Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Updates on the Flash Movie and Green Lantern 2

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      Do you figure they ought to make his costume entirely CG?
     Do you figure they ought to make his costume entirely CG?

Something that got lost in all the post-Big Big Live Show shuffle last week (which is understandable, given how crazy that event-to-end-all-events was) was a little tidbit from comic & screen writer Marc Guggenheim about the second GREEN LANTERN movie and FLASH movie. According to Joblo (by way of Newsarama) Guggenheim and his co-writers, the Greg Berlanti/Michael Green duo, have just turned in their treatment for FLASH and, without skipping a step, they’re already talking about what to do for GREEN LANTERN 2. This is fulfilling the scoop we got back in July when the trio was announced for this gig. Guggenheim stressed, however, that the writing of the FLASH screenplay is still a ways off, presumably depending on the WB’s approval.

So what exactly does this all mean?

I know we’ve got some savy savants in the Comic Vine community, but I ought to explain what a treatment is to those you who might find this talk a little “insider baseball.” Basically, a treatment is a very involved outline for a movie that usually precedes the writing of an actual screenplay. They can run as short as only a few pages or be as long as entire script. James Cameron, for instance, is notable for writing screenplay-long “scriptments” that read almost like novellas. You can find his scripments for ALIENS and his unrealized-SPIDER-MAN movie here and here. == TEASER ==

In this case, the WB could end up hiring another writer or group of writers to make a script based off this treatment, which will you give you an idea as to why these kind of movies usually have many screenwrtiers named in the credits.

Is it too early to be talking about a second GREEN LANTERN movie when the first hasn’t even come out yet? These things are really easy to do sequels to, and I still say that it’d make a lot of sense to fit Johns’ new cosmology into this trilogy with movie #2 concerning the SINESTRO CORPS WAR and movie #3 dealing with BLACKEST NIGHT. Also, a question for you maniacs... 

Christopher Nolan thinks DC characters work best in their own self-contained spheres, but would you like to see GL and Flash exist in the same movie continuity in a manner similar to what Marvel’s been doing?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon here & here .   

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By johnny_spam

I don't think DC needs to make a crossover movie like Marvel plans to just give them some good movies for the moment no need for them to be connected yet or at all. There is no guarantee DC would use the Avengers method or even if that method will work.

If Green Lantern is not a hit I don't think other DC heroes will get movies. 

disco_dan242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By disco_dan242

I agree that GL 2 and 3 should follow Geoff John's epics.  If they're done well, they could end up as the greatest comic book blockbusters of all time.  
    I think I agree with Nolan that DC characters work best in their own spheres.  But, I guess we'll just have to see how the Avengers movie will turn out.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jordanstine

I can't wait to see, with both excitement and FEAR, what kind of costume design they'll come up with for the Flash... 

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buttersdaman000

i really dont think the sinestro corps war and blackest night would work well in a movie

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ckal

In the past couple years and the following next few years, DC is getting blown out of the water by Marvel in regards to bringing more than a couple of their characters to the big screen. I know they are going the slow and steady approach, but come on already.

Btw I just read the final fight in Cameron's Spider-Man treatment...sounded pretty intense.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheMess1428

Yes they should be in the same movie universe and no there shouldn't be Blackest Night. You can't have Blackest Night without all the other DC characters and it can't come before Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

Hmmm... I don't know...
    I definitely want to see a Flash movie, but would GL 2 and 3 work involving those big story arcs?

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 614azrael
    @buttersdaman000:
    it could work but ther jumping in way to soon. It Never Works. X-men 3 failed as they jumped into Dark Phoenix if they did Phoenix or an alternate rout it might of worked but by takeing the Epic saga into 1 movie it went down hill. Spiderman 3 failed as they tried throwing in hob goblin sandman and venom(stick with just venom or the other 2 proly would of gone beter). Blade tried the Dracula final battle thing good as it was movie struggled. Matrix 3 aimed for the epic super battle an what did we get garbage it was a superman/dbz battle btween a computer hacker an guy in suit. Resident Evil well 3&4 maybe we should skip ovr that but i think the patern is starting to show. By planing sinestro an blackest night there aiming for basicly the original star wars trilogy in 1 film an then the lord of the rings trilogy in the next
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey

I can see a Sinestro Corp War working on film,  I don't see it as the seguel, but as the third act.  Sure it won't be like the comic, but having a war between Green Lanterns and Sinestro Corps would be a climax itself. 
    mice elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mice elf

I love the idea of a Flash film, but I can't see it being a big commercial success along the lines of the Batman or Spiderman films. For all of Flash's greatness, the character isn't innately cool.

