Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Which DC Characters were better BEFORE the New 52??

• 62 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By sethysquare

@Captain13 said:

Some DC Characters were better before the reboot. I'm talking characterization--not costumes.

For example, Jaime Reyes, the Blue Beetle had a much better written book and personality pre-reboot.

No Caption Provided

Can you think of any other examples?

This is just not true for me. Blue Beetle has been getting lotsa reviews and its one of the most critically acclaimed book in the new52.

Avatar image for harrison_thawne
    Harrison_Thawne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wally West, duh. The new version is pretty much the opposite of the way he was originally, and that's NOT for the better.

All of the Teen Titans who were from Pre-52. The new characters are all okay, except for Bunker who is amazing.

The Joker. I don't even have to explain.

Kyle Rayner.

Cyborg, although I do like the idea that he misses being an ordinary human (I'm not sure if they had that in Pre-52 at all).

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

The Teen Titans. Really any character that has had such a longer history with the team feels like they have something stripped away from them.

The Joker. I like the stories he was in though he is less of a pratical joker and homicidal maniac and now just a horrific homicidal maniac.

Harley Quinn. Really I just miss her old costume. It was perfect! Her solo book has done well at capturing her spirit.

Mr. Freeze. I miss his sympathetic story.

Wally West. They just took his name and threw it at some new character to shut us up.

Donna Troy. I barely read into it though I have a feeling I won't like what they did to do Donna.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@saren: looks better than his original design

In terms of who was better off:

Superman had a better status quo, books are about on par or in some cases better than pre-Flashpoint

Martian Manhunter had a history

Cyborg was not shoved down throats

Wally West.......................I hate New 52 Wally West. I hope he dies.

Captain Marv-......err, Shazam!!!!.................garbage. Just garbage. The blonde ho stealing his name doesn't make things better.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off the top of my head...

Harley Quinn, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Captain Marvel, Superman's costume, Wally West. Wally West went from being Flash for over twenty years to a palette swapped stereotype.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel and Black Adam

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While New 52 mostly has been for the better in my opinion, there are a few characters that were messed up with its introduction, and were far better Pre-Flashpoint.

• Green Arrow - while his book has overall been largely ups and downs, with Vol. 4 and 5 being brillaint and the rest awful, the character of Oliver Queen is less Green Arrow, and more CW's Arrow. The lighthearted, quick on his feet in smartass responses Oliver is gone for a younger, more serious Arrow. While in the recent two volumes the book has taken a sharp jump upwards in quality, his personality is still lacking in likability, and is nothing like his Pre-Flashpoint counterpart.
    • Shazam - not much to say on this, but Billy Batson is a brat. They took the overly-boyish and nice Billy from before the New 52, and went to the other end of the spectrum - a completely unlikable brat. I can appreciate what they were trying, but it didn't pay off well.
    • Red Hood - I could complain for days about this, but I'll keep it short. They took the emotionally imbalanced, deadly antihero of Jason Todd, and made him boring, with barely any personality and acted nothing like his counterpart to before the New 52.
    • Arsenal - the worst changes were made here. Similarly to Red Hood, they took a deadly antihero with a tragic but brilliant backstory, and threw it away. Instead of the tragic death of his daughter - nothing. Instead of his heroin addiction, it's alchohol. And his personality from before New 52 was thrown away, as was Red Hood's. Instead, we get a cheerful, annoyingly smartass "Arsenal", who still has his arm. Which would mean he should be called Red Arrow, not Arsenal. But anyway.
    • Starfire - I'm going to quote an Amazon review here, as it puts it perfecly; "She is a bigot and a murderer, and gleeful about both. She has killed people that were kind to her, as well as enemies, and these are her most cherished memories. If not for Roy and Jason, she would have brutally murdered her attacker (once rendered helpless) with a smile on her face. On top of this, she complains that the people of earth are "unwelcoming of aliens", she clearly views humans as inferior to herself; and while she claims to sympathize with her attacker's pain that caused his descent into madness, she clearly has no real problem with what her fellow Temeranians did to his family."

These are the few characters that New 52 messed up on, in my opinion. Overall I've been loving the New 52, and it's massively improved on it's characters and it's story arcs. These are just what I view as what they got wrong.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97:

Red Hoods last Appearances pre new 52 in the Batman and Robin Series were imo quite horrible and I'm actually glad that ginger-pillow-helmet-Jason is not continuity any more.

"Rise of Arsenal" was also bad (but I have to admit that I don't know what happened to Roy after it).

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Robin (mostly due to gripes with the new costume compared to the old one which was taken from Kingdom Come. Even that bit in his own series where he was in that dream world, he had a better costume than he does in New 52). I don't mind his new origins, but I prefer his old one.

Wally West definitely.

Eobard Thawne.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wonder Woman

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13:

It depends if you're talking about looks or stories. But you know each characters have had many looks and stories told pre-52 so it's hard to compare.

I find the New Lobo to be ugly and uncool compare the "main man". Story wise some are good, some are bad, it has always been so.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.