Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Some DC advice please

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By chem86

With how much I love comics, I find it funny how little I still know about DC. I've never been a marvel "fanboy", the one's who won't even touch DC, or visa versa. Marvel just happens to have my two main comics and from there I learned about the rest of marvel. Any way I'm looking to check out some DC stuff but I really don't know where to start and I really don't just like any comic book. My two main comics are Deadpool and Hulk, also like scarlet spider, uncanny xforce, and thunderbolts. Basically I find myself liking the anti-hero's the most. Not limited to only anti hero's thou, but can anyone here that knows both DC and marvel recommend me some DC stuff to check out based off the above titles I mentioned. thanks for any help :)

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler
    • Aquaman
    • Wonder Woman
    • Demon Knights
    • I, Vampire
    • Animal Man
    • Swamp Thing
    • Justice League Dark
    • Threshold

Haven't read Deathstroke but I've heard the series has become pretty damn good as of issue 15. Also, Green Arrow is getting a new (good) creative team this month, so I recommend you check that out as well. And no, I'm not recommending Batman because you were probably going to read that anyway.

Oh, and there's Red Hood and the Outlaws too. I don't like that series so I can't recommend it, but some other people do and since you're a new reader you may like it as well.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@chem86: Are you focused specifically on learning about stuff from the New 52 or are you curious about DC in general? There's lots of great stories from prior to the New 52 that it'd be a shame to miss, but either way is fine.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By tupiaz

Mike Greil's Green Arrow is pretty anti-hero or at least kill.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chem86

@Crash_Recovery: Not just new 52 but all of DC, and I know this might shock a lot of people, but I've never been that big of a bat man fan, more of superman kinda guy. but really I don't anything DC other than superman and batman, and even then I know little about them.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crash_Recovery

I highly recommend Grant Morrison and Howard Porter's JLA. It helped get me back into comics after childhood and it was a good introduction to some of the bigger guns of the DC universe.

The first storyline is fast paced and fun and cheaply available online.

http://www.amazon.com/JLA-Book-New-World-Order/dp/156389369X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360014199&sr=8-1&keywords=jla+new+world+order

I'd suggest start with that and if any characters catch your eye, branch out from there.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chem86

@Crash_Recovery: Thanks ill check it out for sure

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmashBrawler

@chem86: If you like Superman more than Batman, then I recommend you check out Action Comics as well. Now, if you need recommendations from DC in general...

I guess I'll list some from different characters and stuff:

Superman

• Man of Steel (and the rest of John Byrne's run)
    • For All Seasons
    • Birthright
    • Last Son
    • Escape from Bizarro World
    • Superman and Legion of Super Heroes
    • Brainiac
    • Earth One (Vol. 1 and 2) <--- Especially recommended if you're a new Superman reader
    • Superman and the Men of Steel
    • All Star Superman
    • Red Son

Batman

• Year One
    • The Man Who Laughs
    • The Long Halloween
    • Dark Victory
    • The Killing Joke
    • A Death in the Family
    • Knightfall
    • Cataclysm
    • No Man's Land
    • Grant Morrison's run
    • Gotham by Gaslight
    • Thrillkiller
    • Gotham Noir

Wonder Woman

• George Perez's run
    • Greg Rucka's run
    • Gail Simone's run
    • A League of One
    • Brian Azzarello's run

Green Lantern

• Emerald Dawn I & II
    • Green Lantern/Green Arrow
    • Willworld
    • Ganthet's Tale
    • Geoff Johns' run
    • Green Lantern Corps (post Rebirth)
    • Alan Moore's stories

The Flash

• Pretty much all of Vol 2, from Mike Baron to Geoff Johns (especially stuff like The Return of Barry Allen and Blitz)
    • The Flash & Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold
    • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge

Yeah, I know it looks like I'm not recommending much, but my first recommendation are 200+ issues, so I think that's enough for now ;)

Aquaman

• Peter David's run
    • Aquaman Vol 6
    • Geoff Johns' run

Justice League of America

• JLA: Year One
    • JLA: Incanations
    • JLI/JLE
    • Morrison's run
    • Mark Waid's run
    • Joe Kelly's run
    • Kingdom Come
    • The New Frontier
    • Riddle of the Beast
    • The Nail & Another Nail

List any characters or teams you're interested in!

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@chem86: Sure thing.

There are a lot of good stories about a lot of characters, but you might want to start with something like JLA to get a nice sampling.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chem86

@Crash_Recovery said:

@chem86: Sure thing.

There are a lot of good stories about a lot of characters, but you might want to start with something like JLA to get a nice sampling.

exactly what I was thinking

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chem86

@SmashBrawler said:

@chem86: If you like Superman more than Batman, then I recommend you check out Action Comics as well. Now, if you need recommendations from DC in general...

