Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

The New Proposed DC Logo (Why it is bad.)

raptorsrevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By raptorsrevenge

You can see the proposed mock ups here.

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/follow-up_dc_comics.php

Then you can read Tom Muller's design reasoning on why the logo may have some positives, it ultimately doesn't work for DC. Posted on his G+ feed.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/112006155321588203400/posts/QrBbQQacWRG

Everyone and their grandma has been chiming in with their opinion the last few days when DC unveiled their new logo, and subsequent application designs.

As a designer who has his fingers in both pies, the design and comics industry (and yes, DC is — or maybe after this was — a client), I naturally have an opinion on the new logo and I've been equally guilty of tweeting my thoughts, but you can only say so much with 140 characters, so here goes:

I'm not sold on it. Its a very interesting beast this one, and while I see what it aspires to, I feel it falls flat in many ways. First though, the positives.

- Its designed by Landor, who I think do some great work. Its refreshing to see DC outsourcing their company branding and strategy to a brand agency that lives "outside" of comics. I always harp on about comics living in a bubble and being too self-referential when it comes to design, so hiring a brand agency that works across industries is a good thing, and brings a fresh eye to the task. It doesn't look like comics, and as mentioned in the press release, it looks mature and can stand side-by-side with popular entertainment brands and TV idents for example.

- The new brand is as much a statement of intent as a visual overhaul. It looks contemporary, its designed to live in an age where consumption of entertainment via digital platforms and devices is becoming the standard (if its not already in some areas). Its designed to be 'alive', to be animated, and be part of (what I assume) a push by DC to carve a niche in screen-based entertainment (which would include comics).

- Its a flexible brand. The identity is designed as a container, and can be easily adopted to create sub-strands within the brand without losing any brand equity.

So yes, I do see a good side to it. I've never been a fan of the previous 'detergent' logo that was launched in 2005, even though that one retained some of the 'comic book' qualities in its design, I didn't think it fitted the DC brand. Especially after the New 52 relaunch in September 2011 when different textures and colour ways were applied to it to differentiate the families of books (for example all the Superman comics have a blue and red DC logo, Batman books are dark and gritty, etc) it felt a bit forced. The new logo allows for easy colour marking and extra textures to make the logo stand out as a character in itself.

But. Put together, all those elements don't make for a great identity. And here's why:

- Its designed by Landor, who are not known for their entertainment branding. They excel at branding FMCG and big corporates (yes, I'm aware DC, or its parent Warner, is a corporate entity and comics can be seen as FMCG), but I believe the new identity is a bit too cold, too corporate for a company like DC. Its utilitarian and sterile. Even adding effects and textures doesn't change the fact that its a very austere design that needs an effect applied to make it enticing.

- The typography under the logo mark is poor. I get the Gotham reference, but is it really the most appropriate typeface? The lockup doesn't work either — breaking it up on 2 lines (possibly so they can swap comics with whatever they need), and from the moment it is applied to a cover, it needs to move into a very awkward position next to the mark, because that has been pushed to the spine (silver lining: it does create more space to place the cover logo).

- Speaking of cover applications. The logo can - as far as I see it - only be applied using flat/gradient colours. All the fancy textures that bring the mark to life will compete with the cover art and will make it illegible. Placing the logo flush also eliminates the clear 'D' shape, so what you see at a glance is a 'C' under a half peeled sticker. Every application I've seen so far needs 'DC COMICS' with the mark to be clear. There is not unique signifier in the design that says "Thats DC Comics".

(As an aside, Marvel has an incredibly strong brand mark. Simple, adaptable and instantly recognisable)

- The peeled back sticker is a tired gimmick, no matter if you try to sell it as revealing a secret identity. Coming from a design agency like Landor I find that bit disappointing. The same goes for the 'logo as container' concept — its an easy solution to sell multiple applications, from cities to TV channels (the rhetoric of familiarity in design doesn't work because you're just adding noise).

- Why does a logo aimed at moving image, and more importantly portable devices, use the equivalent of a page flip? Surely there are more interesting visual cues appropriate for the 'digital age' (like for example The New Aesthetic), or do people still flip pages on screens?

