k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

It's amazing how just one story can totally transform a book. Previously, DEADPOOL felt like it was all about the laughs and madness it could throw your way. And you know what? It did that very well and was really a blast to read. But 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' has turned the title into a brilliant and engrossing ride. The laughs and good times certainly still remain, but they're complimented with some absurdly powerful raw emotion and a narrative that continues to leave me super anxious to get my hands on the next chapter.

Just like in the last issue, co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn are doing terrific work with the characters and pacing. I'm shocked how the book has me laughing and awestruck at some action or quips, then seconds later abruptly hits with me with a heart-rending incident. There's some exceptional moments with Cap and the imitation X-Men, but there's a superb spotlight on Wolverine and, of course, Deadpool in this issue.

The panels are every bit as good as the writing. Declan Shalvey's sketchier and rougher style is a virtually flawless match for the gripping tones this story has to offer. It's a great parallel to the grittier moments in the camp and most certainly delivers in making Deadpool look great -- be it when he's badass, depressed or comedic. Jordie Bellaire's coloring brings Shalvey's illustrations to life in such a great manner and the result is some pages I just had to stare at. The blood shooting from Wolverine's hand as his claws are popped and Captain America using his shield in one scene are particularly worth gazing at for quite some time.

The Bad

I love how the intro is a nice reminder of Steve's speed, but having him perfectly fine and Wolverine and Deadpool out of breath felt odd to me considering they also have excellent stamina and endurance.

It's also a bit tough to believe the North Korean officer recovered so quickly after that optic blast at such close range and all of the other guards died or were knocked out -- especially since faux Cyclops was looking right at him.

The Verdict

I'm at a loss for words after reading this issue. I never expected to be hit with so much emotion in this story. I knew this arc was walking a darker and more emotional path, but this was an absolutely staggering read. I know it's such a cliche saying, but I'm telling you, 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' just gets better and better. I can't say this enough: this is a can't miss for Deadpool fans and will most certainly go down as one of his must read stories. Truth be told, the final chapter could be complete garbage and this is still a story I'll be sure to purchase when the hardcover hits. The creative team is truly showing some great range with this one and the result is phenomenal.

Don't worry, Deadpool, I have a feeling you won't be seeing any 1-star reviews for this one.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@renchamp said:

That solves it. I have enough cash for one book this week and it was either this or Uncanny X-Force. I'll wait a week for the latter.

UXF was good - this was better.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I actually felt bad for Wade. Can't wait to see him eviscerate the Butler.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great book dudes,

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Poor, poor Deadpool. Hope his daughter is still alive.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Protoflash

This is by far the greatest deadpool story thats ever been written. Never before have I actually FELT something for deadpool other than some sort of twisted camaraderie after playing too much GTA.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

As a Deadpool newbie, could I start with the first issue of this series or would it require prior knowledge?

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never expected the most depressing book in my pull list to be Deadpool.

Avatar image for ultimastarkiller
    UltimaStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wilbertus: When you say "first issue of the series", if you mean the very first issue, Deadpool #1, then no, no prior knowledge necessary. If you mean the first issue of this arc, Deadpool #15, then I'd still say not really. The current arc was set up in previous issues, and there are characters you may not be familiar with, such as Agent Preston, but it honestly wont hurt your enjoyment of the current arc by not knowing all of that, following from the beginning just adds to it. Quite frankly, this might be the best place to start. Oh, and there's always a "previously on..." page at the very beginning to explain some of the main plot points, so that will also help bring you up to speed a little. Either way, starting at #1 or #15, you really cant go wrong. Hope this helped!

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Man, I did not expect Wade to break-down like that at the end of the issue. That was probably the first time I've seen Deadpool get emotional.

But yeah, this issue was excellent. I really want to see the Butler get what he deserves. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of Deadpool action.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ultimastarkiller: Thank you, it helped a lot. I meant beginning at #1. I figured that the first issue is usually a good starting point but I wasn't sure as I am not very familiar with the Deadpool comics. However after seeing all these cool reviews every month I just had to get in on the action. I'll see if I can start at #1 and otherwise I'll start with #15. Thank you!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, another amazing issue. This book is seriously trying to knock Thor: GoT out of the top spot of the years best superhero title. With each issue of this arc it inches closer. I can't wait for the next issue, you gotta think Wade's gonna go bat$#!# crazy on somebody. Great review Gregg.

Note to nameless baddies: Don't shoot a flamethrower towards Captain America's shield.

joyita1413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue...almost makes me cry

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sparty-dbq

Whatever unbridled hell Deadpool has in store for Butler is still too good for him.

mxb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they slowed because Wade was loaded with drugs and Wolverine had no HF.

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
    turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

man, this is so sad. the feels.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Mezmero

Such a great and sad issue. Oh Wade. I'm so, so sorry. :(

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I chocked on that page.
    I have never seen wade like this. Never imagined this to be possible. When something like this happens to someone like him, it really breaks u.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Powerful issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.