Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Source claims Didio says Wally and Donna are out

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By fodigg

While trolling through the #comics hashtag on twitter, @RBLeMoyne pointed me toward posts by @SpeedsterSite, a contributor over at GraphicSequential. In these tweets, Brandan (Speedster) refers to an interview he held with Dan Didio where the DC bigwig confirmed no Wally West or Donna Troy anywhere in the near future, citing their similarities to Barry and Diana respectively, and also Wally's kids in his case.

Tweets:

SpeedsterSite Brandan
    just had an excellent talk with Dan Didio. EXCELLENT. when I get a chance I'll update you all. I'm much less angry now
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    a lot of you will not like the quotes from Dan. And not just Wally fans. #Donna
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    @bottlecitykanga I tried bringing Roy into the convo but he didn't bite. I agree with you completely
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    Yeah, I probably won't make it into this justice league panel so here goes some highlights of my conversation with Dan Didio
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    You will not be seeing Wally for the foreseeable future.
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    Dan stated that the Perez era TT were very difficult to deal with because of their age.
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    Dan specifically stated that Wally's kids were a big reason why he's off the board.
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    When asked why iris and jai were aged up in the first place, Dan admitted poor planning
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    Dan mentioned that Donna Troy is off the board as well, especially because her similarities to Diana are too great.
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    He said its hard and very difficult to accept but eventually the perez era will be gone.
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    On a lighter note, Dan assured me that many creators (specifically @jamesdrobinson) are definitely involved in the future of DC
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    When kyle rayner's new book was brought up, Dan said it's much easier to branch out with green lantern than most titles
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    Dan also said that they realize they are pushing the limits of the bat books and that they may be "dwindled"
    SpeedsterSite Brandan
    we were able to record some of our conversation so hopefully the audio isn't horrible.
    Also, he gave me two poker chips. Lol

Tweets were collected by one RobStaegerover on the Bendis boards.

Obviously these quotes are second-hand until the interview gets posted and I'm unfamiliar with Brandan's writing, but it seems fairly legit. Looks grim for Donna and Wally fans.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

Damn

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Man, I really want to punch Didio today

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mercy_

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Crimson Eagle
    @The Dark Huntress said:

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Took the words right out of my mouth. 
    They can't take Wally and Donna away! That's cruelty! 
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adnan

They could bring Wally and Donna into the upcoming Justice Society ongoing taking place on Earth-2...right?

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By super_psycho

@cattlebattle said:

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By chalkshark

Wally's kids are the reason that he's no longer a valid character? Well, they erased Roy's daughter from history, seems they could have done the same for Wally's. I've yet to hear a truly compelling reason to drop Wally West from the DC Universe. Instead of coming up with one bullshit response after another, just say you hate the character & don't want him to play with the rest of your friends anymore. At least that would be honest. 

As far as Donna Troy goes... she's too much like Wonder Woman? Well, here's an easy fix for that. Don't write her that way anymore. I'll let you in on a little secret... she's not a real person. She's a fictional character having  impossible adventures in a fictional universe. Any good writer could take that character & craft exciting stories featuring her, that easily downplayed any similarities to Wonder Woman, while  at the same time emphasizing the differences. In a universe where every country has a knock-off of Batman running around, having  just one more Wonder Woman based character, in canon, doesn't seem like that big of  a deal. 

For those fans of the character currently mourning the loss of these two beloved characters, I have two things to say to help ease your pain. First, if Wally & Donna aren't part of the "New" DC Universe, that's not such a terrible thing. Think of all the characters that were completely ruined by the re-launch... Starfire, Oracle, Amanda Waller, Harley Quin, Green Arrow, etc, etc.... & thank your lucky stars that Wally & Donna were spared that indignity. Second, all it's going to take is one hot shot writer, or artist, who really wants to work with those characters, to bring them back. Think of how many characters that Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison or Neal Gaiman has rescued from obscurity & then gone on to make them relevant,,, even popular... again. Editorial will cave in the face of mega-talents. They want the prestige of saying this guy works for us, & they want the money that big names can generate. If Frank Miller decided he wanted to write & draw a Wally West/ Donna Troy series... God Help Us All... Didio would be bending over backwards to make it happen, while claiming that this was the plan, all along, to bring these much beloved characters back into the spotlight. Have patience. Things can change. Nothing in comics is forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@cattlebattle said:

You mean Didiot? That's my new name for him (lame I know)
    TheDynamo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheDynamo6
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
    This, but angrier...
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCrowbar

Yeah, I'm not to pleased with a lot of the changes Didio pushed with, but I understand the necessity of streamlining the comics.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By dernman

They could have erased Wally's kids and altered Donna to be different enough from Wonder Woman. They didn't have to erase them.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg

@chalkshark said:

Wally's kids are the reason that he's no longer a valid character? Well, they erased Roy's daughter from history, seems they could have done the same for Wally's. I've yet to hear a truly compelling reason to drop Wally West from the DC Universe. Instead of coming up with one bullshit response after another, just say you hate the character & don't want him to play with the rest of your friends anymore. At least that would be honest.

