Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Top 5 Highest Selling Comics of September Are DC Books

• 80 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Many of DC's 'new 52' titles have gone on to second, third and fourth printings; so it came as no surprise to fans when the publisher revealed that Batman #1 became the "#1 comic book units for September" and that the first issue of Action Comics is #1 in dollars for September. But that's not all. According to DC's press release, five of the tope five comics in September were DC titles.

No Caption Provided
    5 of the Top 5 comic books for the month of September.
    o 8 out of the Top 10 comic books for the month of September.
    o 17 of the Top 20 comic books for the month of September.
    o 19 of the Top 25 comic books for the month of September.
    o 32 of the Top 50 comic books for the month of September.

While we won't have a really good idea of the actual sales numbers until next year, it's important to note (as Heidi has done on The Beat) that the numbers these statistics are based upon are actually 10% lower than the actual sales because of DC's "return clause." Additionally, as another source has reported, these numbers may not be incorporating the second, third and fourth printings of these titles. We should also mention that digital sales are not included in the following statistics since these are strictly based on Diamond sales.

== TEASER ==

What this means is that DC comics may have finally beat out Marvel in sales; something they haven't been able to do in years. Marvel Comics has consistently remained in first place for as long as we can remember, with DC in second place.

No Caption Provided

According to an article on Newsarama, DC Comics came in second place after Marvel Comics in terms of overall yearly sales for 2010; which means they beat the Batman publisher by nearly a full 10% in Unit Market Share for the year.

Marvel finished the year as the comic book industry’s top publisher, leading both the Dollar and Unit Market Share categories, with a 38% Dollar Share, and a 43% Unit Market Share. DC Comics - whose best-selling title of the year was Blackest Night #8, good for third place on the year-end chart - was the industry’s second leading publisher in 2010 with 30% Dollar Share, and a 34% Unit Share.

It will be interesting to see in the coming months whether DC can maintain these sales numbers and continue to beat Marvel's dollar and unit sales on a monthly basis. Since the real numbers won't be available to us until the end of the year (and will likely not incorporate the digital sales of comics), all we can really do is wait. Perhaps 2011 will be DC's year? Do you think they will keep their numbers up? How much do you think sales will decline? What do you think Marvel has to do to get back to the #1 spot?

Image Source: Comics Alliance

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

Congrats to DC.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By KainScion

cuz everybody wants #1 issues, thinking they' gonna be valuable some day or just wanna if they're any good. show me the sales on #4 issues.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Bestostero

Of course they have the top five highest selling comics after the reboot! Again, it only means something if they can keep the momentum in my opinion, which I think they can, i enjoyed a lot of the books in the new 52.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Kairan1979

What can I say? Congratulations.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By super_psycho
    @InnerVenom123 said:

Congrats to DC.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Osiris1428

Marvel Comic's Ultimate relaunch got SPANKED!! But Ultimate Spider-Man turned out to be good so far.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wattup

In yo' face, Quesada!

That being said, I miss the underwear-on-the-outside costumes. 8 (

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Hector

Awesome news, lets hope the sales stay up!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm glad that DC's big attempt at revitalizing everything worked.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daveyo520

I wonder how much of those sales are just random people picking up books because they are Number 1s and hope they are worth money some day. Like when they bought the Obama Spider-Man issue. Let's see how many come back for more.

MakoaWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MakoaWolf

Congratulations to DC, though I have my reservations.

However, and I believe Babs and G-Man and others can correct me if I'm wrong; this is the first time DC has launched this many Number 1 titles in, well, many - many - many years. I don't know the exact numbers, but in some cases, its an excess of 70 years or more. If you're a collector of things, and those things include comics, you almost have to buy Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics#1. Maybe they'll be worth the thousands that their predecessors are worth now, in another 70 years or so. In order for us to determine if this is a turnaround move for DC, I think we'll need to let the dust settle and wait until after issues 4,5,6 hit, to see if the readership keeps up. Right now, I think we're seeing collector inflation on those number 1s, and subsequent printings.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zackattack529