I guess I'll list some from different characters and stuff:

Superman

• Man of Steel (and the rest of John Byrne's run)
    • For All Seasons
    • Birthright
    • Last Son
    • Escape from Bizarro World
    • Superman and Legion of Super Heroes
    • Brainiac
    • Earth One (Vol. 1 and 2) <--- Especially recommended if you're a new Superman reader
    • Superman and the Men of Steel
    • All Star Superman
    • Red Son

Batman

• Year One
    • The Man Who Laughs
    • The Long Halloween
    • Dark Victory
    • The Killing Joke
    • A Death in the Family
    • Knightfall
    • Cataclysm
    • No Man's Land
    • Grant Morrison's run
    • Gotham by Gaslight
    • Thrillkiller
    • Gotham Noir

Wonder Woman

• George Perez's run
    • Greg Rucka's run
    • Gail Simone's run
    • A League of One
    • Brian Azzarello's run

Green Lantern

• Emerald Dawn I & II
    • Green Lantern/Green Arrow
    • Willworld
    • Ganthet's Tale
    • Geoff Johns' run
    • Green Lantern Corps (post Rebirth)
    • Alan Moore's stories

The Flash

• Pretty much all of Vol 2, from Mike Baron to Geoff Johns (especially stuff like The Return of Barry Allen and Blitz)
    • The Flash & Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold
    • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge

Yeah, I know it looks like I'm not recommending much, but my first recommendation are 200+ issues, so I think that's enough for now ;)

Aquaman

• Peter David's run
    • Aquaman Vol 6
    • Geoff Johns' run

Justice League of America

• JLA: Year One
    • JLA: Incanations
    • JLI/JLE
    • Morrison's run
    • Mark Waid's run
    • Joe Kelly's run
    • Kingdom Come
    • The New Frontier
    • Riddle of the Beast
    • The Nail & Another Nail

List any characters or teams you're interested in!

good list of key stuff to check out, thanks

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmashBrawler

@chem86: No probs, a long-ass list of recommendations always comes in handy :P

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@chem86: Have you found anything you'd like to read yet?

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chem86

@Crash_Recovery: I haven't yet unfortunately, I've check out some JLA and some other stuff but haven't found anything that I really like (only read first 4 issues of JLA thou). I did kinda like the red hood and outlaws, and kinda like the green lantern character and wonder women from JLA, and an issue of animal man seem to have some promise...But sadly I feel like I'm trying to force myself to like these too much, I like them for sure but I don't love them enough I'd start a collection for them, I'd read them casual maybe. I'd really love to find something in DC that just becomes one of the my mainstays, something I pick up every issue each month for sure, something I just can't wait to read and see what happens next, to learn more about the character ya know.

I think I haven't found any characters I feel I can relate to yet in DC. Bruce Banner and Wade Wilson are two characters I feel represent parts of me in one way or another, I wanna find that in a DC character. I kind of liked red hood as a character in this way, but something felt off and not right... maybe it was because he's a batman character, and I'm one of the few that just don't like batman at all. maybe it's the fact he looks so much like deadpool, and I feel he could never live up to my idea of wade wilson. Or maybe it's I haven't looked hard enough it, and read deep enough to understand the characters.

I hope I find some DC soon I'm really into, cause like said I feel like I'm just trying to force myself to like something... and that won't last for long

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@chem86 said:

@Crash_Recovery: I haven't yet unfortunately, I've check out some JLA and some other stuff but haven't found anything that I really like (only read first 4 issues of JLA thou). I did kinda like the red hood and outlaws, and kinda like the green lantern character and wonder women from JLA, and an issue of animal man seem to have some promise...But sadly I feel like I'm trying to force myself to like these too much, I like them for sure but I don't love them enough I'd start a collection for them, I'd read them casual maybe. I'd really love to find something in DC that just becomes one of the my mainstays, something I pick up every issue each month for sure, something I just can't wait to read and see what happens next, to learn more about the character ya know.

I think I haven't found any characters I feel I can relate to yet in DC. Bruce Banner and Wade Wilson are two characters I feel represent parts of me in one way or another, I wanna find that in a DC character. I kind of liked red hood as a character in this way, but something felt off and not right... maybe it was because he's a batman character, and I'm one of the few that just don't like batman at all. maybe it's the fact he looks so much like deadpool, and I feel he could never live up to my idea of wade wilson. Or maybe it's I haven't looked hard enough it, and read deep enough to understand the characters.

