Why Aren't There More Humans on the Other Lantern Corps?

Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about it and I find it a little odd that there are four Green Lanterns from Earth. Out of the entire sector, all are humans from Earth. They always make it out that Earth is special and humans are a unique presence in the universe, so then why aren't humans more present on the other Corps? The only one I can think of is Carol Ferris on the Star Sapphires.

When I look around at the human race, the least present "emotion" I see is willpower. There isn't plenty of rage, fear, greed, compassion, hope, love, etc. on Earth?

(This topic brought to you by the rage inside me.)

#1 Posted by The Stegman (23984 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe as a species, humans aren't as emotionally developed as other races

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

No reason for it, just stupidity on DC's part.  

Wally not being a Blue Lantern is testament to that. 

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Human arrogance, we don't like to admit what an emotional wreck we are as a species

#4 Posted by Saren (25618 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some, Alex Nero in the Sinestro Corps and there are plenty of them in the Black and White Lantern Corps. The current Red Lanterns title has two guys who seem on the track to becoming Reds eventually.

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

There should be a lot of Orange Lantern humans, come to think of it.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (23984 posts) - - Show Bio

i would also like to see this team in action 

#7 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be awesome if there was a story arc with a red lantern human, maybe like Damian Wayne or something

#8 Posted by noj (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: I actually think its the exact opposite.In the DCU I have a theory that humans are MORE emotianlly developed and have generally more powerful emotions due to them developing as a species while the White Entity slept right under them. There really should be more humans in the other corps but I guess Ill offer up theorys for each

Orange: This ones obvious, there really is only one Orange Lantern and its Larfleeze so a human beiing a orange lantern is impossible atm

Sinestro Corp: Really no reason the ring for sector 2814 TRIED to select a human first(Batman) but it was denied. Would have chosen another human if Amon Sur didnt happen to be around

Blue: The Blue Lanterns are EXTREMELY selective and each member is individually selected if I remember right. Probably would have been a human Blue Lantern if the War of Light didnt happen and interrupt the process.

Indigo: Again the Indigos seem to be individually selected. Besides William Hand IS a Indigo Lantern

Red: Started in deep space and even made its way to earth. Just happened to encounter a cat before a human

#9 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

As you said there is one Sapphire already, there is only one Orange overall, the Reds look like they will be getting one as well, there was a Blue that showed up briefly at the end of the last GL series but they didn't build on her at all.  I think one explanation though is that as the home of the white light and the center for all life in the universe that Earth was avoided for a long time so as to keep a the black light away (this was the point of Blackest Night).  Also to be fair there is a lot of space out there, and so a human for each Corps is maybe overkill.  Though to be fair the same could b said for Korugar who has three relatively famous GLs or past GLs

#10 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

There are too many human Green Lanterns. Also I kinda hate how humans and Earth are special. The only reason for that is because humans write the books and we want to make ourselves special.

#11 Posted by SC (12966 posts) - - Show Bio

If there were more humans in the other Corps all those other Corps would have divided up into smaller Corps? Corps would not be united and instead of the Red Lanterns you would have the Blood Red Lanterns and the Reddish Purple Lanterns and the Red Velvet Lanterns, Anti Green Red Lanterns, Red Lanterns for Oil Lanterns and then the Black Red Lanterns, and then each division of the individual Red Lantern Sub Groupings would nominate candidates to run against the other Red Lantern Sub Groupings nominees - dragging them threw the dirt and vomiting blood and insults at each other. Will get drunk, and shoot each other, and laugh and misspell words, inappropriately touch young women WHO SAID THAT?!?! You know what I mean... like 9 percent expansion..... I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF THE RED LANTERN CORPS IN TIMES GOOD AND IN TIMES BAD! Who said that? Increase your tax foot print. 9 PERCENT EXPANSION. The Butcher told me I would be a fairy princess - but then he told me to hide in the bushes. We are running out of angry people in this country. I think its an interesting Coincidence that the Black Death killed a bunch of people Medevil sorry... Medieval Times. There are no studies that show vomiting Blood up is bad for you!!  

