Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Who's in charge of the movies?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Now this is more or less a legitemate question... Who exactly is pulling all of the strings to make these DC films work? Who's behind them? Who's the central godfather if you will making things run smoothly?

Marvel has Kevin Feige, he's the big brain and overseer being EVERYTHING at Marvel. Now this is not to say DC needs to copy Marvel's method, but it IS to say that they need some form of personal overseeing for their movies.

Marvel? Has shown they can do a TV series with Daredevil and BARELY reference anything that happened in the movies. There are established rules and pieces all coordinated by chain of command. Where's DC's? This is not a bash thread or a "WHY CAN'T THEY DO MARVEL'S THING?!" because this? Could be a serious problem that could REALLY cause problems with the Cinematic Universe they'll be moving toward.

Personally I think they need to do ONE thing and that's make their own studio. DC Studios, do what Marvel did and just make a studio that makes nothing but comic films. DISTANCE themselves from Warner Bros, who still has ultimate control like Disney does with Marvel, but still enough creative freedom to go from this

No Caption Provided

To something like this

No Caption Provided

Just brighten things up a bit... That is the ACTUAL costume from Man of Steel without the color filter.... Looks a lot better I must say.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@smart_dork_dude: Apparently they don't. There was a article in Hollywood Reporter a few weeks ago about how the DCCU doesn't have a Kevin Feige-type person. WB apparently wants to give their directors more leeway with how they make their movies but still have them connected. This probably means that they won't shove random plot points or scenes into each movie to directly lead into the next.

Depending on how their approach works, WB might change it in the future. But right now, it seems they want a looser universe that is more concerned with telling individual stories rather than expanding the universe.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@rdclip: Ironically.... This is how they're doing the comics post-Convergence..... Looser continuity and focusing on canon.... Which might I point out are two FAIRLY closely related things. For there to be canon stories there has to be some form of continuity to TIE that canonical material together.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RDClip

@smart_dork_dude: As long as the stories don't directly contradict each other, I'm fine with them not being extremely closely tied.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@rdclip: True, but THEY don't even know if this is gonna work for the comics, so it seems odd for them to try to it with the movies.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Zack Snyder is.

The individual directors will work their own stories and movies and Zack Snyder will bring it all in together. I like this because I don't want DC movies to all be the same, like all of Marvel movies excluding the TWS.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: He is?

I've never heard that. Unless it has changed in the last few weeks, no one is the overseer of the DCCU.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's to say having a Kevin feige would improve their universe, it hasn't even had a second movie yet and your already questioning it's continuity/layout. I agree, someone overseeing their movies wouldn't hurt(tbh, I want them to put me in charge) but to say that what they're doing now is not heading in a direction is something is have to disagree with, iron man 2 had no interesting story and instead added in steps to the avengers movie. So sometimes a shared universe can muck things up, also where we're the avengers when the president gets captured, your telling me only iron man is there?( I know they couldn't make it) just trying to prove a point

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: He's not an active figure head, but he's in charge of the three most important movie of the DCCU: Man of Steel (the tone setter and the start), BvS(the first of the shared universe) and JL pt. 1 and 2(Pay off and possible conclusion).

The DCCU movies have to fit his universe.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Yeah, but he doesn't have nearly the power that Fiege has over the MCU. Fiege dictates the direction of every step of the MCU. Snyder, as director of JL1, is just establishing the beginning. What goes on in each movie he isn't directing is completely out of his hands. So I guess he Snyder would be more comperable to Weadon than Fiege since he's doing the team-up movie. And even then, since the DCCU will be looser than the MCU, he has less power than Weadon.

Most of the the set DCCU will take place after JL1, so we really don't know if Snyder's imput will be as strong afterwards. Since I don't think he is the confirmed director of JL2.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@rdclip: He's not an active figure head, but he's in charge of the three most important movie of the DCCU: Man of Steel (the tone setter and the start), BvS(the first of the shared universe) and JL pt. 1 and 2(Pay off and possible conclusion).

The DCCU movies have to fit his universe.

He's more like Whedon than Feige

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Yes Zack Snyder seems to have the most power in the molding of the DCCU right now with him directing four of the movies. Also the joker seems to be mildly inspired by tdkr joker with the white suit. I just hope hes up to it. I reeeeeaaaaly want the DCCU to work out.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, there was a small reference in episode 4 of Daredevil that I've found while watching it. James Wesley made a reference to Thor and Iron Man when talking with the two twins about the man in the black

THE_JOKER51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want them to give MCU some tough competition. Marvel Studios has had it far to easy for too long now, and they're starting to get a little lazy imo. Didn't think Age of Ultron was near as good, or as well made as Avengers. Don't even get me started on the last couple Wolverine movies, Punisher War Zone was better than either. Again imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.