Why I'm Quitting DC Comics

  • 59 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by RandomAtom (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Writer's Note: DCU = anything pre-New 52, New 52 = Crap

Recently writer James Robinson announced that Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, will be gay in his re-imagining of Earth-2. In the DCU, Earth-2 was commonly known as the golden age Earth where the superheroes of yesteryear continued their crime-fighting ways. This is a perfect analogy for what it is that DC does wrong and I'm sorry I wasn't able to put this up earlier. I was on vacation pretending that this wasn't a real thing and that it was simply a heat stroke induced dream. Robinson is known to push the limits of acceptability with comics, Starman is, in my opinion, one of the 5 greatest cape comics ever written. In it the son of the original, golden age Starman, finds himself in a situation forcing him to take up the mantle. He fights it every step of the way. The decision to make an established character such as Alan Scott a homosexual is not challenging the societal norms, in the DCU Alan's son, Obsidian, is gay. WHY NOT USE AN EXISTING CHARACTER? This is the last straw for me, I have decided to cancel subscriptions to DC comics entirely. I'm not leaving because they made a character gay, I'm leaving because a good company with great characters is being so mismanaged that it hurts me. DC has an incredibly diverse stable of characters to draw from, they put themselves in a position where they thought they needed to reinvent the wheel, but all they had to do was to update the status quo. Change the front line of DC so that some of your more diverse characters are integral to storylines and essential to the universe. I weighed the pros and cons for all the New 52 DC books and I will put that list up, but this is the end for me. DC has always been a part of my life, but no longer. What's worse is I don't feel like I'm breaking up with them, I feel like they broke up with me. No longer are they a company for the longtime fan. They are here for those who don't know any better, and I do. No doubt they will continue to use Jim Aparo's Batman on shoes, John Byrne's Superman on t-shirts and Gil Kane's Green Lantern on lunchboxes, but that DC is dead. Those characters don't exist anymore. If you want to know about them go to a comic shop that sells back issues and trades and gobble those up. Maybe if people buy more of John Byrne's The Man of Steel, or The Legends of the Dark Knight they will switch things back to the way they should be, but for now I'm simply too burnt out to care. So the Joker had his face cut off, so Superman isn't in to Lois, so Billy Batson is a jerk, all I have to say is this isn't my DC, not anymore.

#1 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Good luck with your future reading :).

Come to Indie comics, we have cookies.

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

@ReVamp said:

Come to Indie comics, we have cookies.

Cookies eh?

Moderator
#3 Posted by Billy Batson (57916 posts) - - Show Bio

You'll be back.
BB

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

@ReVamp said:

Come to Indie comics, we have cookies.

Cookies eh?

Cookies fo shizzle.

#5 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad to see you go, but I actually like what they did with DC so far. I guess one of those rare minorities. XD

#6 Posted by RandomAtom (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I know my local shop owner will be upset, but it isn't worth it to buy these things if I'm not enjoying them. I want stories, not publicity stunts.

#7 Posted by PowerHerc (82755 posts) - - Show Bio

@RandomAtom said:

No longer are they a company for the longtime fan. They are here for those who don't know any better, and I do. No doubt they will continue to use Jim Aparo's Batman on shoes, John Byrne's Superman on t-shirts and Gil Kane's Green Lantern on lunchboxes, but that DC is dead. Those characters don't exist anymore. If you want to know about them go to a comic shop that sells back issues and trades and gobble those up. Maybe if people buy more of John Byrne's The Man of Steel, or The Legends of the Dark Knight they will switch things back to the way they should be, but for now I'm simply too burnt out to care. So the Joker had his face cut off, so Superman isn't in to Lois, so Billy Batson is a jerk, all I have to say is this isn't my DC, not anymore.

Hear! Hear!

I agree 100% !

#8 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7710 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I truly like 100% about the New 52 is Aquaman. The rest of it is just decent.

