Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    On behalf of the insurance company he works for, Machine Man serves Deadpool a hefty bill for all the damage he's caused in his mercenary career. DP doesn't have the money, so he opts to do a job for Machine Man instead - - namely, bumping off the Puppet Master.

The Good    

Capturing the right balance between snappy humor and bad ass action for Deadpool is actually pretty tough and Asmus handles it quite deftly. From the jokes about hamsters and machine lube to the constant ridicule of Puppet Master's eyelashes to the whole premise of Machine Man holding DP accountable for the insurance damages he's wrought... this issue was just funny. My favorite gag had be to the riff on the old cartoon stable - - the arguing angel and devil on DP's shoulders. Gunnell's art was pretty good - - I especially like how he rendered Machine Man and never skimped out on the detail for all his complex cybernetic parts. He drew every link in his extended arms!

The Bad   

I didn't read any of Next Wave, so I'm not totally familiar with everything Ellis did to revamp Machine Man. Still, the running gag about him making these narcissistic asides about his perfect body got a little old, really fast. It was really more funny when he was portrayed as a more traditional straight man to DP.

The Verdict - 4/5  

Once again, this title actually proves that, while there might be an overload of DP books out right now, most of them are actually good. This comic's the perfect venue for new talent to get their feet wet in the MU with told-in-ones that follow enough of a common theme to justify them being part of a continuing title. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but this was definitely one of the better contributions to this series. Just good fun.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

Looking forward to reading this one during the weekend. Damn work keeps me from buying them tomorrow. So it'll be Saturday before I'll get my hands on my comics of the past 2 weeks. Including this one.

thehood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By thehood

I stopped following this book awhile ago. I think the last one I read was the Franken Castle issue. Up until that point none of the issues were any good, but I just kept buying them because I'm a Deadpool fan and kept hoping that the book would get better. I'm genuinely surprised that this got a good review, but maybe that means I should start reading again.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By longbowhunter

Thanks to Nextwave I've grown an appreciation for Aaron Stack. This is one issue I may pick up.

WickedWays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By WickedWays

Machine Man is one of the most under appreciated characters in comics! I think he needs his own series, ASAP!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.