Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

UPDATE: Jim Lee Redesigns Every Major DC Character in Mass Reboot

Mas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Mas

So wait is this just changing their costumes or everything? And this better not suck.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By jrock85
    @The Dark Huntress
    I love Jim Lee too, but I'm a little concerned about this; especially when it comes to the Bat Family.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By doordoor123
    @adoggez1 said:
    is this going to change their origins??? 
    I dont think so. They just want them younger and relatable to a new generation of comic readers. They need new readers because comic sales are going down and too many readers are really old. Theyre making the characters more current. I think the origins will be the same and I think the continuity will be played with a little but itll still fit in (kind of like crisis did)
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By johnny_spam
    @CrimsonTempest: @CrimsonTempest said:
    I have an intense dislike for this, as I stated previously. Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman, Superman, renumbered back to #1... This is a spit in the face of their 76 year history of comics. Bob Kane would hang his head in shame.
    Maybe for legal reasons Action Comics had to be renumbered. Bob Kane was also a laid back dude I do not think he would care not sure how Bill Finger (Batman co creator) would care.
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By batman_is_god
    @The Dark Huntress
    That's not my worry. My worry is the fact that he clearly hates the character.
    EnigmaMystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By EnigmaMystery

This has me greatly worried. I don't know if I should take this as a good thing or not... While I like Geoff Johns' writing, I don't know about all of this... A complete DCU Reboot?  ... I don't know...

I know they're trying to relate to a wider audience but... it still feels like they're alienating the readers that have been around a long time like me and all the people that come in to the comic shop I work at... 

Time will tell, I suppose...

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By batmarcus

My best hope is that they do not screw up Tim Drake

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59  Edited By MrUnknown

Hmm I feel uneasy about it but at least I can finally read some Justice League

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Primmaster64
    @batman_is_god said:
    @The Dark Huntress: That's not my worry. My worry is the fact that he clearly hates the character.
    Geoff hates Batman?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By Gambit1024

The only way this could get any better is that DC announced that: 

Mark Waid and Lienel Francis Yu are the new creative team for Superman 
    Loeb and Lee will take over Batman 
    Geoff Jones will continue to write GL and Kyle Rayner gets his own solo 
    Wonder Woman will actually be interesting 
    Flash will continue to be incredibly awesome 

The reboot is just enough to get me freaking syked!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62  Edited By damswedon

Since I don't really care about the "Icons" of DC I'm worried. The second and third tier of DC are going to get screwed over.
    Oh well I'll finish the few DC comics that I care about and go back to not caring about recent releases.

CasimirAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By CasimirAngel

Scared and optimistic. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#64  Edited By JonesDeini

My two DC books will now be Xombi/T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, unless they're cancelled. Well, Geoff just saved me about 20 or so bucks a month. ..

adribones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By adribones

Jim Lee redesigns every DC character. yes, because people loooved his Wonder Woman design. :rolleyes:
    jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jukeboxheroabc

Hmm... I wonder how Morrison is going to handle this

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Gambit1024: Waid can write for Supes...Just make Lee Superman's artist.
    Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Skaddix

Well Aquaman and Hal look good in those v necks. 
    Diana looks better. I would prefer gold bracelets. And no arm band.  
    Superman also looks better no undies but the v neck is a bit iffy.
    52 new books like the multiverse. 
    Hopefully they really deliver on the diversity.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Primmaster64 said:
    You got a deal, sir. I love his new costume
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#70  Edited By JonesDeini
    @damswedon: I'll be doing likewise. I'm put off buy this but such is life. All the best books are read are produced by Vertigo/Image anyways. So once the good DC titles I read reboot I'll be saving a good amount of cash. Hopefully Xombi/T.H.U.N.D.E.R. agents will move to Vertigo so their stories can continue interrupted. With all the money I'll be saving buy not reading DC's books I can finally catch up on Hell Blazer. 
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I hate this.

DoctorTrips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72  Edited By DoctorTrips

As expected as it was, that's crap. Nothing against Jim Lee and Geoff Johns but do we really need modernizations? The modern age sucks. Sucks hard. I don't want to read about a Superman who is hip and young and has stupid emo bitch problems with his powers. I want to read about a Superman who carries great weight and resonates as an established authority for DC's superheroes. I want a Superman who showed up in 1938. Who fought in World War II and has at least aged so damn slow that he can pass of as at least 30.

