Which comics to pick up

#1 Posted by NVX4444 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi, I've just recently gotten in DC comics and have been reading up on some since the New 52 reboot. So far, I've been reading Batman, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Green Arrow. I've enjoyed all of them with the exception of Green Arrow, which has been a huge disappointment for me. Does it get any better or should I drop it? And I've been thinking about picking up some more comics. Which would you recommend? I want to read more on Tim Drake, so should I get Teen Titans? I was thinking about Flash too. I'm open to suggestions

#2 Posted by sagejonathan (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard that after the writer change, green arrow is better. I reccommend you look at Blue Beetle.

#3 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

I also have wanted to pick up Green Arrow but I heard that it started off pretty badly. As said above, it has supposedly improved but I still haven't heard many people recommending it.

As for reccommendations, I think Aquaman has been really great.

#4 Edited by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't go back to Green Arrow. It hasn't improved.

I recommend:

• Justice League by Geoff Johns, Jim Lee and others
  • Aquaman by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis
  • Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins
  • The Flash by Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellato and Marcus To
  • Action Comics by Grant Morrsion, Rags Morales and others
  • Green Lantern (only if you are willing to buy a lot of trades) by Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke
  • Green Lantern Corps by Peter Tomasi and Fernando Pasarin
  • Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette and others
  • Animal Man by Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman and Steve Pugh
  • Justice League Dark (starting from issue 9, the previous issues were a bore) by Jeff Lemire and Mikel Janin
  • Earth 2 by James Robinson, Nicola Scott and Tomas Giorello
  • DC Universe Presents by various (ignore issues 6-8, they're terrible)
#5 Posted by NVX4444 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I've gotten past the writer change. I'm on issue #10 I think and it's been pretty meh for me. I almost will definitely drop it. I've never been a big Aquaman fan, but I've heard great things about it so I'll probably check that one out. Can someone tell me more about Animal Man and Swamp Thing? People have said the two go together. Should I get both?

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@NVX4444: Yeah, they're both pretty good. Swamp Thing is a horror comic with creepy imagery whereas Animal Man is a superhero/horror comic with very graphic imagery.

And yes, Aquaman has been awesome

#7 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Try Peter Cannon Thunderbolt. First issue just came out. Art is GREAT and story is pretty cool, especially if you like kung fu.

#8 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6013 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get Teen Titans...the book sinda sucks and Flash is good I heard. I recommend from Dc to pick Up Animal Man, Batwoman and AquaMan

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7209 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Action Comics
  • All-Star Western
  • Animal Man
  • Aquaman
  • Batman Incorporated
  • Earth 2
  • Green Lantern
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Justice League (start with #7)
  • Justice League Dark (start with #9)
  • Swamp Thing

The ones in bold are the ones I recommend the most.

#10 Posted by NVX4444 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks guys, i'll look into some of them :D

#11 Posted by Catsnlynne (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Green Arrow. I think people should give it a try.
#12 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anybody reccommend Demon Knights? I picked up the first issue a while back and thought it was so, so but haven't read anything past that.
#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz: I do. It's a fantastic and fun series.

#14 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Thanks for the input :). Glad to know its worth checking out.

#15 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz: Glad to help. I wish more people would buy this series, because it truly is underrated and overlooked. Vandal Savage is a lot of fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.