Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

UPDATE: Jim Lee Redesigns Every Major DC Character in Mass Reboot

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By doordoor123
    @ChadwickDavis said:
    While I think the costumes look great. The word REBOOT concerns me greatly especially considering that there have been 3 reboots in the past two years.  
    There has? Am I missing something?
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#202  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @doordoor123 said:
    Not true.
    How so? just off the top of my head I can remember two; electric superman and the black suit, neither lasted and they've also changed the shield. Giving him long hair to be hip also failed miserably.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#203  Edited By JonesDeini

Great post that sums my feelings on this up 

You know, as someone who grew up reading DC comics, I find this sad. One thing I really enjoyed about DC, and that distinguished it from Marvel, was its legacy characters. I found it intriguing that there were several generations of characters, Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, then Wally West or Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, then Kyle Rayner. I thought it was really neat, and dded a sense of history to the DC Universe. To me, Marvel had continuity to keep track of, DC had history.

And they seem to be abandoning that. Granted, I haven't regularly read a DC comics since a few months before Hal Jordan returned (I viewed his return as DC regressing). And I can see by this announcement that I haven't missed much. Quite frankly, while Johns might claim to love the Silver Age, I think he's largely missed what made it so special. He simply wants to recreate the comics he grew up with. Tell the same stories he read, but with a little more dismemberment and rape thrown in for good measure, you know, so it's edgy! But that's not what the Silver Age was about. The Silver Age was about newness. New concepts, new characters. John Broome crated Hal Jordan, rather than bring back Alan Scott. Mort Weisinger didn't just bring back Lex Luthor and the Ultra Humanite to fight Superman, he created Brainiac and Metallo, and brought the Legion of Super-Heroes into the mix. 

I've often said this, and I'll keep saying it. The only modern writer to understand the Silver Age was Grant Morrison. He's the only writer that understood the potent brew of wonder, imagination, and novelty that made the Silver Age so magical. I'm continually shocked that Johns was put in charge of everything and Grant Morrison only has his little Batman ghetto

bluetorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#204  Edited By bluetorch

Looks like DC is about to pull a "Brand New Day" for their entire universe.  I have mixed feelings about this.  DC's writers screwed up from the very beginning by having so many different versions of their characters.  Now they are trying to be more like Marvel by making them younger, hipper.  I understand why they need to do this, but it saddens me that this could result in the loss of so much great back story that's been established over the last 25+ years.  Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen anyway.  Just sucks after all of these stupid "events" that took place over the last decade.  "Final" Crisis was a lie.  It's all about the money.  

Guess Clark Kent and Lois Lane just got a divorce.  I wonder if "Superman: Earth One" will be the new origin story for Superman?  Hmmmm...

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#205  Edited By mark5
    @Deranged Midget said:
    Is it just me or does it look like Superman lost the red underwear?
    He did...He is really just a blue boy scout now. literally...
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By danhimself
    @doordoor123 said:
    @danhimself said:

wait a minute!!  isn't there supposed to be a Red Lantern series launching soon?  why launch a brand new series only to have it canceled with the reboot?  something doesn't feel right

Its because its not a complete reboot. Theres also a JLI series coming soon.
    then this makes absolutely no sense what so ever....how can they reboot some things and not all things?
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By batmanary

I'm calling it right here: It's not a ATRUE reboot, but just a change in direction for a bit: continuation of the main universe stories, with different costumes: eg Publicity stunt

gridlock464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#208  Edited By gridlock464

No Cassie or Connor makes wonder what’s in store Dick and Tim. If there is no Cassie does this mean Barbra is going to have legs back and be batgirl?