I hope I find some DC soon I'm really into, cause like said I feel like I'm just trying to force myself to like something... and that won't last for long

Batwoman and Shadowpact would be my recommendations. Someone else already suggested Justice League Dark, which is also really good.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@chem86 said:

Batwoman and Shadowpact would be my recommendations. Someone else already suggested Justice League Dark, which is also really good.

Those might be good picks for you.

Don't be afraid to try books that aren't part of the New 52.

Justice League Elite was a fun 12 issue series. The current Uncanny X-Force books borrowed a bit conceptually from it. Essentially the JLA has an unofficial covert branch consisting of a few JLA members (Flash, Green Arrow) combined with a few "reformed" villains who. The group has a commission to act preemptively and covertly, removing threats before they become a problem. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Elite-VOL-01/dp/1401204813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361464852&sr=8-1&keywords=justice+league+elite

The DCU Nightwing (and the New 52) are both pretty fun. Nightwing is what you get when you strip the angst away from Batman. The art on the DCU book was phenomenal and though it's out of print, you can buy issues on comixology for cheap. Or just check out the New 52 book.

http://www.amazon.com/Nightwing-Vol-Bludhaven-Chuck-Dixon/dp/1563894254/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361465004&sr=8-8&keywords=nightwing

If you think you might like Green Lantern, start with Secret Origin. It simultaneous gives you an idea of where he's coming from and where he's going. From there, just start at the beginning of Geoff Johns run (since Secret Origin was written part way through that) and enjoy some of the HUGE stories like Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Knight.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Secret-Geoff-Johns/dp/1401230865/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361465184&sr=8-1&keywords=green+lantern+origin

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chem86

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Thanks, I'll check those out, I haven't checked out justice league dark yet but I've heard a lot of people say good stuff about it. Justice league dark is next on my list to check out!

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chem86

@Crash_Recovery: Justice league elite sounds perfect for me! I have really enjoyed uncanny x-force! So I will for sure check that out soon, that and justice league dark sound like the best place for me to try next.

Secret Origins sounds good too, I enjoy learn about the character beyond their powers.

Gotta say thanks again for bein so cool and tryin to help me find something in DC I can connect with! :)

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@chem86: My pleasure. That's the upside of having a place you can talk about interests and hobbies. The downside is fanboy flamewars :)

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chem86

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: After checking out a bit from everything recommended I finally found something in DC I know I will pick up every issue for sure...Batwoman. Totally love batwoman, the writing is great for the characters, good story, and the art is absolutely amazing! I've only checked out 0-4 so far but I love it so far! Every month for sure now I will be picking up deadpool, hulk, and now batwomen. Great recommendation, and it's totally something I would have never check out on my own.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chem86

@Crash_Recovery: Really liked Justice league elite! only wish it was longer, for sure a lot like uncanny x-force. Still haven't check out secret origins yet but it's on my list

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@chem86: If you're a fan of Hulk, try Swamp Thing. It goes without saying he's a misunderstood outcast, but there's a great deal of depth to him, and in some realms, much like Hulk, he is considered a decorated hero. My advice would be to start with the old Alan Moore books that got me hooked on Swamp Thing:

Swamp Thing #51, #52, #53, and #55

Scott Snyder's New 52 Swamp Thing runs have been great too :)

Deathstroke would be the obvious answer to Deadpool, but try Nightwing; if you like Wade for his dry, snarky comments, Dick Grayson is a pretty good match!

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@chem86 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: After checking out a bit from everything recommended I finally found something in DC I know I will pick up every issue for sure...Batwoman. Totally love batwoman, the writing is great for the characters, good story, and the art is absolutely amazing! I've only checked out 0-4 so far but I love it so far! Every month for sure now I will be picking up deadpool, hulk, and now batwomen. Great recommendation, and it's totally something I would have never check out on my own.

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it. I'd recommend getting the Batwoman: Elegy TPB for some backstory, or the single comics if you can find them.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#24  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@chem86 said:

With how much I love comics, I find it funny how little I still know about DC. I've never been a marvel "fanboy", the one's who won't even touch DC, or visa versa. Marvel just happens to have my two main comics and from there I learned about the rest of marvel. Any way I'm looking to check out some DC stuff but I really don't know where to start and I really don't just like any comic book. My two main comics are Deadpool and Hulk, also like scarlet spider, uncanny xforce, and thunderbolts. Basically I find myself liking the anti-hero's the most. Not limited to only anti hero's thou, but can anyone here that knows both DC and marvel recommend me some DC stuff to check out based off the above titles I mentioned. thanks for any help :)

Check out Animal Man, Swampthing, Deathstroke ( Really good But it's ending), Justice League of America, and read DAREDEVIL by mark weid AND PUNISHER by Greg Rucka from Marvel!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.