Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

The Official DC History Thread

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I love DC's long rich history!

I love the artists and writers that have left their marks over the years. I love crude, patriotic Golden Age. I love the goofy Silver Age. I love the political Bronze Age. I love the increasingly darker 80's. I kinda love the extreme 90's. I love the modern age. There are parts of the reboot I love. I love the heroes. I love the villains. I love the goofy costumes. I love their relations with one another. Like I said I love the history.

I have been on Comic Vine for a while and really all I see is nothing, but the new stuff. Really there is nothing wrong with that, but so little do I find a thread just discussing the old stuff. Perhaps there isn't an audience for that sorta stuff on the site though I thought why not start a thread just as place to discuss it all.

So now that I got the introduction and explained why I even made this thread. Go on and discuss stuff. Sorry. I'm awkward.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I guess here is something good to start us off. Who do you consider to be the main players of the DC universe?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@crazyscarecrow: Well along with the 7 members of the original Justice League, I think I'd add in Cyborg, Captain Marvel, The Atom, Dick Grayson, Supergirl, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Zatanna, John Constantine, Firestorm, and Hawkman, as well as the Teen Titans (the team itself) particularly Beast Boy and Raven.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I pretty much view it the same way. I do think Jay Garrick and Alan Scott were also pretty big players in the DC universe. As well as the the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans team are main players. All of them went on to do something really big and important to help impact the universe. I also would consider Hawkgirl, John Stewart, whoever is in the Robin costume, Catwoman, and maybe Dr. Fate and the Spectre. Maybe.

But yeah pretty much what you said with the addition of the two main Justice Society guys, John Stewart, Robin (Damian), Hawkgirl, Catwoman, and the Wolfman/Perez original line up (Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven, Wally, Donna, Garth, and Roy). Maybe Dr. Fate. I'm questioning the Spectre.

I also think Joker, Harley, and Lex Luthor also would be main characters when it comes to the villains side.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: I wouldn't count all the members, I think BB and Raven honestly contribute a little more, and represent more with their characters. I wouldn't count Hawkgirl since she hasn't done much (although she could be a maybe), and I defiantly wouldn't count John Stewart. If I were to add another Lantern it would be Kyle considering how important he has been in the comics. I also wouldn't say anyone who has been Robin, they are all well liked and have some importance, but just not enough in my eyes. Doctor Fate I'd put in the maybe category, along with Red Tornado, Katanna, Huntress, Elongated Man, Plastic Man, Phantom Stranger, The Spectre, Vixen, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Etrigan, Power Girl, Captain Atom, Blue Devil, Black Lightning, Blue Beetle (Ted and Jaime), Booster Gold, Stargirl, Metamorpho, and Starfire as well as the Doom Patrol, Suicide Squad, and Legion of Super heroes (I also guess Firestorm should be in this section, but I'm such a die hard Firestorm fanboy I didn't have the heart to admit it).

I also wouldn't count Jay and Alan, I prefer to just think of the JSA as a colective team as one of DC's essental characters (or in more accurate terms, properties). I probably should have added them to my first list.

Maybe sometime down the line we could sort out who we think are the definite yeses, and who's just a little too obscure or unimportant to not make the list.

I say lets not get into villains... yet.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I feel like the whole Wolfman/Perez original line up are essential to the DC universe. I agree with you on Raven and Beast Boy they contribute much and represent so much. With Beast Boy he brings the Doom Patrol and more obscure teams and characters like that into promience in the DC universe and his powers are pretty cool. He brings an interesting perspective since he has always kinda been written as the superhero that isn't sure where he belongs. The Doom Patrol kinda rejected him remarking him as an annoyance originally and he has always been the youngest of the original Titans. With Raven she gave us the formation of the New Teen Titans. Without her the Teen Titans as we know them wouldn't be possible or of quite importance since she was so influential during the period the Titans became stars.

