Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Why DC don't change Black Lightning's name?

• 63 results
    Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Many polls here in Comic Vine demonstrate Static is the most loved black superhero. But he's a teenage hero, so he can't join the Justice League. Other polls demonstrated Cyborg isn't a very well loved character and so many people don't like him being a founding member. So, my question is simple: why DC don't put Black Lightning (the mature version of Static) in the JL, changing his ridiculous name? BL has great powers, an amazing (and simple) costume and was the first black hero in DC history.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Moul

@justthatkid: The truth is nobody likes Cyborg the way he is, they want change his "costume", they want change his powers and some people want also change his personality. In short, people want Cyborg to be another character. And yes, "Black Lightning" is a stupid name and a shame considering the potential of this character.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: You know they changed his powers in the New 52, right? ask yourself why. Cyborg will get a title in July but unless they alter him completely, I doubt will be a success

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

His name is fine.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's fine

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Black Lightning is good name. I don't find anything wrong with it really. I always liked it.

Honestly I wouldn't have minded seeing Black Lightning in the Justice League if they were going to throw out Martian Manhunter to make it more diverse human wise. At least it'd make sense since Black Lightning is a League character and they aren't going to be using the Outsiders anytime soon.

The thing that I didn't like about Cyborg was because it messed with the Martian Manhunter's position on the team. He has always been that one character that was a face to the Justice League. Having him gone is like having an Avengers without Captain America, a Fantastic Four without the Thing, and a Doom Patrol without Robotman. Perhaps I am exaggerating. I don't care. I'm a Martian Manhunter fanboy. In addition to this it helped create the mess the Teen Titans are in today. Teen Titans got a lot robbed from them. Almost all iconic members are no longer associated with them. The only too I'd really say iconic members are Raven and Beast Boy. At least when they decided to mess with Cyborg they tried to make his changes beneficial.

Though I agree. I like Black Lightning. It would've been cool to see something big done with him.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperAdam

Honestly, I would rather have Static Shock on the Justice League than Cyborg. Also, Cyborg and Static are the same age (I think).

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Moul

@superadam: Static is a teenager, like Spiderman.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperAdam

@moul said:

@superadam: Static is a teenager, like Spiderman.

I thought Cyborg was still a teenager, though...

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlackLegRaph

The name is good.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's called black because he's black, right?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Lightning is a very dated name but I don't know what you would change it to ? I was watching Batman/Superman:Public Enemies and I was thinking how awesome BL looks and I wonedered why DC doesn't do more with him? He has potential, his mini series awhile back was good and he got no love in the New52 other than a co feature with Blue Devil ( another underused character). Black Lightning is yet another ball DC has dropped.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: I think DC is scared by his similarity with Static. Virgil is definitely a better character, but he's a young hero and the JL is not The Avengers. On the other hand, Cyborg is a pretty mediocre character, no way he will shine in future, he's basically the robotic version of the Frankenstein monster.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Moul
    CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: I agree. I really miss not seeing characters like him and Blue Devil pop up now and then. They are pretty much forgotten now it seems like.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

@bigcimmerian: unfortunately

Same with Black Manta DC and Black Panther from Marvel? xD

I find it funny and terrible at the same time, even though I like very much both Manta and Panther.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@crazyscarecrow:

I agree if not on JL maybe on others JLs. Too bad that JLA will about JL, if had other rooster probably he would see him on rooster. I agree with Martian Manhunter even thought New 52 JL (like some previous incartions of the team) has lot of powerhouses and Martian Manhunter it would be bit overpower team. New 52 Teen Titans Universe has lot of problems like The Team is the first TT but there is lot of writers that say that isnt true, they started with Young Justice characthers and not Original 5 Teen Titans, characther being bad written and previous Titans characthers no longer are Titans Characthers. Cyborg´s promotion was cool but they didnt use him as much, maybe that will change with his solo but he was huge untaped potencial.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam:

Static (Vergil) is younger than Cyborg. I think he is 16 on N52

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Lightning is good name. I don't find anything wrong with it really. I always liked it.

Honestly I wouldn't have minded seeing Black Lightning in the Justice League if they were going to throw out Martian Manhunter to make it more diverse human wise. At least it'd make sense since Black Lightning is a League character and they aren't going to be using the Outsiders anytime soon.

The thing that I didn't like about Cyborg was because it messed with the Martian Manhunter's position on the team. He has always been that one character that was a face to the Justice League. Having him gone is like having an Avengers without Captain America, a Fantastic Four without the Thing, and a Doom Patrol without Robotman. Perhaps I am exaggerating. I don't care. I'm a Martian Manhunter fanboy. In addition to this it helped create the mess the Teen Titans are in today. Teen Titans got a lot robbed from them. Almost all iconic members are no longer associated with them. The only too I'd really say iconic members are Raven and Beast Boy. At least when they decided to mess with Cyborg they tried to make his changes beneficial.

