Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3316 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Any recommend Deadpool Issues?

BIZARRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BIZARRO

IM still a newbie to comics and ive been eye balling the Deadpool comics at the shop, i wanna get into the series but dont know were to start.

~Marauder~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ~Marauder~

Deadpool and Cable

Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gennadius

Not into deadpool corps (they are at the final issue anyway) but I would say the normal deadpool,team-up, Deadpool pulp/max when they come out. 
    And if you can Deadpool origins maybe too understand more about him.
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Deadpool's original ongiong. Joe Kelly's run (1-33) and Gil Simone's run (65-69) they are really good. (I recommend Agent x too which was a continuation of Deadpool's story)

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By spider-man 2996

THE DANIEL WAY SERIES AND JOE KELLY'S RUN
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Gylan Thomas

The old Joe Kelly/ Ed McGuinness run.

Avatar image for arthur_james_windsor
    Arthur James Windsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the original run or cable deadpool are best ones to get into by far

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Man of Lengend

joe kelly and Cable Deadpool were my favorites so far .......... wade wilson war was good too

DavHigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DavHigg

You got to go with Suicide Kings. Spidy and Deadpool go @ it with their one liner in each book.  Just Awesome!!! Or the thunderbolts Opus Graphic novel with Deadpool. He steal Norm Osborne credit card to get paid. 

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By The Lobster
     Here's what to pick up....

The old Joe Kelly Run, Because Joe Kelly is the best writer Deadpool ever had, and to show you how Deadpool is supposed to be written. Joe Kelly was the guy who showed us who Deadpool really was and basically set the standard of what to look for in a Deadpool comic book. 

Gail Simone's Run, because she was the only old writer to actually get close to what Joe Kelly set in stone. She was the only writer to come close to actually being on par with Joe Kelly everyone else was lacking in something and we almost forgot how cool Deadpool was, then Gail came along and reminded us how cool Deadpool really was. 

Cable and Deadpool, to basically see the best buddy duo in comic, although stay away from a few of the issues that go into Deadpool's back story because it's all just throwing out everything previous Deadpool writers had already written for no reason other then "This is what I think Deadpool's back story should have been" no continuity. 

Deadpool Origins is the most resent thing i can recommend and is a really good one shot and will also be a really good stepping stone into Deadpool and his PROPER Origin. If you want to get into Deadpool, YOU MIGHT WANT TO PICK THIS OR THE JOE KELLY STUFF UP FIRST. (Not shoating just emphasizing) 

Here's some stuff you might want to steer clear off....

Daniel Way's ongoing run, Daniel Way has a way of showing out of characteristic things and basically just writes for the moment. If he has an idea that requires Spider-Man to act like a jerk even though that's not who Spider-Man is and goes against everything that Spider-Man is, then he'll go ahead and do it anyway. Also a lot of his arcs are anti climatic and lazy. I could go deeper into this, but let's not get into a rant. 

Deadpool Corps, It's boring and so far has yet to go anywhere. Also the artwork is lazy and not good. 

Deadpool Team- Up, the main problem is that it's all just gimmicks. You can't tell a good story in just one issue, you need build up, then a climax, then some falling action. Plus you need to show emotional moments, and make us feel for the characters....and to cram all that into one issue and not make it feel cramped and crowded, is nearly impossible. 

Stuff to look forward too....

Deadpool MAX, a Deadpool series written by a writer who has so far showed some impressive stuff and the high maturity level allows the writer to do more mature things and just cut loose and do whatever he wants. Even the artist (who used to suck) has upped his game for this series and now his artwork doesn't make me want to put a bullet in my head. 

Deadpool Pulp, this looks like a different take on Deadpool and the Noir series hasn't really disappointed yet (from what I've read) so it should be good. Plus Mike Benson and Adam Glass have shown that they can write some pretty good Deadpool stories, so it should be good. 

Avatar image for craig_lovecraft
    Craig Lovecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Craig Lovecraft

Cable & Deadpool is my favorite Deadpool series. Also, I think Suicide Kings is worth checking out.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mutant X
    @rogue_mar1e said:
    " Deadpool Team-Up . Totally awesome, and easy to get into :) "
    Really?

@Gennadius said:
    " Not into deadpool corps (they are at the final issue anyway) "
    Really?
    Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gennadius
    @Mutant X:
    Yeah but the whole deadpool corps didnt make any sense anyway,they stopped at weird bars,fought weird aliens,lost their dog,wich got a lift some a plumber or something,got captured it was really weird. 