#9 Posted by longbowhunter (7027 posts) - - Show Bio

@RandomAtom:

Nice article! I like a lot of what DC is currently doing, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Batman, Batman and Robin, Aquaman, Green Lantern Corps, all fantastic reads. Much of it I do not, No more Secret Six, Babs as Batgirl again and Oliver Queen. Like anything else you take the good with the bad. I had a bit of an issue with DC turning a character gay, but its a reboot this isnt the Golden Age Alan Scott we are used to, so I'm over it. But you make a very valid point in saying "Change the frontline". There is no reason Obsidian couldnt have been an "A" list character in this book. You'll have tremendous luck with Image. They're spinning gold right now.

#10 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5348 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp

Good luck with your future reading :).

Come to Indie comics, we have cookies.

Lol!! This. The cookies are delicious.
#11 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

@ReVamp said:

Come to Indie comics, we have cookies.

Cookies eh?

Cookies fo shizzle.

I'm not much of an indie fan besides for The Walking Dead. Anything you'd recommend me?

Moderator
#12 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I'm not much of an indie fan besides for The Walking Dead. Anything you'd recommend me?

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.
#13 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE a portion of the New 52. Batman, Batman and Robin, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Red Hood and the Outlaws are the books I'm still buying. However, I can completely, 100% see your point. I agree that the old DCU was in a rough state of being, and they needed a change; the problem is that for every necessary one, they have introduced two completely unnecessary changes. There was no reason to make Alan Scott gay; especially not when they could just as easily have used his pre-existing gay son. This is just one example of course, but it seems to be the popular one right now.

That being said, fill the void with Image Comics. They've been putting out a lot of great stuff lately. There are also a couple Top Cow titles worth reading, though they are few and far between.

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.


Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied.  
 
Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all. 
#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I'm not much of an indie fan besides for The Walking Dead. Anything you'd recommend me?

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.

I definitely have to check out The Darkness, especially considering how much I love the first game. Top Cow right? I don't know how I haven't picked up Invincible yet :P And how does the Wanted series compare to the film (besides Wesley not looking like Eminem lol)?

Moderator
#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

Lmao, it's all good dude. Batman seemed mostly unchanged to me, as did Nightwing, but I'm not as knowledgeable in the other titles I guess. Didn't mean to anger you by posting that :P

Moderator
#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

Lmao, it's all good dude. Batman seemed mostly unchanged to me, as did Nightwing, but I'm not as knowledgeable in the other titles I guess. Didn't mean to anger you by posting that :P

Not your fault, you're just reiterating what DC have said. You weren't to know THEY'RE LYING B*STARDS lol
#18 Edited by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

They've kept a lot of continuity compared to other families, but I agree that they've changed.

Can I get a link, or pointer to one of these explanations?

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.

I definitely have to check out The Darkness, especially considering how much I love the first game. Top Cow right? I don't know how I haven't picked up Invincible yet :P And how does the Wanted series compare to the film (besides Wesley not looking like Eminem lol)?

The Darkness is different from the games, but its still pretty good. I'm not sure its as "top quality" level as a lot of people expect, but its pretty interesting read nonetheless. Top Cow is releasing both this and Witchblade in "Compendium" collections, which collect 50 issues of said title. Currently there's one for Darkness and Two for Witchblade, though they are going to release another for the Darkness in the 10th of July and another for the Witchblade in the 17th (of July.)

GO PICK IT UP.

Wanted is completely different from the film. They relate in that they are both kids, who had a badass dad. That's about it. In the comics, the "Loom of Fate" doesn't exist, they aren't Assassin's but Supervillains, etc etc... If its comparable in any other way than the two I previously mentioned, it'd be in just badassness levels, and yes I just made that word up.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

Lmao, it's all good dude. Batman seemed mostly unchanged to me, as did Nightwing, but I'm not as knowledgeable in the other titles I guess. Didn't mean to anger you by posting that :P

Not your fault, you're just reiterating what DC have said. You weren't to know THEY'RE LYING B*STARDS lol

I said this in another thread but the way I see it, what Marvel/DC (especially DC) have been doing lately with their comics is trying to appeal to new readers and fans of the films, tv, etc but that's where the problem lies. The majority of those people will NEVER pick up a comic and DC has screwed their loyal fans over in favour for "potential" new ones.