I'm half expecting this reboot to be like Ultimate Marvel, nothing against that either but a lot of the characters are so unlikeable (such as the Ultimates). I don't want a gritty realistic take on these characters or a realistic cynical take on them. I don't want the Justice League to be a task force formed by the government. Modernizing an entire universe removes the element of fun and excitment that comics used to have. I'm not even talking about Golden and Silver age stuff, I just mean since 2000 comics have just gone haywire in terms of giving bullshit explanations for superpowers, i.e. the metagene. It's not enough to just be struck by lightning and have superspeed; oh no we can't accept that because it's just not realistic. Boo hoo, it's not about trying to apply this to real life science it's about enjoyment. It is distracting us comic fans from the sad truth that we're going to die one day; sad and alone, wondering where it all went wrong.

A modernization is just worthless, because these characters will still be around in a hundred damn years - we'll go through ten more modernizations to try and make these characters 'accesible' to new readers; readers who shouldn't want to see their heroes deal with real life issues; nothing against that either it's cool to...try, but whatever real life issues they try to deal with they will just piss a lot of people off, like Superman did recently when he got involved into a real world issue, that he shouldn't have poked his damn nose into.

It's just stupid, 10 years from now they'll repeat this. They shouldn't ignore their 75 years of history, they should include it. They should build up from it not break it all apart and try to knot it all together with turn of the century tape. Their continuity doesn't have to be this iron wall that new readers can't penetrate.

Redesigning their costumes is fine, even though they'll just go for the traditional costumes in a few years. But modernizing it; just a shitty fucking idea.

BlackPookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BlackPookie

I love Batman 
    Are they gonna destroy it?
    spankymac314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#74  Edited By spankymac314

Welp, I'm done with DC. I only just started following some of their books, then they spring a reboot on me. I'll read Secret Six till it gets restarted/redesigned, but aside from that, I'm finished. Make mine Marvel.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cattlebattle

Way to go Comicvine, your news is once again like 2 days late

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By doordoor123
    @adribones said:
    Jim Lee redesigns every DC character. yes, because people loooved his Wonder Woman design. :rolleyes:
    I liked it. And it looks like hes redesigning it again. Looks like it from that picture. I just dont like the collars. :/
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @Primmaster64 said:
    You got a deal, sir. I love his new costume
    *Shakes hand*

@Kal'smahboi said:
    I hate this.

Why bro?
    jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By jumpstart55

Yes finally Superman ditches the underwear on the outside look!!!!

guerilla939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By guerilla939

please don't screw up batman, it is going quite well, and please don't mess up batman beyond, it has had a great start. that is all i ask

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By doordoor123
    @DoctorTrips said:
    .......  .......  As expected as it was, that's crap. Nothing against Jim Lee and Geoff Johns but do we really need modernizations? The modern age sucks. Sucks hard. I don't want to read about a Superman who is hip and young and has stupid emo bitch problems with his powers. I want to read about a Superman who carries great weight and resonates as an established authority for DC's superheroes. I want a Superman who showed up in 1938. Who fought in World War II and has at least aged so damn slow that he can pass of as at least 30.  I'm half expecting this reboot to be like Ultimate Marvel, nothing against that either but a lot of the characters are so unlikeable (such as the Ultimates). I don't want a gritty realistic take on these characters or a realistic cynical take on them. I don't want the Justice League to be a task force formed by the government. Modernizing an entire universe removes the element of fun and excitment that comics used to have. I'm not even talking about Golden and Silver age stuff, I just mean since 2000 comics have just gone haywire in terms of giving bullshit explanations for superpowers, i.e. the metagene. It's not enough to just be struck by lightning and have superspeed; oh no we can't accept that because it's just not realistic. Boo hoo, it's not about trying to apply this to real life science it's about enjoyment. It is distracting us comic fans from the sad truth that we're going to die one day; sad and alone, wondering where it all went wrong.  A modernization is just worthless, because these characters will still be around in a hundred damn years - we'll go through ten more modernizations to try and make these characters 'accesible' to new readers; readers who shouldn't want to see their heroes deal with real life issues; nothing against that either it's cool to...try, but whatever real life issues they try to deal with they will just piss a lot of people off, like Superman did recently when he got involved into a real world issue, that he shouldn't have poked his damn nose into.  It's just stupid, 10 years from now they'll repeat this. They shouldn't ignore their 75 years of history, they should include it. They should build up from it not break it all apart and try to knot it all together with turn of the century tape. Their continuity doesn't have to be this iron wall that new readers can't penetrate.  Redesigning their costumes is fine, even though they'll just go for the traditional costumes in a few years. But modernizing it; just a shitty fucking idea.
    Sorry I only read the beginning of what you said. I read up to "Do we need any more modernizations?' The rest i assumed was you crying. 
    Anyhow, YES we need modernizations. The comic book industry is dying. DC needs new readers. And they need to aim for a new generation. Thats what this will do.
    RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By RedSteel15

I love Geoff Johns work, but man. FUCK THIS. I bet this is going to ruin Batman.  
    I can't believe this (or actually, I can, reboots all the freaking time), goddamnit.  Why DC? I just got way into your shit, and now you're rebooting? 

