Why does DC have issue 0 events?

#1 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, couldn't the books had just explain what happened before the issue instead of having 52 issues dedicated to telling what happen before?

#2 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#3 Posted by Cap10nate (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: They definitely could have just tossed in the back stories in the regular stories but having a #0 issue makes for another 'special' issue that people have to buy. So I think it is mostly a sales gimmick, but it does have some merit to it. Since they completely revamped the entire universe, I think that they wanted to tell a year of stories to get people hooked without having to slowly fill in background that might drag out stories. By having a 0 issue, they can have a special issue that should provide the clarity that we need while boosting their sales as people will be more likely to pick up other title's 0 issue so that they can get a glimpse of how the rest of the universe has been set up.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Marvel have point derp issues?
BB

#5 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@moywar700: They definitely could have just tossed in the back stories in the regular stories but having a #0 issue makes for another 'special' issue that people have to buy. So I think it is mostly a sales gimmick, but it does have some merit to it. Since they completely revamped the entire universe, I think that they wanted to tell a year of stories to get people hooked without having to slowly fill in background that might drag out stories. By having a 0 issue, they can have a special issue that should provide the clarity that we need while boosting their sales as people will be more likely to pick up other title's 0 issue so that they can get a glimpse of how the rest of the universe has been set up.

This.

#6 Posted by TruSoul (8 posts) - - Show Bio

It is highly imperative that DC launch 52 zero issues because it provides yet another chance to bring in more new readers as well as give much need origin stories that help to better flush out characters for those who began reading the New 52 from the beginning. Also, for those of us who missed issues #1 at launch the #0 issues are a must have. I missed issues 1 of Blue Beetle, Superboy, Aquaman and Batman and so these 0 issues are a blessing for my sister and I.

#7 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it really does come down to sales. It's a special release that people will be compelled to buy. At the same time, it does reveal some details that were missing before. At the very least, it did serve as an introduction to the new Green Lantern, and finally revealed the background to Phantom Stranger.

#8 Posted by Marco_Kidd (365 posts) - - Show Bio

@TruSoul: you could always just buy the comics you missed online.

#9 Posted by Marco_Kidd (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not have #0's? its a cool idea.

#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Why does Marvel have point derp issues?
BB

LOL

#11 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read all the Zero issues but the ones I did read acted more like Marvel's point one issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.