Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Why do you prefer DC to Marvel?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

..Just wondering, as Marvel are probably the more popular choice amongst the general population due to all their films. Just interested In why DC fans prefer DC. Is it a long standing love of the characters, such as Supes, batman etc, or you prefer the writing?

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JulieDC

For me its a combination of several things. For one, I grew up with DC's cartoons, TV shows, and movies which allowed me to know who is who, their powers and their rogues. So I felt more confident going in. Secondly, I find that DC has the kind of heroes and stories I am looking for. I am not interested in flawed heroes or hero vs. hero, I much prefer traditional superhero stories. I also loved that DC wasn't ashamed of their past and embraced even the more wackier things such as Robin and find a way to make it work. In fact, I loved that each hero had his own city and supporting cast of heroes essentially creating individual mythos that could be read independently of one another. And for a time, DC used to know how to balance grim and gritty with light heartedness, an art that seems completely lost now.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've loved DC all of my life because of Wonder Woman who's beautiful, strong, intelligent, and the perfect woman, and Superman who has always been my role model for who I wish to one day become. I've always watched shows. movies, and games relating to DC, but didn't read comics much. I began reading when Justice League #12 released and you can probably tell why, heheh, and here I am. :D

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By lifeboy

@juliedc: @dianaxkal: HA! Thats Awesome!

I love DC because of Superman and WonderWoman. Superman is the first and ultimate superhero. WonderWoman is beautiful in her red, gold, blue and white star costume. I love what they stand for truth and justice.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because Batman

/thread

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

It's largely a matter of upbringing. I grew up moreso on DC than on Marvel so I drift more in that direction. I find DC's characters more compelling than Marvel's, for the most part. I particularly love the feeling that DC's flagship characters tend to (at least, prior to the New 52) have expansive histories and families centered around them. I realize that every character has his or her own history, but it feels to me like DC's characters thrive based on their expansive histories and forever-changing and evolving supporting casts.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

A few answers as to why.

1. I grew up on DC cartoons. Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL and JLU, Batman Beyond. These shows shaped my childhood, I tried watching some of the Marvel animated shows, but they didn't hold my attention nearly as much.

2. Personally, I think DC makes better events and crossovers, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, The Crisis Trilogy, 52. And that's just the main events, don't get me started on the smaller ones involving individual characters. Plus, their Elseworlds stories are phenomenal (and let's not get started on the Vertigo stuff) . I also feel that DC is willing to push the envelope more with their stories, though both have very controversial topics.

3. I also find DC characters more interesting than Marvel's. DC has such a rich history with someone unique and facasinating characters, not just typical superheroes with capes and tights, but we have Constantine, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, the Teen Titans, which I've always loved, various Outsiders and the classic feel of the JSA. Not to mention I like everyone on the JL roster for different reasons. Superman and Flash for being just good people, Batman for his psychological villains and stories, Green Lantern for cosmic stuff, WW for her Greek mythos ties, Aquaman for his Atlantis stories as well as him being apart of two worlds, Martian Manhunter for his array of powers and the stories of him losing everything and gaining new families.

4. I also love the Legacy ties in DC. How each member of the JL has proteges, sidekicks and partners. I like that each Robin can potentially be Batman, or that Superman has other Kryptonians to continue his legacy (hell, he has whole teams in the future to do that).

Although I don't agree with a lot of the moves the editorial staff of DC has been making lately, I have always loved DC Comics and always will.

Hawq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really difficult question. For me, it wasn't a matter of upbringing. The first comics I ever bought were Captain America. I was incredibly young and it was before I had the intention of reading them, I just found them interesting. I also grew up seeing a lot more Marvel films, so I was more on the Marvel side until I became exposed to DC. As for why I prefer it...

1) I simply find the characters more interesting. This is probably the simple answer for just about anyone on either side. Now, I do like Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, Wolverine, and some others, but most of the characters I don't find to be that interesting. DC characters have so much more depth for me, and I love that they can join together for the greater good, or they can stay within their little universe that's tailored to compliment their character. Batman has Gotham to compliment and characters like Joker to compliment him, Superman has Metropolis with Lois Lane and Lex, etc. A lot of this is of course being more familiar with the DC characters, and a lot of it is also the way they're set up.

