DC Universe Online the Game... To Buy, or Not to buy...

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

II have been at battle with myself trying to justify buying this game. I have been following the news of it from the very beginning. I had never been more excited for a game in my life and then i get the bomb say that its going to be accompanied by a monthly payment (before the payment news i was 100% buying this game). I had never wanted a game more but i just have a hard time seeing the justification in contiously paying for a game. It would make more sense to me if they had a daily payment (.75-$1/day). 

Now that the game has been out for around two months im curious, does any one on the vine or has anyone played this game before? Is it worth the monthly payments? Can someone please help... 

I know it probably sounds dumb that i would have this much of a problem with buying a simple game but being married and having bills (usually strapped for cash almost every month) is really the thing pushing me not to buy it but i love the idea and the DCU.
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Manchine

Personally

Its good graphics and such but its not very MMO, to much of a Single Player game..  Plus there is just not enough powers and not enough costume parts at the start.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Manchine:
    thanks
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I played the beta and I can easily say it isn't worth it. It's just a so-so game and not worth the cost of admission

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

i was about to get it after looking for it for a month and the guy at the game store told me that the game was horrible and told me to get champions online he said it was a better superhero game
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vitality

Definitely not worth paying monthly. 

See if you can get a month for free...you can easily get through all the content within that time.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vitality
    @GrandSymbiote94 said:
    "i was about to get it after looking for it for a month and the guy at the game store told me that the game was horrible and told me to get champions online he said it was a better superhero game "

That's funny because that's exactly what I said to the employee at Gamestop when I took DCU Online back.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar

yeah I'm going to be the dissenting opinion. DCUO is a fantastic game.  

Champions Online gives you all your costume options at once, DCUO makes you earn it, which is what a game is supposed to do, this isn't a dress up doll it's a hero.  Beyond that Champions fails in its combat system against  DCUO.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut#p/c/79D6CBCD9C05FD17 
    Above is a playlist of a pretty good gaming critic.

Within the power sets you have a move list, the move list gives you different ways to interact with the powers.I have a hand blasting Fire DPSer and a One handed Fire tank(Same guy) and the way they interact is very different.

The game's current flaw is the dev team, they're most likely snorting whole rocks of crack. It's worth a couple of months play still though.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vitality
    @TheCrowbar said:
    "yeah I'm going to be the dissenting opinion. DCUO is a fantastic game.    Champions Online gives you all your costume options at once, DCUO makes you earn it, which is what a game is supposed to do, this isn't a dress up doll it's a hero.  Beyond that Champions fails in its combat system against  DCUO.   http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut#p/c/79D6CBCD9C05FD17  Above is a playlist of a pretty good gaming critic.  Within the power sets you have a move list, the move list gives you different ways to interact with the powers.I have a hand blasting Fire DPSer and a One handed Fire tank(Same guy) and the way they interact is very different.  The game's current flaw is the dev team, they're most likely snorting whole rocks of crack. It's worth a couple of months play still though. "

Well...since you're going at CO. 

For a superhero game...I believe you should have all the costume options right away. It allows you to create the hero you want to create. 

Same goes for power customization.  

For example...if I want to Tank in DCUO...I'm forced into powersets like fire and ice. 

In Champions Online...you can literally create your hero how you want and have them perform how you want. 

Character customization: Champions Online basically gives you complete control over the look of your character while in DCUO...you will end up with the same face, stance and body type as just about everyone else.

As for the combat...this is just perspective...as I believe Champions Online combat to be the better.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vitality

Not to mention the fact that DCUO wants you to look like an already established character with all the costume pieces that should just be for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc... 

Also...you're basically their "sidekick"...and I use that term loosely because you're actually lower than that. 

I can see how some people would like DCUO...but in the MMO department....Champions Online is far beyond DCUO. 

ALSO...YOU CAN PLAY CHAMPIONS ONLINE FOR FREE.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEGRAAF

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm guessing it's not actually possible but i wanted to create a create with the abilities of Doomsday but most likely be a good guy
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vitality
    @DEGRAAF said:

"Thanks for all the help guys. I'm guessing it's not actually possible but i wanted to create a create with the abilities of Doomsday but most likely be a good guy "

This is possible in Champions Online. 

Though, obviously you won't be fighting DC heroes or villains.
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Valtot
    @DEGRAAF:

what do you mean the abilities of doomsday? you could make a giant dude that looks similiar to doomsday but he wont have the adapting ability, i made a character just like martain manhunter, one just like superman, one just like flash, one just like steel but with ice powers, one just like a boy wonder- woman who has the lasso and shield and everything and you can even wear the special armours like wonderwomans special armour but mines a boy version, still cool but honestly you will find the game boring and hard from the start if your not lucky but once you hit around level 15+ its kinda good if youv got a few friends to play with online and do special missions with, plus you can just randomly pvp at certain points in a random area flying around which is the reason i use flying style to sorta hunt people down in it as flight in pvp is a massive advantage, though there still gonna keep bringing in new things for it so you could just wait a few months or a year till more people are playing and theres more stuff in the game than it would be funner, but yea im not sure its for everybody but i find i enjoy it alot with the different costumes, armours, powers you can get and for powers its not simply ice/fire/mental/sorcery/nature theres also the iconic powers which allows you to have the abilities of big DC characters thats how i created my superman and wonderwoman style chars, but yea if you brought it youd have to put effort into it at the start otherwise you might just quit but you should probalby wait a few more months if you were gonna get it for more players and things the game
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vitality
    @Valtot said:

"@DEGRAAF: what do you mean the abilities of doomsday? you could make a giant dude that looks similiar to doomsday but he wont have the adapting ability "

Yes...but you can't just make a super strong character without being extremely gimped...because you are almost forced to use certain powers depending on your role to be of any value on teams...and solo. Not to mention the fact that you have to wait 20-22 levels just to get Super Strength.

That reason there was one of the big reasons why I only had the game for a week.     

That was basically my test for DCUO and Champions Online. 
    Q: Which game allows me to create Vitality the way I want?  
    A: Champions Online
    Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Aiden Cross

I have it and found it fun for a couple of months. But it doesn't really have any longevity, it's too easy and there's too little to do in my opinion to warrant playing it for a long time. So if you're planning on having a couple of months of fun with it, then by all means i recommend it! If your plan is to play it a long time, i'd suggest picking another game.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Manchine

Yeah its not possible Degraaf with DCU Online.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.