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By the_fallen11

Blake Lively said she was gonna be star sapphire in the second movie. so what I am assuming is that.
    first movie is gonna be; Hector/Parallax
    second movie is gonna be ; Star Sapphire/ possible second villain (Sinestro goes bad at the end of the second film)
    third movie; Sinestro Corps War

Elvfinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Elvfinal

Hope the Flash one is awesome!!
    Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#13  Edited By carnivalofsins00

i think Ryan Reynolds would be perfect for the Flash.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Magian

I hope that the Flash film will be good. As for the Green Lantern, I think that it is to early to talk about sequels. Let's see if the movie will become a success first. Even if they make those sequels, I'm not sure they should do the Sinestro Corps War and the Blackest Night, at least not so soon. Well maybe Sinestro Corps War.

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crimson Eagle

I really want to see a Sinestro corps war and a blackest night to the GL trilogy. 
    A flash movie may sound cool, but the suit may look a liitle goofy, unless they change it like they did with the Capt. America movie. 

I do not see a GL and Flash crossover happen. But with a possible third Green lantern installment, we may see cameos of the other heroes.
    RoosterCogburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RoosterCogburn

Blackest Night won't work.
    All these random dead heroes popping up.
    Everyones not going to know whats going on.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel
    @RoosterCogburn:  I agree. It is difficult to see how they could do Blackest Night without the larger DCU as a backdrop. 

I think Nolan is wrong on this issue. I really want to see a sense of continuity between the different films and would love to see Flash, Green Lantern and other DC heroes within the same film. I loved those little nods to other characters in Smallville as well as their cameos.
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Lvenger

Sinestro Corps = Yes! Would work without the rest of the DCU
    Blackest Night = NO! Needs the DCU and no one knows what's going on.

Here's how I imagine the Green Lantern trilogy

Green Lantern: Gets  ring, trains and faces Hector Hammond and Parallax (good choice)  and at end Sinestro gets yellow ring

Green Lantern 2: Carol Ferris discovers Star Stapphire gem, turns evil and battles Hal. Later Zamarons show up with Star Sapphire rings with the credits scene showing Sinestro amassing his corps.

Green Lantern 3: SINESTRO CORPS WAR!

MysteryMan38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MysteryMan38

If they do make a Flash film, it would have to be about Barry, like they are doing with Hal's film. And maybe it would include a cameo from Wally, but the film could be like the Incredible Hulk, it takes place after he has received his powers and is established as Central City's champion, the same thing going for the Rouges.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chibi-Iroh
    @buttersdaman000:  Me either because then they have to explain a crap load of characters for both.
    true.djnw@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By true.djnw@
    @johnny spam:
    i believe that should do whatever they want... dc and marvel have been copying of of each other for years, so why stop now.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Shadowboy: @Shadowboy said:
    " @johnny spam: i believe that should do whatever they want... dc and marvel have been copying of of each other for years, so why stop now. "
    But we still don't know if the Avengers formula will work out we have mostly seen it in Iron Man 2 and that movie was less liked and the director was supposedly unhappy with including the Avengers plot points and Gweneth Paltrow did not like not being advertised less then Scarlet Johansen. 

With Superman and Batman unavailable and only Green Lantern being made I doubt there will be a Justice League movie.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Decept-O
    @carnivalofsins00 said:
    "i think Ryan Reynolds would be perfect for the Flash. "

Yeah, a lot of Viners have been saying it, myself included and I think it is too bad he wasn't cast for that role instead.  However I am just glad that a Green Lantern movie and a Flash movie are in production.   

This is potentially good news and I do hope the movies are done well.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Theodore

cant wait for a Flash film

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By elayem98
    @carnivalofsins00 said:
    " i think Ryan Reynolds would be perfect for the Flash. "
    so ryan would be deadpool, green lantern, and flash? and gl and flash r by the same company so i dont think he will be flash.
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By greenenvy

No I would like see them in there own movies no guest appearances or tie ins because it is now starting to see too fan boyish or also even cheesy to have team ups or easter eggs. It is more mature just to have one hero on its own tale. 

