Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

The Future of DC Superhero Films

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided

According to Collider, there's going to be some big changes happening over at Warner Brothers with their films, but nothing to be scared about. This is what their sources were told:

The thing you need to realize is under Alan Horn, Warner Bros. instituted a tent pole release strategy which calls for a few event films to be made every year. For the last decade, Harry Potter has been used to fill the release calendar and now that the franchise is ending after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, the studio needs need blood to take it’s place and a new way of earning the huge money that only tent pole releases can generate.

Makes sense as to why we haven't seen as many DC films as we could have in the past decade. They want Harry Potter to be the focus of their company right now because it will for sure bring in big dollars. However, with Deathly Hallows part one coming out this November and part two coming out July 2011, where does that leave WB? There aren't any more Harry Potter movies to do, so where should they go to next? DC Comics. From what their sources told them, and what you probably already know from the picture at the top, we could be seeing not only a Batman film in 2012, but also a Flash film! 

I’ve heard the studio is currently talking to directors and they’ll announce who it is when they’ve found the right choice...Again, The Flash isn’t confirmed, but I’m telling you, it’s the next new superhero movie at Warner Bros. and we’re going to hear about it soon.

No Caption Provided
    It feels like Warner Brothers, as well as DC, has been giving this character the shaft when it comes to films. He's had a bit part in New Frontier, and Crisis on Two Earths, while Superman and Batman have two straight-to-dvd releases each. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern also have their own straight-to-dvd feature, and the next one planned is another Batman animated feature. It's about time this character got his own property, except for that television show.

Aside from the Flash, this does open a large door to the DCU. Superman, Batman, and soon to be Jonah Hex and Green Lantern are already established, so maybe we could see a Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Justice Society of America, or Green Arrow films. If Warner Brothers REALLY wants to keep those Harry Potter fans in the seats, there's only one movie you can do... Vertigo's Unwritten. The book is about the son of an author who wrote a series of Harry Potter-esque books, and the son finds out that these were not works of fiction, but stories from his old life which he can't remember. This story is not for kids though.

Reading this, what movies do you guys think DC/WB should do next?

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

too many to say, because they avoided so many for so long
    (the reason is understandable though, WB has alot of obligations
    and only so much resource)
    honestly i say lets see them fully release a few first before getting to
    many dreams about. as odd as it may sound to some, i wish they would 
    rent a property or so out to another company to get the ball rolling harder.
    if i had my pick something WStorm of course. 

the studio needs blood...
     the studio needs blood...
    AndyKeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AndyKeel

who is this actor?

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By johnny_spam

Wow it's weird I like superhero films but I do not want the main public to feel oversaturated with the genre and get bored and stop coming to see them. That's why the Marvel Avengers project makes me nervous (that and the writer) at Marvel Iron Man did good Incredible Hulk did okay not great and that future of that franchise is in question.  

I think maybe Wonder Woman and not a Justice League film but something that mixes them up like a DCU movie similar to New Frontier. 

And everytime I see Harry Potter mentioned on this website I am surprised no one talks about Tim Hunter who was the original Harry Potter.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4  Edited By The_Martian

I so can't wait for a Flash movie.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine

Not really interested in seeing a Flash movie...   

There's only so much you can do with "speed" with all the Superman flims already giving that to us without overkilling it.  I can even say I get my daily dose of speed just watching Clark run around in everyday episodes of Smallville.

Horrible visions of the old 90's TV show... Gah! 

People thought making a Captain America costume in this modern era would be tough... wait til they get their hands on Flash's spandex!
    Niko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Niko

Depending on how well "Clash of the Titans" does, I would expect a "Wonder Woman" movie to soon follow. Just copy and paste most of the plot. Marvel thinks they can do a lot of Thor is Asgard, so DC should take a page from their play book and stay mostly on Themyscira dealing with Greek mythology.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Moomin123

I'd love to see a Flash film, but they'd better get it right. I'd also want it to be a Barry Allen film. Also, I'd like it to link with the Green Lantern universe somehow. There's only one guy I could see in the role of Barry Allen... 