Moderator
#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not use an existing character? Because there is no iconic Earth-2 characters that are gay. Why not create an original character? Because pepole wouldn't accept a new character suddenly becoming the leader of the Justice Society  

#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.

I definitely have to check out The Darkness, especially considering how much I love the first game. Top Cow right? I don't know how I haven't picked up Invincible yet :P And how does the Wanted series compare to the film (besides Wesley not looking like Eminem lol)?

The Darkness is different from the games, but its still pretty good. I'm not sure its as "top quality" level as a lot of people expect, but its pretty interesting read nonetheless. Top Cow is releasing both this and Witchblade in "Compendium" collections, which collect 50 issues of said title. Currently there's one for Darkness and Two for Witchblade, though they are going to release another for the Darkness in the 10th of July and another for the Witchblade in the 17th (of July.)

GO PICK IT UP.

Wanted is completely different from the film. They relate in that they are both kids, who had a badass dad. That's about it. In the comics, the "Loom of Fate" doesn't exist, they aren't Assassin's but Supervillains, etc etc... If its comparable in any other way than the two I previously mentioned, it'd be in just badassness levels, and yes I just made that word up.

LOL! The Darkness is officially on my go-to list now, but didn't they officially hit issue #100 not too long ago? Would I be lost if I started from there or should I just start from the beginning.

Moderator
#23 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

They've kept a lot of continuity compared to other families, but I agree that they've changed.

Can I get a link, or pointer to one of these explanations?

Can't find them, they're somewhere in Off Topic. I'll just repeat myself; 
 
Basically these events are what no longer happened (doesn't matter if DC said it happened, like Bruce creating Brother Eye or Dick being Batman, it creates a total continuity black hole, and therefore must be ignored) 
 
  • Bruce didn't help defeat the Hyperclan, as the Hyperclan never existed
  • Bruce never went through Nanda Parbat and endured the numerous trials that allowed him to overcome the Black Glove
  • He didn't create Brother Eye
  • Hal Jordan never went nutso, meaning that the main catalyst for Bruce's paranoia and mistrust of other heroes NEVER HAPPENED
  • No Tower of Babel
  • Bruce was never hit with the Omega Sanction
  • Bruce never traversed time and survived said Omega Sanction
  • Consequently; Where the Hell was he during Blackest Night?!
  • Dick never became Batman because Bruce never "died"
  • Tim's Red Robin run (heheh, that was fun to say) never happened, which was (arguably) character-defining on a scale we haven't seen for Tim since A Lonely Place of Dying
  • No Insider Armor
Now on their own, those might not seem that big of a deal, except that added together, they removed ALL OF BRUCE'S PREP AND TECH FEATS. All of them, any time he proved himself as "the most dangerous man on Earth", or a worthy member of the Justice League has been completely white-washed.  
#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@ReVamp said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

They've kept a lot of continuity compared to other families, but I agree that they've changed.

Can I get a link, or pointer to one of these explanations?

Can't find them, they're somewhere in Off Topic. I'll just repeat myself; 
 
Basically these events are what no longer happened (doesn't matter if DC said it happened, like Bruce creating Brother Eye or Dick being Batman, it creates a total continuity black hole, and therefore must be ignored) 
 
