Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Which member of the Trinity should become PC?

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which member of the Trinity should become PC? (17 votes)

Superman 6%
    Batman 18%
    What's-her-name 76%

Let's face facts. This is going to happen, sooner or later! Earth-2 already introduced us to a black Superman. Eventually, DC is going to start releasing PC superheroes, too. Free publicity is free publicity. So which member of the trinity should become a disabled, Muslim, black Lesbian?

I think they should just give Wonder Woman darker skin. Her feminist fans would rejoice, and it would leave Batman and Superman untouched.

• 
    Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Incursion

NONE

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muslim Batman?

Make it happen, DC.

Beata

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stop. Thankfully DC isn't as bad with this crap as marvel is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
    deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Trinity won't get the PC treatment since it's actually iconic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Superman is alien so there is no reason why he would be caucasian plus his powers come from the sun why not solar body.

Amazons myths were just greek myths so Wonder Woman would have more South Africa/Western Europe/East of Asia Look.

Batman also doesnt have any idication being white is his main characther as characther

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rpgesus

i think hispanics just became the majority in california iirc so just keep them white since we are now an oppressed minority

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

@jayc1324 said:

I think they're just as bad, but better because they don't make their MAIN continuity heroes different (besides Wally West). Black Superman and gay Alan Scott are both on Earth 2, so they can have their diversity cake and eat it too.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uugieboogie

Black Bat-Man 'Nuff said

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It would be fine with an African American such as myself if all comic characters were white. If the people writing them are white, by all means use white characters.

Here's the reason why: when white writers attempt to write black characters we get this ham handed attempt at exploring social issues. I know it has become a cliché but the Black Panter, Black Lightning, Black Manta s*** is beyond lame. I get way more uncomfortable seeing that kind of thing than I would if everyone was white.

*drags dead horse in* They could either push the existing diverse characters or write new ones (without naming them Captain Afro). Ideally, if black people want a character to identify with, then we should create one. How stupid is it to wait for Stan Lee to do it for us.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. They only change their popular characters, and Batman's most popular so it'll be him.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. And let PC treatmenters burn.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@spidey_jackson: Then hire Frank Miller to do the story. Id like to see how it would turn out.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Despite the poll looking already decided upon, and a bit biased Id agree with the idea of Wonder Woman having an ethnic look compared to the other 2. Batman for one I dont see being race swapped there's a earth with the JL being black/darker skin minus one. Superman I like the idea of being raised by Hispanic immigrants but the Kansas stuff is to embedded and regardless doesn't change his appearance really if Gods and Monsters is an example.

If I had to make an ethnic JL Id use things like stereotypes and logic in place.

Superman and Batman would stay the same.

Wonder Woman would be more ethnic.

Aquaman would be Irish or Western European.

Flash would be Black.

Green Lantern would be Asian.

Martian Manhunter would be Blue.

Cyborg would be completely a machine.

Wonder Woman is considered to be Greek because of her Greek God roots.

Aquaman in the DCCU is a Pacific Islander

Green Lantern Kyle Rayner is Hispanic, Simon Baz is Middle Eastern

Wally West is already african american in Post Flashpoint.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

none of them ever will... we already have a race swapped JL with earth 23 (president superman etc.)

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 SC  Moderator

Uh, DC trinity is already all PC. Superman is an illegal immigrant, living in America, he wears glasses even though his vision is perfect, so he is a hipster as well. Batman is a rich guy, who in his rich guy persona Bruce Wayne, stereotypes billionaire playboys, vilifying them, and uses his resources and wealth to fund his true passion, helping lazy, poor people in Gotham. Wonder Woman is a woman, and even though her Dad paid and paved her way, godlike powers yadda yadda, she hates him or something, plus she is a Feminist SJW.

Y'all should stop reading DC and Marvel and read Popeye, like I do. Popeye is a real hero, true blue American, no drugs or steroids like Captain America, is a sailor, so has an actual job, works hard, is straight, is a man, is white, is red blooded, blue collared, doesn't stand for hippies. Smokes, drinks. Has a hat. A real hero.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black homosexual overweight batman in a fursuit when?

