Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Where do superheroes get their costumes?

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Crazy Pan

I ask this because I've only actually seen one comic that explained briefly about superhero costumes. It was in JSA when Cyclone made her costume they had like a BIG room full of fabric and stuff to make costumes with. And then of course in Kick Ass they kind of just threw something together. But what about like the JLA? Where do they get their costumes? Do they just make them themselves, do they also have a big room of fabric and such? If they DO all make them for themselves, how is it that everyone is so good at making costumes? Did everyone take a class in fashion design and assembly? I mean I just find it hard to believe that with as intricate as some of the costumes are that ALL superheroes just know how to make costumes... Surely they had SOMEONE to help them out or something... So... answers? o.o

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Emma Frost got hers from Victoria SEcret.
    Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crazy Pan

Oh, DC comics only please. I could care less about Marvel >.> No offense to Marvel people!! But that is interesting that Emma got hers from Victoria Secret hehe :D

Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bathory1313

Edna Mode.... and guest

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crazy Pan
    @Bathory1313 said:
    " Edna Mode.... and guest "
    HAH!!
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Magian

Well, Fantastic Four make their own costumes since Reed Richards created the unstable molecules and in the Image Universe there is a superhero tailor. Invincible got his costume from him.

Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bathory1313

I guess that's Disney... my assumption is that they do make their own costumes.. Batman has gone through progressions of costumes, and at time's you've seen Alfred stitching his stuff... but with Bruce Wayne he's also a Billionaire and probably can afford a costume designer.... 

Not sure.. if you look at it this way it's only colored spandex... so it's pretty simple really ...lol

cosmicwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By cosmicwitch

I know the bat-family has theirs "subcontracted to different manufacturers" (Robin 175). But of course they have the money for it. I think superman't mom made his cape, cuz I vaguely remember reading it somewhere. There are always costume shops (Harley Quinn) or plant life (Poisn Ivy), or magical-rings-that-provide-costumes / alien-scarabs (Green Lantern / Blue Beetle), and the less common Amazonian battle costume (Wonder Woman).

If you really think about it actual costume, costumes don't exactly exist as much as they used to. Just look at superboy and wondergirl. Their current costumes are just jeans and T-shirts. Everyone else has either overpaid tailors, are given their costumes, or they hit the costume shack. The only person I ever remember mentioning them making their costumes was Babs Batgirl at the beginning, Spoiler / Robin 4, and Superman. It could be that I shy more towards the bat-fam and know nothing, but barely anyone that i've read makes their own costumes.

MeNotBizarro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MeNotBizarro

There was a guy in a Batman comic who made stuff. Robin, Hush, and Huntress all went to him at some point. He refers to another guy, who due to his fantastic referral, sounded rather flimsy in his work. Unless we're talking about superman. His mommy made it for him.
    Myst1que

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Myst1que

Well, in the comics there isn't really any logic, but most superheroes don't wear costume.. look at the Avengers for example: Black Widow wears her S.H.I.E.L.D uniform, and the same with Hawkeye, Iron Man wears his suit with Under-Armour underneath, Thor wears Asguardian battle armor, Hulk wears whatever fits, usually some purple pants. Captain America wears his war uniform when he was a stage boy. Now JLA, Green Lantern's is his corps uniform, Wonder Woman is amazonian armor, Martian Manhunter just wears what he thinks are stereotypical superhero clothes because he can make them out of his weird skin, Batman wears a suit he made with his genius mind and wealth resembling a bat with gliders on the back which slowly progressed into a cape, The flash wears a suit made for him that can support the friction of his super-speed that he made look fancy, Aquaman wears his jail outfit from Atlantis (i think) and Cyborg wears nothing as of his cyborg body. Superman is a funny one, i have no clue but in the movie they said it was some special Kryptonian suit that soldiers over there wore, but thinner so it could withstand his flight speed (even though he has invulnerable skin) an it is also a symbol of hope.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Superman's costume was made by his mom outta his baby blankets. I think nowadays they are saying its Kryptonian battle armor.

Batman's I think was made by Alfred or at least often fixed by Alfred. I never heard of the superhero tailor though so that one is probably most likely.

Robin's was his circus costume if I remember correctly from Dark Victory. I don't know where it came from originally. The Golden Age doesn't really explain that stuff.

Wonder Woman's was always made by the Amazons.

Green Lantern's is produced by the ring.

Flash's costume was made for him originally designed and made with the help of Iris's dad, Ira West. Ira West doesn't show up in the comics anymore so I don't know about nowadays.

Aquaman's was his Atlantean jail uniform.

Martian Manhunter can simply make his own.

Wally's Kid Flash was the same as Barry's Flash.

Donna's Wonder Girl is probably very similar to Wonder Woman's. I'll look into it.

Green Arrow's was originally just his Robin Hood costume he wore to a Halloween party.

Draksis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr Incredible got his from Edna Mode lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.