Continuity problem with issue 15!

#1 Edited by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I normally am really good about not caring if a writer changes a characters story, but the new story arc for deadpool is supposedly going to explain why wade has different past memories (canada/ohio, ect.).

The new issues 15, opens with a flashback of wade being dumped down a shoot into a trash pile out out of department k. BUT in Deadpool Annual 1998 by Joe Kelly, we see wade escape department k with gun blazing with a group of other inmates. This is the issue in which we find out why wade is called "Deadpool", which is kinda of a big deal in origins for him.

So if the new deadpool 15 is the REAL memory of leaving department k, it takes away the origin of wade getting the name "deadpool"!

I really hope someone can point out some way I'm wrong here, because even though this should not bother me it totally does. They are trying to make his two past's before department k make some sense finally, but in doing so they're creating two different stories of wade in deparment k/weapon x program.

Nerd rage over... lol

#2 Posted by Chibio (920 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're perfectly right. It looks like they are changing a part of the origin and it is indeed an important part of his origin. If they decide to stick to this version and make Deadpool see Clint Eastwoods movie 'The Dead Pool' in the next issue to explain how Deadpool got his name, then I'm going to jump out of the window.

#3 Posted by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio said:

I think you're perfectly right. It looks like they are changing a part of the origin and it is indeed an important part of his origin. If they decide to stick to this version and make Deadpool see Clint Eastwoods movie 'The Dead Pool' in the next issue to explain how Deadpool got his name, then I'm going to jump out of the window.

Right?! It's like they are taking away a huge part of his origins to explain a different part of his origins. Not only does he get the name "Deadpool" in the that issue, but we see what wade went through with all the experiments and pain in department k.

#4 Posted by mxb (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@chem86: Good call moving this topic to its own thread.

Started reading (but not posting on) comic forums just before the new writers took over deadpool. If there is one thing i've noticed its that comic readers jump to the "holy crap i hope they dont" / "they are going to (insert concern here) if so ill drop the book" Im sure this is done with good reason... especially after ways last little DP run. However i think these writers have done a pretty good job with slowly bringing DP back to a great/funny/BAMF'n character. Remember when people found out he was gonna have a voice in his head again?! I for one like Agent Preston in his dome. They have been bringing DP back one messed up piece at a time. Im gonna give these fellas the benefit of the doubt. Also see Brians interview on Conan O'Brien about how much he hates Lucas changing the whole "han shot first" thing. If he changes DPs name origin then ill join u in the "u son of a hypocrite" thread.

#5 Edited by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@mxb: I do totally agree with you the new writers have done a great job besides this prob with issue 15. Actually besides this flashback in issue 15, I still really loved the issue itself and the idea of teaming up with cap and wolverine. I totally hope you are right and this is explained better in the up coming story arc, this is after all only the first of five.

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool's origin has never been concrete in the first place. Don't take it too seriously.

#7 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@mxb: I think the main problem with the voices in Way's run was that they had no reason to be there. They were just shoved in with no explanation for why we had never heard of them before, in order to make a bunch of cheap jokes. Agent Preston is an actual character, and the whole thing actually has a plot revolving around it. It's more organic than just shoving new things down our throat with no rhyme or reason.

#8 Edited by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: I've never had a prob with Deadpool not having a set origin, but the writers said this arc was going to explain why his origins have been so split before and they wanted to do it without undoing anything already written. Just bothers me that to explain one part of his past they taking away another big one.

#9 Posted by The Lobster (1513 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to wait till the final issue of this arc to complain about any potential loopholes.

I get the feeling that everything will wrap up tightly with a nice little bow by the last issue of the arc. This is only the first part after all, it's setting up the story. For all we know the origin that was shown in this issue will be contracted latter on in the arc to show just how faulty Deadpool's memory is.

I'm going to wait till the arc is over. Although you could always just ask Gerry Duggan on twitter if the origin we saw in this issue was real or not.

#10 Posted by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to wait till the final issue of this arc to complain about any potential loopholes.

I get the feeling that everything will wrap up tightly with a nice little bow by the last issue of the arc. This is only the first part after all, it's setting up the story. For all we know the origin that was shown in this issue will be contracted latter on in the arc to show just how faulty Deadpool's memory is.

I'm going to wait till the arc is over. Although you could always just ask Gerry Duggan on twitter if the origin we saw in this issue was real or not.

I agree this could all be wrapped up nice by the end since this only the first issue of five. I'm gonna hope for the best, and that's a great idea bout asking Gerry Duggan on twitter! This flashback felt real, as it seemed it was the background to the over all plot of this arc. Like you said I really hope it's all explained in a way that doesn't leave his past more of mess than it was, in the process of trying to clean up his past's.

#11 Posted by mxb (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@chem86: we all agree in a forum? Weird.

@dctv3363: I agree 110% I was more referencing fan reaction, or overreaction, even before anything came out.

#12 Edited by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by mxb (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@chem86: Thats pretty cool... They seem to genuinely want to do right by their fans.

#14 Edited by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@mxb: They for sure seem to care about the fans, and total props to them for that. Another cool thing from twiiter with Duggen, he did respond to me asking if they will do more throwback 70's issues and he replied "outlook: Good", but he has since deleted that tweet. I suppose he might not want to give away if there will be more throwback style issues, thus deleting it a bit later

#15 Edited by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

i have only read the "dead presidents" arc. of the new series.

he BETTER NOT be trashing on joe kelly's old work! >:(

#16 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

*Notices twitter thing*

okey... everything in fine in the world. XD

p.s. your name is ben broltzer?

#17 Posted by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.