  • Bruce didn't help defeat the Hyperclan, as the Hyperclan never existed
  • Bruce never went through Nanda Parbat and endured the numerous trials that allowed him to overcome the Black Glove
  • He didn't create Brother Eye
  • Hal Jordan never went nutso, meaning that the main catalyst for Bruce's paranoia and mistrust of other heroes NEVER HAPPENED
  • No Tower of Babel
  • Bruce was never hit with the Omega Sanction
  • Bruce never traversed time and survived said Omega Sanction
  • Consequently; Where the Hell was he during Blackest Night?!
  • Dick never became Batman because Bruce never "died"
  • Tim's Red Robin run (heheh, that was fun to say) never happened, which was (arguably) character-defining on a scale we haven't seen for Tim since A Lonely Place of Dying
  • No Insider Armor
Now on their own, those might not seem that big of a deal, except that added together, they removed ALL OF BRUCE'S PREP AND TECH FEATS. All of them, any time he proved himself as "the most dangerous man on Earth", or a worthy member of the Justice League has been completely white-washed.  
That still happened, even if it didn't go down the way wee all read about it, it must have happened has Nightwing said it in issue #1
#25 Posted by Wyldsong (5320 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I'm not much of an indie fan besides for The Walking Dead. Anything you'd recommend me?

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.

I definitely have to check out The Darkness, especially considering how much I love the first game. Top Cow right? I don't know how I haven't picked up Invincible yet :P And how does the Wanted series compare to the film (besides Wesley not looking like Eminem lol)?

Just about anything Top Cow is well worth the read in my opinion. I'll also throw this out there, I've been reading two titles from Dynamite as of late, Red Sonja and Vampirella -- while not ground shaking, both have been fun reads. Over at Aspen, check out Lady Mechanika and Fathom. Zenescope has a few worth looking into -- The Waking, Fly, Salem's Daughter, the Grimm stuff...there is a ton of good stuff.

Oh, and if you like the horror themed stuff, then you can also check out Hack Slash (started out at Devil's Due, and is now an Image title).

Seriously, there is a ton of good stuff to check out.

#26 Posted by Wyldsong (5320 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I'm not much of an indie fan besides for The Walking Dead. Anything you'd recommend me?

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.

You are missing out=P

#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@ReVamp said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

They've kept a lot of continuity compared to other families, but I agree that they've changed.

Can I get a link, or pointer to one of these explanations?

Can't find them, they're somewhere in Off Topic. I'll just repeat myself; 
 
Basically these events are what no longer happened 

(doesn't matter if DC said it happened, like Bruce creating Brother Eye or Dick being Batman, it creates a total continuity black hole, and therefore must be ignored) 

 
  • Bruce didn't help defeat the Hyperclan, as the Hyperclan never existed
  • Bruce never went through Nanda Parbat and endured the numerous trials that allowed him to overcome the Black Glove
  • He didn't create Brother Eye
  • Hal Jordan never went nutso, meaning that the main catalyst for Bruce's paranoia and mistrust of other heroes NEVER HAPPENED
  • No Tower of Babel
  • Bruce was never hit with the Omega Sanction
  • Bruce never traversed time and survived said Omega Sanction
  • Consequently; Where the Hell was he during Blackest Night?!
  • Dick never became Batman because Bruce never "died"
  • Tim's Red Robin run (heheh, that was fun to say) never happened, which was (arguably) character-defining on a scale we haven't seen for Tim since A Lonely Place of Dying
  • No Insider Armor
Now on their own, those might not seem that big of a deal, except that added together, they removed ALL OF BRUCE'S PREP AND TECH FEATS. All of them, any time he proved himself as "the most dangerous man on Earth", or a worthy member of the Justice League has been completely white-washed.  
That still happened, even if it didn't go down the way wee all read about it, it must have happened has Nightwing said it in issue #1
See the part in big letters. 
#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@ReVamp said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

They've kept a lot of continuity compared to other families, but I agree that they've changed.

Can I get a link, or pointer to one of these explanations?