As far as Donna Troy goes... she's too much like Wonder Woman? Well, here's an easy fix for that. Don't write her that way anymore. I'll let you in on a little secret... she's not a real person. She's a fictional character having impossible adventures in a fictional universe. Any good writer could take that character & craft exciting stories featuring her, that easily downplayed any similarities to Wonder Woman, while at the same time emphasizing the differences. In a universe where every country has a knock-off of Batman running around, having just one more Wonder Woman based character, in canon, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. For those fans of the character currently mourning the loss of these two beloved characters, I have two things to say to help ease your pain. First, if Wally & Donna aren't part of the "New" DC Universe, that's not such a terrible thing. Think of all the characters that were completely ruined by the re-launch... Starfire, Oracle, Amanda Waller, Harley Quin, Green Arrow, etc, etc.... & thank your lucky stars that Wally & Donna were spared that indignity. Second, all it's going to take is one hot shot writer, or artist, who really wants to work with those characters, to bring them back. Think of how many characters that Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison or Neal Gaiman has rescued from obscurity & then gone on to make them relevant,,, even popular... again. Editorial will cave in the face of mega-talents. They want the prestige of saying this guy works for us, & they want the money that big names can generate. If Frank Miller decided he wanted to write & draw a Wally West/ Donna Troy series... God Help Us All... Didio would be bending over backwards to make it happen, while claiming that this was the plan, all along, to bring these much beloved characters back into the spotlight. Have patience. Things can change. Nothing in comics is forever.

/agree with pretty much everything, including the hopeful note going forward. Just a shame they cut these characters and that the Perez-era Titans are pretty much gone.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mercy_

@chalkshark said:

As far as Donna Troy goes... she's too much like Wonder Woman? Well, here's an easy fix for that. Don't write her that way anymore. I'll let you in on a little secret... she's not a real person. She's a fictional character having impossible adventures in a fictional universe. Any good writer could take that character & craft exciting stories featuring her, that easily downplayed any similarities to Wonder Woman, while at the same time emphasizing the differences. In a universe where every country has a knock-off of Batman running around, having just one more Wonder Woman based character, in canon, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. For those fans of the character currently mourning the loss of these two beloved characters, I have two things to say to help ease your pain. First, if Wally & Donna aren't part of the "New" DC Universe, that's not such a terrible thing. Think of all the characters that were completely ruined by the re-launch... Starfire, Oracle, Amanda Waller, Harley Quin, Green Arrow, etc, etc.... & thank your lucky stars that Wally & Donna were spared that indignity. Second, all it's going to take is one hot shot writer, or artist, who really wants to work with those characters, to bring them back. Think of how many characters that Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison or Neal Gaiman has rescued from obscurity & then gone on to make them relevant,,, even popular... again. Editorial will cave in the face of mega-talents. They want the prestige of saying this guy works for us, & they want the money that big names can generate. If Frank Miller decided he wanted to write & draw a Wally West/ Donna Troy series... God Help Us All... Didio would be bending over backwards to make it happen, while claiming that this was the plan, all along, to bring these much beloved characters back into the spotlight. Have patience. Things can change. Nothing in comics is forever.

I cosign this so damn hard.

Edit: Except for the it not being such a bad thing part.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By danhimself

I'm more bothered by Donna being gone than Wally....despite everyone else's reasons I never really saw a difference between Wally and Barry....especially since there were a lot of times the only way to tell it was Wally in a book was by looking at his costume carefully

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fodigg

@danhimself said:

I'm more bothered by Donna being gone than Wally....despite everyone else's reasons I never really saw a difference between Wally and Barry....especially since there were a lot of times the only way to tell it was Wally in a book was by looking at his costume carefully

Really? I don't mean to disrespect Donna here, I think she's a pretty unique character if only because she was such a "woobie" for so long, but I care more about Wally. Wally is SO much better than Barry, IMO. It is an insult to vanilla to say that Barry is too vanilla. Shortpacked!said it best:

Wally West was great in the comics and great in the Justice League cartoons. And now he's great as Kid Flash in the Young Justice cartoon. One of the few times I liked Barry in a book that wasn't an appearance in a Wally West Flash book was DC: The New Frontier, and there he was written more like Wally.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EnSabahNurX

O_O so they will be killing some batman titles O_O I wonder which ones, because it is a bit excessive though the batman books are better than most of the other dc books.

Anyway wally was more entertaining than barry, if they simply change wally's powers maybe throw in a twist to his power set and give him the name of Impulse and give him a very different costume you could have a cool book, we have 10 batman books with similar characters i think we can have 3 different flashes, 2 solos and one in TT lol

As for dana troy honestly give her some tweaked powers and write her differently, I never really thought of diana and her as the same. Heck they could set up her own mythos that truly sets her apart from diana.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fodigg

@EnSabahNurX said:

O_O so they will be killing some batman titles O_O I wonder which ones, because it is a bit excessive though the batman books are better than most of the other dc books.

Anyway wally was more entertaining than barry, if they simply change wally's powers maybe throw in a twist to his power set and give him the name of Impulse and give him a very different costume you could have a cool book, we have 10 batman books with similar characters i think we can have 3 different flashes, 2 solos and one in TT lol

As for dana troy honestly give her some tweaked powers and write her differently, I never really thought of diana and her as the same. Heck they could set up her own mythos that truly sets her apart from diana.

I think that's what really bothers me. We're told we can't have too many Flashes or too many Wonder Womans, and yet we have a TON of Batman books (and I'm still hoping two more show up) and we have a ton of Green Lantern books. I understand putting your best foot forward but I thought the revamp was supposed to change stuff and this feels about the same as far as Batman and GL getting special treatment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.