With Wally, Donna, Garth, and Roy I think they bring the legacy, sidekick feel of growing up which has been important to the whole legacy aspect DC has/had. They have also founded the Teen Titans. I think I would consider them. The only one I would really think of dropping is Garth though I like Garth. Hawkgirl hasn't done much. Neither has John that really did impact the universe in a big way. I guess I was just letting JL cartoons interfere with my thoughts. I do think John at least has done more than Firestorm. Or Kyle. I agree with what you have to say about Kyle. Though I am kinda oblivious to Firestorm. Perhaps you can explain and defend his place as a main player.

I'm not saying anyone I mean whoever is in the Robin mantle and has been for sometime. Not like a Stephanie Brown Robin tenure which was for a brief time, but for a time such as Dick or Tim or even Damian. Really I view Robin as a main player due to the Robin's role in Batman's life and how Robin is usually seen with Batman. I'm not saying Tim or Jason deserves to be considered a main player. The only Robin that deserves to be considered a main player even out of the suit is Dick. I just think whoever is in the suit at the moment would be considered a main player.

I guess I might be like you are with Firestorm with Robin. Though the Robin symbol is known by many more.

I still think Jay and Alan. They represent the Society. They were originally part of the original Fab Five of DC in the Golden Age and they help represent the legacy. Though I do see why they could be classed lower. I mean when I first was getting into comics I was surprised that there was an older Flash and older Green Lantern that fought Nazi's and were around since 1940. I remember that was one of the things that attracted me to DC more than Marvel actually. I loved the idea of such a long history and thought it was neat how these histories lasted so long in some way.

I guess they are more like my Firestorm than Robin is. Yeah, Robin is much more popular. Damian is on pairs of shoes for Christ sakes!

Agreed. Though Joker and Lex are total main players. I'd even consider Harley. I see her kinda becoming what Deadpool is to Marvel. The in between comedian character. Those are all the ones I'll say.

And we'll have to do that list sometime!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think John at least has done more than Firestorm.

Really? I know Firestorm has been a little out of spotlight lately, but he's still been an important part of DC, regardless of whatever combo of humans make him up.

Or Kyle.

Really!? the guy who took over the mantle for Hal, the guy who stood as the lone lantern of DC for a while, the guy who became an integral member of the JL and a lynch pin of the DCU for a time? heck even now in the comics he still has a very important role as White Lantern, and has ended up being the center of some events (heck even God Head has pretty much been about him).

Though I am kinda oblivious to Firestorm

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?

Mutha F@cka how dare you not know about Firestorm, may you burn, burn for eternity for such heresy!

In all seriousness though you asked the right guy because I love Firestorm immeasurably. If you want some reading recommendations, here is a great set of recommendations from what is probably the best fan blog on the internet, Firestormfan.com Trust me when I say that site was made for guys like us, not only does it talk about Firestorm, but every week they have an article on an obscure classic DC character, it is a site worth following for hardcore history loving fans like you and me. Also check out the last two seasons of the Super Friends, they focus a lot on Firestorm and Cyborg, who were both probably the best characters on that show.

As for the Robin stuff that's the mantle, not the character (although mantles would be a good discussion topic for this thread). Tim I would say is in the maybe category, but defiantly not Jason or Damian (not yet anyways, who knows what the future could hold).

Yeah but if they're on the list to represent the Justice Society, then just count the Justice Society itself. While I admit those are probably the 2 most important members, and awesome characters in their own rights (even if Allen was replaced by a god at one point)I still feel they aren't enough of icons to be considered core players of the DCU. Then again if we are counting Raven and Beast Boy, they could also be eligible.

Yeah Lex, Harley and Joker, while villains, could be considered core players of DC.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Well, that's fine. My real name is actually Phoenix so I'll just rise from the ashes.

And great points about Kyle. When I think about he is really, really, really important to the DC universe. And thanks for the site recommendation. I think I heard about it on the Aquaman Shrine. Sounds like a really cool website. Especially with spotlighting...the obscure!!! My little brother has an old 80's issue of Firestorm. I might take it from him sometime to read.