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#209  Edited By Sobe Cin

I like the redesign for Superman, dropping the red briefs is good. But he looks to young- almost like Connor and not Clark.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Why does flash never get a real costume change??? GL is just the movie one, Wonder Woman is basically is better version of her current one minus the jacket and straps and really hope she has boots O_O, Lose superman's collar and I'm good with it, Aquaman looks pretty much the same and Cyborg looks better but a bit bulky 

Batman almost always looks cool, Just hope continuity remains almost the same just revamp what wasn't working and tweak some villains but don't start fresh 
    Tired of the next generation of heroes constant;y getting screwed over so we can relive the same stories with the exact same characters  

How lazy are new readers that we need a reboot? I only started last year plus periodical comics over the years(no where to buy them) and I just jumped into random story arcs and was able to go along with it and figured things out as I went(fun to do from time to time keeps you away from spoilers) 

Also reboot = LAZY writing, I'm sorry, Just wish they'd leave batman alone and leave morrison in charge. Batman has finally made a progression and now it's like hitting the reset/undo button,  Superman was in a rut so do what you wish with him just don't turn him into smallvile superman 

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Sobe Cin said:
    I like the redesign for Superman, dropping the red briefs is good. But he looks to young- almost like Connor and not Clark.
    All of them are younger 

And the whole this is not real thing people are saying....making all the issues go back to #1 doesn't seem like temporary.
    Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#213  Edited By Darkmount1

THAT FREAKING DOES IT!!!!! FAN-COUP!!!! I AM CALLING FOR A MAJOR FAN-COUP!!!!!!
    allhailme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By allhailme

Question,does this mean we can knock out gl with a jar of mustard again. Or if manhunter comes back does he have a weakness to fire.

Zarathustra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Zarathustra
    @DoctorTrips said:
    .......  .......  As expected as it was, that's crap. Nothing against Jim Lee and Geoff Johns but do we really need modernizations? The modern age sucks. Sucks hard. I don't want to read about a Superman who is hip and young and has stupid emo bitch problems with his powers. I want to read about a Superman who carries great weight and resonates as an established authority for DC's superheroes. I want a Superman who showed up in 1938. Who fought in World War II and has at least aged so damn slow that he can pass of as at least 30.  I'm half expecting this reboot to be like Ultimate Marvel, nothing against that either but a lot of the characters are so unlikeable (such as the Ultimates). I don't want a gritty realistic take on these characters or a realistic cynical take on them. I don't want the Justice League to be a task force formed by the government. Modernizing an entire universe removes the element of fun and excitment that comics used to have. I'm not even talking about Golden and Silver age stuff, I just mean since 2000 comics have just gone haywire in terms of giving bullshit explanations for superpowers, i.e. the metagene. It's not enough to just be struck by lightning and have superspeed; oh no we can't accept that because it's just not realistic. Boo hoo, it's not about trying to apply this to real life science it's about enjoyment. It is distracting us comic fans from the sad truth that we're going to die one day; sad and alone, wondering where it all went wrong.  A modernization is just worthless, because these characters will still be around in a hundred damn years - we'll go through ten more modernizations to try and make these characters 'accesible' to new readers; readers who shouldn't want to see their heroes deal with real life issues; nothing against that either it's cool to...try, but whatever real life issues they try to deal with they will just piss a lot of people off, like Superman did recently when he got involved into a real world issue, that he shouldn't have poked his damn nose into.  It's just stupid, 10 years from now they'll repeat this. They shouldn't ignore their 75 years of history, they should include it. They should build up from it not break it all apart and try to knot it all together with turn of the century tape. Their continuity doesn't have to be this iron wall that new readers can't penetrate.  Redesigning their costumes is fine, even though they'll just go for the traditional costumes in a few years. But modernizing it; just a shitty fucking idea.
    On the whole I agree with this. As a new reader, I can say with some certainty that I don't want to read about some angst-y, twenty-something, twitter following young person stumbling into superpowers and promptly misusing them to work through their new-found growing pains until they are actually worthy of the title Superhero.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By doordoor123
    @The_Tree said:
    @danhimself said:
    @doordoor123 said:
    @danhimself said:

wait a minute!!  isn't there supposed to be a Red Lantern series launching soon?  why launch a brand new series only to have it canceled with the reboot?  something doesn't feel right

