Follow

Deadpool Corps

Volume »

Deadpools from different Earths team up to cause Deadpoolesque carnage around the galaxy.

Review: Deadpool Corps 1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided
    The past couple of years, well, since right around Secret Invasion, we've been hit over the head, again and again, with Deadpool. I went into this book with low expectations. I wasn't sure if I needed to read the Prelude to Deadpool Corps to understand this, and I didn't know how many pages I'd get through before becoming annoyed. This issue featured two stories: One featuring the Deadpool Corps, and the other story featured Deadpool at a shrink.

The Good

I'll admit it. I like Rob Liefeld's art in this book. The ridiculousness of this story fits well with Liefeld's art. This book is packed with a lot of comedy, and there's a few times were I actually laughed out loud, and this is just the first story. The back-up story's art, penciled and inked by Matteo Scalera and colored by Matt Wilson was wonderful. It brought me back to the Cable/Deadpool series, but with darker colors and shading. The aspect of the art I liked the most about that second story was the hard jawlines all the "tough" characters had. It's the first time I've laughed at a jawline in a comic. I hope that was the artist's intention.

The Bad

Back to Liefeld's art, once again. No one ever just "stands." They're are always posing, or the character is in some sort of odd position that many people would never stand in. Also, everyone is ripped. Like HGH (Human Growth Hormone..steroids) ripped, even Kid Deadpool. Who are the non-overly-muscular people in the first story? The women and the dog. But the thing that bugged me the most about this book more than anything else. Every member of the Deadpool Corps (minus the dog) is interchangeable. There is no difference in dialogue, character, personality, or anything else between them. You could just imagine one Deadpool saying everything to himself if you'd like. The back-up story only had one problem, the humor. While the story was strong and enjoyable, when it came down to the humorous dialogue, it failed. And with the book over-all, sometimes I felt like I was being bombarded with jokes, they felt like filler more than anything. 

The Verdict

I didn't read one issue of Prelude to Deadpool Corps, and I pretty much understood everything going on in this first issue. If you like Deadpool and have been following him around for the past couple of years, you'll love the book. If you're interested in the series and just  want a fun read, you'll like this book. If you hate Deadpool, then don't buy this book. It's a lot more humor than action, so be prepared for that, and although many of the first story's jokes are a huge hit, there are many jokes that will make you do the old "facepalm." This book isn't going to get new Deadpool fans, but it will keep its current legion of fans very happy. The easiest way to make this book a 5 out of 5 is to have the writer of the first story, Victor Gischler, work with the artist of the back-up story, Matteo Scalera. Until then, for me, the average guy who kind of likes Deadpool, it's good, but not great.

3.5/5

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By timrothsays

>>the average guy who kind of likes Deadpool -- well, that's me. i'll give it a HUGE confidence limit

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @timrothsays:
    You can't just kinda like Wade either you like himor you don't
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By timrothsays
    @Mr. Dead Pool: 
    It always depends on the writer
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Wow! must be pretty dame good if it made you laugh out loud, that is always the hardest thing to do as a writer especially in a comic book. so kudos towards that. I'm not a huge Deadpool fan or a Leifeild fan (but he does not bug me as much as he bugs most people) but i think its pretty cool to see him back on his character, brings me back to my childhood in a way ha ha

Anyways I wont be picking this up ha ha ha, but I just wanted to say how surprised i am at the rating and that it actually made u laugh. good job writer.

Cpt. Quor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cpt. Quor

I've always enjoyed Deadpool books and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a fan of Liefeld, he can do some awesome looking stuff imo, however, even with all that I'm still not too fussed about this book, I just don't really like the concept, I just wish Daniel Way would put a stop to all the damn guest appearances in the main Deadpool series.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By doordoor123

Deadpool comic annoys me but ive been laughing all through prelude and have been loving it (minus part 5)
    I really dont like deadpool most of the time but if its funny, its funny. And ill pick up a funny comic any day.
    I havent read this issue but i just opened it in front of me so we'll see how i like it.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By SevanGrim

thy need to tone it down.  dp with a serious guy like cable or on a standard team as the comic relief is fine.. but dp as the the  whole cast is overkill. but i knew from the moment they tossed zombiepool  in that this was coming....

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

thank you so much for the review, I was not aware of this comic and I am a DP fan, thanks to your review I will pick it up but be a little cautious going in, thanks IE great Job!

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

No Caption Provided
    peur_evol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By peur_evol

"Every member of the Deadpool Corps (minus the dog) is interchangeable."

Yeah, even (616) Deadpool remarks in the story how the others are already getting on his nerves. This has some comedy potential, though.
    As for the art, I'd still rather see Liefeld's work than the horrible CG art from Prelude #5.
    Also, the backup wasn't written for this; it was just printed a few weeks ago in BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY #2 (a bit too soon for a reprint, if you ask me).

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @peur_evol said:
    "  Also, the backup wasn't written for this; it was just printed a few weeks ago in BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY #2 (a bit too soon for a reprint, if you ask me). "
    Oh, I didn't know that. thanks for letting me know, and I agree, WAY too soon for a reprint.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.