Bradley Cooper, he looks loads like Barry and he tried to play Hal Jordan in the new Green Lantern film, so why not try out for Barry?
    Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mathematicscore

I loved the Flash TV show,  warts and all...  And inferiorego, thank you for mentioning Martian Manhunter first in the list of possiblities.  J'ONN J'ONZZ, FTW!!!
    GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By GraveSp

I never thought they could do a good looking Green Lantern film so I wanna see how that turns out before i get on board with a Flash film.  Superspeed is just a weird power for someone to have in a film although I would like to see a movie about the rogues.

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any of them will do if they do it right. The Flash series may not have been that great, depending on who you ask, but the costume was pretty good. That's a grainy pic of it. Still, the series suffered from movie Batmania, as they tried to "darken" everything up, maybe too much. Like crime never happens in daylight, or brightly lit interiors. 

And, it could have used better casting.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I honestly would like to see a Jay Garrick Flash movie with Neal McDonough  as Jay.
    After the Flash I would love to see a Wonderwoman movie.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jordanstine
    @johnny spam said:

"Wow it's weird I like superhero films but I do not want the main public to feel oversaturated with the genre and get bored and stop coming to see them. That's why the Marvel Avengers project makes me nervous (that and the writer) at Marvel Iron Man did good Incredible Hulk did okay not great and that future of that franchise is in question.  

I agree with the oversaturation part in regards to 2nd-tier (and even 3rd-tier) characters like Ghost Rider, The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Blade (Trinity), Daredevil, and Elektra all coming out in a span of just 2 years from their respective studios.  Way too much characters in such a short time-span.

But I think that with Marvel Studios now doing their own films, they're doing it the right way by slowly bringing these characters out (not rushing them... so far), and is the first studio to actually incorporate all these superheroes into 1 single universe never seen before with the much anticipated Avengers film - the build-up just in itself is very exciting for comic book fans just to even imagine!       

W
    arner Bros no doubt sees this and wants to rake in on the same success.  Although it will be a long while before a Justice League will see a release date with all the Superman and Batman technicalities (btw can anyone explain why WB can't have those same actors like Brandon Routh and Christian Bale play those same parts in a JL movie).   

But hopefully WB won't do the same thing that other studios did with their Marvel franchises and just oversaturate the market just to make their comic book films. 

Going back to the Avengers, we know Sony Pictures holds the "Spider-man" rights including things related to his own comic book aside from the Marvel Universe, but does anyone know if this also includes owning the rights to Spider-Woman?

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nyogtha

I'd love to see a Flash movie. Even though I just got into him from Blackest Night.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jordanstine: sorry but your post is very incorrect. Marve Studios didnt make their films, not all. so they didnt " over saturate " the market. several different companies make their films. likewise why we dont see many DC movies, since there all under one movie house instead of several. if there were several DC movies, no one would complain, since thats what theyve been demanding. likewise again, Marvel films came out because there was demand for them, i remember it personal, but in their case there were many different companies with their license so this was achieved. Marvel Studios is not doing their own films at this point now either. companies like Fox, paramount, Lionsgate, ect are. so theyll still be spread out. your only acknowledging the big announcements like say Captain America and Avengers. they have alot more slated like Deathlok for example, as well, companies like Fox and Paramount have contractual obligations to Marvel, and now to Disney to make a certain amount of films for every license they have within a certain time frame or face law suits over contract breaching. so there wont be any shortage of films anytime soon for the House Of M, and why would there? why would Disney of all companies decide they want to make less profit? so its not a matter of WB deciding to be tactful (because not merchandising things like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, ect to worldwide audiences outside of comic readers is quite the opposite of that), they just didnt have the resources since all of the DC and associated licenses have to be done by WB and its affiliates, WB which despite contrary want from comic readers, has alot more properties outside of comics that it has to honor contracts for. thats why we only saw Batman and Superman for years, but multiple movies from Marvel. because DC had to do it in strides and do it right as well, so they also had to go with what was already tested and sold.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Silkcuts

