Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Superboy

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SupahForeigner

I'm pretty new to DC comics (Only ever read my dads Superman comic from 1971 when I was 9) Didn't know if this thread has been done before, if it has then my bad. I wanted to see if it was worth going into DC comics (I'm a Marvel comic reader, favourite characters are Deadpool, Thor, Psylocke; I don't like very popular characters normally, Thor being the exception.) And Superboy caught my eye, was wondering if you guys could give me any direction into which comics I should read to understand the character and if there is any other characters you advise me to read. I tend to enjoy reading any type of comic book, such as comedy (like Deadpool) and the normal serious stuff (like Thor, X-Force and etc). Thanks guys.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Video_Martian
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

you can catch up on the current incarnation of Superboy pretty easily through the Teen Titans and Superboy books....if you want to read the REAL Superboy then you should start with Geoff Johns' run on Teen Titans then Infinite Crisis, then Final Crisis Legion of Three Worlds, then the first 6 issues of Adventure Comics....those are the best appearances of him....you could also go waaaay back to the Young Justice series which was an excellent read though it's hard to find since there are so few trades for the series

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Martian

@danhimself: I'm not really a fan of his New 52 series, but that's just me anyway...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danhimself

@mr.obvious: he's my favorite character so I'm slightly biased towards it but I really miss the Pre 52 Superboy...Geoff Johns really did perfect the character during his run on Teen Titans and Adventure Comics....that Superboy was my favorite character and I'm hoping that as we get further into the New 52 he starts becoming more like his old self...I think we saw a little of him in this week's Teen Titans when he got excited when he saw that Tim was alive

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SupahForeigner

Ah thanks guys :D much appreciated!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sethysquare

@danhimself: Excuse me. What do u mean the real superboy. Who says the current version is fake. The current version if anything is closest to the animated version on young justice.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

@sethysquare: that doesn't mean anything to me...the REAL Superboy is the Pre 52 Superboy

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sethysquare

@danhimself: There is no real Superboy or fake superboy. Pre 52 Superboy has gone through so many revision. He started out as a disco guy with tactile telekinesis. What you like was just one incarnation of Superboy.That doesn't make the other versions fake. How would you like it if the fans of the 90s superboy called the geoff johns version that you so adore the fake version?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By the_tree

@danhimself said:

@sethysquare: that doesn't mean anything to me...the REAL Superboy is the Pre 52 Superboy

AGREED. Pre-Flashpoint Superboy just obliterates New 52 Superboy.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sethysquare

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

In terms of strength new 52 superboy owns pre flashpoint superboy

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself

@sethysquare said:

@danhimself: There is no real Superboy or fake superboy. Pre 52 Superboy has gone through so many revision. He started out as a disco guy with tactile telekinesis. What you like was just one incarnation of Superboy.That doesn't make the other versions fake. How would you like it if the fans of the 90s superboy called the geoff johns version that you so adore the fake version?

I'd call them liars

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_tree

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

In terms of character, Pre-Flashpoint Superboy owns Post-Flashpoint Superboy. I like characters for more than their capacity to beat people up.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By htb106

For the current Superboy you should read Superboy, Teen Titans and the recent issues of Legion lost.

You could also hunt down some of the old universe teen titans stories if you like the old version of the character more.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

In terms of character, Pre-Flashpoint Superboy owns Post-Flashpoint Superboy. I like characters for more than their capacity to beat people up.

this and pre 52 Superboy had all of his Kryptonian abilities and couldn't get sucker punched by someone that sneaks up on him....Pre 52 was definitely stronger

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sethysquare

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

this and pre 52 Superboy had all of his Kryptonian abilities and couldn't get sucker punched by someone that sneaks up on him....Pre 52 was definitely stronger

He was a villain. He was being manipulated by the wrong company to do what he thought was right. Then after he found out he was being manipulated he fought back and grew from there and would continue growing as a character. What did you guys expect? Him to have Clark Kent's values with only 6 months on this earth and has only been surrounded by people who betrayed him?

How can a character grow if he started out straight away as a boy scout. Besides, since you guys love the Geoff John's run, you'll know that Superboy has always struggled with his "evil" part of his DNA and have constantly been struggling with it.

Also, Superboy started with only TTK. Its the original version of the character. Superman currently only has super strength, flight, invulnerability and heat vision. Superboy already has all of them.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_tree

@sethysquare said:

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

He was a villain. He was being manipulated by the wrong company to do what he thought was right. Then after he found out he was being manipulated he fought back and grew from there and would continue growing as a character. What did you guys expect? Him to have Clark Kent's values with only 6 months on this earth and has only been surrounded by people who betrayed him?

How can a character grow if he started out straight away as a boy scout. Besides, since you guys love the Geoff John's run, you'll know that Superboy has always struggled with his "evil" part of his DNA and have constantly been struggling with it.