Though I agree. I like Black Lightning. It would've been cool to see something big done with him.

I would argue that Drake is just as iconic as Raven or Beast Boy to the roster, and when they actually tried to change Beast Boy, people complained.

Black Lightning is a very dated name but I don't know what you would change it to ? I was watching Batman/Superman:Public Enemies and I was thinking how awesome BL looks and I wonedered why DC doesn't do more with him? He has potential, his mini series awhile back was good and he got no love in the New52 other than a co feature with Blue Devil ( another underused character). Black Lightning is yet another ball DC has dropped.

In all honesty, unless you're on a companies premiere team, you're probably underused. If you're not a Leaguer/Avenger/Titan/X-Man, and don't already have a solid title to your name (or hey, maybe editorial just doesn't like you,) you're as disposable as a pedestrian.

Also, I don't think the name Black Lightning is dated. He's black, he's got electrical powers, and it sounds cool. It's not like he's got an afro and goes by the name "Soul Power." Even if that would be pretty cool to me...

@vitalius said:

@crazyscarecrow:

I agree if not on JL maybe on others JLs. Too bad that JLA will about JL, if had other rooster probably he would see him on rooster. I agree with Martian Manhunter even thought New 52 JL (like some previous incartions of the team) has lot of powerhouses and Martian Manhunter it would be bit overpower team. New 52 Teen Titans Universe has lot of problems like The Team is the first TT but there is lot of writers that say that isnt true, they started with Young Justice characthers and not Original 5 Teen Titans, characther being bad written and previous Titans characthers no longer are Titans Characthers. Cyborg´s promotion was cool but they didnt use him as much, maybe that will change with his solo but he was huge untaped potencial.

If they were going to have him be part of a team, it might be more like The Outsiders anyway. I think he even led that team at one point.

However, I think they should focus more on his ability to use magic, black, lightning, and put him along with some other semi-mystical characters in a new Shadowpact, or something along those lines.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: Black panther it's ok, I mean, it's the name of the animal

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

@bigcimmerian: I can't remember where, but there was an animated movie that had him actually shoot black colored lightning. It was cool, and made his name make sense.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Static is owned by Milestone NOT DC. (It's like people don't pay attention or something)

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm pretty sure DC Comics has the rights to the character, now.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About that.They said in the CBR article that they'll still be working with DC on stuff.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58666

"Obviously Milestone and DC have a great history together," Hudlin added. "We're going to be doing more projects together. but we're going to be doing business with a lot of different companies. Other publishers, other media companies."

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: Milestones specifically said they have the rights back to all their characters and will be looking to work with a bunch of different publishers so nope they aren't owned by WB.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Meh, the name's pretty good.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: Milestones specifically said they have the rights back to all their characters and will be looking to work with a bunch of different publishers so nope they aren't owned by WB.

but then, how is DC planning on making a live action Static Shock TV series? If that's true, it looks like Static will be exiled from continuity.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

but then, how is DC planning on making a live action Static Shock TV series? If that's true, it looks like Static will be exiled from continuity.

There not, Milestone is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

I kind agree with with Drake to Teen Titans since Dick graduated to Titans. But it´s never a good thing that a character stays on team for long time. But he and Raven and BB has the potencial to be other groups and solos.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: I think Raven is better than Zatanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His name isn't ridiculous and BL is not interesting enough to be a main JL member.

OkRaider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By OkRaider88

African-American/ Negro/ Colored Lightning... I mean Black Lightning... should get a name change or make his powers related to dark matter so the "Black" in his name ceases to be a reference to his obvious racial group. That's just too tacky for 2015. Or even 1985 for that matter.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Superguy1591

People don't like Cyborg just because he's not Martian. It's nothing to do with Cyborg, it's just blind Internet hatred spurred on by mob mentality.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@crazyscarecrow: Martian Manhunter...the Captain America if the JL? You mean the Ant-Man or something. Superman is Captain America.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: The way I kinda view the Martian Manhunter is he is the one character that is visually distinctive and is unique to the Justice League. Like you can't really have a Justice League team without him at least help finding it. Maybe Captain America is a bad example though Captain America is the heart and soul of the JLA much like the Martian Manhunter.

Like I said. I am a Martian Manhunter fanboy.

@moul: Simple. Change the name of JLD. Have them be original and not rely on the Justice League name in the title to the sell the book.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No that would be stupid. It sounds good and everyone is use to it. If there was such a big problem (there isn't) just change the look of his powers to look like the black light version of lightning.

Would you change Black Canary?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is a pretty good reason to be called Black Lighting..
    Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I think they should change his costume. He seems Staic with that blue, black and yellow. Black Lightning should dress casual, with a hood

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rubear

@moul said:

///changing his ridiculous name?

He is black and he is trowing lightnings. (c) Supergirl.
    Therefore he is Black Lightning. It's that simple and makes sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.