I feel bad for Tim Hunter.
    All the Potter talks and Unwritten fans and poor Tim Hunter is even forgotten by his creator Neil Gaiman.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jordanstine
    @CATMANEXE said:

"@Jordanstine: sorry but your post is very incorrect. Marve Studios didnt make their films, not all. so they didnt " over saturate " the market. several different companies make their films. likewise why we dont see many DC movies, since there all under one movie house instead of several. if there were several DC movies, no one would complain, since thats what theyve been demanding. likewise again, Marvel films came out because there was demand for them, i remember it personal, but in their case there were many different companies with their license so this was achieved. Marvel Studios is not doing their own films at this point now either. companies like Fox, paramount, Lionsgate, ect are. so theyll still be spread out."

Sorry, but you need some Reading Glasses on.   

Where did I say that Marvel Studios made those films I listed?    

Where?   

Where? 

I said those movie's "respective studios" did, but with Marvel Studios coming along and "now doing their own films..." 

Please read it again and read it CAREFULLY this time. 

And please don't be putting words in my mouth.

Thank you.
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CylonDorado

I don't think Flash had just a "bit part" in Fronteir, he had a bigger role then Superman and Wonder Woman. Speaking of which, I hope they get around to all three of those.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngelFrost

If they wanna fill the soon-to-be empty void of Harry Potter ... why not introduce a Teen Titans franchise?, I'd love to see that portrayed onto the big screen. (:  it will be sorta like ... Percy Jackson and Harry Potter meets Batman.

OR  maybe even a Young Justice movie?

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By johnny_spam
    @AngelFrost:  Didn't Percy Jackson fail? And the writer's strike a few years ago stopped a Teen Titans film from being made so they may have missed their chance.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By goldenkey
    @johnny spam said:
    " @AngelFrost:  Didn't Percy Jackson fail? And the writer's strike a few years ago stopped a Teen Titans film from being made so they may have missed their chance. "

They can bring that back any time they want.  Spiderman was passed on about every year before it finally came out.  Plus it would bring nothing but money because the cartoon is still fresh so kids will line up for it.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelFrost
    @johnny spam:   I haven't seen Percy Jackson .. but from what I have seen, it seems to resemble a little like Teen Titans. But it failed?  -  it made over 203 million at the box office, and compared to its 95 million budget, it's done pretty good.

& There's still a chance, never say never.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By johnny_spam
    @AngelFrost said:

" @johnny spam:   I haven't seen Percy Jackson .. but from what I have seen, it seems to resemble a little like Teen Titans. But it failed?  -  it made over 203 million at the box office, and compared to its 95 million budget, it's done pretty good.  & There's still a chance, never say never. "

Yeah but like Superman Returns and Watchmen were number one for a week and they were considered failures it's weird.  
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AngelFrost
    @johnny spam:   yep, pretty weird. :/  Watchmen didn't make that much passed its budget, which was a shame really.
    Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bearded Justice

Really want to see a JSA movie.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By NightFang3

Now all we need is a good actor, director and script.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By greenenvy

GREEN ARROW DUH. He is very realistic, he can be like a semi punisher because he is a hunter archer slash robin hood superman elemental. His origin is his best ever in my opinion because its castaway meets the birth of an action hero. Hello DC wake the hell up dudes! 

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By A-Strondinaire

How would they do a Flash movie? I felt everything you needed to know about flash was from frontier. I don't know Flash just feels like a supporting character.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

IF they did a Green Arrow movie I would love to see either Jeremy Renner, Matt Damon, or Peter Facinelli play Oliver.

high_savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By high_savage

i hate to expect too much about WB..they have not been doing so well about making DC films...they are too slow...they should be more confident of making films about DC since it's the best story and their characters...there are lots of amazing stories about DC characters and still the WB is not confident and slow in promoting the novels...i'm so disappointed of how they filmed the 2 series of batman, they are too simple and no clear of fighting choreo and the superman returns, they chose an aweful story...