2) I think DC does a better job in a lot of departments. I prefer their comics. Hero on villain, with a more classic style mixed with a modern edge. Obviously that's entirely one's opinion, so it shouldn't hold much weight. Then there's their animated work, which I would find it hard to argue that Marvel is anywhere near DC's level when it comes to animated. Then there's the cinematic universes, which DC is obviously a little late for. This one is a toss up for me. I loved Iron Man, actually thought Iron Man 2 wasn't half bad, and thought Thor was excellent. However, I hated Iron Man 3, and I was about the .01% of the population that thought The Avenger's was just kind of mediocre from the cinematic aspect. For DC I actually enjoyed MoS, and never saw GL (for obvious reasons). It pretty much comes down to whomever releases a great film at the time. So, the cinematic universe I have no preference with. I just want to see a good movie. Though Marvel's has undeniably been more successful.

3) Fan base. I find the DC fan base to be a lot more welcoming. Now, I could have just had unfortunately negative experiences on this one, and none of which were on Comic Vine as just about everyone on here has been great, but I've had a few disappointing experiences on Marvel's subreddit and Marvel's forums. I found a lot more comparisons and arguments about DC vs. Marvel, and a lot less people willing to help me get into the Marvel comics again (around the time of Marvel Now). I think the problem is that Marvel has gathered a lot more casual fans over the past few years due to their cinematic universe. DC definitely has them as well, however due to the impact films like Iron Man and The Avenger's have had, I've found it to be more common in Marvel. Like I said, people on Comic Vine and at conventions have been awesome, it's simply the casual Marvel movie fans that really spoiled the community for me.

I'll be the first to admit DC does screw up in a lot of departments, but for me the pros outweighs the cons. I don't hate Marvel by any means, and I don't get why people feel the need to love one and hate the other. I may not absolutely love Marvel's characters or films, but some people do, so far be it from me to spoil that for them.

I will admit to hating Deadpool though...

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just like the DC universe & characters more. Plus their stories and approach to them I guess. With the exception of superman ( which pisses me off ) most DC solo books are self contained. While in Marvel you got half the universe fighting Dr. Doom in many different books in less then 5 months.

And Every DC character that gets his own book, sooner or later gets his own cast of supporting characters & villains (if it lasts), even if it's a former sidekick, while Marvel is mostly made out of team books, and the solo books have villains and heroes from other books coming in too often.

burgerkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By burgerkong

I just find their stories better nowadays (yes, I used to be more into Marvel titles before), the DC Universe, characters etc. but there are a couple of marvel titles that I dig like Hawkeye (matt fraction) and the Superior Spiderman so that doesn't make me a DC purist :)

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think for me it's just that I got into comics via the Bruce Timm Justice League TV show, which led me to DC, and I've been addicted to it ever since. I hate a lot of what the New 52 is, but am completely addicted. I also like Marvel stuff and am trying to get into that too, but it's difficult to keep up with multiple universes, so I remain primarily a DC guy.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FearTheLiving

I don't.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to have both company's apps on my phone, now I only have DC. Some of Marvel's stories get too... fantastical? for me. DC has them also, but I feel they're executed better.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mostly its just the characters I grew up around and have grown to love, I also like the fact that the characters tend to be more powerful, I was never a street level kind of gal. I also feel like Marvel is more comical.. There are several wisecrackers part of the main crew, such as Spiderman or Deadpool, and costumes tend to be more flashy which I just dont enjoy, I prefer a more serious tone to my comics. Uhm.. Thats mostly it, I dont really have anything against Marvel, I am just more into DC and dont have the time to learn as much as I would want about a completely different universe.

Also while it wasnt a deciding factor the New 52 was a big help, it allowed me to start reading comics without feeling like I have missed as much.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that this is completely on topic but as of late, Marvel relaunching so many titles again and again is erksome.

I'm reading more DC now as a result of the n52 initiative. I feel like I can get into the characters from the ground floor and not have to bother with a ton of back story.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

1. Strong, awesome female characters (Supergirl, Batgirl, Batwoman, Huntress, Vixen, Amanda Waller, Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl etc....). They excel in this area over Marvel, they have so many interesting female characters with their own titles.

2. Non-stereotypical, interesting Black characters (Black Manta, John Stewart, Black Adam, Amanda Waller, Vixen, Mr. Terrific, Steel, The Question, Spectre, Bronze Tiger, Batwing, Invisible Kid etc...). Again, they excel in this area too by having some minority characters who aren't typical at all.

Poze11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I at first got into DC cause of my cousin. She was a huge fan of WW, Super man (girl), Batman, and poison Ivy. I got hook with those characters as well including Catwoman. I also like Marvel but, only because of the XM and FF. Those are my top favorites. I like more but I always go for those and now Magneto. Beside DC, pretty mush I like them all Ha.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.