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I think they're just as bad, but better because they don't make their MAIN continuity heroes different (besides Wally West). Black Superman and gay Alan Scott are both on Earth 2, so they can have their diversity cake and eat it too.

I actually slightly prefer the Earth-2 universe because the characters are more interesting. I'd be ok with the Flash being black, if it meant Wally West could retake the roll.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman isn't black in Earth 2 unless you're speaking of Val-Zod who came in after Superman proper died. Superman on Earth 23 is, in fact, black, from the get go. I think you should stop worrying about it. DC is diverse enough as it is. I don't think they'll go into PC panic mode.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just emphasise WW's Greekness (Hellenicness idk). Like draw her with slightly darker skin, and give her a Greek accent in cartoons/movies.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would do as Yale Stewart has done and make her skin tone different than its usual whiteness. Wonder woman is meant to be of greek/amazon descent.

No Caption Provided

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would do as Yale Stewart has done and make her skin tone different than its usual whiteness. Wonder woman is meant to be of greek/amazon descent.

No Caption Provided

Actually, ancient Greeks had a variety of skin tones, so its not completely unreasonable for Wonder Woman to have white skin.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You'd have to change Batman and Superman's background too much if they weren't white and WW actually makes more sense with a slightly Mediterranean skin tone.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MakkyD

@superadam said:
    @titanbreaker said:

No Caption Provided

Actually, ancient Greeks had a variety of skin tones, so its not completely unreasonable for Wonder Woman to have white skin.

Maybe the Northern tribes from the mountainous areas, but WW grew up in an island in the middle of Mediterranean, which would have a warmer climate than most of of the Ancient Greek world considering it'd be more South.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nickras said:

Marvel is just as iconic as DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras said:

Marvel is just as iconic as DC

Popular? Sure. Iconic? Not even close.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clearly none of them

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nickras: It is easy to argue that DC is more iconic, but characters like Spider-Man,Captain America, wolverine and The Hulk are definitely iconic. And with the success of the MCU, more marvel characters are going to achieve icon status.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras: It is easy to argue that DC is more iconic, but characters like Spider-Man,Captain America, wolverine and The Hulk are definitely iconic. And with the success of the MCU, more marvel characters are going to achieve icon status.

I seriously doubt that any superhero will ever get more iconic than Superman. This isn't about fame or popularity-Superman is the archetype, other superheroes are just those that came after him.

If you ask people who read the comics to name a random superhero, you may get some obscure answers like "Booster Gold" or "Saturn Girl". If you ask people who go to the movies but don't read the comics, they might say "Batman" or "Thor". However, if you ask a person who doesn't follow the subculture at all, the answer is going to be Superman. That's what makes him iconic.

That said, I'm not denying that Marvel has their iconic characters. I just wanted to tease Marvel fans a little.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None.

julez4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically black skin absorb sunlight more than white skin which deflects sunlight so logically being an alien and all
    Superman should be black, as his absorb, storing powers would be greater than a white alien variant.
    However Milestone comics answered the whole what if Superman was black, white America would have a hissy fit.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And how are these characters not already PC? I don't see them lashing out against particular groups. Rather, they stand for everybody.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Saint_Sophie
    @kcomicfan said:

Being popular and iconic don't mean the same thing. The only truthfully iconic DC characters that most people would argue are the DC trinity and Lois Lane. Superman, most people know why. Batman is DC now tbh and WW's for the gals. Lois Lane pretty much started the whole trend that a superhero needs a human love interest that they have to save or just be a love interest. Plus they've all lasted for more than 70 years. Without too much interference or any notable changes or legacies.

I'd argue for Spiderman and Captain America being iconic. Wolverine's and The Hulk are super duper popular and relevant at the moment, but I don't know about them being an icon. Maybe Hulk reaching close to that.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.