Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Will Elseworlds ever come back?

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

I know some of the stories were a bit uncreative and were basically "let's put this character in another time period and go in the most predictable way there is!" but I believe there's still some great potential for stories there and they should be brought back. Sure, we have the Earth One books but come on, that's like saying movies count as Elseworlds or that the Ultimate universe counts as a What If?, they're alternate realities, they don't serve the same purpose

What do you guys think? Do you want Elseworlds back? Will they ever come back?

(And yes I know about Last family of Krypton but that was years ago)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd love if DC brings back Elseworlds.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

I'd love if DC brings back Elseworlds.

Me too man, I really miss 'em... although that may have to do with the fact I only recently got into them so I feel cheated out with their current nonexistence :p

BTW, what would you say are your favorite Elseworlds?

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets see....

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Will Damian 666 or whatever it's called count?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jldoom: Arkham Asylum : ASHOSE, Batman : Red Rain, TDKR, Gotham By Gaslight, Kingdom Come, Superman : Red Son.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RustyRoy
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It never left. DC just calls it the "New" 52 now, or sometimes, "Earth One".

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Will Damian 666 or whatever it's called count?

yea I'm pretty sure it is

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NovaRichRider

Earth 2 is an elseworld book and in my opinion the best DC ongoing.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Nice choices, of those I've only read TDKR and the last two but I really want to read Gotham by Gaslight since it's the first Elseworlds ever made. Mine would be the New Frontier, the Nail, Kingdom Come, the Golden Age and Red Son.

@v_scarlotte_rose: It's closer to an Elseworlds than Batman Beyond was but it has some pretty heavy roots on current canon so I'd say no.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earth 2 is an elseworld book and in my opinion the best DC ongoing.

I'll admit Earth 2 actually kinda counts since it does offer an alternate take on current characters, however I still miss actual Elseworlds.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Its more like an alternate timeline but not really an Elseworld but still pretty close.

@jldoom: I've read Nail, it was great and I've never read New Frontier but I've heard nothing but great things about it.

owl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elseworlds was a real hoot!

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC never officially ended the line, did they? The last book to carry the Elseworlds tag was Last Family of Krypton published in 2011. So I don't think the line is dead, DC has just been neglecting it for years.

I'd like DC to bring it back. Kingdom Come is my all-time favourite miniseries. Yeah, there were a bunch of crappy elseworlds books, but there were plenty of great books. Both TDKR and KC were elseworlds (TDKR was before it was officially a line, but I count it) and they both had huge influences on the industry; some even consider the beginning and the end of the Dark Age were marked by TDKR and KC respectively.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ColonelRunAway

At this point, DC barely has enough regular creators to man their ongoings, let alone a series of one shots.

If they brought in major talents and let them do something with DC characters but without any restraints, then sure, we could get another Kingdom Come or Red Sun to jumpstart interest in them again. But I'd say it's a lot more likely it'd go something like Marvel's What If? event tie-ins: some inexperienced or untalented names from the bottom of the barrel are brought in to do something that requires no substance, because it'll make decent money off the "What if Batman was a _______" cover alone.

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I want them because I want my Aquaman elseworlds

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have read some Son of the Demon, Bride of the Demon, Gotham by Gaslight, Master of the Future, Joker, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE and TDKR. Joker being the favourite and TDKR in the bottom. As I see it an overrated book that has the worst phasing in the world with a lot of small panels that do nothing but irritates me a lot, they do nothing for the story (I'm talking about the panels from the studio where panels could have been cut down a lot. The whole mutant thing also seemed like they didn't fit in. I was more intrested in how Green Arrow lost his arm than the story.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read that wrong- thought you wrote ELFworld

No Caption Provided

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: You definitely gotta read New Frontier one of these days. It's one of the best comic books I've ever read and my favorite one overall.

@rdclip: But why have they neglected them? That's what I dont get. Some of them rank among the best stories DC has ever produced and the idea of an Elseworld is always appealing if you ask me.

They shouldn't force them, though. Only make one when someone has a good idea (even better if that someone is a renowned writer), not because they felt the world really needed a new Batman Elseworld or something like that.

@tupiaz: Man, you sure have missed out on a lot of them :p

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

With all the rebooting and multiple dimensions everything might as well be Elseworlds already.

I do wish DC would bring Elseworlds back, though. There were a lot of great Elseworlds stories.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: Agreed. Pre52 seems like Elseworlds now.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By tupiaz

@jldoom said:

Not what I read most but for time to time I read them. Kingdom Come, Red Sun and Red Rain will probably be the next I will buy.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I think every once in a while they do one...although they haven't done one in ages.

Maybe the upcoming mini-series starring Damian Wayne will be an Elseworlds tale?

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@jldoom said:

Not what I read most but for time to time I read them. Kingdom Come, Red Sun and Red Rain will probably be the next I will buy.

Nice choices, I've never read Red Rain and don't really plan to but I can definitely vouch for Kingdom Come and Red Son!

Maybe the upcoming mini-series starring Damian Wayne will be an Elseworlds tale?

Like I said, I personally dont count it because it's an alternate timeline that has heavy roots in current canon. However, KC was sorta similar to that so.... maybe?

If DC decides to put an Elseworlds stamp on it I wont really complain especially if that means we'll be seeing more Elseworlds in the near future.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

flashpoint. technically an elseworld.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer said:

Hmm... not really since it's canon. I'd be interested in an Elseworlds series based on Flashpoint though, that world had potential.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Is it? It had repercussions on the main continuity, Barry and Booster were from the main continuity, and it caused the n52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.