Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

What if baby Superman landed in the ocean?

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

1. Nobody to raise him
    2. Raised by a pod of dolphins
    3. Raised by a family of Atlanteans
    Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty sure Jor-El would at least have some guiding system into the rocket or something because if not the Earth is mostly ocean so there is bigger chance that he would land in the ocean and maybe even just die out there.

I like the idea of him being raise by Atlanteans, somebody should make a comic book about that lol

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

I'm pretty sure Jor-El would at least have some guiding system into the rocket or something because if not the Earth is mostly ocean so there is bigger chance that he would land in the ocean and maybe even just die out there.

I like the idea of him being raise by Atlanteans, somebody should make a comic book about that lol

Yea, I would read that.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JakeN7

For #1 He drowns.

For # 2 He becomes the most powerful dolphin-themed superhero.

For # 3 Aquaman would be Superman's bestest bud instead of Batman.

When Atlanteans go to war with the surface dwellers, we lose in a day. Arthur becomes Emperor of the Earth, and Superman becomes his right-hand man/bodyguard/general of the Atlantean army.

Okay I need that Elseworld story in my life right now.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@_gaff_ said:

@jphu8414 said:

Yea, I would read that.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Chances are he'd drown. He gets his power from the Earth's sun, which he wouldn't have been exposed to if his pod simply landed in the ocean. If drowning or the pressure didn't kill him, chances are that starvation would have. It'd be the equivalent of a human baby in a pod crashing into the ocean.

Though Superman being raised by Atlanteans does sound like a pretty cool Elseworlds story...I miss Elseworlds...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@jaken7:

Probably they would more like brothers, they seem like they are at same age and also similiar powers. But how Superman would breath underwater. As baby, he wont have notion of his powers yet.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

Chances are he'd drown. He gets his power from the Earth's sun, which he wouldn't have been exposed to if his pod simply landed in the ocean. If drowning or the pressure didn't kill him, chances are that starvation would have. It'd be the equivalent of a human baby in a pod crashing into the ocean.

Though Superman being raised by Atlanteans does sound like a pretty cool Elseworlds story...I miss Elseworlds...

Maybe the pod had a specially designed window, tube feeding, and took a couple years worth of trips around the Earth before it landed. When he lands, he lucks out, and the Atlanteans happen upon him almost immediately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would drown and die

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JakeN7

@vitalius: Yeah, that's why I said he'd drown in the first scenario. I'm assuming dolphins and Atlanteans found him in the other 2 scenarios.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@supbatz said:

Maybe the pod had a specially designed window, tube feeding, and took a couple years worth of trips around the Earth before it landed. When he lands, he lucks out, and the Atlanteans happen upon him almost immediately.

I imagine that it does have some sort of "tube feeding" to sustain infant Superman until he reaches a host family. Not sure if a window would be practical, but who am I to say? As for the years worth of trips around the Earth, I don't think that would happen just because Superman is typically portrayed as an infant put in a pod to match his size when he leaves Krypton. Wouldn't want him to orbit the Earth several times only to outgrow his pod. Atlanteans finding him almost immediately after he crashes into the ocean is a reasonable assumption. Though I'm not sure that he would survive underwater unless he was given time to take in the sun's rays on the surface. All this is just speculation, of course.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC would be ruined

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marionettegeist

@supbatz said:

@marionettegeist said:

@supbatz said:

I imagine that it does have some sort of "tube feeding" to sustain infant Superman until he reaches a host family.

Yeah, I've never really been sure how that worked, or even how long he spent in space. Not really too far read up as far as Superman goes. Does it ever say?

Not sure if a window would be practical, but who am I to say?

Well, the ISS has windows (not glass, of course).

As for the years worth of trips around the Earth, I don't think that would happen just because Superman is typically portrayed as an infant put in a pod to match his size when he leaves Krypton. Wouldn't want him to orbit the Earth several times only to outgrow his pod.

True. The size of the pod would have to be changed for the story to work.

Atlanteans finding him almost immediately after he crashes into the ocean is a reasonable assumption. Though I'm not sure that he would survive underwater unless he was given time to take in the sun's rays on the surface. All this is just speculation, of course.

If the pod was able to orbit around Earth for a while, he would absorb plenty of the sun's rays through the window. I was working off of the assumption that that would be enough, but I honestly have no idea on this one.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

For #1 He drowns.

For # 2 He becomes the most powerful dolphin-themed superhero.

For # 3 Aquaman would be Superman's bestest bud instead of Batman.

When Atlanteans go to war with the surface dwellers, we lose in a day. Arthur becomes Emperor of the Earth, and Superman becomes his right-hand man/bodyguard/general of the Atlantean army.

Okay I need that Elseworld story in my life right now.

Unless they're Orm loyalists. In which case, Superfish would probably kill Arthur. He might even claim the throne for himself. Can't assume his parents would be anything like Martha and Jonathan.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: Well that would be an interesting story as well. I like the first premise better though. Couldn't stand another evil Superman story, and I'd like to see a fleshed-out relationship between Curry and Kent (although I guess he wouldn't be Clark Kent if he wasn't raised by ma and pa, huh?)

