Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

What would make DC Comics better?

• 59 results
    Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Emerald Warrior

So, as a long time DC fan, I've always antagonized Marvel fans because they think "their"  publisher is better than DC... I completely disagree!!!

HOWEVER, the numbrers speak for themselves. Marvel holding a 42% of the market share makes it pretty clear that MOST readers like Marvel better than DC.  

Originally I was going to ask why, but i think the better question is:  What do you guys think DC would need to do to beat (or at least match) Marvel in popularity? 

Or even better:   What would it take for YOU to like DC better?

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DEADPOOL

Weaker heroes, and villains that pose a more believable threat (although their villains might pose more believable threats if the heroes were weaker).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

More black characters.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Vance Astro said:
    " More black characters. "
    DC has more recurring Black characters than Marvel does, or atleast I'm pretty sure.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    DC has more recurring Black characters than Marvel does, or atleast I'm pretty sure. "
    That's not enough.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    DC has more recurring Black characters than Marvel does, or atleast I'm pretty sure. "
    That's not enough. "
    And Milestone..but Milestone sucks hard.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    That's not enough. "
    And Milestone..but Milestone sucks hard. "
    They only took in Milestones to cover up all the racist sh#t they used to write in the 50's.Like how Disney made the Princess Bride because people keep saying there's no black people in Disney movies.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    That's not enough. "
    They only took in Milestones to cover up all the racist sh#t they used to write in the 50's.Like how Disney made the Princess Bride because people keep saying there's no black people in Disney movies. "
    Princess Bride?

You mean the Frog movie?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    That's not enough. "
    They only took in Milestones to cover up all the racist sh#t they used to write in the 50's.Like how Disney made the Princess Bride because people keep saying there's no black people in Disney movies. "
    Princess Bride?  You mean the Frog movie? "
    Princess and the Frog..my bad.
    Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

Not sure why but I've always thought of Martian Manhunter as Black...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

i say dc and marvel are equal quality wise dc's biggest problem is there main characters seem to set themselves above people whereas marvel characters are more relatable look at the two most well known characters from each superman and spiderman. superman has all the power a hero would ever want or need and is looked up to by almost everyone nd in his secret i.d. hes a pulitzer prize winning journalist with a hot wife, spiderman on the otherhand is relativly weak compared to alot of the heros and villains running around he gets almost no respect in his secret i.d. hes got money trouble, a shitty boss, and other everyday issues that everyone has yes he had a hot wife but honestly he earned atleast that much karmically speaking, but he has far more in common with regular people.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By EisforExtinction

Marvel puts out more books.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Donnieman v5.1 said:
    " Not sure why but I've always thought of Martian Manhunter as Black... "
    LOL.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17  Edited By The_Martian
    @Emerald Warrior:  I think the problem is that you are assuming just because people like Marvel means they dislike DC. I would say that is untrue for most comic book fans.  Marvel gets more readers though because Marvel knows how to advertise. They know what is going to grab peoples attention and they pull them in. Just look at DC Comics website compared to Marvel Comics. There is not even a comparison.
    Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Paragon
    @Nobody said:
    " @Emerald Warrior:  I think the problem is that you are assuming just because people like Marvel means they dislike DC. I would say that is untrue for most comic book fans.  Marvel gets more readers though because Marvel knows how to advertise. They know what is going to grab peoples attention and they pull them in. Just look at DC Comics website compared to Marvel Comics. There is not even a comparison. "
    Marvel also takes every book they have and splits them into 3 separate series every 2-3 years, and you miss 90% of the story without them.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Martian
    @Paragon said:

" @Nobody said:

" @Emerald Warrior:  I think the problem is that you are assuming just because people like Marvel means they dislike DC. I would say that is untrue for most comic book fans.  Marvel gets more readers though because Marvel knows how to advertise. They know what is going to grab peoples attention and they pull them in. Just look at DC Comics website compared to Marvel Comics. There is not even a comparison. "
    Marvel also takes every book they have and splits them into 3 separate series every 2-3 years, and you miss 90% of the story without them. "
    Because they know how to market a book.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Nobody said:
     Just look at DC Comics website compared to Marvel Comics. There is not even a comparison. "
    So true.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By danhimself

Marvel publishes a LOT of titles though so that increases sales right there....DC has the better writers though

GothamBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GothamBat
    @Nobody:
    i agree with you. though i do like DC more than Marvel, i still like a few of the Marvel characters.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Jotham

I would read more DC comics if their characters were more relatable, as in realistic lives and problems, and not being so freaking powerful in general.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @danhimself said:
    " Marvel publishes a LOT of titles though so that increases sales right there....DC has the better writers though "
    Nah uh..they just don't have anyone as bad as Bendis :)
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By IrishX
    @Jotham said:
    "I would read more DC comics if their characters were more relatable, as in realistic lives and problems, and not being so freaking powerful in general. "

Same here.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Caligula

I already like DC, and I think it's fine the way it is. they need to keep doing what they are doing. It's for the more mature readers who like great story-telling. 