@KainScion: AGREED. at my LCS all the people would litterally crowd around talking to each other about how there gonna put them on ebay and bla bla bla. it sucks cuz me and my friends actually just WANT TO READ THEM aha i mean we also low-key want the first print ,but not for money reasons.. but to collect. and these assholes at my LCS would buy 2-3 copies of the same issue of every 52 issue and you know damn well there not gonna read them!? and which left me and my friends sometimes gettin nothin. but luckily i had a pull and got the comics i was interested in. and i can tell you if the 52 series makes any money its becuz of me haha but i agree by the time january the sales wont be as high. last month was probably the highest...unless theres a big event that involves all the 52's my bet is on that mysterious pink robe chik.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Billy Batson

...and that blog is getting locked.
    BB

hulk_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hulk_beyond

I'm rooting for DC's success but I'm doubtful their numbers will be this high next year.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheBlackHood

I think one of DC's biggest strengths with the relaunch is that the comics are becoming very self sufficient. What I mean by that is: In four months of solicits, there are only TWO crossovers and those are single issues. Green Arrow appearing in Grifter and Kyle Rayner appearing VooDoo. Now Teen Titans and Superboy crossover but those books are interlinked. What this means is that DC is allowing people to pick and choose what they want to read without missing out on anything. In essence, DC is becoming the antithesis of Marvel who is pushing 10 or more major crossovers a year. I hope DC intends to keep their current strategy as I find myself much more excited for the Grifter and VooDoo issues than I do for Marvel's "What book will Wolverine appear in this month" trend.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16  Edited By DMC

@MooseyMcMan said:

whoa whoa whoa......one swallow (the bird) does not a summer make Moosey-san

in other words, lets at least see what the rest of the year brings.

AlexDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17  Edited By AlexDM

@DMC said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also: their objective was partly to bring in people who didn't already buy comics. Being top of the charts means they sold more than other publishers, not necessarily that they significantly increased the number of people buying books.

I hope it did work, but this could equally be them stealing readers from Marvel, or Marvel's readership declining. Or it could be people like me, who only used to read a handful of DC titles, taking a chance on a bunch of heavily-marketed new-reader-friendly books.

rouder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rouder

I don't believe DC can maintain this. This has just been one huge marketing operation that peaks NOW. And I would like to point out, that some sources imply Marvel has lost market share and lost relatively compared to DC, but Marvel's absolute numbers are stable, so the company does not have to worry about their income.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I think this was kind of expected

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xaviersx

It's a given. Look at Hawk and Dove as well. It's the start of something either new across the board, or at least the current attempt. Speculators still buy whether there is a real long term resale market. The return of old customers who left behind or abandoned is of interest, and also how many really left. Again, I'll wait a year, see what the anniversary remarks on the change. It may wind up a whole lot of nothing, or a great jumping on/returning point (especially if there are tpbs.

Hopefully this promotes comic back into healthier numbers for all players in the game, independents and big two. This is just one venue. They still need to advertise at the beginning of their own tv shows and movies that the books are the source/inspiration and that the books are online and in comicbook shops that the audience can find local, likely.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@AlexDM said:

@DMC said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also: their objective was partly to bring in people who didn't already buy comics. Being top of the charts means they sold more than other publishers, not necessarily that they significantly increased the number of people buying books.

I hope it did work, but this could equally be them stealing readers from Marvel, or Marvel's readership declining. Or it could be people like me, who only used to read a handful of DC titles, taking a chance on a bunch of heavily-marketed new-reader-friendly books.

I STAND BY MY WORDS! Even if sales of DC comics drop to ZERO and DC ceases to exist, I will stand by my words!

Actually, I was right. All I said was that it revitalized it. Which it did. Maybe it'll last, maybe it won't. BUT MY WORDS RANG WITH THE TRUTH OF A THOUSAND BATMANS!

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By DMC

@MooseyMcMan said:

@AlexDM said:

@DMC said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I STAND BY MY WORDS! Even if sales of DC comics drop to ZERO and DC ceases to exist, I will stand by my words!

Actually, I was right. All I said was that it revitalized it. Which it did. Maybe it'll last, maybe it won't. BUT MY WORDS RANG WITH THE TRUTH OF A THOUSAND BATMANS!