Can't find them, they're somewhere in Off Topic. I'll just repeat myself; 
 
Basically these events are what no longer happened 

(doesn't matter if DC said it happened, like Bruce creating Brother Eye or Dick being Batman, it creates a total continuity black hole, and therefore must be ignored) 

 
  • Bruce didn't help defeat the Hyperclan, as the Hyperclan never existed
  • Bruce never went through Nanda Parbat and endured the numerous trials that allowed him to overcome the Black Glove
  • He didn't create Brother Eye
  • Hal Jordan never went nutso, meaning that the main catalyst for Bruce's paranoia and mistrust of other heroes NEVER HAPPENED
  • No Tower of Babel
  • Bruce was never hit with the Omega Sanction
  • Bruce never traversed time and survived said Omega Sanction
  • Consequently; Where the Hell was he during Blackest Night?!
  • Dick never became Batman because Bruce never "died"
  • Tim's Red Robin run (heheh, that was fun to say) never happened, which was (arguably) character-defining on a scale we haven't seen for Tim since A Lonely Place of Dying
  • No Insider Armor
Now on their own, those might not seem that big of a deal, except that added together, they removed ALL OF BRUCE'S PREP AND TECH FEATS. All of them, any time he proved himself as "the most dangerous man on Earth", or a worthy member of the Justice League has been completely white-washed.  
That still happened, even if it didn't go down the way wee all read about it, it must have happened has Nightwing said it in issue #1
See the part in big letters. 
yea, I see it
#29 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

See the part in big letters.

Yeah. I see what you mean, I don't agree with it though.

#30 Posted by Wyldsong (5320 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

Haven't read TWD. But.

  • The Darkness (Along with the rest of the that family. Includes Witchblade, Magdalena, Angelus etc...)
  • Hunter-Killer, undoubtedly and their crossover
  • Invincible, without question.
  • Wanted, if you just want a little badass something. It may not be a good story per se.
  • Usagi Yojimbo, if you're feeling something that's just fcking different.

I definitely have to check out The Darkness, especially considering how much I love the first game. Top Cow right? I don't know how I haven't picked up Invincible yet :P And how does the Wanted series compare to the film (besides Wesley not looking like Eminem lol)?

The Darkness is different from the games, but its still pretty good. I'm not sure its as "top quality" level as a lot of people expect, but its pretty interesting read nonetheless. Top Cow is releasing both this and Witchblade in "Compendium" collections, which collect 50 issues of said title. Currently there's one for Darkness and Two for Witchblade, though they are going to release another for the Darkness in the 10th of July and another for the Witchblade in the 17th (of July.)

GO PICK IT UP.

Wanted is completely different from the film. They relate in that they are both kids, who had a badass dad. That's about it. In the comics, the "Loom of Fate" doesn't exist, they aren't Assassin's but Supervillains, etc etc... If its comparable in any other way than the two I previously mentioned, it'd be in just badassness levels, and yes I just made that word up.

LOL! The Darkness is officially on my go-to list now, but didn't they officially hit issue #100 not too long ago? Would I be lost if I started from there or should I just start from the beginning.

Start from the beginning. Comixology has the compendium (41 issues) for a good price, or you can buy them up in the volumes to play catch up.

http://www.comixology.com/The-Darkness/comics-series/3977

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wyldsong said:

You are missing out=P

I know. I have to finish reading my Darkness things though, I'm 25 issues or so behind.

And yeah

#32 Posted by Wyldsong (5320 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Wyldsong said:

You are missing out=P

I know. I have to finish reading my Darkness things though, I'm 25 issues or so behind.

And yeah

Yeah, I am a little behind on the Darkness as well. Funny, we are about the same amount of issues behind=)

Aspen has some good stuff, although with Lady Mechanika, Benitez is taking his time releasing those. Fathom, you can get the volumes fairly easily. I think it is up to volume 3 by now.

#33 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: The problem is that we've (the fans) just been told to accept these things as having happened even though it makes no f*cking sense. Just making Bruce paranoid and getting rid of the reasons behind it is the sort of terrible writing that you'd expect from an episode of Ultimate Spider-Man. Characters who just gain traits because why the f*ck not lack development and meaning. Bruce being paranoid just because he used to be, despite having no reason to be now, is just lazy writing, and an example of having your cake and eating too.  
 
