DCU Online To Be Offered For Free

• 84 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

After what seemed like five straight years of teasing and hype, DC UNIVERSE ONLINE finally launched this past January with a retail price that clocked somewhere between $40 and $50 (depending on which version you picked) and a monthly subscription of around $15. Now, just as the “off-line” DCU’s been evolving with all this New 52 business, so too will the online DCU change as the MMORPG’s official site has just introduced a new “game plan” offering three new ways for the people to shortly be able to play.

Luthor suggest you should try DCU Online now... or else.

Most significantly, the uninitiated will be able to download the game for free and play it without any subscription fees from here on out. It’s real hard to argue with the price of "free." Players choosing the five-buck-a-month “Premium” option will have access to a higher number of character, inventory, auction and bank slots, as well as in-game currency. If you want to continue with the $14.99 monthly subscription fee, you’ll here on out be regarded as a "Legendary" player with significantly higher numbers of the aforementioned slots in your possession, as well as an unlimited amount of currency and text options. You can see how the precise breakdown shakes out here.

Sadly, I don’t have much time to game these days, but this deal makes it a lot harder for me to resist. Have any of you maniacs been playing DCU ONLINE? Are you enticed to, now, if you haven’t already?

#1 Posted by keithmoon316 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I got the game when it first came out and liked it a lot. When the month was up however, I didn't have the disposable income to commit to the monthly cost. I hope to get back into it in October...if there is time.

#2 Posted by Ulfghuld (35 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad I got the Lifetime membership.... heh. Guess I will be Legendary forever at least.

#3 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

YYYYEEESSSSS FINALLY

#4 Posted by LB70145 (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I see they couldn't really beat City of Heroes. Could have told you that before they launched. Maybe I might pick this up now.

#5 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to have more free time than ever before for a while, so I may check this out. Combat looks a little goofy to me though.

#6 Posted by ninjacommando (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be nice to give it a try since it's free.

#7 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

About time, guys. Let's see Marvel compete with this now.

#8 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Where do I go to play it?

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO. So glad I procrastinated buying it.

#10 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta keep up competition with the other MMORPGs out there that are offering free membership. I may try it out sometime now that its free. Cool stuff!

#11 Posted by n25philly (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in the beta and the game is awesome, and I felt like I was really in the DC universe despite not knowing it that well. I just don't have the free time between working 60+ hours a week, going to grad school, and ice hockey. I'll definitely play some with the free option, maybe even the $5 option.

#12 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I feel dumb for buying it...

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio

So when will I be able to play?

#14 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

DC thinks people are still going to pay $15 a month for this game just to have a new "Legendary" status on their character with in-game money and more text options?

Pfftt... bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

#15 Posted by fitchy101 (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad I waited for this day now...

#16 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

yes!

#17 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

What about the PS3 version where its a one time fee for it being online? And of course the price of the game itself too.

#18 Posted by hrodvitnir (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I try to limit myself to one MMO (if even that) because I'm a cheap bastard, and it takes away from money I could be spending on comics, but this removed the one hurdle that was keeping me from trying out this game. I'm looking forward to it now.

#19 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMess1428: Yup. Free for PS3 as well.

#20 Posted by Croi (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I played it for a few months on my PS3, though, I got to lvl 30 and could go no further except make another character under different receptions and get to lvl 30 again. Thinking about going back to it, but first I need a new PS3.

#21 Posted by Omegalpha (61 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I waited... awesome!

#22 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@keithmoon316 said:

I got the game when it first came out and liked it a lot. When the month was up however, I didn't have the disposable income to commit to the monthly cost. I hope to get back into it in October...if there is time.

This = Me.

#23 Posted by Crazy Pan (708 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol I kind of like Champions Online better...of course I think Champs is directed toward more of an easy going gamer. I'm not a good gamer and I've been leveling just fine on Champs which makes me happy. BUT I mean....I do have to pay $15 for Champs and DCU would be just $5...Hrm...something I should consider then.