I agree with Tim when I think about it. I mean Tim has starred in his own Robin book and starred with Batman in the Detective and Batman comics. Not to mention Young Justice and Teen Titans. Yeah. Tim is THE Robin for the modern age. Though I can see Damian overtaking his role. I think Damian is a really good and interesting character and now that DC is bringing him back, plus, even marketing Damian as THE Robin nowadays (like they should be doing) I think Damian could become a character to knock Tim out of his spot.

Really recently Tim hasn't been doing much. I mean he starred in Lobdell's terrible Teen Titans though that was really it. I guess that's why I kinda forgot him. Funny seeing that I just found a pile Robin comics from the Tim Drake days that I never read before last night so have been reading those a lot.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: Dang, that's an awesome name. As for me my true identity is Yor, Hunter from the Future.

Good, take it, then kick him and run! your lucky to have a brother who likes comics, I'm slowly trying to lure my brother in. Hopefully the Geoff Johns Superman comic I gave him, and all the DC animated films will help.

I completely agree about Tim and Damian.

Yeah, at the very least Lobdell fixed his origin in New 52 Secret Origins #3, now he needs a solo series and he will be back on track.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@captainmarvel4ever: Thanks! I was not making it up!

When he born I was just getting into comics so he has always been exposed to comics. I usually always try to come back home with at least one comic for him when I got to the local shop. Sometimes he'll come with me. So far he has 4 Marvel preview comics, a JLA trade, a Green Arrow comic, Teen Titans Go!, The Adventures of Bret Haul (Yes. They made a comic series featuring the adventures of a Blues hockey player. The 90's in a nutshell), and the old Firestorm. This kid knows a lot for his age. Much more than I ever did.

I might kick the 6 year old. I wouldn't be as bad as a human being as I am now.

I'll have to get Secret Origins #3. I want to see this so called fixed origin.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: Neither was I, how dare you doubt Yor.

I'm trying to do the same thing, when I get my stack of comics I try to find one for him.

Not sure what ya mean.

That issue was basically Lobdell saying "Sorry I screwed it up, here's the origin you like, please don't hate me"

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@captainmarvel4ever: I am oh so sorry Yor.

My brother is 6. You told me to kick him and take his comics.

And that's sweet of Lobdell! I'm gonna hunt it down and buy it. Then if I like I'll do a Cardinal drawing saying "I don't hate you...anymore."

I met Lobdell. He really is a nice guy. Him and Kenneth Rocafort signed me one of Superman comics and Scott gave me the H'el villains month and signed them. Scott really is a nice guy. I just can't stand what he did to my Teen Titans. With the decisions made about the reboot with having Cyborg on the main team and leaving out so many important Titans that shaped who the Titans were like Wally, Donna, and Garth it would've been hard to do a Teen Titans. Though he didn't have to wreck the characters he was given.

Happy Scott told he was sorry.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: Damn right you are.

Yeah but I don't get what you mean by "I wouldn't be as bad as a human being as I am now"

Oh yeah he's a great guy, he bought about 150 X-Men comics with his own money and gave them to a bunch of kids for free. However there is no denying that his run on the Titans was completely awful, and the worst thing in all of the New 52.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Oh that. I was joking. Much of my joking is criticizing myself. It is very evident through my work at times haha.

That is really cool! I really, really like this guy now. But no matter how nice he it will never truly make up for his tenure with the Titans.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: Ah I see I just didn't get it at first, sorry bout that.

Yeah when it comes to comics I view people in 2 lenses, personally and professionally. Personally: I think he's a great guy, professionally: he ruined the Titans so badly, that it's going to be a while before they can be fixed and really good again. Still, I think as a writer he has the potential to do other good projects in the future, he just needs to stay far away from the Titans.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrazyScarecrow
    MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

BUMP

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.