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can bend the rules a little guys.

Red Son Spoiler

Red Son Superman wasn't even from Krypton.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

But i still both like that idea.

Superman a alien that come to Earth after his planet Krypto was destroyed and landed on ocean where a family of dolphins. They raised and some years after dolphins send him to America where will learn to fit in along side the humans. And now Superman fight now for the america and dolphins values against evil. And at weekends, he does show for kids at the local aquapark to connect with dolphin origins.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@jaken7:

But i still both like that idea.

Superman a alien that come to Earth after his planet Krypto was destroyed and landed on ocean where a family of dolphins. They raised and some years after dolphins send him to America where will learn to fit in along side the humans. And now Superman fight now for the america and dolphins values against evil and weekends, he does show for kids at the local aquapark.

Dolphins don't like weekends?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JakeN7

@_gaff_ said:

Red Son Spoiler

Yes he is...

...just one billions of years in the future

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

I meant that " and at weekends," i am going to correct that.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@_gaff_ said:

Red Son Spoiler

Yes he is...

I don't think so friend. I can't provide a scan but this is taken straight from the book.

JOR-L : "I gave them firm substantiated evidence that Earth is on the brink of collapsing into our own sun and they tell me the planet's merely shifting its orbit."

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gaff_ said:

@jaken7 said:

@_gaff_ said:

Red Son Spoiler

Yes he is...

I don't think so friend. I can't provide a scan but this is taken straight from the book.

JOR-L : "I gave them firm substantiated evidence that Earth is on the brink of collapsing into our own sun and they tell me the planet's merely shifting its orbit."

"Billions of years in the future, it is revealed that Earth is being torn apart by tidal stresses from the sun, which has become a red giant. Luthor's distant descendant, Jor-L, sends his infant son, Kal-L, rocketing back into the past. The final panels of the comic book depict the landing of Kal-L's timeship in a Ukrainian collective in 1938, effectively causing a predestination paradox."

I guess he's technically from Earth because his own descendant is still living on Earth and then sends himself back in time. Should still have originated from Krypton, it's just when the first rocket (from Krypton) was sent away, and then stuff happened, it created a time loop where a baby is always sent back in time, he grows up, stuff happens, then his descendant sends a baby back in time, he grows up, stuff happens, then his descendant sends a baby back in time, etc. Rinse and repeat, and that time loop never leaves Earth.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
    name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is the Silver Age or Bronze Age Superman, he wouldn't drown as a baby.

In at least some Silver Age stories, baby Superman began to develop his superpowers while entering the atmosphere in his rocketship, before he was exposed to sunlight.

The idea his powers developed slowly (and that he needed to breath) was part of the John Byrne reboot of our favorite Kryptonian male.

HOWEVER, if he were raised by Atlanteans and grew up swimming in the ocean waters, he would probably have no idea how to fly. His heat vision would probably be called "steam vision", and his freeze breath would probably resemble an anti-gravity power since ice floats to the surface (unless it's deep enough that ice can not actually form). He would also be seen as a mind-mute by the Atlanteans due to his lack of telepathy.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chances are he would be found by the people from Atlantis.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Damn, I REALLY like the story of him being raised in Atlantis. Although I have a feeling him and Aquaman would have a total Thor/Loki vibe to them.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The atlantean version sounds cool. Maybe they realize he can't breath under water and they build a suit for him. And since he lives on the bottom of the ocean he wouldn't be exposed to sunlight.

Also when he does go to the surface world he can't take off the suit because he is not acquainted to the pollution. Clark Curry would disobey his father and visit the surface world and fall in love and during his visits there is an alien invasion (mongol or brainiac or someone). Aquaman does not want to help the surface world and Clark goes in for the final fight discovering his powers as he battles (obviously he wouldn't be as strong at first due to lack of sunlight over the years)

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww, Superbaby :)

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lightblaze

Probably Aquaman's parents would have save him lol.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can superman drown??? maybe as a baby....

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He'd be f*cked.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He dies. Lex has no one to live for. Lois is Wonder Woman's love interest.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would drown, his puny fetus eventually washing up on shore like the tiniest, saddest beached whale. A young child pokes the limp body with a stick, as the salt water has rotted Clark's skin, giving it the fluorescent visage a grandmothers veiny breasts. Eventually, it is devoured by aquatic life and carrion.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall225: I would think he could drown no matter what the age. Can he survive off just sunlight alone or does he need oxygen too? If he needs oxygen then he can drown like anybody else. it's just he can hold his breathe a Really long time

@Justthatkid: can't count the Golden age, they made up powers every other issue

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would laugh my @ss off in scenario 1, just to see that happen- big ol' dramatic thing with his spaceship and stuff, and then just *splash*. Roll credits.

Scenario 2 would be even funnier.

Scenario 3 would be bad@ss.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still death

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The Atlantis idea seems like a pretty badass Elseworld.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either he'll drown or saved by the Atlantis lol.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Aquaman would find him.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark Curry

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.