Marvel is only more popular, because of the marketing and whoreing they do. They have sold out in every possible way to achieve the status they have. while they produce lack-luster comics, and products over-all. only kids like Marvel, I liked Marvel as a child. Buti grew up and realized that Marvel is tap-dancing monkey and bends over for every dollar they get. while DC hold their grounds, and continue to make comics the way they always have. and that's why true comics fans know DC is the real king in the comics industry. and any one who says marvel has better story-telling they need their head examined, or they have never even opened a DC book.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Caligula said:

" I already like DC, and I think it's fine the way it is. they need to keep doing what they are doing. It's for the more mature readers who like great story-telling.  Marvel is only more popular, because of the marketing and whoreing they do. They have sold out in every possible way to achieve the status they have. while they produce lack-luster comics, and products over-all. only kids like Marvel, I liked Marvel as a child. Buti grew up and realized that Marvel is tap-dancing monkey and bends over for every dollar they get. while DC hold their grounds, and continue to make comics the way they always have. and that's why true comics fans know DC is the real king in the comics industry. and any one who says marvel has better story-telling they need their head examined, or they have never even opened a DC book. "

That's kind of ignorant to say.Better story-telling is in your opinion so how can you say something is wrong with people who think Marvel writes better stories.I for one would rather read Avengers than JLA any day.I for one would rather read Daredevil than Batman but that's my preference.I would say the stories are better because they have elements I like but it's MY OPINION.And as far as selling out..Marvel is a business.That's all I have to say about that.
    SuperGamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By SuperGamera

i like dc better. i still like marvel but it seems that half their stories are x-men or some other x-team related
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Caligula
    @Vance Astro said:
    "@Caligula said:

" I already like DC, and I think it's fine the way it is. they need to keep doing what they are doing. It's for the more mature readers who like great story-telling.  Marvel is only more popular, because of the marketing and whoreing they do. They have sold out in every possible way to achieve the status they have. while they produce lack-luster comics, and products over-all. only kids like Marvel, I liked Marvel as a child. Buti grew up and realized that Marvel is tap-dancing monkey and bends over for every dollar they get. while DC hold their grounds, and continue to make comics the way they always have. and that's why true comics fans know DC is the real king in the comics industry. and any one who says marvel has better story-telling they need their head examined, or they have never even opened a DC book. "

That's kind of ignorant to say.Better story-telling is in your opinion so how can you say something is wrong with people who think Marvel writes better stories.I for one would rather read Avengers than JLA any day.I for one would rather read Daredevil than Batman but that's my preference.I would say the stories are better because they have elements I like but it's MY OPINION.And as far as selling out..Marvel is a business.That's all I have to say about that. "

How is better Story-Telling an opinion?

If a person can't write worth shit, they can't write worth shit. the Only good stories Marvel has ever told are for the most part written by guys who used to work for DC, or they work for DC now. Marvel has no exclusive writers worth crap. and like I said Better writing is not an opinion. it's a fact. Like for instance I you or I wrote a story, almost certainley it's not gonna be up to par with guys like Ennis or Moore. you see what i'm saying. Marvel is to over-rated. and half of their titles revolve around the X-Men, who are absolutely horrendous. I take that back Matt Fraction is pretty good. But he is like the only really great writer Marvel has exclusively.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Caligula said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    "@Caligula said:

That's kind of ignorant to say.Better story-telling is in your opinion so how can you say something is wrong with people who think Marvel writes better stories.I for one would rather read Avengers than JLA any day.I for one would rather read Daredevil than Batman but that's my preference.I would say the stories are better because they have elements I like but it's MY OPINION.And as far as selling out..Marvel is a business.That's all I have to say about that. "

If a person can't write worth shit, they can't write worth shit. the Only good stories Marvel has ever told are for the most part written by guys who used to work for DC, or they work for DC now. Marvel has no exclusive writers worth crap. and like I said Better writing is not an opinion. it's a fact. Like for instance I you or I wrote a story, almost certainley it's not gonna be up to par with guys like Ennis or Moore. you see what i'm saying. Marvel is to over-rated. and half of their titles revolve around the X-Men, who are absolutely horrendous. I take that back Matt Fraction is pretty good. But he is like the only really great writer Marvel has exclusively.

