Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

What DC character needs new villains?

• 124 results
    deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@moul said:

@deathstroke52: He has The Thirst, Scavanger and Charybdis

Yeah those guys are all fine and dandy but he needs like another villain that can be relate able.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@sealife: Yeah if taking into account for the villainous roles Professor Zoom (who killed Iris West and caused the entire New 52) and Deathstroke should be higher. A lot of what IGN does is based around popularity and Harley is probably one of the most popular villains out there. Even if she is tied up in a team, Joker, or Ivy.

I think when it comes to personality its also because there isn't a lot of really good villains that impress people just by that or have a deep as origin story.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sealife: Yeah if taking into account for the villainous roles Professor Zoom (who killed Iris West and caused the entire New 52) and Deathstroke should be higher. A lot of what IGN does is based around popularity and Harley is probably one of the most popular villains out there. Even if she is tied up in a team, Joker, or Ivy.

I think when it comes to personality its also because there isn't a lot of really good villains that impress people just by that or have a deep as origin story.

I agree with all you said, but it really isn't just IGN. And that the deeds should be why the characters are mostly ranked the way they are. That is why Joker should always be number one despite the fact that I am not a really big fan.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@tyger:

Circe

Cheetah

Giganta (until 90)

Ares

Medusa

New 52 has Gods and Demi-Gods and Myths creatures

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#57  Edited By Outside_85

Teen Titans need some new ones since most the one they had from their golden years (the original Brother Blood, Deathstroke, the HIVE, the Fearsome Five) have generally all moved on, grown up, turned horrible or died, leaving a random gaggle of opponents that most people cant remember and Trigon, who is eternally tied to Raven.

Aside them, I would love to see something interesting done with Wonder Woman's human gallery of foes, since they have for the most part been very poor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow:

Wonder Woman has lot of potencial, Magic and Myths almost nobody has thoose elements. They could do great villains with that and maybe even giving Wonder Woman´s sorcery powers would be cool idea.Green Arrow - (Maybe if they stop giving him Batvilliains that would cool) But Mercanaries and Assassins would work as theme, like his villiains having a signature weapon like him.

Black Canary has some (Lady Shiva, Cheshire, White Canary and Twelve Brothers in Silk,Savant and Creote League of Assassins and Archer Braun) some dont have motive like Deathstroke and other shared with someone else like Merlyn or Cupid. But Figthers, Assassins and maybe some Sound characthers would be the best for her rogue gallery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead:

I know Ultra Humanite was her main villain and acting her Lex Luthor. She probably her standart Supervillians like everyone else on Superfamily. and probably some other villains.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#60  Edited By amazing_webhead
    @vitalius said:

@amazingwebhead:

I know Ultra Humanite was her main villain and acting her Lex Luthor. She probably her standart Supervillians like everyone else on Superfamily. and probably some other villains.

But does she have any villains unique to her? Even Supergirl has Reactron and Lesla-Lar.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Creeper deal with Killer Croc or Firefly more often. We could have gotten more closure on those storyline.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: oh hells no. I like him as a hero. I'm saying he has existing beefs with both villains.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since three people have responded to me, I'm going to add this:

WW has a Rogue's Gallery. She does not have a stand out villain that stands above them.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Superman needs an ex-military metahuman gone insane, out to kill all superheroes for what the wars did to him, with his main power being control over the elements.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: I agree with you. Really Wonder Woman's rogues already has what it takes if the writers and artists just stop forgetting about them which I feel is like a problem for a bunch of the characters at DC. Plus, like you said, Wonder Woman's stories are so rich with myths that a lot of new villains could easily be made the match the wits of the Amazing Amazon.

Agreed with Green Arrow. I would also like to see Bullseye come back. It would be interesting to see what they could with the character nowadays and try to make him different than the Joker. I know its stupid to get the Joker rip off though it would be interesting to see. And thanks for telling me more about Black Canary. Reallys!

@avenging_x_bolt: I know he has. I loved the Ostrander and Mandrake ongoing. From the ones I read its probably one of my favorite series of all time. What I meant by him not really getting an ongoing was that he never really constantly had one. Especially in the Silver Age. The other 6 founding members had an ongoing since the beginning of the Silver Age and they all kept that ongoing except for small breaks with Green Lantern and Aquaman. Martian Manhunter really didn't become the focus of his book until the end of the 90's. He had to wait so long to really branch out of the League. The Justice League has always kinda been his home book in a way.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: I think Circe is the stand out villain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow:

A good idea is giving second book to Wonder Woman, one where she focus on her mythos and maybe myths related themes and the other having her on Man´s World and focus more on magical villiains. Superman and Batman has lot of tittles and some dont have explanation why they were created aside making money.

