Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

Edited By thanosrules

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe#1 and #2

Recommendation: “Yes!”

This book is a dirty little secret that you really don’t want to enjoy, but you just do. These two issues amass quite a death toll, even for Deadpool. It really is a nice montage of killing - my favorite imagery so far is the result of Howard the Duck’s run-in with our favorite killer… It serves this book and the entire idea perfectly.

The writing is great - the wordplay between the characters is perfect for the tone so clearly set for this book. Deadpool must be such a fun character to write - especially when you get to write him killing everyone in the Marvel Universe.

The battle with Spidey (Issue #2) is one that stands out in my mind. It is so well done, I didn’t want to turn the page, because you just knew it was going to be over for the web-head.

I really enjoy how this book knows exactly what it is, and doesn’t hold back on making fun of itself. When the 4th wall is broken (Issue #1), it was one of the best 4th wall breaks I have experienced in a comic. Bravo.

Some other moments that stand out… let’s see - Deadpools excellent usage of Pym particles… and while entertaining, I am not sure the deaths of Wolverine and Hulk would work the way they were illustrated, but inventive nonetheless (all Issue #2). Issue #1’s ending was great too - it proved that no lines will be left un-crossed!

The second issue ends with a nice twist - I am not sure if it will make any difference, but hey, Deadpool has to run up against some kind of resistance.

Overall, the story is very interesting. It is great to see all these Marvel characters - even if they are dying off like pigs to a slaughter.

My only question - how is this an ongoing series? How is it that these issues don’t have a “of 5” or something after the issue number? I am all for this continuing, but at some point, Wade is going to wake up from his drug induced dream, or at the very least run out of characters to kill… I hope neither of those things happen, at least until he has a go at Galactus!

[edit] - as Vejigante has pointed out (duh, I should read the internet more), this is a 4-issue mini-series. [/edit]

Pick it up - That is if you like gratuitous violence and want to see the untimely deaths of your favorite Marvel characters! :D

NOTE: Reviews for Issues #3 and #4 are here:Cullen Bunn is Unapologetic to the End - You're Next!

——

Follow @thanosrules on Twitter for more thanosrules Quick Reviews (#trqr) and listen to Stacks of Comics (@stacksofcomics) for all (okay, some of) your Comic Podcast needs!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.