Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

So, I'm absolutely new to comics... new 52 zero omnibus??

isac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a pretty avid book reader, but never really got into comics. Recently I've read Fables and New 52 Batman's Vol 1 and liked them a lot though, so I'm interested in getting into comics through the New 52. I've already looked around a bit and found some New 52 titles I want to start reading (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Action Comics, Superman, Justice League, The Flash, Earth 2 and Swamp Thing)

However, I've also recently come across a New 52 omnibus which features all the New 52 #0 issues going for about £70. Now, I'm on a bit of a limited budget, so should I just use those £70 and dive right into the Vol 1 graphic novels of the titles I've mentioned, or should I go with the omnibus? Would the omnibus pave my way for the New 52 and make my comic book experience generally more enjoyable? Is it essential reading? Or not really worth it?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I didn't read all of the #0 issues, so maybe my answer shouldn't be taken absolutely seriously.

The #0 issues came out after #12 of each series, so they probably aren't necessary to read before starting at #1 of any series you may be interested in. I think most of them were to add a little extra backstory to the characters. I think the #0 issues are all individually printed in the TPBs of the series they came from, so you would come across the ones you'd be interested in eventually.

Welcome to Comic Vine by the way. :)

isac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read all of the #0 issues, so maybe my answer shouldn't be taken absolutely seriously.

The #0 issues came out after #12 of each series, so they probably aren't necessary to read before starting at #1 of any series you may be interested in. I think most of them were to add a little extra backstory to the characters. I think the #0 issues are all individually printed in the TPBs of the series they came from, so you would come across the ones you'd be interested in eventually.

Welcome to Comic Vine by the way. :)

Oh wow, I had no idea about the bold part there lol. I had been looking at all the Volume 1's from the TPBs and didn't find any that featured the #0 issues, so I figured they just wouldn't come with the TPBs. But now that you mentioned them being issued after the #12 of each series, I looked at the Volume 2, 3 and 4's of each series I'm interested in and you're right, the #0 issues are all in there!

Many thanks my friend, you have just saved me £70 lol. And thanks for the welcome. :)

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isac23: No problem, hope you enjoy whatever you get. :)

I think the only New 52 comic that started with a #0 issue is Batwoman, but it had a second one after #12 too. Used to be a great series, if you're looking to try some other stuff sometime. :)

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isac23: I would personally just jump into the series as opposed to the zero issue omnibus. You will get a lot of background with the zero issues, but a lot of it is just extra information that doesn't really add all that much to the story in my opinion. I think you will get more enjoyment by picking up the volumes because you get a lot more story on characters you care about instead of a 20 page origin for all the ongoing stories in which you might not care about 75% of them.

My favorite DC series have been Aquaman, Flash, and Swamp Thing. All three have been very good from the first issue to now. Batman is also good. Green Arrow had a phenomenal run with Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino, but it didn't start until issue 17 and just ended with issue 34. The first 16 issues were atrocious (well the first 8 that I read before I dropped it were horrible, but I didn't hear that improved in quality either until issue 17).

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@isac23: Honestly getting that would be a huge waste of money.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isac23: I would advise against buying the zero omnibus as most of the zero issues will be covered in the personal hero's volume like wonder wan #0 will be in wonder woman vol too.

On a side note pick up green arrow vol kill machine. Its a soft reboot and u won't regret it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.