There is always way of making "Joker" without looking alike The Joker. Not all members of Batfamily are originals and first villiains of Batman.

You are welcome. Not i amn´t from Canarygoddess church but i try to learn more about characters specially characthers that i like. Thanks for following me but i dont do anything special on CV aside reading news, review and posts.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: IMO Black Canary needs new origins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: I think they should take the Sensation Comics and make it into an actual continuity book instead of a digital first. Superman has Action and Batman has Detective we need to get Wonder Woman back Sensation.

And no problem. I've seen you around a lot lately so I thought I would follow anyway.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is character don't need new villains but better ones. And I'm talking a rogue gallery that challenge character physically, mentally, intellectually, psychologically, and so on. It depends on how you develop writing the character.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

Superman needs a competent female villain

He has (as far as I know) Silver Banshee, Livewire and Maxima but I understand you inclusion of the word competent. Any ideas on how to fix them/Upgrade?

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

Superman needs a competent female villain

He has (as far as I know) Silver Banshee, Livewire and Maxima but I understand you inclusion of the word competent. Any ideas on how to fix them/Upgrade?

Well Silver Banshee is now a friend of Kara and Maxima also(?). When the New 52 first started Clark seemed to have a bigger weakness to electricity than before so I thought she would have been a excellent villain for him then, but he seems to have lost that now. I think Livewire would have worked good as one of those crazy villains. With her powers she could do a lot of damage to others, she could threaten him like that I suppose.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife: Perhaps she could be intangible so if Superman tried to hit her physically his fist would phase through her and he just gets shocked. I like the level of crazy she was in TAS, which brings up the point where she did show of a lot of creativity and powers with the whole lightning gimmick. She even has some level of super strength when she tossed that water turbine around. Plus not much Superman can do to her if she jumps in a socket and runs down the wires across city.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Power girl, cyborg, starfire, black canary, dick grayson (needs more of his own villains and not bruce's).

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife In the Action Comics issue #652 Superman fights Both Silver Banshee and Livewire. Another female villain shows up, Puzzler.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

None of them take too long to beat and this is a weakened Superman. If Superman is to ever have any competent female villains they need to be written better. The powers are awesome just they get no respect.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker:

I will have to admit I don't know to much about Livewire, but her being able to phase would be a good power and maybe something like controlling a person by using electric nerve impulses.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife: She would be terrifying if she could do that, to make her not insta win against Superman, I would say he can fight her influence due to his alien physiology (with difficulty). All you really need to do is buff up her volt power and we got ourselves a fearsome foe. :)

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife: She would be terrifying if she could do that, to make her not insta win against Superman, I would say he can fight her influence due to his alien physiology (with difficulty). All you really need to do is buff up her volt power and we got ourselves a fearsome foe. :)

Yeah it would make her a good opponent and make it so she doesn't have to actually be able to hurt him with her powers.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyborg need villian

Wonder Woman and Superman don't need new villain they just need there villian to feel like there a threat

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Titanbreaker

@sealife Well Silver Banshee could be like that too as she is meant to be a supernatural foe and while she does have strength she does not need to be another opponent that tries to punch Superman's face in. Bit of dark magic could easily hurt Superman or at least even the playing field, coupled with her banshee cry and she could do some damage.

I think if Superman had more of a mix so manipulators or beings who could make others fight for them it could help his variety, Yes he has those kind of foes in Toyman and Prankster but no one really knows them well and are never front and center in his gallery.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: I haven't read anything with her in it, but I believe Encantadora wasn't really a magic user right? They could redo her with minimal magic powers and with how her powers were more of a seducer. I actually wouldn't mind Superman having one of those villains.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Titanbreaker

@sealife: I have not read much with her in either really, but her main tactic is to either blast opponents in with her screams or use her strength to hurt them and then go back to the screaming. I think she has (never seen it so not sure if she even still has it) a power which allows her to instantly kill any person she knows the true name of.

A seducer would be interesting, and different from Maxima who is quite blunt about what she wants from Superman, backed with Magic she could pull it off again Superman could resist it but only if he actively knew what he was fighting off.

I like the idea of her Banshee cry as her main weapon but maybe tone it up a bit, as she is competing against Black Canary and Banshee from the X-men all with a similar attack, and she has to fight Superman and Supergirl who are far stronger than the average foe of those 2 heroes.

(Also to answer the question why would she want Superman as either a lover or just a love sick protector, he's freaking Superman.)

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By sealife

@titanbreaker said:

@sealife: I have not read much with her in either really, but her main tactic is to either blast opponents in with her screams or use her strength to hurt them and then go back to the screaming. I think she has (never seen it so not sure if she even still has it) a power which allows her to instantly kill any person she knows the true name of.

