Daniel Way vs Victor Gischler Whose the Better Deadpool Writer?

Posted by The Lobster (1507 posts) - - Show Bio

Nate of Deadpool and Friends .....

So now I want to ask all your Comicvine users.....who's the better writer when it comes to Deadpool?

Also NOBODY can vote for any other writer, just Daniel Way or Victor Gischler. So I don't want some smart ass answering "Joe Kelly", we all know he rocks but this topic is just for the the two writers.  Also I would rather you guys give a reason WHY you like the writer you picked over the other writer, this is meant for both a tally and for both debating and you can't start a debate by saying "I like ________, because he's just better"

I vote for Victor Gischler, mainly because the way he writes Deadpool is more close to the original Joe Kelly style and his humor is in someways similar to both Joe Kelly and Gail Simone. Way however isn't all the funny, and I rarely ever laugh throughout his series (maybe the odd chuckle every now and then) . Also Daniel Way writes for the moment, so basically if he has a joke he wants to use "Sinking a submarine, or trying to shoot with his feet" he'll make Deadpool do it and look like an idiot which means he doesn't care about staying true to the character....with Victor he's at least staying true to the character.
#1 Posted by 123422 (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Gischler better, usually better jokes & the similarity to Kelly's work
But Way is pretty good too

#2 Posted by Icon (2056 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Gischler's DP and I think his characterization in MWAM is more consistent with earlier Pool. 

#3 Posted by jamesewelch (616 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed with others. I prefer Gischler's MWAM over the normal series. 

I haven't much liked DP: Team-Up, Prelude to Deadpool Corps, or Deadpool Corps. I picked up all of the Preludes. I get MWAM and normal DP issues each month. I haven't purchased any of the Team-Ups or Deadpool Corps issues so far.

#4 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Way was pretty good but with the recent story arc ehhhh

#5 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

Man that guy dressed as Deadpool sure made a good point!

#6 Posted by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Gischler. Like someone else said his humour and attitude reminds me of old school Deadpool.

But the latest Way issue, 22 was thoroughly enjoyable. The best Way issue for a long, long time thats for sure. Maybe he was woken up to the criticism.

#7 Posted by Icon (2056 posts) - - Show Bio
@the ace of knaves said:
" I prefer Gischler. Like someone else said his humour and attitude reminds me of old school Deadpool.  But the latest Way issue, 22 was thoroughly enjoyable. The best Way issue for a long, long time thats for sure. Maybe he was woken up to the criticism. "
Agreed, and one would hope he has heard. Frankly, my biggest problem with him is inconsistency. 
#8 Posted by foresthouse (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Gischler by about a mile and a half. Way is terribly inconsistent, and just plain not funny a lot of the time. Whereas Gischler really "gets" Deadpool without making his call-backs to the old stuff into re-hashing or old news.

#9 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10269 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"Man that guy dressed as Deadpool sure made a good point! "

Wait the guy on those video is not Deadpool? 
What i could belive now?
#10 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Way doesn't know what he's doing....his whole series has been pointless

Gischler wasn't perfect but he's far better then Way

#11 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Gischler's Merc with a Mouth series. Sure it had it's faults, but it was very enjoyable to read. His Prelude to Deadpool Corps issues were okay, with some of them pretty good. Deadpool Corps' current story arc.. Meh I don't know, everything just seems to be incredibly slow-paced and not going anywhere. Hopefully the ending of this arc and the next story arc are better. Though I believe a big problem is the fact that you have 5 Deadpool characters interacting. You actually need a more Cable & Deadpool kind of dynamic. Deadpool needs at least 1 more serious person to bounce off on.

Daniel Way's Deadpool series started off pretty good with the skrull invasion stuff. The zombie-esque stuff was okay, but not great. I loved the Bullseye and Tiger Shark stories. But everything's been kind of going down-hill from there. 

And then there's the fact that Gischler's overall presentation of Deadpool does indeed stay more true to the previous ( original ) Deadpool character we've received from Joe Kelly. Daniel Way's Deadpool 's sometimes equally enjoyable, but not consistent.

So yeah if I have to choose; I'd go with Gischler. Even though I believe he really has to step things up a bit for Deadpool Corps.

#12 Posted by wooodude1 (109 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy: thats not cool saying that the deadpool guy made a good point when you are that deadpool guy.
#13 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio
@wooodude1:
congrats, you got the joke.
#14 Posted by kingoftheworld (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall they both suck. Im sorry but there have been better Deadpool writers. I get the book because Pool is in it but have to settle for their crap.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.