Owh and If you still can get your hands on deadpool wade wilsons war 1 etc those are pretty funny Imho too.
    Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool Corps isn't ending, it's an ongoing. The current arc is ending.

As for Team Up? I only pick it up if it features a character i like. Like Herc, Captain Britain or Satanna. Some of the issues are pretty decent. Just light, fun throwaway reads. Think of Deadpool Team Up as Batman Brave and the Bold... but more violent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Bullseye/Deadpool crossover.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster : really? Baker upped his game? How so? 
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Lobster
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    " @The Lobster : really? Baker upped his game? How so?  "
    well for one, he doesn't use images from Google as a background anymore and has basically removed all photo shopped elements. now it's just his art style, which I admit is still bazaar and abstract but at least it doesn't make me want to punch a newborn infant every time I look at it. Here's an example...

Deadpool Max
    Deadpool Max

This is an actual image from the Dead pool MAX series.

Now compare that to this...
    Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth #7
    Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth #7

I'd say that it's an improvement.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

If you're looking for someone solo Deadpool I would recommend "Funeral For a Freak".

the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Kyle Baker... when he is actually doing proper art... not that photoshop crap. His style reminds me of Skottie Young's. Surreal and darkly cartoony.

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster : an improvment from something as low quality as his art is like saying something wasn't as bad as the holocaust. It's not saying much.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The Lobster
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    " @The Lobster : an improvment from something as low quality as his art is like saying something wasn't as bad as the holocaust. It's not saying much. "
    I'm not saying his artwork is as good as Dustin Nguyen, Jim Lee, or Jock, I'm just saying that it's an improvement and because it's an improvement, I no longer feel the need to worry about not wanting to buy Deadpool MAX because his artwork will stink it up. 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Deadpool Classic tpbs, some amazing stuff there by Joe Kelly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 123422

I recommend the old Joe Kelly stuff, and Cable & Deadpool's good too
    for starters, try Deadpool Origins one-shot
    And i'm looking out for DP: Pulp also, curious how this'll turn out
    That's the great thing being a fan of Mr. Wilson, so many books for different tastes

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By longbowhunter

Deadpool vol.#1 issue #18 I think. Deadpool in the Weapon X program meets Death and falls in love. My all time favorite Deadpool issue. Very good story.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster : agreed.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

If you REALLY want to get to know Deadpool, you should indeed ( as many before me have already pointed out ) start with Joe Kelly's run ( the Classic Deadpool ) because it tells his origins, and is by far the best display of the Deadpool character at it's fullest, and not just the shallow crap.
     Cable & Deadpool: because it's just awesome and still has a few of the best arcs that either Cable or Deadpool ever had.
     After this you can always pick up the current Deadpool ongoing series by Daniel Way. It's not bad, has a few great moments. BUT it's not suited to start with in my opinion, because it shows a shallow version of Deadpool that mainly exists out of jokes and violence. His Deadpool lacks depth, so far.

Merc with a Mouth is also nice, but not a really good series to start with.

Deadpool Team-Up needs no pre-reading at all, and issues can be bought separately because there are no story arcs. However I find 70% of the issues less than OK.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27  Edited By ReverseNegative

Probably Suicide Kings or Dark Reign.

BIZARRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BIZARRO

thanks

Avatar image for capo_del_bandito
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito

Deadpool Classic Vol 1-3, Preorder 4, and at least the early stuff of Cable and Deadpool. After the Civil War crossover it went out the door silly/over the top madness.

I recommend the Daniel Way stuff if you want over the top stupidity for stupidity's sake, and really bad jokes and gigantic plotholes. 

Gischler's MWAM is fun, but only pick it up if you really get into Deadpool. 

I guess Wade Wilson's War is for fun too (I'm not big on Non-Canon stories) but pick it up if you enjoy the other stuff I guess.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

Wade Wilson's War is pretty darn good. But I do believe you'll only learn to appreciate it if you've actually read the Deadpool Classic etc. volumes. Because it's kind of somewhat of an origins story.. But not exactly told in a classic way. So I think, to fully appreciate is, you need a pretty decent background on Deadpool.

the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShirEPanjshir:  WWW is out of canon. It's Marvel Knights. It's basically an "elseworlds" story. You don't really need to know anything about Deadpool to read it i don't think.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @the ace of knaves: I'm not saying you HAVE to have read something before. I'm just saying I think you 'll appreciate it more if you've read Deadpool Classic issues. Because they also tell the whole cancer - we'll heal your cancer [but than fail] - send you off with the other failed experiments -thingy etc. But than again, I might be totally wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.