A seducer would be interesting, and different from Maxima who is quite blunt about what she wants from Superman, backed with Magic she could pull it off again Superman could resist it but only if he actively knew what he was fighting off.

I like the idea of her Banshee cry as her main weapon but maybe tone it up a bit, as she is competing against Black Canary and Banshee from the X-men all with a similar attack, and she has to fight Superman and Supergirl who are far stronger than the average foe of those 2 heroes.

(Also to answer the question why would she want Superman as either a lover or just a love sick protector, he's freaking Superman.)

I just think Silver Banshee should be left as she is know and they could do all of that for Encantadora.

And yeah he is Superman an extremely powerful and handsome man, that should be all the motivation plus him having the personality he does it would be some fun meetings.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife: Okay, just looked up Encantadora, not been in much has she?

I guess in the case of most of these people its lack of appearances coupled with writers not making them more than a single issue threat.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash

Shazam

Martian Manhunter

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: And that's why I would like them to do something like that to her, as most people wouldn't even know there was a difference or that she isn't a new character. If they did it with Silver Banshee more people would complain about the huge difference.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Green Arrow could always use more (which is possibly one of the only good things coming out of his recent run)

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife Sadly I think she will become/ already is forgotten about as only 15 issues to her name does not give her much credit. A shame, I have not read either of the current New 52 Superman books but has either Livewire or Silver banshee shown up in them? If so it could be a sign writers are trying to boost them and other lesser known Superman foes.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife Sadly I think she will become/ already is forgotten about as only 15 issues to her name does not give her much credit. A shame, I have not read either of the current New 52 Superman books but has either Livewire or Silver banshee shown up in them? If so it could be a sign writers are trying to boost them and other lesser known Superman foes.

She would have to have a good writer yes so she wouldn't be forgotten.

Silver Banshee is Supergirl's best friend and Livewire I think only appeared in a cameo in the first panel of a recent Justice League issue, quickly defeated.

sillyreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By sillyreverend

dc needs to re-establish green lantern's rogues. star sapphire stopped being a villain ages ago. sinestro will probably go the anti hero route. black hand is still there and a bit crazy.

any earth based rogues that can give green lantern a challenge would be a cool addition. maybe an updated evil star or maybe someone who is as fearless as hal.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The problem with WW rogues is, first off, Azzarello did not use any of them in his acclaimed run, which will be many people's first real encounter with the character.

Secondly, usually only the WW writers themselves write them well, i.e. Perez, Jimenez, Rucka, and Simone. This can be shown for example when Cheetah showed up in Secret Six and Simone had her make them look like chumps.

Otherwise, the troop of chimpanzees that DC masquerades as WW's editors and feed treats on occassion allow crap like Batman or Catwoman punching/choking/breaking Cheetah's arm, or that recent Green Arrow themed toilet paper...........err, issue of Green Arrow.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

@black_claw said:

@sealife: they can always just make the ones he already has better like Faora or Livewire. They can also bring back a Volcana while they're at it.

Yeah, of course they can. It's just that Faora is so close to Zod, and making her better while not really hard as they just can show her ruthlessness and combat skills as superior to Zod. However awesome or badass that makes her she will still make her a sidekick. That's similar to the problem I have with Harley being listed on best female list as she hasn't exactly done much on her own

For Livewire I actually thought she would be a good villain for him in the early issues of his books as they seemed to imply he was harmed by electricity, but that seem to have gone away now, So what would she really do to him? They could make her have magical lightning I guess? I also always thought electricity should be a problem for him. I am not the greatest at physics so please tell me if I am totally wrong on this, but with Superman having denser skin and physicality shouldn't electricity do more damage because of more resistance?

And it is the same problem with Volcana she doesn't really have anything to hurt him with does she? I don't know much about her however.

Maybe a sound based villain. He's still weak against sonic attacks right?

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria:

He should be. Was the last time I checked. I like the idea.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@sealife: I've never read any comics with her before but looking into his rouges gallery I did find a character called Silver Banshee that fits the bill. She's magic to so that helps. Although like it was said before they could just change Livewire's powers to be magic based.

::EDIT:: Looks like you guys already brought up Silver Banshee

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gjgp27: Her villains need better showings in other comics, but I think the biggest thing is that they need to give them a more prominent role in her own comic. Throughout pretty much all of post crisis only had like five villians who showed up in regular rotation while the rest of her central rouges fell into obsurity so that writer could focus on their own pet creations. What we really need is for a good writer to come in and show how awesome her villains can be. They have so much unrealized potential. Not counting the Olympians I can think of about twenty five villains I'd like to see in at lest a semi regular rotation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.