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bats

I've been waiting for a big budget Flash movie forever. 
    If it happens, I can definitely see Cooper in the role. 
    Although Reynolds was always my first choice. 
    It would kinda be funny if Cooper does play the Flash considering he got beat by Reynolds for the role of Green Lantern.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I want more dc movies on par with The Dark Knight

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By advocatefish

I agree with the teen titans idea. And the original idea for a Marvel licensed Spiderman movie was that Peter Parker would become and ACTUAL spiderman (half spider half man) when bitten by the radio active spider. If they could get past that dumbass idea and make the Spiderman that came out in 2002 i think dc can get passed whatever happend with the teen titans writers. 

And just throwing it out there- Power Girl movie?
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By WW-Fan

i want Wonder Woman Before The Flash!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

John Constantine remake!

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CylonDorado

@WW-Fan: Me too.

ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By ArachKnight
    @WW-Fan said:
    "i want Wonder Woman Before The Flash!!! "

Yes - Yes and Yes! Here comes my soapbox...... (arachknight grabs a milk crate and stands on the bottem) - k here we go. 

First of all I love the Flash, I would be very excited to see a flash movie and I am sure if it had a great writer, director, and cast I would see it more than once :) 

But Wonder Woman is part of the DC trinity. The Batman and Superman have had their movies - but no effort for Wonder Woman yet? I really hope that this means they are taking their time to make something really good. I know there are challenges with a Wonder Woman movie. She is a classic hero - Wearing a Classic Costume with Classic Weapons - With Superman-Godlike powers. Wonder Woman is an Icon too and that could be the reason the task is a little daunting, but don't you think we should get started on something here in the next little bit?

Ever wonder why the female heros are not really getting any movies? Its kinda crap don't ya think. ( I don't think Catwoman, The small Female Cameos in X-men, and Ms. Fantastic should count. - I have not seen Elektra yet).  Maybe Taylor Hicks in Super Girl *Gulp*?

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I want a Metal Men movie!!! 
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Benzo

YES!!!!! my wish has come true :D !!!!! 
    Now all we need is a... 

• wonder woman movie
    • Aquaman movie
    • Martian Manhunter movie
    • Firestorm movie
    • Hawk and Dove movie
    • JSA movie
    • Hawkman/ Hawk girl movie
    • Power Girl movie (FTW!!)
    • Blue Beetle movie
    • R.E.B.E.L.S movie
    • Spectre movie and a
    • Young justice movie!!! :)

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WW-Fan
    @ArachKnight said:
    "@WW-Fan said:
    "i want Wonder Woman Before The Flash!!! "
    Yes - Yes and Yes! Here comes my soapbox...... (arachknight grabs a milk crate and stands on the bottem) - k here we go.  First of all I love the Flash, I would be very excited to see a flash movie and I am sure if it had a great writer, director, and cast I would see it more than once :)  But Wonder Woman is part of the DC trinity. The Batman and Superman have had their movies - but no effort for Wonder Woman yet? I really hope that this means they are taking their time to make something really good. I know there are challenges with a Wonder Woman movie. She is a classic hero - Wearing a Classic Costume with Classic Weapons - With Superman-Godlike powers. Wonder Woman is an Icon too and that could be the reason the task is a little daunting, but don't you think we should get started on something here in the next little bit? Ever wonder why the female heros are not really getting any movies? Its kinda crap don't ya think. ( I don't think Catwoman, The small Female Cameos in X-men, and Ms. Fantastic should count. - I have not seen Elektra yet).  Maybe Taylor Hicks in Super Girl *Gulp*?   "

thats what i mean, Wonder Woman is in the Trinity one of the biggest and best known Superhero in DC universe with Sups and Batman she deserve her own movie! and very good one :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.