is a clown on the outside, but inside he is crying. It shows a real amount of ignorance to think he just throws out the wise cracks for no reason. If you knew anything about the character you would know his humour and craziness is a defense mechanism. He is a manic depressive who hates himself. He acts a fool to fool others and more importantly... himself. On very rare moments of lucidity he will confront himself and look in the mirror. But it pains him so much he rarely does it.

He isn't as crazy as he makes out. It is a facade, he uses it to excuse his douchey behaviour. He uses his humour to hide what he really is, a monster who enjoys killing people. But he doesn't want to enjoy killing people, he wants to change. But fighting against your very nature and winning is easier said than done.

And i mean, if you don't find a Rob Liefeld creation taking the piss out of Rob Liefeld funny, you need to remove the bug from your ass.

And another thing, judging characters by their importance and powers is just ridiculous. So a character can only be good if he is important to his whole universe? A character can only be good if he has cool powers? That's the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

Hal Jordan for instance. If you judge him by his importance to the DCU and his powers alone, he may seem awesome. But really, personality wise, Hal Jordan is a cardboard cutout cookie cutter superhero with no unique personality traits.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @the ace of knaves said:
    " You take away Deadpools personality then he would just be a shallow ninja 90s character. Which is just moronic.  Deadpool is who he is because of his personality. Deadpool is one of the most unique personalities in comics today because of his personality. You want him being stealthy and by the book? WTF? That is instantly taking away the appeal of Deadpool. His quirky, sorta sardonic/fanboy style of humour is what makes him relatable. He is a clown on the outside, but inside he is crying. It shows a real amount of ignorance to think he just throws out the wise cracks for no reason. If you knew anything about the character you would know his humour and craziness is a defense mechanism. He is a manic depressive who hates himself. He acts a fool to fool others and more importantly... himself. On very rare moments of lucidity he will confront himself and look in the mirror. But it pains him so much he rarely does it. He isn't as crazy as he makes out. It is a facade, he uses it to excuse his douchey behaviour. He uses his humour to hide what he really is, a monster who enjoys killing people. But he doesn't want to enjoy killing people, he wants to change. But fighting against your very nature and winning is easier said than done.  And i mean, if you don't find a Rob Liefeld creation taking the piss out of Rob Liefeld funny, you need to remove the bug from your ass.  And another thing, judging characters by their importance and powers is just ridiculous. So a character can only be good if he is important to his whole universe? A character can only be good if he has cool powers? That's the most retarded thing i've ever heard.  Hal Jordan for instance. If you judge him by his importance to the DCU and his powers alone, he may seem awesome. But really, personality wise, Hal Jordan is a cardboard cutout cookie cutter superhero with no unique personality traits. "
    There is nothing wrong with characters having a personality.All characters have it,however alot of people who DON'T like Deadpool his personality is one of the reasons.His personality is comedy based and If i don't find him funny than obviously i'm not going to like the book.I'm a fan of violence and gore but he even makes that seem cheesy.I don't know who said a character can only be good if they have cool powers but I do believe powers is a big part of the reason that people pick their favorite heroes.Obviously personality plays a part but it comes second to a characters style and design.Judging a character by their importance isn't ridiculous.I feel that to keep putting a character in comics to make him popular and the end result is to not have furthered his storyline or added anything to the character it becomes a gimmick.They are preying on people's tendency to become more familiar and start liking things that they ALWAYS see.That's ridiculous.
    Avatar image for the_drunken_master
    the drunken master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's a bit of a psycho and sometimes kills people for no apparent reason but i like him, i like the way he is a bit random and cracks jokes so bad you still laugh so he is kind of a likable character in my opinion

No Caption Provided

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RonSiconolfi

deadpool is neither --just a man who cares about money--hes an assasin  
    he will kill who hes paid to kill  

but way is currently making him lean toward the good guy side 

way also had deadpool get his ass kicked by a hit monkey....go figure
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @RonSiconolfi said:
    " deadpool is neither --just a man who cares about money--hes an assasin  he will kill who hes paid to kill   but way is currently making him lean toward the good guy side  way also had deadpool get his ass kicked by a hit monkey....go figure "
    Daniel Way is a terrible writer.He couldn't write Wolverine and he can't write Deadpool either.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By DH69

deadpool is chaotic nuetral more or less.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.