gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Life in a school for assassins isn’t as easy as often portrayed. Marcus and his friends snuck away for a little road trip which continued to spiral out of control. Rick Remender has packed in crazy event after crazy event. With drugs and death and a fight for survival, those that managed to make it through all this will learn lessons not taught in their school.

With the end of the first arc, it’s almost unbelievable how much intensity Remender packs into this single issue. The action had already escalated beyond your typical action story means but there’s no stopping what Remender will dish out on these kids.

Wes Craig continues to shake things up on his side of the storytelling. There’s one scene in particular, at a convenience store that I had to stop and stare at. Craig mixes up the perspective and getting some overheard shots really makes the action flow across the page. Lee Loughridge’s colors creates a cool vibe that helps transform the entire look and feel of the story into something unique.

The Bad

Some of the action is a little one-sided. By this point you kind of expect more from some of the characters but what we do get is a glorious blowout ending to the first arc.

The Verdict

DEADLY CLASS is a crazy and intense series. Rick Remender is clearly not holding back in the scenes he comes up with for the characters. This issue marks the end of the first story arc and it almost feels like there’s no end to the violence and mayhem. Wes Craig’s art and layouts are extraordinary. Combined with Lee Loughridge’s colors, DEADLY CLASS is a great comic to read and look at. You’ll find yourself having to stop to take in all the details. This comic is not for the feint of heart. Each issue gets me more excited for the next.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Great issue, but man it was hard to watch Chico go to town on Marcus like that. And I completely forgot about Redneck Scarface lurking around. Can't wait to learn that guy's story.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I have no idea why this book gets such rave reviews.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Marcus is gonna be in some deep s### when he gets back to the school.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I loved that scene in the store as well. Some great use of perspective and panels by Wes Craig there.

manlybanister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book!

The awesome!

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like we have a troll in our midst!!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Deadly Class is the best comic being published IMO!!

@br_havoc said:

I have no idea why this book gets such rave reviews.

Because it's awesome? Have you read it?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: I read the first issue, but found it took itself far too seriously. It's a retro grim, dark coming of age story that seems tailor made for hipster comic fans that want to trash every other popular book.

I guess it's just me, but I did not get that connection to it like I did with other creator known books like Chew or Saga.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@br_havoc: I didn't like the first issue either, it seemed like it was trying too hard and Marcus came off as a b####, but I decided to give issues 2 and 3 a shot, and started really liking it.

The expansion on the school and the 80's punk aspect really hooked me.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@br_havoc said:

@madeinbangladesh: I read the first issue, but found it took itself far too seriously. It's a retro grim, dark coming of age story that seems tailor made for hipster comic fans that want to trash every other popular book.

I guess it's just me, but I did not get that connection to it like I did with other creator known books like Chew or Saga.

I thought the first issue was good, but not great. It got amazing after the first issue. You can't judge an image book by reading only the first issue really. Pick up the trade, every issue after the first is incredible, and I don't even like Remender's writing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This book is ultra violent but glorious. Not usually a fan of Remender but this and Black Science are top notch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.