And lastly, I feel its a shame DC didn't stay closer to home and look in its own back yard for ideas for their rebrand, even if it was just top level consulting. You might think "Aah, now you're going to blow your own trumpet Muller!", but thats not what I'm implying. Comics work with a lot of outside design talent, and they all live and breathe comics, but also design in all its forms (trumpet!), and that is what I believe is needed in cases like this — not a corporate makeover but an insight into what works as modern design and appropriate for comics cartoons, toys, etc (personally Rian Hughes springs to mind).

Of course, a big corporation will always seek out another big corporation to do business with, and not the small(er) independents. I would have loved to see what agencies like Wolff Olins or Moving Brands would have done with it.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Hector

I think it looks horrible. It looks like a generic template any image editing software comes with.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bladewolf

Personally, I don't think the new logo is all that bad. Do I love it? No, but even so I think it's definitely an improvement over the old logo. It may even grow on me, but who knows.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RedOwl_1

It's cool but It's going to be hard get used to it.

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mina319

i prefer the one we have now

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself

it's not the greatest but at the same time I could care less about what their logo looks like...it still only takes up about an inch of space out of the entire book and isn't affecting the inside at all

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@danhimself said:

it's not the greatest but at the same time I could care less about what their logo looks like...it still only takes up about an inch of space out of the entire book and isn't affecting the inside at all

+5 to logic.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

@ReVamp said:

@danhimself said:

+5 to logic.

the worst I've seen so far is a few people saying that they're dropping all of DC's books because of the logo change??? I sometimes wonder if people don't think about their decisions before announcing them...dropping all of DC's books because of a logo change is like saying that Pepsi is your favorite soda but OH NO they've changed their logo!! now the only reasonable thing to do is to stop drinking their soda because you can't support their communist ideas and hideous design schemes

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@danhimself said:

the worst I've seen so far is a few people saying that they're dropping all of DC's books because of the logo change??? I sometimes wonder if people don't think about their decisions before announcing them...dropping all of DC's books because of a logo change is like saying that Pepsi is your favorite soda but OH NO they've changed their logo!! now the only reasonable thing to do is to stop drinking their soda because you can't support their communist ideas and hideous design schemes

People are... dropping DC because... of this?

I could write three paragraphs, but I'll just do this:

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By _Zombie_

@ReVamp said:

@danhimself said:

People are... dropping DC because... of this?

I could write three paragraphs, but I'll just do this:

Read the comments section of every facebook post by DC since the new logo was unveiled. It consists of whiny brats 'threatening' to drop all DC books because of this stupid logo change.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11  Edited By owie  Moderator

Great article--real detailed, specific typography/design criticism, as opposed to just "I don't like it because it sucks"!

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Hector said:

I think it looks horrible. It looks like a generic template any image editing software comes with.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ARMIV2

While I don't think it's the worst logo to ever replace a really great logo (Rare), I just don't get that same "impact" from looking at it. That's probably kinda dumb, but little things like that are kind of important to me.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

Am I the only person who doesn't give a sh*t about logos

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

Cuz it is?

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Whisper_

It looks like a teenager with photoshop designed it. Not worthy.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Looks like a logo more suited for a computer company, for some reason.

Why mess with a good thing? Consistency is nothing to be afraid of.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheSheepHerder

Meh, it looks like a logo for a defense contractor.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Even after a couple of days I still can't stand it.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nickthedevil

I personally Love it... It's a big improvement... Wondering how reaction would be if marvel followed suit... they usually do that with their Dreaded Competitor

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By _Zombie_

@joshmightbe said:

Am I the only person who doesn't give a sh*t about logos

No, you're not. I myself fail to see how a picture that takes up a tiny spot on the cover affects the quality of the books.

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By GamerGeek360

I loved the swish, wasn't in to comics when the bullet was standard, but I'm not liking this. I may like it eventually but it just looks out of place. Especially on the comics. Ultimately, however, the logo doesn't matter. As long as the quality of the books is still good, I'll give them the $2.99 (or $3.99 in some cases) for whatever crazy-branded comics they hand out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.