"
    Because what makes something a good story is an opinion.It can't be proven,it's subject to preference.Any sentence that starts with "The only good stories etc" is up to your preference.Comparing me and you to people who get payed to write doesn't make much sense.There are artists that get work that I personally think I am better than but that's my opinion.It's obvious someone has the room to disagree with me.It can't be proven.Also if half the Marvel books revolve around the X-men how come I read so much Marvel but none of the titles I read revolve around the X-men? Avenger:Initiative,Daredevil,Iron Man,Siege,New Avengers,Mighty Avengers,Captain America,Hulk,Amazing Spider-Man,Thor,Moon Knight,Spider-Woman and so on all books I read don't have jack to do with the X-men.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Caligula
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    "@Caligula said:

"
    Because what makes something a good story is an opinion.It can't be proven,it's subject to preference.Any sentence that starts with "The only good stories etc" is up to your preference.Comparing me and you to people who get payed to write doesn't make much sense.There are artists that get work that I personally think I am better than but that's my opinion.It's obvious someone has the room to disagree with me.It can't be proven.Also if half the Marvel books revolve around the X-men how come I read so much Marvel but none of the titles I read revolve around the X-men? Avenger:Initiative,Daredevil,Iron Man,Siege,New Avengers,Mighty Avengers,Captain America,Hulk,Amazing Spider-Man,Thor,Moon Knight,Spider-Woman and so on all books I read don't have jack to do with the X-men. "

X-Men Books far outnumber all of those though/ 

New X-Men 
    X-Force 
    Weapon-X 
    Ultimate X-Men 
    Agent X 
    Adventures of X-Men 
    Astonishing X-Men 
    Uncanny X-Men 
    Cable 
    Cable & Deadpool 
    Classic X-Men 
    Dazzler 
    Deapool 
    Deadpool : Merc with a Mouth 
    District X 
    Emma Frost 
    Excalibur 
    Exhiles 
    Gambit 
    Generation X 
    Maverick 
    Nation X 
    New Mutants 
    Professor Xavier and the X-men 
    Quicksilver

Wolverine 
    New Excalibur 
    Mutant X 
    Night Crawler 
    Sentinel

Rogue

Wolverine Origins 
    Wolverine First Class 
    Alpha Flight

X-Man 
    X-Factor 
    Young X-Men 

and I know there is more out there than that, those are jsut the ones I have seen or heard of personally. that is far too many X-titles

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Caligula said:

X-Men Books far outnumber all of those though/ 

New X-Men 
    X-Force 
    Weapon-X 
    Ultimate X-Men 
    Agent X 
    Adventures of X-Men 
    Astonishing X-Men 
    Uncanny X-Men 
    Cable 
    Cable & Deadpool 
    Classic X-Men 
    Dazzler 
    Deapool 
    Deadpool : Merc with a Mouth 
    District X 
    Emma Frost 
    Excalibur 
    Exhiles 
    Gambit 
    Generation X 
    Maverick 
    Nation X 
    New Mutants 
    Professor Xavier and the X-men 
    Quicksilver

Wolverine 
    New Excalibur 
    Mutant X 
    Night Crawler 
    Sentinel

Rogue

Wolverine Origins 
    Wolverine First Class 
    Alpha Flight

X-Man 
    X-Factor 
    Young X-Men 

and I know there is more out there than that, those are jsut the ones I have seen or heard of personally. that is far too many X-titles

"
    Half of those books are miniseries and comics that don't currently drop issues.I can do this same thing for the Avengers.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

In all seriousness I would read more DC is they had a better character roster.There are very few DC characters than I like.Also I find it hard to get into certain characters because their origins don't reflect their powers.For instance..Batgirl (Cassie) has physical feats beyond that of Moon Knight (even when he had his powers),Daredevil,Hawkeye,Echo,etc. I could go all day.Her abilities are closer to someone of Captain America or Black Panther stature yet neither character was able to train to that level.They had to take herbs and serums to be what they are uyet DC's street levelers reach peak human levels just by training.It's ridiculous to me.I think DC's best books are the ones that seem to go unrecognized.Books like Secret Six,Red Robin,Wonder Woman,Birds of Prey,Manhunter (cancelled),etc. I just want some more quality characters. People say "characters I can relate to" but I will never be able to relate to comic characters.I just like certain things in my comic heroes and not alot of DC characters have it.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Yung ANcient One

So, as a long time DC fan, I've always antagonized Marvel fans because they think "their"  publisher is better than DC... I completely disagree!!!

Marvel is better because its the new and improved story telling. Sorry DC Fans its true...
    Back in the day there was no true character development Bats... yes Batman was smiling when wearing the costume it was like his parents death didnt effect him that much...