Just because DC say that Bruce died doesn't mean anything. They could change it so that he was hit by a car and then resurrected by Kid Eternity during a drunk game of "Truth or Dare".  Bruce dying doesn't mean sh*t unless the story that resulted in his death was meaningful. Reason that no one cares about the comic "the Death of Wolverine" is because it didn't matter and it sucked.  
Final Crisis and the accompanying RIP and Return of BW were tremendous and served an explicit purpose, which has now been taken away for convenience. But we're supposed to accept that because DC said the most basic elements still happened?  
 
Laziness like that is why the literary community see comic books as a medium for simpletons.  
 
(All of Johns' GL is 100% canon including BN, funny that >_>)
#34 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: WOAH, hold the front door. I said that it was cannon, since DC dictates what is and isn't. I never said it was good for the character, or anything that relates to the past, really.

#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: I know, mate, not having a go at you, just frustrates the hell out of me. 
#36 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ReVamp: I know, mate, not having a go at you, just frustrates the hell out of me.

I know you're not and I definitely feel where you're coming from.

#37 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@RandomAtom: Just curious, are you interested in why I'm NOT quitting DC comics?

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The majority of the Bat-family is unchanged, but good luck mate.

Yes they are. Refer to one of the other times I've explained why. I almost have an aneurysm every time someone says this, and it's not their fault. DC lied. Sorry if I seem hostile, I'm not having a shot at you at all.

I should know better to jump into this, but I'm foolishly optimistic I suppose... I think a better way of putting it is that a majority of the Bat-family is unchanged to an extent that most fans have either noticed or cared... yes, the things that you have noted are potentially altered... I don't happen to agree with each of the bullets that you've provided, but again, that is my interpretation... sorry that you feel that its compromised your reading experience. I don't agree with the portrayal of the company as being maliciously intended, as I find it somewhat unlikely that they see "being lying bastards" as their best marketing strategy... that you feel somewhat ostracized by the changes may be an adverse effect of the overall implementation of things, and it may cause some, like OP, to quit DC comics... nevertheless, I think it is also rather natural for some fans, such as myself, to respond to such hostility with a balancing positive interpretation of events... for instance, I don't think that the 'continuity black hole' means that things MUST be ignored... they CAN be, but I choose not to.

#38 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@RandomAtom: I only needed to read your first sentence in that long nonsensical jargon you typed. But I did skim through the rest. What I gathered is that you're leaving DC comics because you despise change. This is among the most horrible posts I have ever skimmed. How do you expect a medium to grow when you yourself are unwilling to accept progress? DC had to do what they did so as not to exclude any demographic of person that reads their comics, and I believe it is a smart move. And for the record, I am not gay, but I do know what it means to be mis- or underrepresented in comics. I spend a lot of money on them, I'd like to see a shade of myself being written in these books by smart, capable writers.

If you don't like it, it isn't the comics' fault. It is your narrow-mindedness. I only needed to read a sentence of your jargon to figure you out, and to further defend my feelings toward three quarters of the people on this site.

#39 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wyldsong: Thanks for the recommendations!

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

(All of Johns' GL is 100% canon including BN, funny that >_>)

See that never made sense to me. Obviously he left it like that because the GL mythos has been his baby for the past near decade and doesn't want anything affecting it. But apparently everything else is game to get screwed over.

Moderator
#40 Posted by RandomAtom (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist: I'm absolutely interested in hearing why people are staying.

@Twentyfive: First, I enjoy change, I change my clothes everyday. My favorite part is when the dryer sheet gets stuck to my shirt and I smell like lilacs all day. I do not enjoy when my washer fills with sewage and instead of cleaning my clothes it makes them dirtier. Then I have to spend money and time shopping for and buying a new washer and they no longer match, one unit is clearly newer than the other. Do you see?