So as it stands, their revitalized DCU strategy has worked....for a month.

I'm pretty sure one moth isn't DC's goal, they're thinking long term therefore we mustn't think in the short term.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iaconpoint

I love Marvel's characters and always will, but TAKE THAT MARVEL!

And thank you DC. Big payoffs happen when taking big chances.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By papad1992
    @KainScion said:

cuz everybody wants #1 issues, thinking they' gonna be valuable some day or just wanna if they're any good. show me the sales on #4 issues.

Haha that's so true.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Awesome stuff really! A strong start and I really hope DC can keep this up. It really is amazing that DC takes the top spot for a change, and no I don't say that just because I'm much more partial to DC than I am Marvel. Hopefully it is still strong come December and January. Would be equally intense if DC kept up this success even unto this time next year and beyond. Maybe it is a new age for DC now with this total revamp. GO DC!!!!

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Glad to hear that. Dc took a risk and they won in the end

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I'm glad to see it, but it seemed expected, with everything selling out. It will be interesting to see where they are in a year or so.

drumguyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By drumguyrob

@KainScion: Probably won't be any different than Marvel's current sales. Everyone immediately brings up how DC probably won't continue the sales trend of the #1s; but once they slow down, they won't be any lower than the average sales of other publishers. So where's the argument? People seem to think that DC's relaunch is only successful if it continues to blow everyone else out of the water, but that's nonsense. Unless the industry is blown wide open, no publisher is actually going to change the game. I've enjoyed far more DC books since the relaunch, and in my mind, that's success.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jordanstine

From Digital Spy:

Diamond Comic Distributors' sales figures for September 2011 show that DC holds 35.74% of the market in dollars and 43.04% in units sold, in comparison to Marvel's 35.70% and 37.88% respectively.

However, writer Warren Ellis was quick to downplay the significance of September's figures: So DC Comics' media-blitzed massive relaunch of its entire line in September got them this: A half-point lead in dollar share over Marvel Comics (who had one high-profile launch in the September frame)," he wrote on his blog. "A five-point lead in units sold over Marvel Comics. But all those units DC sold are returnable.

Congratulations, but that's disappointing.

DC = 35.74% and 43.04%

Marvel = 35.70% and 37.88%

DC barely won the market share by a nose hair of 0.04% and 5% of units sold.

You would think DC's massive relaunch would propel them to a 10% share with 25% more units at the very least with all those #1 issues.

At the rate this is going, DC will be outpaced by Marvel again come issue #4-5 if not sooner.

Winning a lap is good, but this is a marathon.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#30  Edited By The Impersonator

What do you think Marvel has to do to get back to the #1 spot?

I think everyone will know the answer to this question. Hint Hint. We better pray it won't happen. If you know what I mean.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adnan

@Jordanstine:I agree, sales-wise this must be disappointing for DC. And this is coming from someone who only reads DC too.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uniform

@KainScion said:

Yep. Most of the #1 issues were off the shelves before I even made my way to the lone comic book store in my city. Some first prints I've ordered online, others I'm waiting on second prints.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By difficlus

@The Impersonator said:

What do you think Marvel has to do to get back to the #1 spot?

I think everyone will know the answer to this question. Hint Hint. We better pray it won't happen. If you know what I mean.

lol

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

most of the 1st issues i read i loved. and marvel was knocked out of the #1 spot years ago when transformers returned. dreamwave published it then and it was sick to see an indie company do that.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By goldenkey

just give it about 5 to 6 months and Marvel will be on top again. They haven't just beating DC for YEARS they've been killing the. DC won this month which was expected, but they only edged them out. Marvel will prevail as usual.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By goldenkey

all Marvel has to do is wait it out.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ssejllenrad

I hope Marvel won't be back to number 1... Nyehehehe!

novakidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By novakidx

I'm sure DC is just riding a high..and I'm still surprised this "new 52" stunt is working in their favor, at this point I think that DC's sales are going to slump back down eventually...but it's very unpredictable, who knows? they could stay on top

