Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3319 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

A second ongoing?!

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian

No Caption Provided

"By Jim Beard

With Deadpool, you can always expect the unexpected. Take the kickoff of his brand-new ongoing series, DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH, on sale July 1—sometimes words fail to convey the absolute insanity of the 'Pool's world, but writer Victor Gischler gives it a go.

"I would describe the plot this way: Deadpool is dropped down a deep, deep hole, and we get to watch all the bumps and scrapes as he tries to climb back out again," he says. "It would seem to be starting out as the usual kind of situation for Deadpool. He's being hired to do a job. He wants to get paid. That's Deadpool. But finding himself in the Savage Land face to face with his own Zombie self! Well, the head anyway."

That's right folks, the Marvel Universe's most talented and talkative mercenary teams up with his own head from an alternate universe and hilarity and hi-jinks ensue—if they survive each other, that is.

"This relationship is still evolving," explains Gischler. "It's sort of like a Hope-Crosby road picture in a way. They're a team, sort of, but also antagonistic. Both are mad, but regularDeadpool is actually trying to accomplish something whereas the Headpool loves being along for the ride."

Readers met the detached zombified head of Deadpool in the MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 limited series and it quickly became not only a fan favorite but a rising star in its own right. A story to encompass both downright delightful Deadpools became a necessity.

"The origin [of the project] is really great because it's actually kind of unclear in hindsight," Gischler notes. "I've written novels and screenplays in addition to comics, and I can tell you that the collaborative process is most important for me with comics. [Editor] Axel Alonso and I went back and forth again and again until we felt we had the right idea. I think it really took both of us to make it work.

"Mission Statement: madness."

As his fervent followers know, Wade Wilson's adventures usually include a healthy dollop of both panic and panache as well as a liberal soaking of humor. It's a balance thatscribe Gischler not only embraced for DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH but also approached as a challenge.

"Some of the funniest things are also the darkest things," the writer says. "I suppose that shows you where my warped little brain is. Bad things are funny when they happen to other people. I think the key is knowing the Deadpool character. If you know Wade well enough, then the rest balances itself."

Interested Marvel fans may wonder if foreknowledge of MARVEL ZOMBIES will be key to enjoying DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH, but Gischler puts those folks at ease:

"It would be cool for readers to know all about the Zombie stories and the Zombie Universe, but it's not 100% necessary to read MERC WITH A MOUTH," he insists. "We catch you up pretty well. Zombie Headpool is hanging with us in this universe for a while and seems to have made the transition well. He's quite adaptable."

Both the story and the writer benefit from the inclusion of artist Bong Dazo, a talent who Gischler rates among the brightest of the rising stars.

"I think Bong's style perfectly reflects the blend of comedy and action," he states. "I was thrilled as hell when I saw those first pages Bong finished. I knew it was gonna be gangbusters!""

Marvel.com

I have to say I stopped reading the entire article at "brand-new ongoing series". This seriously pisses me off, Deadpool is not a character that deserves TWO ongoing series when there are so many characters not being used.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

I thought this was only supposed to be a one shot or a mini....it sounds like it would be better as a one shot or a mini

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Martian

According to Marvel.com its going to be an ongoing.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I'm quite happy.  Deadpool is getting his deserved props.

Cloaked Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cloaked Man

Deadpool's on the rise. First a new ongoing, a appearance in a movie, a one-shot, a mini-series and now a second ongoing. I'm saying it first, Deadpool's gonna' wind up on one of the Avenger teams in the next two years.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Headpool, hah!

Still not sure how I feel about how his crazy is portrayed though.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Martian
    Cloaked Man said:
    Deadpool's on the rise. First a new ongoing, a appearance in a movie, a one-shot, a mini-series and now a ... [more]
    Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up on more than one team in the next couple years.
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

I agree with nobody. Not because I don't think Deadpool isn't good enough for two ongoings but I really am afraid that they'll burn people out on Deadpool and he'll fall back in obscurity or even worse he just becomes another Wolverine.

He already has his healing factor (only better) but does he need Wolverine's ability to appear in 15 comics a week?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Martian

I used to like Wolverine as a character. But his over exposure and "clones" and tired me out of claws and healing factors. I have a feeling Deadpool is near this point already for me.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    Cloaked Man said:
    Deadpool's on the rise. First a new ongoing, a appearance in a movie, a one-shot, a mini-series and now a ... [more]
    The Deadpool Avengers! And don't for get he getting his movie...Norman Osborn hasn't taking over the world people, Deadpool has!
    WWDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WWDD

I'm happy to have another ongoing DP series.

geometry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By geometry

I'm not. My bitty doesn't have ONE.

Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13  Edited By Deadstroke

I happy having two series, it means that if this new series is better then the current ones written by Daniel Way, then I can forget about buying Way's series and get my daily dose of Deadpool from this series instead.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    The_Martian said:
    I used to like Wolverine as a character. But his over exposure and "clones" and tired me out of claws ... [more]
    I can see where you are coming from.  I think Deadpool will be fine with two series. No more though, I think he is at the right point. 
    Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Bergquist
    Cloaked Man said:

yes, new ,mighty or Dark
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I absolutely love Deadpool...But I'm sick of this.  He's going to the path of Wolverine to complete overexposure. 

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Dreadmaster

This is why Deadpool's exposure should be at a minimum, i absolutely have no money to keep buying what i have and more Deadpool series this sahould just stay where its at.

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally dont mind him having another ongoing as long as the story is good (i've seen previews of it and i dont like the art), and how come you guys dont say anything about Spiderman being over-exposed, he has Ultimate Spiderman (well not anymore), Amazing Spiderman (and Brand New Day), Spiderman Noir, and those Spiderman family comics, and he makes guest appearances in other stuff?

Idk maybe it's different but yeah i dont like Wolverine but he's not the only over-exposed character in comics (dont forget about Dc). Even Superman, he has all those different versions of him and i see him and Batman in several Dc comics all the time.
    But as a fan of Deadpool i'll try out this run and see how i like it, hopefully i can get past Bong Dazo's art, b/c im not a fan of his skills.
    Also FYI this is kind of old news...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.