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @MysteryMan38 said:
    "If they do make a Flash film, it would have to be about Barry, like they are doing with Hal's film. And maybe it would include a cameo from Wally, but the film could be like the Incredible Hulk, it takes place after he has received his powers and is established as Central City's champion, the same thing going for the Rouges. "

extcly wich means they would have to get someone with the whole sweet sorta naive farmboy vibe
    DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkSyde79

Is there still gonna be the Super Max (aka Green Arrow) movie in the works???

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#29  Edited By CrimsonTempest

It's too soon to push Blackest Night onto theaters. And Nolan's theory could go either way, but I really want some continuity to be emphasized in the DCU movies.

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mbembet

ryan reynold sucks!

buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By buns134

NPH FLASH SUIT-UP
    KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#32  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

l love Christopher Nolan but l have to disagree when he said superheroes characters should be in self-contained spheres . l would love all them to be in same universe than indivdual universes
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By DanialCarroll

I think Batman is really the only DC character that doesn't fit well in a group situation. Having no super-powers, if there was an all-out battle, he'd be the first to get injured. I know in the comics and cartoons he always fights along side the others, but with films added "realism", I don't think he could hold his own in a group with say Superman and Green Lantern.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Zoom

I still don't understand why one of the worst Flash writers of all time was asked to write for the movie.  I do not understand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 123422

I can see a Sinestro Corps War, but Blackest Night won't do without the other DC characters
    And Flash+GL meeting? yes please

KurtWagner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By KurtWagner

IT'S BRUCE WILLIS!! O_O Alex Ross never stops to surprise me :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 123422
    @KurtWagner: I haven't thought of that one, nice job lol
    reflected

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By reflected

considering flash and green lantern team up quite a bit it makes sense for at least a flash cameo if not a full blown team up...def agree with most for the blackest night story, it would be nearly impossible to do correctly but i think the only way to keep the movie relevant with a modern culture and to appease non-fans they need to stick to the johns perspective of gl

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Eyz

I kinda would prefer myself those DC heroes running together in the same fictional world on screen too. No need for an Avenger-esque planning...but just..the same self contained universe!
    If we can see gamma monsters, viking gods and rich playboys armed to the teeth next to each other in "one franchise", I can't see why we couldn't have a dude dressed as a bad, a red-cape wielding alien, a green space cop and a red-speedsuit speedster in the same reality as well!

Despite what all Bat-fanboys might say!
    (it's all fiction! Bats no more real than Supes or Hal Jordan!)

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Eyz: @Eyz said:
    " I kinda would prefer myself those DC heroes running together in the same fictional world on screen too. No need for an Avenger-esque planning...but just..the same self contained universe! If we can see gamma monsters, viking gods and rich playboys armed to the teeth next to each other in "one franchise", I can't see why we couldn't have a dude dressed as a bad, a red-cape wielding alien, a green space cop and a red-speedsuit speedster in the same reality as well!  Despite what all Bat-fanboys might say! (it's all fiction! Bats no more real than Supes or Hal Jordan!) "
    It's not fans many want to see a Justice League movie Christopher Nolan himself has said that he doesn't think that the movies should crossover and that it takes away from them which why Batman is the only hero in his movies and Superman will be alone as well.
    schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#41  Edited By schmidty207

DC needs to follow a few simple steps to have a healthy Movie Universe...
    1) Tell a great story. (see Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Superman The Movie)
    2) Have great actors in the roles. (see above) 
    3) Get great directors. (see above)
    4) Verisimilitude. (see above)
    5) Forget whatever Marvel is going and focus on what you're doing. (see above) 

The End

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iloverobots
    @buns134 said:
    " NPH FLASH SUIT-UP "
    I hope with all my heart that NPH plays Barry. 

Also: JLA movie. (if Nolan agrees to let his Batman "go out there", in the wild DC Movie-U)
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Eyz
    @johnny spam:  I know about the Nolan-Batman, but the rest of the characters could share and "live in the same universe".
    Plus you know, once Nolan "ends" his trilogy or whatever he said, Warner will reboot Batman again (specially if he meant killing off or just ending Bats career).
    The Nolan Batman movies are great and fun, but they're not the ultimate perfect version of Batman ever made. (I'd take a Tim Sale Batman story over his anyday!)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.