Also, Superboy started with only TTK. Its the original version of the character. Superman currently only has super strength, flight, invulnerability and heat vision. Superboy already has all of them.

I'm just saying that as a character he was vastly better in the Pre-Flashpoint form, and had tons of great character development. I'm not saying that he can't grow into a likable character Post-Flashpoint, but I am saying that I think it was a mistake to push him back to square one. I don't really want to see any of his mopey "I have a dark side" struggle played out like it is now, because I've already seen it recently, and done better than how Lobdell is doing it. Also, seeing him develop and come into his powers is part of what was fun about reading Superboy, him just starting out with them is boring.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sethysquare

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

I'm just saying that as a character he was vastly better in the Pre-Flashpoint form, and had tons of great character development. I'm not saying that he can't grow into a likable character Post-Flashpoint, but I am saying that I think it was a mistake to push him back to square one. I don't really want to see any of his mopey "I have a dark side" struggle played out like it is now, because I've already seen it recently, and done better than how Lobdell is doing it. Also, seeing him develop and come into his powers is part of what was fun about reading Superboy, him just starting out with them is boring.

He has to be pushed back to square one. Since Superman is rebooted, Supergirl and Superboy both have to be rebooted as well.

As for the I have a dark side struggle, it was never done the way Scott has done it and I think he did a great job.

As for seeing him develop his powers, as far as I know, his powers are already fully developed. Its just that they're going back to the roots of the original power, TTK. Which makes sense because DC wants to differentiate the spin off characters from each other. That dont want characters that are too similar, which is why Hawkboy was vetoed.

Just like how Kara now has her own sets of abilities different from Clark, so she can set herself apart from Clark as an independent character.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_tree

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@sethysquare said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

He has to be pushed back to square one. Since Superman is rebooted, Supergirl and Superboy both have to be rebooted as well.

As for the I have a dark side struggle, it was never done the way Scott has done it and I think he did a great job.

As for seeing him develop his powers, as far as I know, his powers are already fully developed. Its just that they're going back to the roots of the original power, TTK. Which makes sense because DC wants to differentiate the spin off characters from each other. That dont want characters that are too similar, which is why Hawkboy was vetoed.

Just like how Kara now has her own sets of abilities different from Clark, so she can set herself apart from Clark as an independent character.

I'm going to tell you now, I f****ing hate the DC Relaunch, so just about everything Pre-Relaunch DC, to me, is tremendously superior to Post-Relaunch DC. It's just a fight that we're never going to win against each other. You're not going to magically make me love the Post-Relaunch versions of these characters, I'm not going to magically make you love the Pre-Relaunch characters. It's a "to each his own" type thing, so I'm just going to end this argument now.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#20  Edited By Zoch81

For current Superboy just read new 52 Superboy which is great and he has became one of my favorite characters I find new Superboy way more interesting then old Superboy.

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SupahForeigner

Ah okay, thanks :) For some reason I've been looking at the new 52 relaunch comic reviews for batman, Superboy and so on. Most people seem to agree that the new Superboy series is not that good? Should I even bother with it if it's that bad or should I just go for it. I'm the kind of comic reader who likes characters such as Deadpool, Thor, Psylocke, Gambit and Iron man. (Only characters I can relate to are Marvel ones since I've only ever read Marvel comics.) If so, do you guys have any other recommendations other than Superboy?

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#22  Edited By Zoch81

I think new 52 Superboy book is great I like it I find interesting hence became my favorite character one my top 52 books you may like it you may not. What I like has tactile telekinetic powers which are powerful his personality developing also showed be damm smart plus Tron suit is badass and cool ( much better then jeans t-shirt look) other 52 books you may like I can only suggest what im read is Supergirl, Teen Titans Red Hood Aquaman maybe Batgirl and Superman.

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SupahForeigner

@Zoch81 said:

I think new 52 Superboy book is great I like it I find interesting hence became my favorite character one my top 52 books you may like it you may not. What I like has tactile telekinetic powers which are powerful his personality developing also showed be damm smart plus Tron suit is badass and cool ( much better then jeans t-shirt look) other 52 books you may like I can only suggest what im read is Supergirl, Teen Titans Red Hood Aquaman maybe Batgirl and Superman.

I'll give a look to the current Superboy run and see if it's my type, if not I'll give those others you said a try. Thanks :)

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sethysquare

@SupahForeigner said:

@Zoch81 said:

I'll give a look to the current Superboy run and see if it's my type, if not I'll give those others you said a try. Thanks :)

Yup I love the current Superboy. Actually the first few issues of Superboy were really well written and lotsa reviews on it were very good. I was convinced by Conner Kilapatrick from ifanboy to get Superboy #1 because I wasn't sure if I wanted to get it initially, but I fell in love with it afterwards.

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SupahForeigner

Awesome, definitely going to get the new 52 Superboy then :D thanks

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.