Its because its not a complete reboot. Theres also a JLI series coming soon.
    then this makes absolutely no sense what so ever....how can they reboot some things and not all things?
    Lol, I can't see a character like Booster Gold being older than Superman. :P
    Its because its not a "reboot" per say. Its more like the Heroic Age and theyre changing little things about characters/ some origins. Its just rebooting numbers. Comicvine was wrong. They thought it was going to be a complete reboot. And until im proven wrong, i believe this is whats happening.
    doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#217  Edited By doomsilver

if this happens then maybe they can come up with some newer powers for the justice league
    ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By ChadwickDavis
    @doordoor123:  
    Infinite Crisis 
    The return of the multiverse, Jason Todd,   

Final Crisis:  
    Batman, dies/ returns, Death/relocation of the New gods 

New Krypton: 

Well technically those were more on the lines of major retcons than reboots now that I think about it, but I think you get where Im coming from.  
    Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Legacy_
    No Caption Provided
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Kallarkz
    @allhailme said:
    Question,does this mean we can knock out gl with a jar of mustard again. Or if manhunter comes back does he have a weakness to fire.
    Unsure if M.M will even be around. 

And since the events of Blackest Night and Sinestro Corps War has been confirmed to stay apart of continuity and seeing how Parallax was just removed from the battery in this War Of Green Lanterns arc...I think it would be rather hard at explaining how the impurity has been once again restored.
    CraftyArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By CraftyArrow

Ok now i am going to say it , no Lois. He is going to be with who? this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By doomsilver

are they keeping young ones like superboy and the new robin?
    Havenless80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Havenless80

So we had the golden age, silver age, and modern age of comics and characters.  Is this the start of the digital age of comics?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @JonesDeini said:
    Great post that sums my feelings on this up   You know, as someone who grew up reading DC comics, I find this sad. One thing I really enjoyed about DC, and that distinguished it from Marvel, was its legacy characters. I found it intriguing that there were several generations of characters, Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, then Wally West or Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, then Kyle Rayner. I thought it was really neat, and dded a sense of history to the DC Universe. To me, Marvel had continuity to keep track of, DC had history.And they seem to be abandoning that.
    I hadn't really thought about it like that but you make an excellent point, that legacy really is part of what has made DC great for so long.

For a while now I've been saying that these days as a society we don't make anything anymore that can stand the test of time, everything is disposable and mimics things of the past; books, movies, music and even famous people. You look back 40+ years and you see creations like Superman, Batman or Captain America those are icons that will be around for hundreds of years in one form or another, what comic book character created in the past 10-15 years will be around anywhere near as long? none. With these reboots it is just more laziness, instead of creating new things that can bring in a larger newer audience they resort to gimmicks and rebooting and retooling everything that came before, it has no originality or longevity.
    Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Legacy_
    @CraftyArrow said:
    Ok now i am going to say it , no Lois. He is going to be with who? this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Superman + Wonder Woman = LOVE <3 

Which is entirely wack as hell -____-
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By danhimself

Included in the 52 series will be:

* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @batmanary said:
    I'm calling it right here: It's not a ATRUE reboot, but just a change in direction for a bit: continuation of the main universe stories, with different costumes: eg Publicity stunt
    I'm ok with this if that's the case, Since they needed a costume update and I'm sure if it is a reboot to a bigger degree and no one likes it they will tie it to the rainbow lantern corp thing and have a huge event for next year to reverse everything back O_O 
    Chak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Chak

I don't know how I feel about this. DC books have always taken continuity very seriously and they have a massive time line of events and characters that stretch back forever. I really hope they take this chance to reintroduce Wildstorm characters into the main universe.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By doordoor123
    @ChadwickDavis said:
    @doordoor123:  Infinite Crisis The return of the multiverse, Jason Todd,   Final Crisis:  Batman, dies/ returns, Death/relocation of the New gods  New Krypton:  Well technically those were more on the lines of major retcons than reboots now that I think about it, but I think you get where Im coming from.  
    What are you responding to again? sorry ive written a lot on this thread.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By niamahai

ew. they should've stuck with gloveless and short haired Aquaman. Now he just look like some K-Pop star. 

and this IMA WEARIN PANTS WW looks good. Finally.

allhailme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By allhailme
    @Kallarkz said:
    @allhailme said:
    Unsure if M.M will even be around. 