Addressing your other complaint, I think the medium is growing, I just don't think that the medium is growing with cape comics, barring a few notable exceptions (remember Xombi? Why cancel that?). I think that there are a lot of books out there that establish strong characters, from various backgrounds, and put them in challenging situations with positive results. Sure, they wanted to make sure that they weren't leaving out any demographic, but they already weren't. DC's LGBT Heroes (Pre-New 52): Obsidian, Apollo & Midnighter, Madame Xanadu, Extrano, Renee Montoya, Batwoman, Icemaiden, Pied Piper, Rainmaker. Bonus! Raped Heroes: Nightwing, Sue Dibney.

Thanks for figuring me out, please share your insights with me, hopefully it doesn't end up being "homophobic male" because that would not only be disappointing, but a false accusation.

#41 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@RandomAtom: I actually hear you on what you said, and admit I was ranting. It just seems to me like a lot of comic book readers just want to read the same things over and over, even after a relaunch of a title or universe. And that bugs me. I also agree that comics are not yet quite with the times and it's understandable to leave.

But that's what indie comics are for. People have complete creative freedom in creator-owned stuff. And about Xombi, they canceled that so that the writer can focus on Static Shock. That was canceled because DC has BAD EDITORS.

#42 Posted by NinaColada (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. It's not that I'm discriminating because he is homosexual, but because they changed an already well established character. It's the same for Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn. That was just sad. And disappointing. Quinn was one of my favourite comic book characters and to completely change not only her costuming but also her origin was too far. She is a completely different character now and it is just really disappointing. Thank you, DC.

Why can't they just bring in the characters without completely changing them. Sigh.

#43 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

welcome to indie comics.

suprised we lied about the cookies?

#44 Edited by Surkit (11282 posts) - - Show Bio

@RandomAtom: Funny thing is, I came here to say the same stuff nearly word for word lol

Alan Scott being gay is just ridiculous, and there way for challenging the fact that the new ultimate spider-man will be gay (which is just out right lazy on Marvels part, trying to lump every race and gender into one character) by making an awe and shock factor out of Scott being gay. It's rediculous. Not just because he's gay, but because they destroyed any chance of there being a new 52 jade that is still the same at her base, or an obsidian. And whats up with Garrick? If we're going to make anybody gay, why not this guy?

Omg! like, ratsss!

I liked the change to getting his abilities from the god of speed (basically), but to have that same god WEARING the iconic silver hat, only to have him wear a helmet he stole from ant-man. And why did the god of speed opt on making him look post-modern? Morons.

Mainly the thing that irks me, that really straight up pisses me off is that they have the balls to put out a movie, DC, thats' entire story is based on the old concept "if it ain't broken don't fix it" And then completely destroy their own roots! Congratulations DC

You managed to put dollar signs so far ahead of morality, that you killed an entire legacy.

Was it worth it, did the check come rolling in yet, will you sleep well knowing you helped destroy the idea of the classic iconic hero? do you even know the reverberations of this for kids who will one day become men who run this world we live in? Then again who cares? It's not like it's your problem, you just get paid to do your jobs right?

Destroy your past and you condemn your future...as well as everybody elses. Comics are more than just a few pages of art and text, they leave a mark on every person that reads them, wether those people admit it or not.

Thats all I've got to say, just needed to get it off my chest. It was a spur of the moment write up, sorry for the grammar, but I needed to say it while it was on the front of my mind

#45 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Surkit: Wow, melodramatic much? "You managed to put dollar signs so far ahead of morality, that you killed an entire legacy.

Was it worth it, did the check come rolling in yet, will you sleep well knowing you helped destroy the idea of the classic iconic hero? do you even know the reverberations of this for kids who will one day become men who run this world we live in? Then again who cares? It's not like it's your problem, you just get paid to do your jobs right?"

The creative teams at DC are freaking amazing. Sometimes things change and it sucks. The new 52 has given a much needed boost to DC sales. When it comes down to it would you rather have them fail and belly up or reboot and succede? And before you tell me "they didnt need to do this" or "why "destroy" great stuff already?" think about this. It's comic books. Its not an industry that is booming. Or has been for the last 35 years.

#46 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh.

I like it.

#47 Posted by ThatThorFan (951 posts) - - Show Bio

GO MARVEL WHEW WHOO!