We never saw There Real life problems jus Super Hero problems which was jus BAd Guys or bad things happening to the public

Then The MAN Stan Lee... came up with FF and created a great story... of Super Heroes with Real life issues because there entire life was about being a super hero so society knew who they were and all that plus the family drama... most noticeably... Ben and Johnny fighting each other.... more people related to the FF's family than The Super Friends fighting bad guys...

Which by the way was a risk... everyone told Stan he needed more action and less dialogue...

anyways the rest is history.

Spidey came out U got MORE Real Life Drama and more stories where u could relate to the character. and blah blah blah

u kno the rest DC realized Doode we need more Dialogue... and they got it... Doode we need more character and they got it...

Batman went from having a sidekick that said Holly cammoly dupper batman... to being a dark gritty character not wanting a sidekick...

Superman started  to get complicated too... u kno... before it was super easy to be superman then all of a sudden its hard they started explaining how its hard to be the Golden boy all the time... living with internal turmoil because he doesnt want to loose control(kinda like Hulk)... and etc...

Anyways.

Marvel is better IMO... its the new and improved Comics soon DC followed up, and changed to compete with Marvel.

Now MArvel is running the game apperantly. for several reasons
    They know how to promote things.
    They do huge cross overs and DC doesnt apparently... 
    and
    The Marvel Characters are still more relatable...  (apparently im not the only one that feels that way)

DC hold their grounds, and continue to make comics the way they always have.

Thats a load of BULL
    If they stood there grounds then WHy did BAtman become Gritty? He changed jus like everyone Else DEAL WITH IT.

like I said Better writing is not an opinion. 

Oh EM GEee ur one of those Guys... always about "Facts" when they have no idea Everything in life is up for interpretation.

As my one friend said to my bias Marvel Fanboy friend I'll give you DC when you feel like reading Grown up books 

I kno DComics are Colorful stories filled with FICTION... for adults... Yay... 

but sarcasm aside. isnt that a matter of Opinion?... How are Fictional characters act more like adults than other Fictional characters?
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

As my one friend said to my bias Marvel Fanboy friend I'll give you DC when you feel like reading Grown up books

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i finished.^^^^^

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Caligula
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    "As my one friend said to my bias Marvel Fanboy friend I'll give you DC when you feel like reading Grown up books "

agreed.
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    Oh biasness called facts... never stops to amaze me.
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yung ANcient One

This SCREAMS Adults ONLY

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Remember these are FOR GROWN UPS

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Nerx

Get superman to kick something in New Earth continuity , does he have a disability that prevents him to do that?

Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
    TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character I have created in my mind .

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Watch Dog
    @Caligula: Your opinions are not facts so do not present them as such thank you.

Well if DC wants to sell me more stuff they can give Hawkman and Hawkgirl their own title again and bring back the real JLA and git rid of what I like to call JLA lite
    Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Donnieman v5.1 said:
    " Not sure why but I've always thought of Martian Manhunter as Black... "
    Well if I remember correctly, Martian Manhunter did take the form of a black man for a while and called himself Bloodwynd.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nighthunter

Marvel sells more comics, Marvel also puts thrice as much product as DC. DC is almost always on the top position when it comes to tps/hardcovers though

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " As my one friend said to my bias Marvel Fanboy friend I'll give you DC when you feel like reading Grown up books "
    How is DC more grown up than Marvel? Unless you count the fact they own Vertigo...
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " As my one friend said to my bias Marvel Fanboy friend I'll give you DC when you feel like reading Grown up books "
    How is DC more grown up than Marvel? Unless you count the fact they own Vertigo... "
    IDK I just thought it was funny
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    How is DC more grown up than Marvel? Unless you count the fact they own Vertigo... "
    IDK I just thought it was funny "
    That question was more to Caligula because he agreed.
    Jerry Seinfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#48  Edited By Jerry Seinfeld

Nothing needs to be done DC is spectacular and where it's at. IMO much better than Marvel, but I will be willing to try and get into Marvel and find some good Marvel stories. Any suggestions?
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Martian
    @Jerry Seinfeld said:
    " Nothing needs to be done DC is spectacular and where it's at. IMO much better than Marvel, but I will be willing to try and get into Marvel and find some good Marvel stories. Any suggestions? "
    It depends what type of characters interest you.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Caligula
    @Watch Dog said:

" @Caligula: Your opinions are not facts so do not present them as such thank you.  Well if DC wants to sell me more stuff they can give Hawkman and Hawkgirl their own title again and bring back the real JLA and git rid of what I like to call JLA lite "

Shut up, Better writing is not an opinion. and if you think it is then obviously you need to go back to school

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.