I feel like making all those movies really helped sell marvel to the 'public eye'...but it seems like a complete relaunch with boosted marketing does even beater :)

Cakeman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cakeman3000

Not to take out the anger of collectors on this comment but these comics are a story and, like any other, most people rather read a good one. Good for DC, heck they've kept their comics at 2.99 to 3.99 unlike the outrageous 8 bucks for this one young avengers from Marvel(no offense Marvel, you're great but you've been slacking and caring about the collector more than the story you're trying to give readers). DC has really thought about what they're doing and, for the time being, they deserve most of the rewards but of course there has to be some mistakes. Of the new 52 I've read, I have only disliked one to two, so thank you DC for trying to bring some change and letting relatively new readers jump in on these stories.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By jrock85

@Jordanstine said:

From Digital Spy:

Diamond Comic Distributors' sales figures for September 2011 show that DC holds 35.74% of the market in dollars and 43.04% in units sold, in comparison to Marvel's 35.70% and 37.88% respectively.

However, writer Warren Ellis was quick to downplay the significance of September's figures: So DC Comics' media-blitzed massive relaunch of its entire line in September got them this: A half-point lead in dollar share over Marvel Comics (who had one high-profile launch in the September frame)," he wrote on his blog. "A five-point lead in units sold over Marvel Comics. But all those units DC sold are returnable.

DC = 35.74% and 43.04%

You would think DC's massive relaunch would propel them to a 10% share with 25% more units at the very least with all those #1 issues.

At the rate this is going, DC will be outpaced by Marvel again come issue #4-5 if not sooner.

It should be noted that Marvel put out twice as many books as DC in September, but DC was still able to win the market and dollar share.

Even before this massive relaunch, I've been noticing that more Marvel fans are gravitating towards DC than the other way around.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sethysquare

sure naysayers. doubt dc all u want. the facts are here, and theyre here to stay

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By zombietag

@sethysquare said:

sure naysayers. doubt dc all u want. the facts are here, and theyre here to stay

good luck with them staying around

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GTG12

I'm a pretty big Marvel guy but I say congrats to DC.
    RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44  Edited By RedOwl_1

Well I have to say it New 52 calls OUR attention an i'm sure than unless they have other 2 good months of "good" selling (like the rest of the year) the next year is going to depend of how good are they going with the issues. Oh I'm forgetting someting... ah yeah IN YOUR FACE MARVEL :P

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Trodorne
    @KainScion said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Im sorry but i work in a comic store and i have to laugh everytime someone thinks a recent number 1 is worth lots of money like those people who think death of superman and Spawn #1 are worth alot of money. *wipes away tear after laughing*
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Sobe Cin

They can have it, Schism failed at the end. Such a good opening.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Or35ti

I'm sure they'll be able to keep momentum for a while longer :D

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By super_psycho
    @jrock85 said:

@Jordanstine said:

From Digital Spy:

DC = 35.74% and 43.04%

It should be noted that Marvel put out twice as many books as DC in September, but DC was still able to win the market and dollar share.

Even before this massive relaunch, I've been noticing that more Marvel fans are gravitating towards DC than the other way around.

marvel sold most of their books for $3.99. i m sure DC will sell more than marvel in october too
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

You already know that quite a few of DC's comics will lose readers during the first arc already. There are already quite a few of people that are dropping some of the titles they bought after the first issue. Sure books like Batman, Justice League, Action Comics, etc. will keep a ( very ) high number of readers, but if many of the other books are going to die out after only one arc, DC isn't going to keep their share of the market.

This being said, I do hope that DC will be kept in a more competitive state with Marvel, mainly because I hope this will force Marvel to drop the prices on many of their books. Currently about half of Marvel's books are priced at 3.99, opposed to DC's 2.99 tactic. I think 3.99 is quite a lot for a single comic, especially if you don't have any extra pages. But it isn't high enough to actually make people stop reading the comics as well, at least not until you get an alternative that's tempting enough like say a very good Batman comic priced at 2.99.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jhazzroucher

I think it was expected that DC will be dominating the charts for September because of relaunch.

Hopefully, the x-men 20th anniversary edition #1 will also do well for october.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.