Cullen Bunn is Unapologetic to the End - You're Next!

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

Edited By thanosrules

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe#3 and #4 (of 4)

Recommendation: “Yes!”

Again, this is a must read for fans of blood, gore and good ole’ Supervillin Killin’ (super hero killin’ too, but that doesn’t rhyme no matter how much it is misspelled)…

Deadpool has gone nuts… or succumbed to his nuttiness. Whichever. It doesn’t matter. Either way, everyone in the Marvel Universe is gonna die. No matter how long it takes.

Then, once he is done with all the Marvel Universe(s), he is coming for us…

The fourth wall was broken in the first issue, so it was no surprise that we would see this mini-series end in a very similar way. I liked it. I know some people are calling it the “lazy way” to end the mini, but what were the alternatives? Really? And I am sure writing it this way was no less work than coming up with some other way that people would find a way to complain about.

It needed an ending, and the creators wanted to be immortalized in ink. Period. The End. It may have been done before, it may feel cheesy, but guess what, it was meant to be. Similar to how each of Deadpool’s kills were without mercy, remorse, or hesitation; this book ends - unapologetic - and I commend the creators for it.

I have to say that I enjoyed the 3rd Issue more than the fourth, but that is because I thought the method in which Deadpool killed some of the more “unkillable” characters was a stretch - even for this book. Is Puppetmaster really that powerful? It is one thing to create a “Clay Surfer” - it is quite another to create “puppets” for each of the cosmic entities to be manipulated at the hands of our resident whacko, Deadpool.

While that seemed a bit of a stretch, it was one way to go about checking those characters off his list. Remember, unapologetic…

Back to Issue #3 - The X-Men, and others… but mostly it is the X-Men and Professor X that we are meant to mourn. Clever. Very Clever. I liked how one of the questions I had from Issue #2 was answered, only to be put to rest, very unapologetically. The “others” I referred to were merely to track the progress of Taskmaster - and to give us a glimpse at some of Deadpool’s handy-work.

At the end of Issue #3, Taskmaster discovers Deadpool’s plan - but will he be able to stop him?

Well that is a silly question now isn’t it? Yeah, it is. But the battle in Issue #4 between the two was well worth the build-up - definitely as clever as Professor X’s “final exam”.

I love that we have seen more and more of Man-Thing in recent comics - that character always adds depth to a story - even one as seemingly shallow as a murderous tale of a rampaging madman.

Not to end this on an existential note, but that is what we are left with - life imitating art, and then art ripping the beating heart out of life. No one is safe - not even Frank Castle - okay, maybe the one from Frank Tieri’s Space: Punisher - because that guy is bad-ass. Come to think of it, I would love to this Deadpool vs. that Universe… Talk about unapologetic! The four-armed Hulk could definitely give this Deadpool a run for his healing factor.

Cullen and Frank, do you think we can make that happen? ;)

NOTE: Reviews for Issues #1 and #2 are here:A killer montage of destruction by Cullen Bunn

——

Entire Mini-Series Reviews here!

Follow @thanosrules on Twitter for more thanosrules Quick Reviews (#trqr) and listen to Stacks of Comics (@stacksofcomics) for all (okay, some of) your Comic Podcast needs!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.