Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Why does DC keep changing the look of Green Arrow..??

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Other heroes like Batman and Superman have this general face and body and suit structure that is maintained in all their books and they have the same look in guest appearances as well. On the other hand, GA looks completely different in each run he has and also in other books and guest appearances. The best and most closely related look according to me is Lemire's run and his current look in Justice League International!!

Is it reaaly that hard to maintain a certain look??

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other heroes like Batman and Superman have this general face and body and suit structure that is maintained in all their books and they have the same look in guest appearances as well. On the other hand, GA looks completely different in each run he has and also in other books and guest appearances. The best and most closely related look according to me is Lemire's run and his current look in Justice League International!!

Changing the look of Batman or Superman is tantamount to blasphemy.

But Oliver isn't the only one who changes suits often. Wonder Woman almost always has a new suit, too. I think part of it is just there are a lot of people who have new designs for the GA suit and since it's already established he can look a few different ways and still keep with the archer motif, they can change it around.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @abdullahzubair said:

Changing the look of Batman or Superman is tantamount to blasphemy.

But Oliver isn't the only one who changes suits often. Wonder Woman almost always has a new suit, too. I think part of it is just there are a lot of people who have new designs for the GA suit and since it's already established he can look a few different ways and still keep with the archer motif, they can change it around.

Yeah but giving him a full plastic surgery is also blasphemy!!! And how can youexplan the beard one day, no beard next day to beard next day as well as the long hair/ soldier cut change!!!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

: @scouterv said:

@abdullahzubair: Shaving and timeskips.

Come one man, how many ties does an average man change his facial hairstyle..??

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair: I generally hate facial hair, so I shave once in awhile since mine doesn't grow well anyway. So...maybe not the best guy to ask.

And in all fairness, I don't really see Oliver as average.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair: a lot if you're blessed with the ability to grow a beard. You can go goatee, switch to a van dyke ( classic GA), full beard, to clean shaven etc. Maybe that's what Ollie does.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: You can, but you don't change that much, especially if you are a high society figure like Ollie!!!
    What if someone finds out that he is the GReen Arrow just by comparing both of their facial features!!!

And forget facial feature, what a bout a general face structure??? Bruce Wayne always looks like Bruce Wayne no matter the artist and so does Clark. But ollie is hard to keep up with when he is not in his suit due to being part in different books!

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Green Arrow used to always have the facial up until the New 52 and that pretty much distinguished him from the rest.

Green Arrow's history so far in the New 52 has pretty much just been throwing new things at him and seeing what works.

Honestly, I kinda like him clean shaved. Especially how he was originally drawn though I think facial hair is a lot more fitting how the Green Arrow has traditionally behaved.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair: If someone has a lot of hair they generally don't stay with one style their entire life

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think it works, Green Arrow is like a peoples champion, and much like real people, he isn't limited to one look, he evolves

I don't know which run is counted as more famous, Grells run, or Neil Adams GL/GA, but either way, neither was his first look, and they both made the look they wanted

throughout the New 52 he maintained one look, and in the current run you can see he still has the old costume, but like a real person he might have felt it was time for a change

No Caption Provided

personally like this one, he now has his first ever chest symbol, something that can be printed on a shirt or something

and with this new look came the return of his social voice(or at least the comic itself is speaking on social issues), so I can't be mad at it, just part of his evolution

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's just because (purely from a visual design perspective) Green Arrow is a poorly designed superhero. He is and has always been a little too "on the nose" - his name is Green Arrow, he wears green and fights with arrows. It's not what you'd call "inspired"

The main thing Green Arrow has always lacked is a symbol. He doesn't have an "it's-not-an-S" S, he doesn't have a bat, he doesn't have a lantern, he doesn't have a lightning bolt. He is a man in a green hood (or a green hat, depending on the era).

Nothing about his design is actually unique or interesting, and as such DC can change it around as much as they like. When a character has no iconic look other than "wears green" you can pretty much do whatever you want without upsetting anyone. Changing the design of Batman or Superman is a big deal, changing the look of Green Arrow is such a small deal most people don't even know it's happened.

That might change now though. His most recent design finally has a symbol (a literal green arrow) which is a strong point, especially from a marketing perspective. When a character has a logo, they become instantly more recognisable. If it takes off, that arrow on Oliver's chest could become an iconic symbol over time, which would lead to more consistency in his costume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.