#24 Posted by zombietag (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

i never play video games ever, but i might do this just because its free

#25 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

I would totally play now that it is free. I have no problem paying for the game i just hate subscription costs

#26 Posted by ManlyScream (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Have they introduced the ability to play as a Lantern yet? Or have they even brought up that this could be an expansion in the future...how do they promote Green Lantern as a flagship hero but not have the Green Lantern Corp as a class to choose from? There is an argument that their constructs would all be the same, but if they created a leveling up system like the licensed video game they would be able to allow some personalization....that's what I think anyway.

#27 Posted by CptPanda29 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

The game stopped being fun once max level, and it was all kinds of grindy.

Anyone want's to hit me up on CoH i'm @Cap Fallout cause some US ultrab*stard stole Captain from me...

#28 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

Have played since launch day 1.

#29 Posted by pikahyper (11522 posts) - - Show Bio

Never had much need for MMORPG’s but if it is free what the hell I'll give it a shot next month when I have some free time. Sure doesn't seem like very many characters though o.O? are there more characters then the site lists bio-wise? There are only bios for 17 characters but in some of the screenshots I saw characters not listed o.o

#30 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I guess I'm finally going to try this out.

#31 Posted by DarthLydia (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Your info is INCORRECT.  The premium package is NOT $5 per month.  If you have ever spent a minimum of $5 for anything in DCUO then you qualify for Premium.  So, if like me, you purchased the game and stopped playing, you automatically qualify for premium. 

If you sign up for Free and buy anything, expansion pack, extra character slot, whatever, then you upgrade to Premium. 

Almost exactly the same way as City of Heroes Freedom is working

#32 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonTempest
their MMO is going to be free to play from the get go 
and they're using existing characters not ones you make yourself
#33 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew if I waited long enough, it'd be free. :)

#34 Posted by Icarusflies (12467 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSS!!!

#35 Posted by DarkShadows (742 posts) - - Show Bio

This day got better for me. :)

#36 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

The Endgame sucks in that game, I'm not going back until that's fixed.

#37 Posted by HumanNumber (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jordanstine said:

DC thinks people are still going to pay $15 a month for this game just to have a new "Legendary" status on their character with in-game money and more text options?

Pfftt... bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

There is a reason free to play works so damn well, people will pay to get things that others don't have.

#38 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

give it about another year before dc closes up shop. fail

#39 Posted by Mask of Tengu (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this game!!!

#40 Edited by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad it's moving to free,, I've beeen playig like crazy since the lantern powers came out.Smart move for them with all the big game releases coming.

#41 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I will play this game...

#42 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Have pc collecotrs editon .Which atm if you can find for cheep.The bat man statue is neat at least. The game is mroe like playing batman arkham asylum.Plays best with a xbox 360 controller but can be played with keyboard an mouse.ITs very light on the rpg side of the mmorpg.Its light on the costume creation starting out compaired to city of heroes. Its prety tho.But you can feel the console-ish-ness on pc side.

Missions were fun over all.This is not a grind for days game. you can be max level in a week .An thats part of its charm an part of its problems.Im on the station pass so i get this as well as other mmorpgs all for 19.99 Should be at least premium with that maybe legnedary.That parts not clear yet.

Its well worth a download .Tho i wish they did names like champion did them. So expect to not get the exact name you want.Game needs more power sets. For the love of gawd you have a game with super man an no super strength or invul power sets!An end game can become a bore. Think of it more as a action mmo than a mmorpg an you will be happy.

City of Heroes players dont expect it to be a dc version of coh.Champion players dont expect to have the same power flexability.Batman arkham asylum fans you found a new home.

#43 Posted by Manchine (3985 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured this would happen with how badly it was handled.
#44 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#45 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a whirl. My hero will be twice as endowed as Power Girl!! Seriously no, but I'll try the game out.

#46 Posted by falor3 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#47 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I will give it a try.

#48 Posted by BuNKiTZ (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally! I've been waiting for this for quite some time :P

#49 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (990 posts) - - Show Bio

Played it the day it game out and loved it, however I just couldn't justify the renewal as I needed the funds elsewhere, but if there is a free option, I am all over it

#50 Edited by Sasuke (397 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got this last week on PS3 looking for people to play with

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.