This is tragic in some ways. The books that have gone on and on for so long, now that is just washed away and here comes redesigned and altered versions of the heroes we love? Fuck me. 

I might be overreacting or have missunderstood something but come oooooooooon...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Gambit1024

Damn, I forgot that the villains are gonna get makeovers too! 

Captain Cold, Cheetah, and all the other lame villains still have a chance! ^_^

Leadcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Leadcat

Not a fan of this. What does it even accomplish really? One of the biggest complaints I've heard from people not wanting to get in to DC is the constant retcons. 

I wonder what Grant Morrison thinks, since this is pretty much the opposite of his "everything is canon" approach. Speaking of Morrison, does this mean his amazing run on Batman gets reset? I'm really worried about what all of this could mean.

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

I have a feeling this will fail miserably.Everything will be back to normal in what?A year?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By doordoor123
    @guerilla939 said:
    please don't screw up batman, it is going quite well, and please don't mess up batman beyond, it has had a great start. that is all i ask
    Is Dick Grayson isnt Batman or Damian doesnt exist, im leaving. And I would kind of wonder if Batman Beyond would get renumbered. It is a great book though. It better never end xD
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By doordoor123
    @TheSavageAssasin said:
    I have a feeling this will fail miserably.Everything will be back to normal in what?A year?
    OR it wont. It could be successful.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88  Edited By RedK

this is gona be awesome can't wait, i think the best part about it is that it's not gona be a big reboot like the crisis storys

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Primmaster64
    @doordoor123: Hey dude..what do you think of superman's new costume?
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By doordoor123
    @Primmaster64 said:
    @doordoor123: Hey dude..what do you think of superman's new costume?
    I dont think its bad... Its not the original. Im a huge fan of progression so im fine with any changes made. I can take the good with the bad.
    GLCorps2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By GLCorps2814
    Its a really good thing I trust Geoff Johns because I really don't like the way those costumes look, but if the comics are written well then I will settle in with them, its like whenever Iron Mans armor changes, it takes some time to adjust to the new armor, but then after a while it becomes comfortable enough to look at. But a reboot, thats kinda extreme, they better not just have everyone forget everything that has happened in DC history, that would royally suck.  

Aquaman being back on the team makes me uneasy, they better not get this too close to the Justice Friends, one single "shape of a bucket of water" and I will lose it. 
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By doordoor123
    @DoctorTrips said:
    @doordoor123: Fuck you dude. It's cool if you disagree, but read the whole damn thing before you go off and say I was crying (I was only tearing up I swear). I think I make some good points as to why this is a bullshit move on their part.
    Sorry i didnt mean to offend you. I assume everyone is crying.
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheSavageAssasin
    @doordoor123: Do you really think that the incredibly loyal DC fan base who has been reading their stuff for a while is going to respect this decision and be happy that all the continuity is gone?I know im not going to be...
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#94  Edited By DMC
    The digital thing? Good idea. Not so sure about the rest.  Younger more modern takes on all the characters can't work for everyone.  

And doesn't this make Superman Earth-One pointless?

@jumpstart55 said:
    Yes finally Superman ditches the underwear on the outside look!!!!
    I don't get what the big deal is. How come no one every complains about Batman's outside undies?
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By iLLituracy

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just start an Ultimate line?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jordanstine

It's like reading Uncanny X-Men right now, and then picking up to read Ultimate X-Men #1.

That's the feeling of how this is going to be.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By doordoor123
    @TheSavageAssasin said:
    @doordoor123: Do you really think that the incredibly loyal DC fan base who has been reading their stuff for a while is going to respect this decision and be happy that all the continuity is gone?I know im not going to be...
    Yeah and most of those loyal fans are over 65 years old. There are test that prove it. Im sure the changes wont be too major. They need a new audience. A new generation. DC comics is about making good stories and theyll continue to do so.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By doordoor123
    @iLLituracy said:

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just start an Ultimate line?

I agree. This should have happened. But having a "reboot" makes people talk more and gets the word out there to potential new readers.
    RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By RedSteel15
    @iLLituracy: Would've made too much sense.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#100  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I'm excited, can't wait to see what they have in store.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.