And since the events of Blackest Night and Sinestro Corps War has been confirmed to stay apart of continuity and seeing how Parallax was just removed from the battery in this War Of Green Lanterns arc...I think it would be rather hard at explaining how the impurity has been once again restored.
    Hope he will be. 

I was gaining the impression this involved timetravel,i'm not up to point on flashpoint,so im not sure,all i know is that thomas wayne is batman in it(hope the reboot will at least have bruce if they undo the current batman comics)
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By -Eclipse-

They need to be REALLY damn careful what they choose to reboot... Were DC not paying attention to One More Day? Spidey's marriage got wiped out and people went CRAZY about it. If they make any serious changes, their fans will rage. 

I only read two DC books, but I really like them. A reboot could totally screw up Red Robin and Teen Titans. Yeah, I'll probably pick up the new Superman to see what it's like, but if they mess up Tim or the Titans I'm just going to be gutted. In fact if they take Marcus To off Red Robin then I'll be gutted. Heck, this reboot could erase some characters from continuity, because they're "too complicated" for new readers to understand.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Legacy_

Ensue global panic......

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#235  Edited By webling

@The_Tree I started a year ago too and have managed to figure stuff out and do fine. Still the first thing I bought was Brightest Day #0, because I knew that was a sequel to Blackest Night from the internet. Then I found out Batman Beyond was getting a miniseries so perfect timing there. The reason I'm reading comics is because of the DCAU which was a major part of my childhood. So instead of revamping everything like crazy, why don't they just put more emphasis into an animated universe. Yes they have shows on now and new ones incoming, but they're not in a universe. One of the great things of the DCAU was Bruce Timm drew it all, the Joker was the Joker on Static Shock, JLU, Batman Beyond, whatever. Also, DC leave Morrison alone.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#236  Edited By Deranged Midget

Errr.. Im not so sure about this whole reboot thing. Why are they so desperate to draw in newer younger audiences? If it didn't work before, it's not going to make that much more of a difference this time around. Sure, you're gonna gain a few new readers but it's not going to become a drastic amount. 

And I HATE how Superman looks the youngest here.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By longbowhunter

I wanna be optimistic, but I'm probably gonna use this as a jumping off point for alot of the DC books I read.
    SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#238  Edited By SilverZeo

And then everything will will be rebooted in the reboot will soon bee rebooted as well... is this even news worthy anymore?

No Caption Provided
    CraftyArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By CraftyArrow
    @Deranged Midget
    He looks 18
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By -Eclipse-

@danhimself said:

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

Great. No Fabian on Red Robin probably means no Red Robin at all. Well, screw you, DC.

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#242  Edited By webling
    @-Eclipse- said:

@danhimself said:

Great. No Fabian on Red Robin probably means no Red Robin at all. Well, screw you, DC.

Nooooooooooooooo!
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I've never been a fan of Superman and Wonder Woman being together, just doesn't seem like a good fit too me, being with a regular human seems to keep him grounded and more human-like, matching him up with WW just elevates him above humanity.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#245  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Sucks

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#246  Edited By damswedon
    sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#247  Edited By sa5m

This is very big! I wonder how much they will change. I will like to see Wonder Woman and Superman together =)

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By SpidermanWins

I don't know what to say. I can't say I'm surprised. Angry? I guess but more just plain frustrated. I guess we will just have to see what comes of this.

PuckPuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By PuckPuck

Eh, I'm not a huge fan for the majority of DC lines, so it means less (read next to nothing) for me. I'll give a few #1s a try and see. I'm curious as to if this will be the Wildstorm remnants stepping into the main DC lines opportunity - though serious doubts as to that. But hey, DC actually supporting a Jim Lee reboot, what can go wrong ... 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By doordoor123
    @sa5m said:
    This is very big! I wonder how much they will change. I will like to see Wonder Woman and Superman together =)
    Why? Theres already Wonder Girl and Super Boy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.