#48 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

So you are quitting DC because, in the words of Phillip J. Fry, "Audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before."

#49 Posted by Surkit (11282 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon:

1. I'm not saying the entirety of the new 52 is bad, I'm saying this entire earth-2 is a farce that shouldn't have been so poorly executed. DC owes it's continued existance, low sales or high, to the characters from the Justice Society just as much as batman and superman. To take an old, unflawed concept and change it simply because it's old, is ridiculous. It's like me making the wheel an oval, simply because a circle got too familiar.

2. You didn't need to come at me like that, your not the C.E.O. of DC pal. And I will anyway: they didn't need to do it. It was a gimmicky joke. They make money, as an entire industry, off of cartoons, giant blockbuster film franchises, toys, etc. so to say they should be treated like the three legged one eyed dog that people barely want is so ignorant, if your so set on trying to explain things in the business sense. Their a juggernaut that is here and will be for many years to come, so stop trying to make it sound like their circling the drain and deserve my pity.

3. You clearly missed my point and then had the audacity to insult me. why don't you re-read and come up with more than an insult. I stand by what I said, they picked money over an ideal.

In short, this world is based off of more than just money. their is a part of the equation that those money grubbers don't understand because they have that mindset your trying to sell which is, "Give us a break we just wanna make money." That'd be well and good if they ran a paper stand inside of an old hotdog cart, but they have an obligation and responsibility to think past the $, and it's pathetic how little the people behind DC think of their company and selves to not beleive they hold childrens minds in the palms of their hands.

#50 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Surkit: @Surkit said:

@SavageDragon:

1. I'm not saying the entirety of the new 52 is bad, I'm saying this entire earth-2 is a farce that shouldn't have been so poorly executed. DC owes it's continued existance, low sales or high, to the characters from the Justice Society just as much as batman and superman. To take an old, unflawed concept and change it simply because it's old, is ridiculous. It's like me making the wheel an oval, simply because a circle got too familiar.

2. You didn't need to come at me like that, your not the C.E.O. of DC pal. And I will anyway: they didn't need to do it. It was a gimmicky joke. They make money, as an entire industry, off of cartoons, giant blockbuster film franchises, toys, etc. so to say they should be treated like the three legged one eyed dog that people barely want is so ignorant, if your so set on trying to explain things in the business sense. Their a juggernaut that is here and will be for many years to come, so stop trying to make it sound like their circling the drain and deserve my pity.

3. You clearly missed my point and then had the audacity to insult me. why don't you re-read and come up with more than an insult. I stand by what I said, they picked money over an ideal.

In short, this world is based off of more than just money. their is a part of the equation that those money grubbers don't understand because they have that mindset your trying to sell which is, "Give us a break we just wanna make money." That'd be well and good if they ran a paper stand inside of an old hotdog cart, but they have an obligation and responsibility to think past the $, and it's pathetic how little the people behind DC think of their company and selves to not beleive they hold childrens minds in the palms of their hands.

There was no insult made I "came at you a certain way"?. Your being dramatic thats not an insult, its just how you painted a picture. I quote "To take an old, unflawed concept and change it simply because it's old, is ridiculous. It's like me making the wheel an oval, simply because a circle got too familiar." Thats not what they did. They wanted to get people excited again to read Earth 2. I know for a fact at my LCS Ive heard people discuss that long running established team books are intimidating to just pick up because there is so much history and pre reading a person must do to catch up. While it might hurt the feelings of an established fan like yourself, in the long run its for the good of the industry to re start or re boot certain characters and books.You have your opinion and I have mine. I was never insulting. Furthermore being a Juggernaut in the comic book industry...well is just like what it sounds like. Not that big. I hope your right about them being around for a long time because when writers and artists get into this business its out of love, not money. I support the changes so that those brilliant people can keep on keeping on creating fun for us all. I mean really comic books have such a narrow demographic they aim for, single males from 14-25 I just hope they can survive.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.