Denny Crane. Oops. Sorry. Uhm..... *Atrocious come in I'm going to need a pick up stat* **red** *smiles*  

I am really fond of the whole Lantern spectrum thing - so many potential side stories dealing with more humans being a part. Still a tricky progression and don't want to over saturate the main structure of this corner of stories. (though as a fan of more of the minor Lantern characters I;d be okay with less focus on Hal etc)

#12 Posted by Saren (25618 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

^ Awesome

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
@Daveyo520: Well not exactly. Yes it is true, but they explained that as Earth being the source of the white light
#15 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Hand is also part of the Indigo Tribe. Plus Dex-star or whatever his name is may not be human but is from Earth and he's a Red Lantern. The other Corps are all new, it'll take a while for them to recruit up to Green Lantern Corps level, if they ever do. Blue Lanterns are recruited one at a time starting with sector 1 it'll take a while for them to reach Earth. I kinda think Earth is over represented in comics.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

There should be a lot of Orange Lantern humans, come to think of it.

majority of politicians should be Orange Lanterns.
BB

#17 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that Lex Luthor was in Orange. and Scarecrow was in Sinestro Corps.

#18 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Well ya, because people decided it would be. I just don't like things that have a huge universe of aliens and they just make people special. Mass Effect does it well I would say for example.

#19 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
@Daveyo520: Well sort of but so are those from Korugar and Graxos IV
#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daveyo520 said:

Also I kinda hate how humans and Earth are special. The only reason for that is because humans write the books and we want to make ourselves special.

I hate this cliche in all fiction. We are NOT special.

#21 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: For having Lanterns yes, but not everything important ever happens on those planets.And 3 planets is still too little. Earth is where all the multiple universes converge and etc. with all the crisis stuff.

#22 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio
@Daveyo520: Oh I definitely agree that we have a very geocentric viewpoint on the universe from a perspective of fiction, but at least they sort of explained it in GL and GLC  as opposed to all the Crisis stuff
#23 Edited by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Same. Now I do root for humans in Sci Fi and want them to win, but not have them be the best and have Earth be super special for no reason. Well Halo does it well with humans just being the left overs of a fallen race that ruled the galaxy.

@RazzaTazz: I get used to it, it is just a little annoying. You are right, it does make sense in terms of the fiction at least.

#24 Posted by Death_From_Below (223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Daveyo520 said:

@InnerVenom123: Same. Now I do root for humans in Sci Fi and want them to win, but not have them be the best and have Earth be super special for no reason. Well Halo does it well with humans just being the left overs of a fallen race that ruled the galaxy.

@RazzaTazz: I get used to it, it is just a little annoying. You are right, it does make sense in terms of the fiction at least.

Yup,I agree.
#25 Posted by ChadwickDavis (444 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this before or after we consider...

John Stewart: Destruction of Xanshi, Death of Mogo

Kyle Rayner: read New Guardians #3

Guy Gardner: He's just Guy

AND:

Hal Jordan: TOO MANY TO NAME

With the Green Lantern's corner of the DCnU relatively intact you have to consider that humans have caused or been involved in more destruction than most of the other races combined. We are like the GL universe's double edged sword: while we get results there is always lots of collateral damage.

p.s. There is supposed to be a human red lantern coming to the DCnU and if the information about him is accurate on the DC comics website he may be a big factor in the Red Lantern Civil War.

#26 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

i always thought humans were looked down upon in DC

#27 Posted by Ms. Omega (4444 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Holy crap thats cool

#28 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

No reason for it, just stupidity on DC's part. Wally not being a Blue Lantern is testament to that.

Totally agree with this, I think they should bring him back as a blue lantern that uses his ring to give him abilities similar to Barry's that way he could be different but still similar to the way we knew him

@CitizenBane said:

Where is this from?

@CitizenBane said:

There are some, Alex Nero in the Sinestro Corps and there are plenty of them in the Black and White Lantern Corps. The current Red Lanterns title has two guys who seem on the track to becoming Reds eventually.

Interesting i have never heard of him but i want to see more of him. The Red Lanterns now have a human in their corps. I still think Wally should be a Blue lantern. I would like to see Scarecrow possessing a yellow ring actually the alternate lanterns created during blackest night was a great selection. I know they did it to diversify and i think it was a good choice i think doomsday should have been given a Red Power Ring.

