Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Why a reboot with Hal Jordan is doomed to fail

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A lot of people say Hal Jordan should be the GL in the movie because his story and no one seems to understand that this is a big problem for a live action adaptation. How people call the GL comics in the DC universe? exactly, the "Star Wars of DC". Now, if that comparison is awesome in the comics, it becomes pretty lame on the silver screen. In the SW we have the learner (Anakin) who gives way to fear and become evil. In GL we have the same story, but with the master (Sinestro). Plus, we have to talk about the Red Lanterns? they are evil and moved by anger and they are red. The Sith in SW are evil, moved by anger and have red lightsabers :P. Can you see where is the problem? the general audience will never love any Green Lantern movie, because they will have the deja vù feeling. Why people should go in the teathers to watch a copy of one of the most famous epic sagas in the story of cinema? and here is another big problem: JJ Abrams is making another SW trilogy. Now if (and I'm saying "if") in the new movies, Luke Skywalker (the Jedi master) will become evil, like Sinestro in GL a lot of people will say "Hey, what a ****** they've copied Star Wars!!!". For all these reasons, I think they should go with John instead of Hal. Stewart hasn't great story arcs, but they could invent new stories (remember the good times when Hollywood was able to invent original plots?) and separate as much as possible the myth of Green Lantern from that of Star Wars. Plus the colored lanterns IMO would appear pretty lame on the silver screen, especially with the dark tone of the DCCU. I think Stewart should fight villains like Despero and Mongul

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely disagree.

For one thing, the comparison between Green Lantern and Star Wars is pretty weak; there are plenty of movies like that. Hell, in Batman Begins, Bruce's teacher (Ra's al Ghul) is evil and uses Scarecrows fear gas to terrorise Gotham. But it's still nothing like Star Wars, and neither is Green Lantern.

A lot of movies are similar in some ways, in fact there's even the popular claim that there are only seven different plots in all of fiction. I don't think the idea of a mentor who turns bad and a red guy is enough to make people think Green Lantern is a copy of Star Wars. "Atrocitus is red and the Sith use red lightsabers so Green Lantern is a rip-off of Star Wars" is a pretty weak argument.

And as for the whole "Luke Skywalker turning evil" thing, I'd say that's hugely unlikely anyway, and even if it did happen, there have been so many "mentor turns evil" stories over the years, anyone who thinks Star Wars invented that idea is probably under the age of 12.

But either way, I don't see why John Stewart being Green Lantern would make any more sense than Hal - why couldn't Hal be the one fighting Despero or Mongul? Or the Manhunters? It's not like ANY Hal Jordan story MUST involve the other Corps. is it? Hal Jordan was around for over 50 years before the other Corps. were even INVENTED.

In fact it would be even weirder for John Stewart to be the first Green Lantern because it would mean changing his origins. They would probably end up having to give John Hal's origin story anyway, so why not just use Hal?

Honestly I don't think people are going to think that a story about "an intergalactic police force who use magic green rings powered by their will to create anything they can imagine fighting aliens and monsters who also have their own coloured power rings which are powered by different emotions depending on the colour" is anything like Star Wars, except maybe that both are set in space. Green Lantern and Star Wars are nothing alike.

As for not thinking that the multiple coloured Lanterns will fit the tone of the DCCU... come on. Because Man of Steel wasn't a-laugh-a-minute laugh riot with bright colours everywhere, you think that there's some kind of ban on any kind of colour or fun in any DC movie ever again?

You can't say that every movie is going to have the same tone as Man of Steel - look at DC's comic universe, the Batman comic is nowhere near the tone of the Flash comic. Or the CW universe, Arrow is nothing like The Flash. Obviously there will be a little more consistency in movies, but you can't just assume that because Zack Snyder made a serious Superman movie there can never be a Green Lantern movie with multiple Corps. because "it wouldn't fit the tone"

So basically, no, I completely disagree; a Green Lantern movie would be nothing like the Star Wars movies, and Hal is actually a much better choice than John Stewart, because Hal was the first human Green Lantern, and because he's the most popular and well-known, not to mention having the best stories.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

I really don't see the SW/GL comparison.

Beata

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ha ha ha Man what will John Stewart fans think of next to try pushing him over Hal's on things? weak sauce

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I'm not a fan of John Stewart LOL I don't like the green lanterns :P

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I'm still a proponent of having the GL film in the DCCU be about the GL corps. as a whole instead of one particular member, with Hal Jordan, Yawn Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz all working as a team.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: There was a rumour a while back that that's exactly what it'll be - a Green Lantern Corps. movie set entirely in space, although I'd have guessed Hal, John, Kilowog and someone else, probably someone like Arisia or Soranik Natu to get a woman on the team.

I'd hope for Soranik - imagine Hal Jordan sleeping with Sinestro's daughter :D

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I want Kyle Rayner.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Actor Bradley Cooper for Hal Jordan.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: Doubt that would happen since Cooper voices Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy.

I would actually like to see maybe Chris Pine, or if they go for an older Hal like they did with Batman, I think Gerard Butler could be good in the role.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

The conundrum at hand is whether your grasp of Star Wars or Green Lantern is worse.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

@cloakx14: Ooh, good call

@saren I think it was summed up pretty well when the OP said "LOL I don't like the Green Lanterns :P"

That really was the point where I realised there was not much hope in this thread.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: i've lost Faith in GL period the movie was so horrible with RR, the tone should have been more like Mos than comedy Iron man.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love John, but no. Hal needs to be in the JL movie and so does J'onn J'onzz, but that wont happen.

KennyQuick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I grew up knowing of John, I still like Hal more and want him in the movie. Ryan Reynolds was not the problem with that movie, I dont see why everyone blames him. I love the movie despite all its flaws. I do agree with the rumors that Chris Pine would be an awesome Hal though. Hes basically DC's Captain Kirk hah.

Zach_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal is the main Green Lantern of this generation. He is going to be the Green Lantern in Justice League and the reboot.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still want Hal to be the GL. If it does seem like they're going for a New 52 approach, then it will most likely be Hal.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.