#29 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

Green: Hal, Kyle, Guy, John

Blue:

Red: Rankorr

Star Sapphire: Carol Ferris, Cowgirl

Violet:

Orange:

White:

Black: Black Hand (The avatar of the Black)

Indigo: Black Hand

on the other hand Hal has been Green, Yellow, Blue, Red, Orange, Black, and White

http://www.comicvine.com/hal-jordan/29-11202/the-many-colors-of-hal-jordan/92-611979/#13

#30 Posted by Batmandemon23 (138 posts) - - Show Bio

its probably because the other corps view humans as weaklings

#31 Posted by GamerGeek360 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Lanterns seems to be heading towards a human Lantern in their series.

#32 Posted by War Killer (20138 posts) - - Show Bio

DC should really organize the Lantern Corps, maybe have it that every Green Lantern has a partner Blue Lantern with every sector, the Star Sapphires could take care housing and guarding space criminals and other Lantern villains. The Red, Orange, and Sinestro Corps could simply be the villain corps who rival the Green, Blue, and Star Sapphire Corps in how to protect the universe.

#33 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

maybe as a species, humans aren't as emotionally developed as other races

I like this viewpoint. That, or the majority of humans exhibit no emotions strongly enough to warrant gaining a ring.

Also, the DCU's a very big place. There are bound to be hundreds, if not thousands, of races.

@CitizenBane said:

Blackest Night: Batman?

#34 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

DC should really organize the Lantern Corps, maybe have it that every Green Lantern has a partner Blue Lantern with every sector, the Star Sapphires could take care housing and guarding space criminals and other Lantern villains. The Red, Orange, and Sinestro Corps could simply be the villain corps who rival the Green, Blue, and Star Sapphire Corps in how to protect the universe.

I'm sorry, I don't like this idea, it kind of feels a little too simplistic and detracts from the corps as having separate roles.

I wouldn't consider the Orange Lantern(s) or Red Lanterns as villains either. Arguably the only evil corps are the Yellow Lantern Corps.

#35 Posted by Saren (25618 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: It's from the final issue of Steph's Batgirl series.

#36 Posted by EvilTree (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually there is a human member of the Sinestro Corps Malia, a minor one though.

#37 Posted by Darth Paul (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Just looked at a list of female lantern corps members, and it looks like there were quite a few "human" females on some of the other teams besides the green ones, although they weren't from Earth, nor did they protect 2814.

#38 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Bueno Excellente would be a great Star Sapphire Lantern.

#39 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daveyo520 said:

There are too many human Green Lanterns. Also I kinda hate how humans and Earth are special. The only reason for that is because humans write the books and we want to make ourselves special.

Its as annoying as the idea that humans have the whole sprectrum of powers possible, but whenever an alien has powers, its usually because the entire race has those powers. Kryptonians, Tamaraians, Martians etc

@InnerVenom123 said:

I hate this cliche in all fiction. We are NOT special.

The worst is Dr Who, how he constantly goes on about the Earth

But TBH, I think they should turn the SS back into just the one villianess, & just keep the Red & Yellow Lanterns as evil Corps for the GLC to fight

#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12981 posts) - - Show Bio

2814 has so many human Green Lanterns due to circumstance. remember that most of Earth's Lanterns were Hal's backups. Then Kyle replaced him and made jade his backup for a short while.

#41 Posted by SinestroFTW (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Well obviously now there's been a lot of changes to the NuDCU with Guy becoming a red lantern and Kyle a white lantern but I want to see a human join the sinestro corp

#42 Edited by Vitalius (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf:

Because Kyle Rayner´s white ring is made from all rings exept White and Black, he is official member of all corps exept Black. Also it isnt Violet it is Indigo, Violet is collour name of Star Sapphires.

#43 Posted by Ms. Omega (4444 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow not getting to keep his yellow ring is a damned travesty. :(

#44 Posted by EvilTree (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms__omega said:

Scarecrow not getting to keep his yellow ring is a damned travesty. :(

Seconded, he would have made a nice addition to the corps and I'm sure Dr Crane would be interested in the phobias of aliens, his gas plus their rings would have made a nice plot line.

#45 Posted by Jayc1324 (11663 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans are only on one of thousands of planets

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.